old compaq laptop upgrading help by zetabird
Started on: 07-24-2011 10:05 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: zetabird on 07-26-2011 02:37 PM
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
i have an old persario c700 laptop that i got for free that i would like to beef up alittle bit and play around with, it currently has a gig of ram and ive read that i can go to 20 gigs only so thats my first stop, but ive read about upgrading the cpu and so far all im finding out is its a socket p cpu, now im more than a noob at the tecnical stuff lol i can take it apart and change things but i have no idea about what is what lol. so dose anyone here know anything about them or have any spare parts laying around they need to get rid of, thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
2 Gigs of RAM is the Maximum for that laptop.

20 was probably a typo.

Brad

edit to add: I found another website that claims 4 Gigs, please run SIW on it and tell us what it says.

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 07-24-2011).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
ya it was a typo lol and what is siw
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

ya it was a typo lol and what is siw

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html Great little program that will tell you about what you can handle.

Brad
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

2 Gigs of RAM is the Maximum for that laptop.

20 was probably a typo.

Brad

edit to add: I found another website that claims 4 Gigs, please run SIW on it and tell us what it says.

You can also use Crucial's scanner and it'll tell you what you have and what your system max is.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Crucial also makes system memory and solid state drives, and it gives you the option of ordering memory when the scan completes. The last time I looked, their "factory direct" prices were fairly competitive. As far as quality goes, I have 3 systems running Crucial memory and so far they've been good to me.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Most laptops are not servisable,about the only thing you can do is upgrade the RAM and there should be an access pannel on the bottom.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Most laptops are not servisable,about the only thing you can do is upgrade the RAM and there should be an access pannel on the bottom.

Hard drives can normally be changed too, and a faster RPM can help if its an older OEM drive ( tho will reduce battery life ). Some can have their internal wifi cards swapped with something faster ( again, depending on the age )

I have heard of a few with replaceable CPUs, but i doubt that would make a practical difference, at least not enough to take the risk of killing it.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
What C700 sub-model is it? That may make a difference in what's upgradeable and what isn't.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
how do i figure out what submodel
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post

zetabird

1303 posts
Member since Dec 2006
the crucial scan says persario c700 cto and its only like 35 for 2 gigs of ram
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Running SIW should give it to you, as well as the Crucial system info utility. I believe the Bel-Arc system adviser has that ability as well.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Additionally, there should be a tag on the bottom of the laptop that has most, if no all, of the model information on it. For example, it could say c790LA or c762NR among several dozen other possible model numbers.
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Rallaster

9105 posts
Member since Jul 2009

the crucial scan says persario c700 cto and its only like 35 for 2 gigs of ram

That's not too bad. DDR2 RAM is dropping in price pretty quick with the introduction of DDR3 into the mass market.

Based on what I've been able to find, the CPU isn't upgradeable, and neither is the WiFi card. The HDD is upgradeable. It's a SATA interface, so you could run a Solid State Drive if you really wanted to, but a 500GB 5400-7200RPM Hard Disk Drive would probably be the way to go as it would be considerably cheaper. Unfortunately, that's going to be about all the upgrades you're going to be able to do.

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-25-2011).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
the tag on the bottom says c717nr
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

the tag on the bottom says c717nr

http://www.shopping.hp.com/...a_sheet/gr993ua.html

According to this, you're limited to 1GB max supported memory. Maybe the PO did a BIOS update that increased support to 2GB?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
this is all way over my head lol
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

this is all way over my head lol

Meh, don't worry about it, take a little screwdriver, and start tearing into it.

Everything is serviceable if you have the knowledge, time, or money.

Here is a step by step walkthrough of how to take it apart, and put it back together.
http://www.insidemylaptop.c...sario-f700-notebook/

You will need a small phillips screwdriver, and a small flat screwdriver.
You may need some thermal paste (only if removing the processor).

It looks like you can upgrade the Hard drive, Memory, Processor (CPU), and DVD ROM easily, taking it apart and cleaning it alone would be a big help.

Brad
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
oh well im not new at takeing them apart i am pretty good at it lol its just knowing what i need or the parts that i need the tecnical is what confuses me lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock