Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What the #$% do I want to drive? Besides a Fiero. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What the #$% do I want to drive? Besides a Fiero. by Stubby79
Started on: 07-26-2011 12:12 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: Stubby79 on 07-30-2011 04:52 PM
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I can't decide what I want to drive, looking for ideas (and the justification behind said ideas). I really don't need another car, but there's not a lot of other thigns out there that I'm interested in wasting my money on...and at least if I don't like it, I can turn around and sell it...

Anyway, here's the criteria:
The smaller & lighter the better (more fun, IMHO).
Partial to 2-seaters (smaller & look better)
Affordable ($2k or less)
Looks more important than HP - must be visually appealing.
Hard-top convertible a bonus.
Prefferably new enough to be fuel injected & not difficult to find parts for.

Currently I've found/am considering a '91 Miata (high-milage) and a '78 Spitfire 1500 - both with removable hard tops. I prefer the looks of the newer Miatas, but there's no chance of finding one of those under $2k. I like the classic looks of the spitfire (and similar things like MGBs), but I'd be concerned about finding parts. Both supposidly run well. There's also an '80 Fiat 2000 Spyder, but I don't trust a soft-top to not get broken into around here.
I like the looks of the 2nd gen MR2s, Solstices, later RX7s, etc, but they're out of my price range unless they're totally trashed, but maybe there's otehr things out there like 'em that I haven't thought of. I also drove a '92 Geo Metro for a couple of months and it always put a smile on my face...if I came across a turbo version or a GTI Swift for a few hundred bucks, I'd probably jump on it. Whatever it is, it's just meant to be a toy for the amusement of driving and/or looking at it. What I really want is a Smart Roadster, but damned if I could find one on this side of the ocean, let alone find it cheap...
Any thoughts/suggestions? Besides telling me I'm nuts, that is...I know that already!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a Fiero to me

I really can't think of anything you already haven't. But you said looks were important, then talked about a Geo Metro? I drove one for awhile... I DID love it. But I can't say it was visually appealing. I just admired Snowflake.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Hard to go wrong with a Miata.
If you can come up with a bit more funds, the decent ones begin at around $3K, around here.
"Project" Miatas can be found for a bit cheaper, but that assumes that you have the time/skill/funds to fix whatever is wrong.
Just the hardtops (minus the car) usually go for $700 to $1K, unless they're trashed.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Sounds like a Fiero to me

I really can't think of anything you already haven't. But you said looks were important, then talked about a Geo Metro? I drove one for awhile... I DID love it. But I can't say it was visually appealing. I just admired Snowflake.

That's why I haven't gone and found another Metro - looks aren't there. Even in a converible version. However, I think the amusement of driving a peppier version - and a low price - would make up for it. I'd probably turn around and sell it as soon as I got bored with it though...

And yes, it DOES sound like a Fiero, but I already have one daily driver and one project Fiero, so I dont need any more!

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 07-26-2011).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you can come up with a bit more funds, the decent ones begin at around $3K, around here.
"Project" Miatas can be found for a bit cheaper, but that assumes that you have the time/skill/funds to fix whatever is wrong.
Just the hardtops (minus the car) usually go for $700 to $1K, unless they're trashed.

As long as I can enjoy it for a while before I have to replace/rebuild the engine or transmission (to decide if I like it enough to do that), then I'll come up with the time/funds to do it. I have enough skills and tools necessary.
The fact that this one comes with the hard top for the price asked is the main reason it's appealing. I can get a lower milage one for about the same price, but no hard top...
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

That's it! That's exactly what I've been looking for!

Its so small, smooth and sporty looking...I think I'm gonna puke!
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Have you ever driven a turbo Volvo? No? Have you ever been in a brick with suspension mods? They will run forever and make great power on stock internals. Not all volvos are bricks btw. The p1800 can be found cheaply and are a blast to drive and look good in my opinion. Or you could just get a Porsche 928 and call it a day. Also, people have different ideas of what looks sexy and what does not. No reason to be a sarcastic prick about it .
P1800

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 07-26-2011).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Have you ever driven a turbo Volvo? No? Have you ever been in a brick with suspension mods? They will run forever and make great power on stock internals. Not all volvos are bricks btw. The p1800 can be found cheaply and are a blast to drive and look good in my opinion. Or you could just get a Porsche 928 and call it a day. Also, people have different ideas of what looks sexy and what does not. No reason to be a sarcastic prick about it .

My bad. I assumed that's what you were being, since the volvo(brick) you originally posted is about as far away as you can get from what I described...from my point of view. But if that's what turns you on, then I take it back. Everyone's entitled to their own, be it in the bedroom or the garage...

I'd tap the p1800 too, though:

Edit: how ironic that you put up a pic of the same model while I was writing my reply...

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008
Pics of the very cars/options available:

Oh look, found another one...

There's gotta be something other than a roadster to keep an eye out for...CRXs aren't bad, but I think I'd get bored of one pretty quick.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Sporty Looking? Seriously? OK, I guess that depends on your definition.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

How's the longevity on the miata engine & transmission, any idea?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Are you looking for a chick magnet ?

Why but something that you will get bored with ?

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Are you looking for a chick magnet ?

That's a purdy jeep, once I got past the "no hotlinking" bit, but not to my tastes. And no, I'm not looking for a chick magnet...just something that makes me want to drive it.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Volvo... They will run forever...

I dunno about that. Here's a post of mine from an earlier Volvo thread.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I can only comment on the 1986 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon that I bought for my girlfriend a couple of years ago. It had a LOT of problems to sort out, but once done it ran like a charm and rode very nice. However...

The wiring in Volvos (the older ones anyway) is biodegradable. I'm not kidding.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

...just something that makes me want to drive it.

I again recommend a CJ7, .
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I again recommend a CJ7, .

My buying a CJ7 would make you want to drive it, not me.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Pics of the very cars/options available:

Anything but the Miata...
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
The Smart Roadster, for anyone who's never seen one...

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
3rd Generation Honda Preludes:

If you can find one with the "4ws" badge on the B-pillar they are a lot of fun:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 07-26-2011).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I don't even know if its a 2 seater or not (don't think it is), but how about a Vdub Corrado? I don't think I've seen one in person, and they can look awesome with the right touch. I personally love small 2 seaters and sports cars, my list would be:

Miata
944 - out of your price range
Mr2 2nd gen
RX7 - late 1980s, possibly out of your range but what a sexy car

Notice that they are all RWD , all can be had for well under 5k.
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I somewhat like the 4th gen preludes, not so much the older...

Now THIS is a Honda I'd go for, were it in my price range...

They don't get much smaller than that!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I don't even know if its a 2 seater or not (don't think it is), but how about a Vdub Corrado? I don't think I've seen one in person, and they can look awesome with the right touch. I personally love small 2 seaters and sports cars, my list would be:

Miata
944 - out of your price range
Mr2 2nd gen
RX7 - late 1980s, possibly out of your range but what a sexy car

Notice that they are all RWD , all can be had for well under 5k.

I like your list...
Here's one that is both local and just within my price range, since you mention it...

The shape and angles look a lot like a Fiero, I notice...
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

That is ****ing GORGEOUS! Like a poor man's Aston...on steroids.

I never got into the turbo-bricks thing, but I could get into THAT!
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

TommyRocker

2808 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Come, now... You're showing your ignorance. Miatas are kind of ugly, but they are great little sports cars. Basically the opposite of a Fiero. They are reliable, handle well, properly light weight, et cetera.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

3rd Generation Honda Preludes:

[IMG]http://img2.

I'd second this. My friend bought one with a 5-speed in it for $500. Just a beater of a car, but it always ran and was fun to drive. Ended up selling it a year later for $500, after putting next to nothing into it.

Not much on looks, but that red one is pretty eye-catching in my eyes.

Love the fact that antuzzi brought up the Volvos, I'm a fan of those as well.

oh, and I'll stick with theBdub in ignorance-land, the Miata is girly convertible!
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
The Cobra was based on a girls car too, and it does alright. Sometimes you have to man up and look at function over form.

[This message has been edited by TommyRocker (edited 07-26-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Come, now... You're showing your ignorance. Miatas are kind of ugly, but they are great little sports cars. Basically the opposite of a Fiero. They are reliable, handle well, properly light weight, et cetera.

I just don't like the look of them. He said looks were the most important.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
I've had a honda del sol and been happy with the mileage and "punch" till of course i got bored of it and had an h22 with turbo installed. SOOOOOO Worth it!
(sample pic, wasn't mine)

Sold that to come back to fieros a long time ago.

The 3rd and 4th gen preludes are super fun and can be made to look good without going rice.
The 944 is usually not out of your price range but it will beat you up with insurance. It's a fun enough car i guess...

Last but not least...
Fox body mustang.

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
MK1 or MK2 GTI......
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

I somewhat like the 4th gen preludes, not so much the older...

Now THIS is a Honda I'd go for, were it in my price range...

They don't get much smaller than that!

Isn't that the Honda beat?

I saw those all over Japan...

-Dave

Adding: stick with the del sol. If I remember correctly, the Beat was a sub-liter (.9L) engined car.
Do they even sell them in the states?

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 07-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
You already have a sports car; why not think Jeep, pickup or even motorcycle?

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

You appear to have never driven one.
The Miata is supremely easy to drive hard. Much easier than a Fiero.
Our stock '97 with 100K on the odo is nearly as quick as the built 3.4 Fiero that I sold last year. And way easier to drive.

And not only is it easy to drive hard, it's light. Nimble. And still quick. (Heck... there's an entire SCCA class dedicated to the Miata.)

As for longevity... They redline at 7K. They kind of expect to be driven that way.
Like all DOHC engines they require timing belt maintenance at ~100K, but that's not a show stopper.
They'll occasionally require a top to be replaced (unless you run the hardtop exclusively) but it's only around $400.
Other drop tops will have the same issue, at considerably more $$$.

As long as they're not just beaten to death, all they'll require is regular maintenance, and replacement of "wear" items.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-26-2011).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

Isn't that the Honda beat?

I saw those all over Japan...

-Dave

Adding: stick with the del sol. If I remember correctly, the Beat was a sub-liter (.9L) engined car.
Do they even sell them in the states?

Yep, it's a honda Beat. I've liked 'em since first stumbling across 'em years ago. 656cc 3-cylinder engine putting out 63hp @8100rpm. Same weight as a geo metro. Sounds like fun to me! They never sold in north america, but there's one for $4500 just over in Vancouver. That'd make it a very unique car to have...
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by williegoat:

You already have a sports car; why not think Jeep, pickup or even motorcycle?

Was my Fiero 500lbs lighter and a convertible(and prefferably an '88), I'd not be intereted in a little roadster. I don't like jeeps (or SUVs for that matter). I have a pickup, and it has crossed my mind to replace it with something better looking/more fun, but I haven't seen anything better than what I have for what I'd be willing to pay. And as to the motorcycle...well, I got out of motorcycles a year or two back. The lack of freedom I used to have on a motorcycle is probably why a little roadster appeals to me as much as it does. That and I had a convertible 10 years back, and loved having the top down...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...there's one for $4500 just over in Vancouver.

Yeah, it was $4500 firm for a few days.

Now it's $3500 firm.

Offer him $2000.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yeah, it was $4500 firm for a few days.

Now it's $3500 firm.

Offer him $2000.

ha! Thanks Patrick...I only knew about it because he'd advertised it on Victoria's Craigslist. I'll go make him an offer and see what happens.
MJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MJSend a Private Message to MJDirect Link to This Post
Saab sonnett?
Fiat x1/9...
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Del sol is heavy and boring. Even with the biggest engine they came in they are a boring slow. And heavy and dont handle all that well either. What about a Mk3 supra?? They are heavy but handle pretty good and are cheap. Even the turbo models and mods are cheap. Just gotta keep an eye out for a leaky head gasket or re torque the head. They have a ton of power and targa roof. The seats are so comfortable too.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:

What about a Mk3 supra?? They are heavy but handle pretty good and are cheap. Even the turbo models and mods are cheap. Just gotta keep an eye out for a leaky head gasket.

Nothing like a design flaw that can be exploited by knowledgeable people... a friend of mine got his spending money in high school from flipping cars with blown head gaskets. Supras are an easy find around here - people don't take care of the cooling systems and everything goes all wrong when you have a day nearing the triple digit temp range.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock