Started on: 07-31-2011 10:23 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: fastblack on 08-01-2011 09:43 PM
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Been looking around for a used fishing boat. This would be my first boat ever so I'm a bit lost at what to look for. I know I want one that is at least 16 feet if not larger. I just would like some advice and opinions on what is a good buy as far as brands and motors. Only planning on spending around $5000 so it isn't going to be anything great. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
There's a Forrest Gump joke in here somewhere, but I can't come up with it right now.

So here's a free bump for you.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Unless you like SCUBA Diving, one that floats would be nice.

Actually, I have several friends that have boats, Bass Boats with really big motors and power props, ski boats, pontoon boats, sail boats. Depending on your needs, they can all be fished off of. I'm personally not a fisherman, I'm more like bait and know it so I don't do that.

------------------
Ron

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
A lot depends on what kind of fishing you do. My wife and I fish the shallows and the stumps for panfish and have a really nice 17 ft Bass Tracker with a 70 Mercury Marine on the back. It's perfect for the 2 of us and can accomodate 4 but it does get tight. It's a somewhat narrow beam. The larger and wider bass boats are much better for handling deeper water and more people. You can fish off of anything that floats.

I'd suggest going to a boat dealer and checking out used boats at several different places. You'll get a number of different opinions there along with the PFF'rs. Go see some boats, talk to a few dealer guys and find something that is going to fit your needs.

I personally became a Tracker fan after doing my own research. There are other excellent manufacturers out there but I have no experience with them. My Tracker is a 1988 TX-17 and I've owned it for 17 years. It has given me no problems at all that are not considered normal maintenance....or my fault : ) . My 70 hp Mercury outboard has been outstanding. I've kept up on the maintenance and have taken good care of it. It's time for a new travel cover and seats but otherwise it's in great shape. It's due for a polish and wax this fall.

Good luck!

Mark
Renegade blob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Renegade blobSend a Private Message to Renegade blobDirect Link to This Post
Try and get a 4 stroke, it will cost you more than $5000, But a lot of lakes are banning inefficient engines, not to mention they're loud and spew blue smoke into your lakes. If you're going for anything under 40hp don't even bother with a 2 stroke. If you want a ski/fish then a bigger 2 stroke might be better for short term though.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Going to be doing mostly bass fishing but that does not mean I won't be fishing anything else. I would mostly be fishing on Clear Lake here in North Iowa which is about 3700 acres and 30 feet deep at the deepest.

I did some looking around on Craigslist and came across a few but this one is standing out to me. May grab a buddies dad to come with me to look at it this week.

http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/2513497598.html
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Going to be doing mostly bass fishing but that does not mean I won't be fishing anything else. I would mostly be fishing on Clear Lake here in North Iowa which is about 3700 acres and 30 feet deep at the deepest.

I did some looking around on Craigslist and came across a few but this one is standing out to me. May grab a buddies dad to come with me to look at it this week.

http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/2513497598.html

Nice boat.
My next door neighbor has a boat very similar to the one you're interested in although, I think his is 21 or 22 footer. He has a 140 Mercury (I think). Does a lot of fishing and is always going to a bass tournament somewhere. His has all those extras, just like the one you're interested in. The one thing he has that I find intriguing is, a solar panel that recharges his batteries all the time. According to him, it works very well and he never runs low on battery power. He says it isn't a real expensive system. Just something for you to consider.

I work with a guy that's really into drag racing boats, he's got three or four of them. His favorite is a 17 footer that he says weighs less than 600 lbs with the engine. His engine is a 260 hp something, don't remember but he regularly runs around 109 mph according to him. I asked him if he would consider selling one of his boats, he smiled and said, "Everything has it's price."

No way I want to go that fast on water.

------------------
Ron

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Nice boat.
My next door neighbor has a boat very similar to the one you're interested in although, I think his is 21 or 22 footer. He has a 140 Mercury (I think). Does a lot of fishing and is always going to a bass tournament somewhere. His has all those extras, just like the one you're interested in. The one thing he has that I find intriguing is, a solar panel that recharges his batteries all the time. According to him, it works very well and he never runs low on battery power. He says it isn't a real expensive system. Just something for you to consider.

I work with a guy that's really into drag racing boats, he's got three or four of them. His favorite is a 17 footer that he says weighs less than 600 lbs with the engine. His engine is a 260 hp something, don't remember but he regularly runs around 109 mph according to him. I asked him if he would consider selling one of his boats, he smiled and said, "Everything has it's price."

No way I want to go that fast on water.

The ad actually lists an "onboard battery charger" and I was curious what that was. Maybe it is the solar unit you are speaking of. I left the guy a message and am waiting back for a reply. I'm nervous like the first time I bought a car on my own, I'm really hoping my friend's dad is available to help me out on this thing. Last thing I want is somebody else's headache.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I have a response, but it's long and drawn out....and I'm on my way out the door.

So I'll type it later!

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Racingman24

2304 posts
Member since Apr 2003
I'm baaack..... and unless you wanna end up like This, Listen Up!

First off, what the people above me is great advice on selecting what "kind" of boat you want to go after. Heed their advice, especially Firefox. It's always good to go look at a few things, regardless of item, and get a feel for what fits you the best. That way you avoid the kind of knee jerk purchase that you end up regretting later.

Now that that's out of the way.

Do NOT under any circumstance buy a boat by "looking" at it. EVER. Get in it! Put your feet everywhere they can go, on every little inch that you can put them. And where you can't use your feet, check with your hands and eyes. You're checking for soft spots in the floor. And I'd be amazed if a 20 year old boat didn't a at least a small soft spot or 2. Pull up storage compartments and check in there too. Looks like you have your eye on the "bass boat" style, which are largely fiberglass, which adds a huge huge huge amount of time to the repair, if there is any needed. If you want me to get into super detail, I will, but not right now.

Then, after you've concluded the floor is solid everywhere you can get to, check the transom. Now, the proper way to check this is to take core samples....but for some reason, sellers get really cranky when you start drilling holes in there boat. I dunno. So you have to use a little investigation, a little assumption and some really good judgement. Look all over the transom for any signs of water leakage, look where any thing might have been silicone sealed in the past. Wiggle the motor up and down and observe if there is any movement in the transom.

Electronics and engines are easy to fix. Floors and transoms are not.

Which brings me to another point. Engines...
If you are going to go a little bit older like what you're looking at, I personally Love the Johnson/Evinrude/OMC line. Parts are still very available and relatively cheap. And, in my opinion, easy to work on. I also very much like any Yamaha, old or new and if I got a good deal on one, I would slap 'er on the back and never think twice.

Also, older 2 strokes are mostly idiot proof. Chances are if it starts, it's good. So make sure you can hear it run. If not, walk away. If you walk into a dealer, and you look at the break down of the cost of a new boat, the motor makes up almost half of the entire cost of the vessel. No joke.

Now, if you decide to forgo my advice and by some jalopy anyway, I Boats is where you'll find anything/everything to know about marine life.

Have fun hunting, make the right choice and mostly, HAVE FUN ON THE WATER!

Eric
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

Click to show

Thanks for the great advice, I really need it. I think my greatest asset in this whole thing is going to be my friend's dad I've talked about. He's had a few boats in his time and is really knowledgeable on the whole thing. Trouble is, he is an OTR driver so I'm not sure when he'll be home. But again, thanks for the advice!

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock