Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Addiction Now Defined As A Brain Disorder, Not A Behavior Issue (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Addiction Now Defined As A Brain Disorder, Not A Behavior Issue by Boondawg
Started on: 08-15-2011 08:23 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: carnut122 on 08-17-2011 09:50 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Soooo, I can deduct my loses for my next Vegas trip as "medical expenses"?
IP: Logged
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

One category of drug and alcohol abuse that hasn't been mentioned yet is the person with an underlying mental condition (psychological and/or organic) who self-medicates in an attempt to control the disorder ... almost always without success.

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I am an acting (I say acting becouse I chose to quit for no reason) addict and I believe I was born with a brain "disorder" that drove me to self-medicate to mask the symptoms.

Any time you mention something that I have already thought of (although this is actually the first time that has ever happened), I feel VERY smart.
Thank you for being you!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-17-2011).]

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

LOL! No, but you may be able to receive treatment for any depression symptoms upon your return! (Unless you win big of course!)

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Why not?

I wrote off my drug use one year as "landscaping" (for pot) and "snow removal" (for cocaine.)

A few years later, I had to explain to the IRS how I did either when my primary address was a condo in West Hollywood.

Give it a shot...Let us know if you get away with it.

Of course, if you get caught, say "hello" to Bubba for us, won't you?

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 08-17-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

I wrote off my drug use one year as "landscaping" (for pot) and "snow removal" (for cocaine.)

High as hell on April 15?
Been there.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

In many ways you're right.

On an extremely personal level, I was dual addicted: cocaine as my "drug of choice" and alcohol which was more or less a by-product of my cocaine abuse. But even in that instance, the definition of addiction is relative to the impact the abuse has ....or had on an individual. For example, I can have a glass of wine and am not driven to finish the bottle BUT I can't even be in the same room with someone using cocaine....not because my determination to maintain my sobriety is that fragile but rather I ask myself "Why place yourself in an uncomfortable position?"

Anyway, most addicts I know have a history of abusing more than one substance at any given time.

Thanks for the insight. Fortunately, I'm from the outside looking in. I've smoked and drank, but walking away from both was as easy as quitting bean dip. My greatest addiction is chocolate, but after a binge, I can go weeks without it. Yeah, I know it's no comparison to cocaine. I'm glad that you've moved beyond.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock