Started on: 07-27-2011 10:03 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Finally_Mine_86_GT on 07-28-2011 06:59 PM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone have really old, unique firearms? I only have 2 in my "collection" so far. Here's the first - a Swiss "Schmidt-Rubin" 96/11. It's "sporterized" a.k.a "Bubbafied" but I have the rest of the stock to restore it eventually. Original sling and muzzle caps too, as well as 15 or so original cleaning kits with that mythical substance known as Waffenfett! These photos are from when I first bought it. Numbers match and date to one of 1900 built in 1911. There's also another serial on the receiver which dates to 1892, so it would have gone through two conversions over the years. I guess that makes it a Schweitz Gewehr 1889/1896/1911.

They're straight-pull bolt action. The charging handle rotates the bolt sleeve, which has a helical groove. This rotates the locking lugs (forward, ot the right below) into place. They have a two-stage trigger that can't be beat. They're built so well, it's like a Swiss watch... a watch that can fire sub-MOA groups all day.

Every round of Swiss GP11 surplus ammo is match grade, nickel plated and extremely accurate. How accurate? The sights don't go below 300 meters! This is the same cartridge that the K31 uses.

There are still a few Swiss rifle stamps that haven't been identified. Most were probably for in-factory use and assembly. A few have even turned up with this mark. It's.. a heart?

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 02-11-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice. Cherish that weapon, they don't make'm like that much any more.

------------------
Ron

nutherproject68

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
I have an Enfield No4 MkI that I got from my grandpa. I don't have any pics. It's numbers matching but it is missing a few pieces. I've fired it a few times. The serial number shows that it was made sometime in 1944 just outside London. I don't know much more about it.
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

I have an Enfield No4 MkI that I got from my grandpa. I don't have any pics. It's numbers matching but it is missing a few pieces. I've fired it a few times. The serial number shows that it was made sometime in 1944 just outside London. I don't know much more about it.

The Lee-Enfield bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating rifle was the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire and Commonwealth during the first half of the 20th century. It was the British Army's standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957.

A redesign of the Lee-Metford which had been adopted by the British Army in 1888, the Lee-Enfield superseded the earlier Martini-Henry, Martini-Enfield, and Lee-Metford rifles. It featured a ten-round box magazine which was loaded with the .303 British cartridge manually from the top, either one round at a time or by means of five-round chargers. The Lee-Enfield was the standard issue weapon to rifle companies of the British Army and other Commonwealth nations in both the First and Second World Wars (these Commonwealth nations included Canada, Australia and South Africa, among others). Although officially replaced in the UK with the L1A1 SLR in 1957, it remained in widespread British service until the early 1960s and the 7.62 mm L42 sniper variant remained in service until the 1990s. As a standard-issue infantry rifle, it is still found in service in the armed forces of some Commonwealth nations, notably with the Indian Police, which makes it the longest-serving military bolt-action rifle still in official service. Total production of all Lee-Enfields is estimated at over 17 million rifles.

The Lee-Enfield takes its name from the designer of the rifle's bolt system—James Paris Lee, and the factory in which it was designed—the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield. In Australia, New Zealand, Southern Africa and Canada the rifle became known simply as the "303".

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1942 Husqvarna Manufactured M38 "Swedish" Mauser. Not too rare, not too exciting but it's a nice gun and I like it. I want to take a deer with it eventually when I have the time to go hunting again.

~ Derek
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
My Dad had a Model 1898 7.62mm Argentine Mauser like this:

Argentina used contract Mauser rifles from the purchase of their first Model 1871s to the disposal of the last shipment of surplus rifles received in the United States in May 2002. Between 1891-1959 Argentina bought or manufactured nearly 500,000 Mauser rifles and carbines for itself as well as for its neighbors Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay and Paraguay. It also supplied Spain with rifles to help suppress the Melilla revolt in Morocco, which were eventually used against the United States during the Spanish American War of 1898. The Argentine Commissions relentless pursuit of tactical superiority resulted in a major contribution to the development of Mausers now famous bolt-action system. The combined efforts of the Belgian, Turkish and Argentine arms commissions between 1889 and 1892 produced the origins of what became the Model 98 bolt-action system that is still in use today over 110 years later.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
How about a 1940 Daisy Red Ryder?

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 07-27-2011).]

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
All of those are very nice!

Originally posted by rpro:

How about a 1940 Daisy Red Ryder?

Haha that's awesome. But you'll shoot your eye out...
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidDirect Link to This Post
We have an older M1 Carbine, although that is neither rare or very special. No pics sorry.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
I'll share. I have two guns that probably aren't worth much to other people, but they are priceless to me.
The first is a 1917 Hunter Arms Fulton, it's a SxS 12ga with 32inch barrels. My dirt poor great grandfather bought this gun new and used it to feed his family. The real story is told by all the notches he carved in the stock after a successful hunt. It's in rough shape and will never be fired again but I'll never get rid of it.

The second is a Winchester 72A. It's not much, just a simple bolt-action .22 that goes back to the early 50s. My grandfather bought this gun and passed it down to my dad and then it was passed down to me. No telling how many rounds have been through the gun but it's still a great shooter with an awesome trigger, it's very accurate too. This gun still makes it out to the range with me.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
I have my great grand dad' s ball and cap single shot pistol

and a china junk's bronze hand cannon

both are unmarked and of unknown age

hand cannon was guess dated pre 1800
it is about 9'' and a near 12 gauge bore [ it fires junk/scrap not a ball ]
has a boat use swivel fork mount and used a bamboo stick to hold out of the hand
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ray b:

I have my great grand dad' s ball and cap single shot pistol

and a china junk's bronze hand cannon

both are unmarked and of unknown age

hand cannon was guess dated pre 1800
it is about 9'' and a near 12 gauge bore [ it fires junk/scrap not a ball ]
has a boat use swivel fork mount and used a bamboo stick to hold out of the hand

I gotta tell you ray, that's pretty cool.

------------------
Ron

OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1941 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r bolt action complete with original bayonet, sling, and oil container. It is a very common gun but its a blast to shoot. The gun was $100.00 at Gander mtn with all its accessories. A very good purchase in my opinion
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I have a rare Japanese Arisaka Type 99.
There are tons of type 99's floating around but mine is an early model from a low production series with no serial number which makes it even rarer. I've posted it on a WWII firearms website & immediately got offers from people who want to buy it.
A good friend that served in the Navy with my grandfather brought it home from Japan. His family had no interest in it so my grandfather got it. I was given it a few years ago.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Don't have, but I find the scout rifle concept interesting...

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
.308 win
Grandaddy84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grandaddy84SESend a Private Message to Grandaddy84SEDirect Link to This Post
I have a Stevens Sure Shot falling block rifle in .25 cal. but need a hammer. The straight pull bolt action seems like a great idea but the Canadian army adopted the Ross rifle in WW 1 and it was a disaster. Any sand or dirt would jam the bolt in the sleeve, not desirable in a fire fight. Most Canadian soldiers threw them away and scrounged Lee-Enfields off the battlefield.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you would consider it "unique" but i do have an IBM made M1.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

Not sure if you would consider it "unique" but i do have an IBM made M1.

What processor does that have?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-28-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

What processor does that have?

8051 i would think.

I have nothing special, but i do have my dads 44 cal cap/ball reproduction pistol from about 40 years ago. its special to me.
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
My favorite is not old or rare but one I looked around for a while to find at a price I could afford.
Marlin model 1894 Cowboy Limited, lever action w/octagon barrel chambered in .357/.38special.

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Red Ryder, vintage unknown. Rough but still operates.

Double Barrel Ball and Cap. No markings, but appraisers set date at around late 1700's. Not a reproduction. Operational.

1917 Luger, with clips, belt and holster. All numbers match. With history.

Still searching for M14 chambered for 7.62mm NATO ammo.
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
I have an 1884 Springfield rifle in Gov. 45/70 I'll try to get a picture of it and add it to this post tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 07-28-2011).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I had and recently sold an HK-94 basically it's a civilian mp5.

And my pride and joy... Modified PSG1.

I want the real mp5 but my local laws suck! so much for my rights. Thanks again NY!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock