Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  3 Hikers Swept Over 317 foot Falls! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3 Hikers Swept Over 317 foot Falls! by James Bond 007
Started on: 07-20-2011 09:45 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 08-16-2011 10:08 AM
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
3 Hikers Swept Over Falls at Yosemite National Park Believed to Be Dead

Authorities believe the three hikers who fell 300 feet from a popular waterfall at Yosemite National Park Tuesday are dead.

Authorities had been searching for the hikers who reportedly climbed a safety fence to pose for pictures next to the falls.

Witnesses of the incident at Vernal Fall, which has a 317-foot drop, say it occurred at 1:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday.

The visitors were identified Wednesday as 22-year-old Hormiz David of Modesto, 27-year-old Ninos Yacoub of Turlock, and 21-year-old Ramina Badal of Modesto. Authorities continue to search for their bodies.

"Other visitors were pleading with them to come out of the water," Scott Gediman, a park spokesman told the Fresno Bee. "One of them slipped, and there was a chain-reaction as the other two tried to save the person who slipped."

A man and a woman crossed a metal barricade above the 317-foot Vernal Fall on Tuesday, making their way over slick granite to a rock in the middle of the swift Merced River.

The woman slipped. The man reached for her and fell in. Another woman in their group of about 10 tried to help but fell into the water as well. Other hikers, including several children in their group, could only watch as the rushing water swept all three over the edge.

The couple who were on the rock hugged each other tightly as they disappeared.

"Everyone was screaming," witness Jake Bibee said. "People were praying. What I will take away with me forever is the look on that grown man's face as he was floating down that river knowing he was going to die and nobody could help them."

Rangers immediately closed the Mist Trail, a popular hike with tourists that leads to the waterfall, following the incident.

Park officials often close areas when they feel a body might be recovered. Visitors were traumatized in May when a hiker slipped and fell into the Merced River. His body snagged on a rock and rescuers were not able to reach it for hours.

Record snowfall has created spectacular waterfalls in the park, but it's a treacherous beauty. Visitors often underestimate the force of water, and the mist from waterfalls creates slippery conditions on trails.

At least eight people have died in the park this year, Cobb said. Two men died after being swept off a bridge near the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in June. One man who disappeared while hiking near Yosemite Falls with his church group is still missing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2...emite-national-park/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stor...l/main20080886.shtml
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
As pitiful as this may sound, I believe we have Darwin award winners here. My lord, how stupid do you have to be to put yourself, family and friends in danger for a stupid picture. I've risked my life mulitple times but, it was always mission related and not for kicks. My sincerest condolences go out to their families. I could go on but, it would serve no purpose. Stupid, just plain stupid. And Sad.

------------------
Ron

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Darwin came through. There was a story about a beautiful water falls/swimming hole in Hawaii and several people have been injured and some have died, jumping into the water, rocks from the falls overlook and or rope swings. The talk was they were going to close off the falls from visitors, so that idiots don't hurt themselves. The feds just should make it illegal to enter these dangerous national parks, as some people may get hurt injured and die from their own carelessness. There are wild animals in those areas that also may attack you. Definitely not safe for idiots.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I feel bad for their families.

They should take down the barriers as people may get hurt climbing over it.

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I have done lots of stuff in the wilds goofing off.
So has alot of people I know.

Maybe even some here, dispite their amnesia of their youth.

People goof off.
Almost all get away with it.
Almost.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
As pitiful as this may sound, I believe we have Darwin award winners here. My lord, how stupid do you have to be to put yourself, family and friends in danger for a stupid picture. I've risked my life mulitple times but, it was always mission related and not for kicks. My sincerest condolences go out to their families. I could go on but, it would serve no purpose. Stupid, just plain stupid. And Sad.

Yes your right and I allmost baught a book on the subject a few months ago,you know, the other end of intelegence.Sad but Im gussing that the bottom was slimey,and Im guessing they were trying to cross the river and from the pics on the news they landed on the rocky bottom of the falls.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I have done lots of stuff in the wilds goofing off.
So has alot of people I know.

Maybe even some here, dispite their amnesia of their youth.

People goof off.
Almost all get away with it.
Almost.

I've read this mulitple times and I'm still trying to understand exactly what your point is? Being stupid is OK as long as you get away with it? We all do dumb things from time to time but, there are limits when it comes to risking one's own life or the lives of those you supposedly care about. Some of us survived our youth because we understood where the line was drawn. Obviously, these three didn't.

OK, how about a severe lack of good judgement by three idiots?

------------------
Ron

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Darwin came through. There was a story about a beautiful water falls/swimming hole in Hawaii and several people have been injured and some have died, jumping into the water, rocks from the falls overlook and or rope swings. The talk was they were going to close off the falls from visitors, so that idiots don't hurt themselves. The feds just should make it illegal to enter these dangerous national parks, as some people may get hurt injured and die from their own carelessness. There are wild animals in those areas that also may attack you. Definitely not safe for idiots.

http://travel.usatoday.com/...utation--/49507418/1

Popular Kauai swimming hole gets deadly reputation
By Audrey Mcavoy, Associated Press

LIHUE, Hawaii – Travel guidebooks call Kipu Falls "a glorious little hidden place" and a "swimming hole extraordinaire." But the alluring beauty of the waterfall and natural pool conceals a deadly side.

Five visitors have drowned at Kipu Falls in the past five years, including two since December. In most of the cases, the swimmers jumped off the top of the waterfall into the pool of blue-green water about 20 feet below, then were pulled to their deaths while attempting to swim to the shore. Others have suffered chest injuries, rope burns, perforated eardrums and broken and sprained ankles. A teenage girl was paralyzed after jumping there.

The deaths have given rise to speculation about whether there's a powerful whirlpool current in the swimming hole and prompted local authorities to push for greater restrictions to the site. The local tourism bureau became so alarmed by the toll that it mounted a campaign last year to push guidebooks to remove all references to the place.

It supported a bill before the Hawaii legislature that would have made writers and publishers of travel guides liable if a reader is injured or dies while trespassing on private property they have depicted. The bill died amid protests from publishers who said it violated their First Amendment rights.

The latest victim, Santhosh Heddese of Irvine, Calif., drowned on June 26. Rescue divers found the 35-year-old's body at the bottom of the pool an hour later.

The Kauai Visitors Bureau is also urging hotel concierges and tour operators to steer people away from the area.

Sue Kanoho, the agency's director, notes anyone who goes to the falls is trespassing.

Kanoho helped Heddese's widow get the couple's luggage home after he died last month. She said it was "devastating" to see another tragedy.

"I've really asked the community and the visitor industry, please, let's not send people there," Kanoho said.

The deaths have some locally questioning whether an angry "mo'o" — a Hawaiian water spirit lizard — lives in Kipu Falls.

"I kept thinking, something just held him down there. What possibly could have sucked him back down to the bottom of the pond?" said Christine Kauhi, whose 26-year-old son, Kulana Kauhi-Apao, from the Honolulu suburb of Kaneohe, drowned last December.

Kipu Falls sits in a clearing along the Huleia Stream, which pours out of the hills of southeastern Kauai into the island's biggest harbor, Nawiliwili. It's rimmed by banyan and other large trees. Most people get there by driving along a paved road that's only a few miles from downtown Lihue and some of Kauai's biggest hotels. From there, they walk about five minutes down a narrow dirt trail flanked by 6-foot-tall growths of invasive Guinea grass.

The pool and falls are on private property owned by Grove Farm, but locals have been swimming there for decades largely without problems. Residents say tourists arrived when guidebooks started mentioning it in the mid-90s. Though multiple guidebooks tout it is as "hidden," it was crowded with several dozen tourists on a recent weekday. A consistent trickle of people walked to and from the spot along the trail.

The Kauai Fire Department sent rescue crews to Kipu Falls 10 times last year, and twice so far this year.

Dr. Monty Downs, a doctor at Kauai's Wilcox hospital, said someone comes to his emergency room from Kipu Falls every few months. In recent years, they've included a 25-year-old man who suffered major chest injuries when he swung from a rope over the pool but failed to let go and slammed into the cliff. He required surgery, but survived.

Despite suspicions about mysterious forces, John Blalock, deputy chief of the Kauai Fire Department, said Kipu Falls doesn't have any strange or unusual currents. His rescue divers tell him the water is actually calm under the surface.

Locals who frequent the spot say the falls have a current, but only a downstream flow — exactly what you would expect in a river.

Instead, Blalock attributes the high number of deaths and injuries to tourists getting in over their heads. He compared travelers from big cities or the U.S. mainland going to Kipu Falls to someone born and raised in Hawaii going skiing — and deciding to take on a challenging slope.

"When you think about it, when you go on vacation, you do 'high risk, low frequency' events," Blalock said. "You do things that you don't normally do."

Kipu Falls isn't the only place tourists have encountered danger. Earlier this month, a visitor from California died after being sucked into a blowhole on Maui. Witnesses said he was frolicking in the sprays when he disappeared.

Grove Farm, a former sugar plantation that now owns a fish farm and leases farmland, is in a dilemma over Kipu Falls.

Closing it off would be an expensive undertaking for a small Kauai company that has only about a dozen employees. A fence could break and Grove Farm could be held responsible for not maintaining the barrier. If the company posts warning signs, it would be acknowledging the area is risky, exposing itself to liability.

Locals who have enjoyed the pool for years fear they would lose one of the places they love most if Grove Farm blocks access.

Downs, the emergency room doctor, said he's reluctantly concluded that's exactly what should be done.

"I've seen enough families destroyed," Downs said, "that to me the benefit of making it not be accessible outweighs the downside of taking away yet another spot that locals enjoy."

Daniel Hale, a tour boat captain who has been swimming at the falls for about a decade, is sympathetic to families who have lost loved ones. But he said the accidents shouldn't lead to closure.

"People come here on vacation and they get hurt, and it's sad, but it happens because it's not Disneyland. It doesn't cushion you," Hale said.

Kauhi, whose son died there in December, hopes something can be done to prevent more drownings. As a Native Hawaiian, she also hopes a Hawaiian priest will bless the place and the people who have passed there.

"I know if my son had a choice, if he knew, I don't think he would have gone," Kauhi said, as she tried to stifle tears. "I don't think he would have wanted to leave his family and friends behind. I'm just very sad, and I'm sure all these other families are grieving just like me."
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

I've read this mulitple times and I'm still trying to understand exactly what your point is? Being stupid is OK as long as you get away with it? We all do dumb things from time to time but, there are limits when it comes to risking one's own life or the lives of those you supposedly care about. Some of us survived our youth because we understood where the line was drawn. Obviously, these three didn't.

Why must everything I post here have to have some point other then exactly what I type?
I only ment what I wrote.
No secret meaning, no insinuation, no hidden agenda, no fleeting glimpses out of the corner of one's eye.

Just what was written.
And again I find it extremely silly explaining why I am defending things I didn't say.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Why must everything I post here have to have some point other then exactly what I type?
I only ment what I wrote.
No secret meaning, no insinuation, no hidden agenda, no fleeting glimpses out of the corner of one's eye.

Just what was written.
And again I find it extremely silly explaining why I am defending things I didn't say.

Got it A meaningless post, I think.

------------------
Ron

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Got it A meaningless post, I think.

Well, the emoticon it was posted under might give you a clue.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-20-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Well, the emoticon it was posted under might give you a clue.

Nope, not going there. Don't want you to have to explain anything, at least not for my benefit.
Edited: Forget I ever asked, back to the original topic of how idiots get themselves killed.
------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-20-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Nope, not going there. Don't want you to have to explain anything, at least not for my benefit.

It was just a thought.

How does one dissect a random thought?
See what I mean.
It's the chicken/egg thing.....been done to death.

I've read this mulitple times and I'm still trying to understand exactly what your point is? Being stupid is OK as long as you get away with it?

Hardly a simple question.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-20-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Hardly a simple question.

Ya think? I think not.

I say what I mean and mean what I say. Works for me, never did like puzzles.

------------------
Ron

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Ya think? I think not.

I say what I mean and mean what I say. Works for me, never did like puzzles.

Fair enough...........I think.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I had read in a magazine that on average 6 people fall off the edge of the Grand Canyon each year.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
They really need to put those warning signs in spanish!

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I had read in a magazine that on average 6 people fall off the edge of the Grand Canyon each year.

They should just fill that thing in so people don't accidentally fall off a 4,000 ft edge. (sarcasm intended. Not to you, James Bond, to the 6 people per year)
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
How dumb can a person be? The woman crossed metal barricade-slips, a friend reaches for her-he slips, and another third person tries too. Next, a guy standing at the edge see's one of the person's eyeballs as he goes over the fall. I mean really, these people are trying very hard to kill themselves in Yosemite. The three hiker’s ages are 21, 22, & 27. They must be watching too much Road Runner/Wild Coyote cartoons.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-21-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
One misstep, and everyone talks about Darwin's work?
I would be willing to bet you that these were not a load of idiots out running wild. These were regular people, fueled by the want for adventure. When one guy slipped, his friends tried to help.

Honestly, if I was the first person to slip, and none of my friends reached out and tried to get me, I'd be very surprised. If you wouldn't be surprised, maybe you need new friends.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Honestly, if I was the first person to slip, and none of my friends reached out and tried to get me, I'd be very surprised. If you wouldn't be surprised, maybe you need new friends.

If my friend decided to go beyond the guard I wouldn've quickly told him, "Okay stupid. I ain't saving you." In this tragic case-all three were college students. The article I read stated, "onlookers told them of the dangers of going over the barricade."
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

If my friend decided to go beyond the guard I wouldn've quickly told him, "Okay stupid. I ain't saving you." In this tragic case-all three were college students. The article I read stated, "onlookers told them of the dangers of going over the barricade."

I would have certainly said that... but if my friend was in mortal danger, you bet I'm going to do everything I can to try and save him. No second thoughts. Maybe I'm imagining the scenario a lot different than y'all. I'm imagining them being VERY close to saving them--just a reach away--but the current was too strong and grabbed them. I guess I'd just be one of the dead... I know I would have reached for my friend.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

I would have certainly said that... but if my friend was in mortal danger, you bet I'm going to do everything I can to try and save him. No second thoughts. Maybe I'm imagining the scenario a lot different than y'all. I'm imagining them being VERY close to saving them--just a reach away--but the current was too strong and grabbed them. I guess I'd just be one of the dead... I know I would have reached for my friend.

I'm all for adventure, but standing in water with a current above a 300+ foot drop, that's more of a death wish than adventure seeking.

How far away from the ledge were they? Did they float along the current for 50 yards before the drop? Then I could maybe see going in after them if I trusted my swimming skills (I don't, for the record). But if they were just a 10 yards from the drop, no chance, their stupid behavior isn't worth my life. It would have to be someone in my immediate family to risk my life for.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

All of my friends have an agreement with each other. If any one of us is in danger NOT of our making, we will do what we can to help each other. If the danger we are in is of our own making we are on our own. One of my friends wanted the second part of the agreement wrote down and signed to keep us from holding it against each other if we don't help the one that got themselves into danger. Yeah, we're a tough group.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

I'm all for adventure, but standing in water with a current above a 300+ foot drop, that's more of a death wish than adventure seeking.

How far away from the ledge were they? Did they float along the current for 50 yards before the drop? Then I could maybe see going in after them if I trusted my swimming skills (I don't, for the record). But if they were just a 10 yards from the drop, no chance, their stupid behavior isn't worth my life. It would have to be someone in my immediate family to risk my life for.

That's the thing--I'm picturing a different scenario than others, I think. I'm picturing them slowly making their way across a slippery rock poking up, about 30-50 yards from the drop. When the first guy slips, he falls back and reaches for the second guy. The second guy slips just from being frightened, and reaches for the third. The third then tries to hold them on but the current takes them, while their families are all watching.

But none of us actually know, which is why I think it's a bit unfair to call the Darwin award. They could very well be really stupid... but I can picture how it went down without that as well. Stupid to go out there in the first place? Yeah.. it was. But not REALLY REALLY stupid. Just like "Oh man that's scary you shouldn't have done that."

IMO.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
This reminds me of something I saw when I was visiting the Grand Canyon. A young couple was posing for photos near the edge (no guard rail). First, the guy leaned over the edge, holding onto a tree branch, while the girl took photos. Then they switched places, with the girl hanging over the edge and the guy taking photos. Then, they gave the camera to a friend, and had photos taken of her dangling over the edge, hanging onto her boyfriend.

I honestly expected to see someone die that day. But they got lucky.

The bottom line is if you put your life at risk, you stand a chance of losing it. That's just part of the game. Play the game enough, and you eventually WILL lose.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Like Eve it was the woman that slipped followed by the dude (I'd bet she had on high heel shoes too-hehe j/k). Seriously, I'm one of those guys who respect "warning" signs and for them-there were too many, "what ifs." The fast following water, the 317 foot water fall, and the mist. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised there was moss growing on the boulder she was standing on that caused her to slip.

The only safe way to rescue a person would be if there was a guy on stand-by wearing a safety harness with a rope that is properly secured. Then he could dive in and maybe save one of them, but I doubt seriously all three.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-21-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I thought the three hikers were stupid, but this dude takes the cake!

"He's got a 6- or 7-year-old daughter in his left arm on the edge of the waterfall while his other daughter, about 14 years old, is taking his picture," said Jake Bibee, 28, of Costa Mesa (Orange County), who was hiking with a friend on the Mist Trail that day. "He's on the corner, hanging over the falls. This little girl is screaming bloody murder, and he's laughing, thinking it's a big old joke."

Seriously, on that day Yosemete was filled with idiots!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...AP.DTL#ixzz1SmnD7sNj

One slip in knee-high water, a desperate grab for help and, in one frightful moment, three Central Valley residents were swept screaming over a thunderous 317-foot waterfall to their apparent deaths as dozens of tourists in Yosemite National Park watched in horror.

Ramina Badal, 21, a nursing student at the University of San Francisco, and Ninos Yacoub, 27, of Turlock (Stanislaus County) clung to each other as they were carried over Vernal Fall on Tuesday, witnesses said. Hormiz David, 22, of Modesto followed them over the edge after reaching for them and slipping himself.

Just 25 feet upstream from the drop, the victims had climbed over a metal guardrail, ignoring warning signs and apparently pleas from other hikers to get out of the water. Their bodies have not been found in the foaming, boulder-strewn torrent that is the Merced River. They are presumed dead.

"It's 317 feet down. Nobody can survive a fall like that," said Scott Gediman, a spokesman for Yosemite National Park.

6 dead this year
The tragedy brings to six the number of people killed this year in the rivers and waterfalls of Yosemite, which saw double the average amount of snow last season. The ice sheet blanketing the high country is still melting, turning the rivers and streams into raging whitewater.

Witnesses could not explain why the victims waded into the water above the fall, but they apparently were not the only daredevils in their group.

The tragedy occurred at about 1:30 p.m. on a brilliant sunny day. A group of 12 friends and family had climbed the famed Mist Trail, the park's most popular hike, to the top of Vernal Fall, Gediman said.

As many as 175 other people were resting at the Vernal Fall overlook when the group stopped to have lunch. Witness accounts vary slightly, but apparently another member of the group was the first to climb over the metal rail at the top of the waterfall. Signs depicting stick figures plunging over the fall warn people not to go beyond that point.

Stepping into the river
"He's got a 6- or 7-year-old daughter in his left arm on the edge of the waterfall while his other daughter, about 14 years old, is taking his picture," said Jake Bibee, 28, of Costa Mesa (Orange County), who was hiking with a friend on the Mist Trail that day. "He's on the corner, hanging over the falls. This little girl is screaming bloody murder, and he's laughing, thinking it's a big old joke."

The spectacle infuriated Bibee and several other hikers, some of whom yelled at the man and urged him to climb back over the railing. Meanwhile, apparently inspired by their friend, Badal, Yacoub and David climbed over or went around the railing and waded into the water 25 feet upstream from the fall, trying to reach a rock outcropping partially covered in vegetation about 15 feet from shore.

Gediman said the three waded up to their knees in the rushing waters, were taking photographs and goofing around. He said several witnesses also urged them to get out of the water.

"They basically ignored their warnings," Gediman said. "They did not comply with people telling them it was dangerous."

Bibee said Badal, who is from Manteca (San Joaquin County), was the first to slip and fall.

"This guy is walking back to the group with his two kids still on the wrong side of the railing and we're all staring at him and, right then, the girl fell in," Bibee said. Her friend, later identified as Yacoub, grabbed her hand, Bibee said, and then he slipped and fell.

"He was reaching back trying to grab something. Everyone was screaming. You want to help, but you can't," Bibee said. "I looked at his face and I saw his eyes wide open, absolutely fearful that he was going to die in five seconds. When we saw them go over the waterfall, they were holding each other."

Bibee didn't see David go over the edge because he had turned away in horror.

"Right as they went off the edge I grabbed the girl I was with, covered her eyes and called 911," he said.

Fall, trail notorious

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...AP.DTL#ixzz1Smmuv8tN

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...MN0H1KCRAP.DTL&tsp=1
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

One misstep, and everyone talks about Darwin's work?
I would be willing to bet you that these were not a load of idiots out running wild. These were regular people, fueled by the want for adventure. When one guy slipped, his friends tried to help.

I like the way you think.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Let me put it this way, if someone I know (or don't know) decides to be so foolish as to attempt to cross over the barricade, I consider it my responsibility to try and stop them. Should (for whatever reason) I fail in that attempt, I'll be the one waving as they go over the falls. I feel pretty safe saying this because, those I call friends would never do such a stupid thing.

Should some event occur while on the correct side of the barricade, I'd do everything humanly possible to help them. The truth is, you can't fix stupid.

------------------
Ron

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Humanity isn't totally lost by a few who are careless and lack common sense. Only 45 people since have died since 1864. Those are good odds.

"Despite the obvious danger, about 45 people have gone over waterfalls in Yosemite to their deaths since the park was established in 1864; 82 percent of the victims have been male and 68 percent between the ages of 11 and 29, according to the book "Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite," by Michael Ghiglieri and Charles Farabee. Almost all of the park's waterfall accidents were the result of carelessness, often while snapping a photo, they write."
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...L&ao=2#ixzz1SqoznWxy
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Hey Brennan, if you're playing in water with a current a mere 25 feet upstream from a 317 foot fall, you're on your own buddy. That last article that madcurl posted just painted quite a different picture in my head.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula: That last article that madcurl posted just painted quite a different picture in my head.

Same here.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Yosemite and the river doesn't care about no stinkin status in life.

Kent Butler, 60, a professor.

Dr. Gregory Wayne Meyer, 53, and

Richard Fox, 53, physician's assistant.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...L&ao=2#ixzz1SsA1cnTx
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

1988holleyformula JUL 22, 01:57 PM

Hey Brennan, if you're playing in water with a current a mere 25 feet upstream from a 317 foot fall, you're on your own buddy. That last article that madcurl posted just painted quite a different picture in my head.

Yeah they were stupid... That painted it completely differently. SWIMMING out to a rock??
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

"Other visitors were pleading with them to come out of the water," Scott Gediman, a park spokesman told the Fresno Bee. "One of them slipped, and there was a chain-reaction as the other two tried to save the person who slipped."

A man and a woman crossed a metal barricade above the 317-foot Vernal Fall on Tuesday, making their way over slick granite to a rock in the middle of the swift Merced River

I read this elsewhere, thought "here's a woman and man who are so dumb they think:
"Here's a steel barricade that someone purposely erected to prevent people like us from doing stupid things, but we're so dumb, we're going to circumvent this safety structure and go do our stupid thing anyway".

I wonder, as she and he slipped over the edge of the falls, if they remembered that barricade--and i wonder if they thought of the friend that they had to have known was going to be going over right behind them?

Life is unforgiving and even moreso when you're being stupid--You can't fix stupid, and there's a huge difference in being adventureous and being completly stupid. Hopefully all those who had the misfortune to witness this event learned, and will teach a valuable lesson to all those they know. "Don't do stupid crap"

People do stupid things every single day, and many die from them--some kill or maim their friends and family in the process. The fact that it happens every single day doesn't make it any less stupid, but probably just means stupidity is growing by leaps and bounds. Or maybe stupidity is just being reported more widely today.
I feel for the family of their friend--the last guy that courageously tried to save the couple from themselves, but I feel nothing for the couple that intentionally went thru the steel barricade.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I read a storey were a man found a militarey round and was useing it as an anvill (live round).sometimes I think the stupid gene is inherited.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I think sometimes people look at a safety barrier and think, "THAT'S for stupid people who don't know how to handle a little risk".
They just think it was put there for MORONS, not fit, thinking specimens such as themselves.
"The stupid stuff only happens to the stupid people. That ain't us!"
It's probibly just that simple.

There should just be signs that say, "The Risk Of Death Here Is A __. (rated 1-10, 10 being bye-bye.)
Then at least you could rack up some numbers for braggin' rights.

"I've collected 14 different nines!"

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-23-2011).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I remember the time a friend of my sisters was useing a brush shredder,he was shoveing his hand way down just beyond the ruber flap.I told him the cutting blades were just beyond that flap.Did he listen,no.I told my sister Im leaveing because I didnt want to be around if he cuts his hand off.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg JUL 23, 09:03 PM

I think sometimes people look at a safety barrier and think, "THAT'S for stupid people who don't know how to handle a little risk".
They just think it was put there for MORONS, not fit, thinking specimens such as themselves.
"The stupid stuff only happens to the stupid people. That ain't us!"
It's probibly just that simple.

There should just be signs that say, "The Risk Of Death Here Is A __. (rated 1-10, 10 being bye-bye.)
Then at least you could rack up some numbers for braggin' rights.

"I've collected 14 different nines!"

That was hilarious and probably pretty accurate lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock