The craziest wheels you've ever seen! by 1fatcat
Started on: 08-14-2011 10:57 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: FieroRumor on 08-15-2011 08:46 AM
1fatcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
They are called Mecanum wheels.

http://youtu.be/IlmKcohyXG0
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
About time they reinvented the wheel!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
They've been around for a while... look in the background of the newest Star Trek and maybe Dances with Smurfs as well. I know I've seen them on screen a couple times.

Kind of awesome. Pointlessly complex.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Syn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynSend a Private Message to SynDirect Link to This Post
that reminds me of the wheel system on the Audi from iRobot. They even went so far in the special features to even tell us what they were comprised of lol.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
What a mechanical nightmare to service. "Hey one of my wheels is stuck"

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-14-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

They've been around for a while... look in the background of the newest Star Trek and maybe Dances with Smurfs as well. I know I've seen them on screen a couple times.

Kind of awesome. Pointlessly complex.

I seen them last night on an old mythbusters show. They only had a quick glimps of them (on their forklift), as they had nothing to do with the show. But what I saw was so crazy, I had to look for more info on them. Not saying it's gonna be the next automotive tire, I just thought it was a very interesting design.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

I seen them last night on an old mythbusters show. They only had a quick glimps of them (on their forklift), as they had nothing to do with the show. But what I saw was so crazy, I had to look for more info on them. Not saying it's gonna be the next automotive tire, I just thought it was a very interesting design.

Search a show called Prototype This, or something like that. Those wheels were a segment before the busters used them. The show was about manufacturing prototypes.
Like the show Junkyard Wars, it started off as a cool show but lost its luster.

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Search a show called Prototype This, or something like that. Those wheels were a segment before the busters used them. The show was about manufacturing prototypes.
Like the show Junkyard Wars, it started off as a cool show but lost its luster.

I didn't like junk yard wars. It seemed too staged to me. There was one episode they had to build a blimp and just so happened to find large quantities of some aircraft foil and model airplane propellers just lying around in a junk yard...yeah, right.
Sorry, this is off topic, but beings it's my post and already in off topic, this should be ok. Right?

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Somehow, I just don't see those wheels on anything NASCAR is running. Interesting though way to complex and most likely maintenance heavy for most practical applications.

------------------
Ron

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

I didn't like junk yard wars. It seemed too staged to me. There was one episode they had to build a blimp and just so happened to find large quantities of some aircraft foil and model airplane propellers just lying around in a junk yard...yeah, right.
Sorry, this is off topic, but beings it's my post and already in off topic, this should be ok. Right?

I agree 100%, that is how it lost its luster

MJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MJSend a Private Message to MJDirect Link to This Post
The fab/machine shop that I worked at last made a few prototype main frames for Airtrax forklifts. I did most of the machine work on them. One of the owners of Airtrax died about 5 or 6 years ago and we lost the account. I think Airtrax actually shut down there for a while. There were still complete Airtrax bodies, frames and tons of parts we made that they payed for and never picked up there when I left.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Saw them once in Radio Shack.. some RC Car thingie had 'em. (edit : the Vex) also I think there's a kids robot tow with 'em.

Interesting design...

Print your own!

http://hackaday.com/2010/04...-mecanum%C2%A0wheel/

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 08-15-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock