Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Bank safe deposit boxes - used/useful/safe anymore?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Bank safe deposit boxes - used/useful/safe anymore? by Rainman
Started on: 08-13-2011 09:04 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Rainman on 08-15-2011 09:28 AM
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I recently made an executive decision and dropped our local credit union (I only joined because when we got married a few years ago my wife strongly insisted I switch to her bank) and opened a new account with a national bank. One of the benefits with this account is up to two free safe deposit boxes in the size(s) of our choosing. I declined at the time, but am wondering if they are useful for much. I keep important stuff in a (good) safe at home, but anyone determined enough can steal anything, including safe deposit boxes.

Any use for one? Good idea to get one and transfer papers and such into one?

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 08-13-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Click Here to Email avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
If you have expensive jewelry and really important papers (like a birth certificate, passport, etc.) that you wouldn't want someone to steal from your home or that could be destroyed in a home fire, it is best to keep them in a safety deposit box at the bank.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
A bank safe deposit box is much more likely to survive a fire, flood, etc. that would destroy your home and most home safes.
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scClick Here to Email silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post
I have a sister-in-law who took it upon herself to "sell" an S10 that I have. Luckily my wife and I decided to get a safe deposit box for our gold, silver, titles, documents... I was able to produce the original title even though they (my sister-in-law and her boyfriend, the court house never asked for ID and actually processed the application!!!!) applied for a replacement. With out the original title I'm afraid to guess what would have happened. My father-in-law kept a lot of my mother-in-law's jewelry when she passed away. My sister-in-law managed to pawn all that before he realized that it was missing. So I would say yes they are very useful especially when you have criminals in the family. AND if family is associated with criminals. Her boyfriend has spent 8 years off and on in prison for theft, and drugs. We were able to look up a lot of his friends and they all have records.

Rich
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

A bank safe deposit box is much more likely to survive a fire, flood, etc. that would destroy your home and most home safes.

Just be sure that is what it is. My bank offers a 'storage box' its not a 'safe box'. While secure it will not protect against natural disasters.

I have typical stuff in mine. Birth records, titles, a tiny bit of cash ( wish it was a huge amount instead ), copies of my scanned/digital photos.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 08-14-2011).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..The average person does not have a Box
they are for very important papers ,if you have valubles worth over $10,000 you should keep the documents on them in a box this includes cars,,very seldom to crooks get into a bank vault.
..you can keep copies of documents, titles at home it does not take long to retrieve your needed documents over the week end is the longest you wait .
a free safe box is a gift from the financial gods,, you never expect to need it ,,but many people this year have had fires, floods, Tornadoes.thiesfing relatives & friends.
Expensive Jewelry hierlooms should be kept in safe place like hidden behind a wall socket cover,,in a steel box you will be able to easily retrieve it when you want to look special for your Goddess,
Large sums of cash from your Fiero dealing are secured in a closet in the walls,, the outside wall !! that is difficult to check because you have to stick your head in and look back..
,,when ever I cross dress ,after my lipstick & mascara,,I remove the light fixture(4 screws) & retreive my gold diamond ear rings that give me that hi class slut look,, other wise i look the obese ugly guy in a skirt
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Worth every penny - just select the right size for your needs -- best place for important papers - jewelry - etc --- Credit union is often the better choice for loans!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

,,when ever I cross dress ,after my lipstick & mascara,,I remove the light fixture(4 screws) & retreive my gold diamond ear rings that give me that hi class slut look,, other wise i look the obese ugly guy in a skirt

*shudder*

Better than trying to 'trick hide' things ( *real* thieves know all the tricks ) is not to hide them at all. Just get a huge bolt down safe stuck in a closet ( or like a friend of mine did, he made the safe his closet. Built it himself out of plate steel and concrete. Bought the door/lock ). And a good alarm.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Just be sure that is what it is. My bank offers a 'storage box' its not a 'safe box'. While secure it will not protect against natural disasters.

I have typical stuff in mine. Birth records, titles, a tiny bit of cash ( wish it was a huge amount instead ), copies of my scanned/digital photos.

True. It would need to be in the bank's vault to be worthwhile, IMO.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
If they are truly free, I'd probably get one. I know the safe deposit boxes at my bank would survive most natural disasters (especially considering its MN).
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Worth it?

Yes yes yes yes yes!

For all the reasons everyone else has listed above and:

They are a secure place to keep Originals or at least certified copies of all your important documents--INCLUDING insurance policies, and a last will and testament (make sure some one you absoulutely trust has some sort of legal access to that SD box IMMEDIATELY upon your demise).
note:
Before getting and filling a box, Read and familiarize yourself, with what the laws are in YOUR state, regarding what happens to both your accounts and any items in your SFD as soon as the bank becomes aware of your demise.
PFF
System Bot
Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Thanks everyone; I'm convinced, I'll set at least one up this week and transfer a bunch of stuff into it.

Thanks.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock