Started on: 08-16-2011 12:04 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: hnthomps on 08-17-2011 09:12 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
I'm very excited!

Unfortunately, we cannot afford for me to lose many hours at work, so I'll be trying to juggle 13 hours at school, around 36 hours at work, and volunteering as an adult leader for my boy's Scout troop (though I'm afraid that if any have to give, it will have to be the Scouts).

Any guesses as to what program?

------------------
Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Electro-mechanical engineering =P.

Sigh I'm going to love taking thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, statistics, chem, metrology, and CAD (not the intro autocad course) this semester. I'm going to die.
Bwhit12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bwhit12Send a Private Message to Bwhit12Direct Link to This Post
Looks like you will be building things. I will be starting school back up on Monday at Northern Kentucky University. School = 15 hours, Coop @ P&G = 40 hours, and me = no life/dead!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Electro-mechanical engineering =P.

Sigh I'm going to love taking thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, statistics, chem, metrology, and CAD (not the intro autocad course) this semester. I'm going to die.

There's a reason everyone in my thermo ii class called it thermogaddamits.
Taking it in Summer Session was a BAD idea.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bwhit12:

Looks like you will be building things. I will be starting school back up on Monday at Northern Kentucky University. School = 15 hours, Coop @ P&G = 40 hours, and me = no life/dead!

You're at P&G? I could throw a rock and almost hit you. Just a few blocks away.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Good guesses! I'm starting out in the "alternative Energy" program at Tulsa Community College. Its supposed to be a two-year program, but I already have an AA so I do not need to take all the classes. If I like it and I do well enough I may transfer into the EE program at OSU.

There are a lot of "green jobs" popping up in Oklahoma, most notably wind generation, something I've had a serious interest in the past decade or so (as evidenced by my Earthship thread) so its a good fit for me. My only regret is that this program wasn't around in 2004 when I received my AA.
nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

There's a reason everyone in my thermo ii class called it thermogaddamits.
Taking it in Summer Session was a BAD idea.

Yeah its notorious for being the most difficult class in the MET curriculum- at least in my school.. It doesn't help that the prof I have this semester for the class is a hardass.

Thats a pretty interesting program, we have nothing like that at my school unfortunately.. It would be cool if they could come up with programs like that.
Bwhit12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bwhit12Send a Private Message to Bwhit12Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rainman:

You're at P&G? I could throw a rock and almost hit you. Just a few blocks away.

Well I will be starting there on the 29th of this month. Just landed the Coop this summer. It is a full time coop while in school and once I graduate (Hopefully Fall 2012) I will have a full time job waiting for me. Where do you work at/ live/ where are you going to be throwing rocks from?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Here's the program description:

ELECTRONICS TECHNOLOGY
Alternative Energy Option
Workforce Development Degree

Program Description:
This multi-functional program is designed for students
interested in working with alternative/renewable energy.
Oklahoma is ranked 8th in the United States for wind mill
utility operation and is growing with the reduced cost of
manufacturing solar cells. The student will measure and
analyze both wind and solar power systems. This program will
also study Biofuels and Hydrogen power conversion systems

Degree Awarded: Associate in Applied Science

Also worth noting is that my Air Force Radar classes will allow me to transfer through a bit of the technical classes as well.

------------------
Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Congrats OK I'm sure you'll have fun and enjoy what you are doing. I head back to classes myself in about a week and a half for Enviro Science at the local community college for now. Planning to transfer to either Kutztown University for their Enviro Science program, or to Southern Oregon University (leaning towards the latter, since it fills one of my life's goals of living and working in Oregon).

Best of luck to ya

-XB
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Really? Thermodynamics was one of the easiest courses at Michigan Tech. Almost never went to class, just read the book, and went to all the labs and exams, got a 4.0.

Chemistry and statistics were a PITA. Worst was Dynamics.

Lots of jobs in electrical engineering, if you can get a BSEE you shouldn't have TOO much trouble getting a job.
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. And good luck to you too, nitroheadz28, Bwhit12 and XB! I'm really excited about it, but also a little scared. Not about school, per se, I'm a pretty good student. I am worried about trying to balance school and work. I'm just hoping I can keep it together. We'll see...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 08-16-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Thanks guys. And good luck to you too, nitroheadz28, Bwhit12 and XB! I'm really excited about it, but also a little scared. Not about school, per se, I'm a pretty good student. I am worried about trying to balance school and work. I'm just hoping I can keep it together. We'll see...

Its never easy trying to balance full time school with work, but it can be done

Finally got registered for classes today, first class is on Monday. Took me since the end of April to get registered They kinda jerked me around a bit (without at least buying me dinner first ) but its all taken care of....Had to take the damn Compass test again because they "don't accept scores from other schools", even though it was the same damn test I took before (and I mean literally almost the same test. The reading portion was the same, and the math section was pretty close)
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Really? Thermodynamics was one of the easiest courses at Michigan Tech. Almost never went to class, just read the book, and went to all the labs and exams, got a 4.0.

Chemistry and statistics were a PITA. Worst was Dynamics.

Lots of jobs in electrical engineering, if you can get a BSEE you shouldn't have TOO much trouble getting a job.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't care for stats. Chemistry is actually pretty cool, organic....well that's another story. Basic engineering thermo is sort of cool too, it starts to really make you hate life when you get to the higher level thermo courses.
Bwhit12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bwhit12Send a Private Message to Bwhit12Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

It's not to hard if you are dedicated. You just have to spend the majority of your free time doing school work. It ALWAYS helps to research your profs before you schedule courses too. I don't know if your school is on this website, but this should help some college guys out.

ratemyprofessor.com

Gives you all the details on the profs and lets you know if you will be getting any eye candy too! Can't beat having a good looking prof teaching you engineering. Sure would make me pay closer attention.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Yeah its notorious for being the most difficult class in the MET curriculum- at least in my school.. It doesn't help that the prof I have this semester for the class is a hardass.

Thats a pretty interesting program, we have nothing like that at my school unfortunately.. It would be cool if they could come up with programs like that.

If you think Thermo is a difficult class, just wait until you see a few of the other ones required for engineering! I especially disliked second semester differential equations (LaPlace Transforms and other interesting things) but you do what is necessary to get the degree and eat.

Nelson

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock