Started on: 08-03-2011 10:34 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 08-04-2011 10:12 AM
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Is your car on the hot list,for the top 10 most stolen cars?
The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has just released its list of Hot Wheels, which lists the 10 most stolen vehicles in the United States. Examining data that is submitted to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) by law enforcement, the report determines the vehicle make, model and year reported stolen the most in 2010.
The only report that takes into account all theft data, Hot Wheels does not consider the insured status of a vehicle. This allows the report to give a more complete and accurate view of what vehicles are being stolen. For example, some older model cars and trucks are stolen because of the value of their parts, but many of these older vehicles are not insured against theft. New, more expensive vehicles are more likely to be insured and when stolen to be resold or even shipped out of the country. Consequently, Hot Wheels has information on all reported thefts, not just those that are insured against theft.

Car theft is continuing to decline and early FBI crime statistics for 2010 indicate a reduction of 7.2% from 2009. If this trend continues and the numbers stay solid, when the FBI posts final statistics later in this year, 2010 will have the fewest vehicle thefts reported since 1967.

For the first time since 2002, car thieves have chosen to steal more domestic brands than foreign brands with six domestic automakers in the top 10. The following is the list of the top 10 stolen vehicles in order beginning with the most popular for theft:

1994 Honda Accord, 1995 Honda Civic, 1991 Toyota Camry, 1999 Chevrolet Full Size Pickup, 1997 Ford F150 Pickup, 2004 Dodge Ram, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 1994 Acura Integra, 2002 Ford Explorer and 1999 Ford Taurus.

The NICB suggests car owners follow its “layered approach” to protect their auto from theft. These low-cost suggestions can make the vehicle less attractive to the auto thief:

Common Sense: Lock your car and take your keys.

Warning Device: A visible or audible warning device can make the difference of whether the thief chooses your car or another.

Immobilizing Device: Kill switches, fuel cut-off and smart keys are very effective…if they can’t start your car, they can’t take it.

Tracking Device: These are extremely effective in helping law enforcement recover stolen vehicles.
http://automotivediscovery....%9D-for-2010/929694/
http://editorial.autos.msn....cp-documentid=434545
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I have an 04 Dodge Ram. Now I'll have to sleep in it at night or I'll never get any shut eye.

Jim
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:
2000 Dodge Caravan,

WTF I have one of those. And for the life of me can’t figure out why they would want to steal one of those. Unless to use it as their carry vehicle for the other parts they strip off other cars.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

WTF I have one of those. And for the life of me can’t figure out why they would want to steal one of those. Unless to use it as their carry vehicle for the other parts they strip off other cars.

Steve

Yup, they are popular because the parts fit on a lot of other dodge vans.... That is the reason most of these vehicles are stolen.... for parts.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Mechanically, Caravan parts will swap to most of Chrysler lineup. Body parts are comparatively the same on about 10-15 years of the model. Most thefts are to chop shops. Others are for use in another crime or joyriding. So the Caravan is #1. High dollar cars are stolen for overseas black market for the most part.

It amazes me more arent stolen or broken into. I see cars everyday parked, sometimes with open windows or unlocked with everything from groceries to laptops just setting on the seat. I see a lot left running while in a store for a short time. Kids and cars disappear every day like that. Those people are always the first to cry they been ripped off...duhh. Its a no brainer not to leave valuables just sitting in full view.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-03-2011).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Bump, for anybody who missed it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock