Recycled engine oil by 1fatcat
Started on: 08-13-2011 07:28 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: tesmith66 on 08-17-2011 12:46 PM
1fatcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have thoughts on this stuff? Nextgen oil by Valvoline.
http://nextgen.valvoline.co...S1zaoCFUi8KgodkFdazg

They say it goes through the same process of refinement as crude oil does when manufacturing new oil, so it's exactly like brand new oil.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
My only thought is that I'll be a donor, but not a recipient. I'll let others guinea pig this stuff.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 392
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Its not just the impurities I worry about but what does the heat do to the oil over and over again.
How many times can you recycle something. Now if they could figure out how to make fuel out of it then hell yes lets get the ball rolling.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageClick Here to Email rinselbergSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
I think that this Valvoline NextGen would be fine for a vehicle that is driven on the street (not racing) and that has the oil and oil filter changed every 5000 miles or whatever the manufacturer recommends.

But that is just because I doubt that Valvoline, which is a long established name in the motor oil business, would risk putting an inferior product on the market.

I haven't used it, so this is just pure personal "sentiment"..
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
I would be surprised if other oil manufacturers don't already do this, and don't tell you

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageClick Here to Email rinselbergSend a Private Message to rinselbergDirect Link to This Post
Here's another line of motor oils and ATF that uses recycled product:
http://www.ecoultraoil.com/index.php
blackrams

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 223
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsClick Here to Email blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I know folks that have used recycled motor oil for years without any problems. I haven't but it the price of oil keeps going up, I may start.

------------------
Ron

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
The problem I see is that the recycled stuff may not be any cheaper. That won't leave much incentive to use it. I suppose there is the "feel good" factor for the environment. I've seen this stuff at the parts stores and have compared prices. Unless there running a sale on it, it's the same price as most of the conventional brand name oils. Not that Valvoline isn't a good brand, just saying they will probably have a hard time selling it for the same price as the 100% new oil sitting next to it.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
There are too many detergents and additives in modern oil to blend different brands - even if it is re-refined. I wouldn't bother with it for my own daily driver (but, then again, I flog my cars harder than most people would even think about driving).

People who work with it or pick up waste oil for recycling won't use it, so why should I?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

They say it goes through the same process of refinement as crude oil does when manufacturing new oil, so it's exactly like brand new oil.

I think it kind of goes without saying that it would be JUST as good as regular oil... and I think it's great that these companies are taking the initiative to actually advertise this stuff appropriately. But... I would never put it in an expensive sports car, but I WOULD put it in my economy car.

I figure I'd mention this, but I was told that when you go to those quick change places that have those oil delivery hoses that hang from the ceiling (5W-30, etc...) you know.. where they just pull the hose down and fill up the car by adjusting the delivery amount on the knob... from what I understand, all of that oil is already recycled. The Jet Lube that's near my house has a huge 200 gallon container that says "Pennzoil" on it. They told me that all the oil that comes from the cars that comes in there, gets picked up, and that tank gets filled up with the recycled oil. They filter it, and then add some stuff to it.

Who knows if that's true...
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessClick Here to Email ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

There are too many detergents and additives in modern oil to blend different brands - even if it is re-refined.

Those are distilled out, it's not an issue.
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Just think about what comes out of the ground initially and the refinement it goes through to make engine oil. If the recycled oil goes through similiar proceedures to "purify" it to be as good as new, I see no real problems..
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I figure I'd mention this, but I was told that when you go to those quick change places that have those oil delivery hoses that hang from the ceiling (5W-30, etc...) you know.. where they just pull the hose down and fill up the car by adjusting the delivery amount on the knob... from what I understand, all of that oil is already recycled. The Jet Lube that's near my house has a huge 200 gallon container that says "Pennzoil" on it. They told me that all the oil that comes from the cars that comes in there, gets picked up, and that tank gets filled up with the recycled oil. They filter it, and then add some stuff to it.

The sticker on the bulk container usually means absolutely nothing at all. Weight, yes. Brand, no.

I've worked for a few shops, and the oil salesman do not stop comming. One company may offer a lower price than the next, so the owner would use them. 6 months later, another oil company might offer a cheaper price, so the owner would switch to them. The oil supplier could change twice a year, but after many years in the same shop, the stickers never changed once! LOL.

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

I would be surprised if other oil manufacturers don't already do this, and don't tell you

It wouldn't suprise me one bit if the quick lube places all use recycled oil and just keep it hush-hush. Think about it. I go to the parts store and buy 5 quarts of their cheapest oil @ $3/qt. Then add a cheap $3 filter. We're up to $18 for just the supplies (not including grease for ball joints/u-joints/tie rod ends, electricity to run the hoist/lights/air compressor, gas to go get the supplies).

The quick lube places around here regularly run specials for 9.99-16.99. Thats less than I can even buy the oil and filter for. Forget about any labor to actually change the oil...which I charge $10 for and still have to dispose of the old oil and filter out of that. Most guys that CAN change their own oil don't want to, especially when you can take it to the quick lube and have it done by someone else for less than the supplies will cost you.

If it wasn't such a hassle, I would probably sublet all my oil changes to the nearest quick lube. I don't do a lot of oil changes though, most of my work is on the heavy end and not light end. If someone wants an oil change while it's in for a transmission overhaul, I have no problems with that.

[This message has been edited by 1fatcat (edited 08-14-2011).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Those are distilled out, it's not an issue.

I know that... but it still doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

They've been selling the stuff for off road and marine applications for years now, but I'm still going to run fresh dino juice.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

This last oil change(1000-ish miles ago) I switched over to the Valvoline NextGen and I'll see how it looks when I change it here in the next month or so. I may even splurge and get an oil analysis done on it.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

The sticker on the bulk container usually means absolutely nothing at all. Weight, yes. Brand, no.

I've worked for a few shops, and the oil salesman do not stop comming. One company may offer a lower price than the next, so the owner would use them. 6 months later, another oil company might offer a cheaper price, so the owner would switch to them. The oil supplier could change twice a year, but after many years in the same shop, the stickers never changed once! LOL.

Hah... that's pretty funny...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I used to use it 40 years ago in oil burners I owned. Worked just fine. I wouldnt use it in a good engine myself, but if its already got problems who cares.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsClick Here to Email blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
When Valvoline's NextGen first came out, it was offered at around $13.00 for five quarts for a few weeks, maybe a month. The deal may have even offered a free filter, I don't remember. There was an employee only flyer in the back of the auto parts store I work at part time offering a rebate that when all said and done made the oil change free. The intent was to get as many as possible using the recycled oil that were selling it so they would tell others. I was somewhat skeptical at first but have sinced changed my mind. I thought, I'll let others prove this product out. Well, a number of folks I know are using NextGen with no apparent issues. One has even sent a sample in to a lab for oil analysis. Haven't seen the results but, I hope to soon. There is no doubt in my mind that this product and others like it will eventually dominate. Economics will dictate it. Currently, we accept used motor oil as a free service to our customers and pay Safety Clean to come and pump out our tank. That oil (for the most part) ends up getting recycled. Some ends up in the refreshed motor oil. This is a huge business that is only going to grow.

Although I currently use synthetic in about half my fleet, I fully expect the other half to start using a product like this if not this one in the next few years if not sooner. I've got two Fieros that are close to needing an oil change, my 3800SC uses synthetic but the 3.4 P/R is on conventional. Most likely, it's gonna see NextGen very shortly.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 08-15-2011).]

Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereClick Here to Email Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Lets not overlook th eobvious. Used motor oil does have value; apprx $2 a gallon based on market pricing. If you ask me used motor is best used for heating; waste oil heaters burn all types of oil and fuel that do no thave water or other waste.

I am not saying I won't use this recycle motor oil however for me it I feel I am a ecomomic enviromentialist (aka cheapskate). When the technology develops where this recycled oil is cheaper (without promotions) than regular oil; I'll switch. Unitl this time I'll use new oil that is proven and is the same or lower cost.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

When the technology develops where this recycled oil is cheaper (without promotions) than regular oil; I'll switch. Unitl this time I'll use new oil that is proven and is the same or lower cost.

It probably won't go down in price. They'll just keep jacking up the price on new oil until everyone think $3/qt for recycled is a good deal.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 279
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Oil doesn't wear out. It just gets "dirty" - and used engine oil is still cleaner than when it came out of the ground. Once it's re-refined and goes through the exact same processes as "raw" oil and has the same additives you have virtually the same product (the biggest difference being "re-refined" on the label).

OK, I would not likely use it in a new Ford GT (a mental thing), but it's fine for my mower, snowblower, daily driver mini-van etc.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterClick Here to Email ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Its not just the impurities I worry about but what does the heat do to the oil over and over again.
How many times can you recycle something. Now if they could figure out how to make fuel out of it then hell yes lets get the ball rolling.

It is not exactly cold 3000 feet down where the oil comes from. Oil molecules are just carbon chains and those carbon chains willnot be altered by heat...unless you have mount Vesuvius under your hood in which case your oil will turn into diamond and you will not be complaining.

I would like to know more about the filtration however. How well does it compare with new oil in terms of the level of suspended particulates.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 392
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I would like to know more about the filtration however. How well does it compare with new oil in terms of the level of suspended particulates.

What does the heat cycles do to the additives and how do they get back to the base oil with no additives. I have to change the oil in my wifes car and my backup car. I will use it if it doesn't cost more but I will not put it in my hot rods.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Recycled oil has been around since at least the 1950s. I still have, a can of unopened recycled "Thrifty" Motor Oil (brand) up on a shelf in my shop. Some, were better than others-- I wouldn't use a brand called Happy Jack Motor Oil, but if Valvoline puts their name on it, I would think it meets the specs on the container.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Recycle oil is not a new product. Been on the market in different brand etc for years.

Valvoline's Nextgen is nothing but a Greenies feed good product. Your Cost same as new oil but cost Valvoline far less than new oil. Like many Green initiative is to cut cost for Companies. (Example: Co to employees... No cup for coffee etc. Use you own cup. Co says Green initiative but really Co save cost for cup, Hundred thousands to Million of dollars, from coffee supplier.) Big market "scam" like many "Synthetic" oil is just crude base oil with added refinement. Much cheap to make then Mobil1 but your cost about same as Mobil1.

Why Valvoline use 50/50 mix?
Valvoline maybe can't trust source(s) to make 100% recycle product to meet mass market.
Likely answer Valvoline thinks consumer doesn't trust 100% recycle product.

Yes, if recycle oil meet/exceed current API spec then won't hurt your engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-15-2011).]

ZarZ

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZarZClick Here to Email ZarZSend a Private Message to ZarZDirect Link to This Post
At work we change oil every 10,000 miles on each of our Semi trucks, then store it in totes. Each of the 73 trucks gets an oil change roughly every 2 weeks, 45quarts each (11.25gal). When winter comes we dump the totes into a clean burn furnace and recycle it.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsClick Here to Email blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Well, I wouldn't really call that recycling but, you do have an alternative use. Doing such as your company is doing is smart business. Using a product twice and keeping your winter heating bills down. Makes sense to me.

------------------
Ron

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I'm with Ron. That ain't recycling. You should send the oil in to be re-refined if you care a thing at all about the environment--getting paid for it as well. You can just burn all your old high carbon black semi truck tires in the furnace, (no, you won't need a 'scrubber' on the smokestack--the rain and snow will wash all the soot down the street gutters anyway) then gather up the nasty steel belts and after a couple winters, make a hefty profit at the scrap yard.
(how's that for being "green" Ron?--ya didn't know i had it in me didya?)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-16-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneClick Here to Email Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'm with Ron. That ain't recycling. You should send the oil in to be re-refined if you care a thing at all about the environment--getting paid for it as well. You can just burn all your old high carbon black semi truck tires in the furnace, (no, you won't need a 'scrubber' on the smokestack--the rain and snow will wash all the soot down the street gutters anyway) then gather up the nasty steel belts and after a couple winters, make a hefty profit at the scrap yard.
(how's that for being "green" Ron?--ya didn't know i had it in me didya?)

Ironically enough, burning tires is considered "green" by a lot of power plants I know of 2 offhand that burn waste/"recycled" tires to power the furnaces, one here in PA and one in Nebraska if memory serves me correctly...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I do too, which is why I suggested it. There's a MOUNTAIN of tires right here in the little town next to me, and they grind them up and ship those shreded up tires all over the country (mostly to Louisiana tho) . About 500 of those tires came from out here at my place.
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneClick Here to Email Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

<snip> . About 500 of those tires came from out here at my place.

Someone's been busy...
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Drain oil is a great bonfire starter. Plus the price is right. Plus you don't have to take it to be recycled. It's vapors won't burn like gasoline so it's much less dangerous. It has a higher btu/weight content than gasoline.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
I just used some Nextgen oil and noticed two things about it. The oil is very clean looking (very light golden brown) and it has a very strong odor. I would call it a detergent odor, bordering on the side of nail polish remover. Taste is about the same.

If the odor is heavy detergents, I would imagine this stuff will look very dirty when it gets changed again if the engine has any sludge build-up in it now. Which would be a good thing as long as it doesn't break down sludge too fast and plug the oil pick up screen. Then again, if the engine has that much sludge in it, it's probably not a very good engine anyways.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 341
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianClick Here to Email PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I use recycled oil. no biggie. I "reclaim" my own used oil. I have a 20 gallon barrel, which I put my used synth oil into, and a spigot 1/3 the way up (for use), and one at the bottom (for drain). this is the oil I put into my winter beater, lawn mower, or whatever else. when full, I take out 4 gallons from the bottom, and take it to be recycled "proper".

my Fiero & Malibu get fresh synth - the Mazda pickup & Ford Escort get reclaimed oil.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I'm greener than all of ya. I just never change my oil. Saves time and energy. Simple

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock