Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  3 Hikers Swept Over 317 foot Falls! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3 Hikers Swept Over 317 foot Falls! by James Bond 007
Started on: 07-20-2011 09:45 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 08-16-2011 10:08 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I remember the time a friend of my sisters was useing a brush shredder,he was shoveing his hand way down just beyond the ruber flap.I told him the cutting blades were just beyond that flap.Did he listen,no.I told my sister Im leaveing because I didnt want to be around if he cuts his hand off.

Yep, I don't know the guy but my longest childhood friend has a friend that lost his arm just north of his elbow doing something exactly like that. My friend told me it was the bloodiest thing he'd ever seen. The guy was lucky it didn't pull him all the way in. Foolish people do really dumb things.

------------------
Ron

IP: Logged
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I have done lots of stuff in the wilds goofing off.
So has alot of people I know.

Maybe even some here, dispite their amnesia of their youth.

People goof off.
Almost all get away with it.
Almost.

My late grandfather used to call such behavior "thinnin' the herd."

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

One misstep, and everyone talks about Darwin's work?
I would be willing to bet you that these were not a load of idiots out running wild. These were regular people, fueled by the want for adventure. When one guy slipped, his friends tried to help.

Honestly, if I was the first person to slip, and none of my friends reached out and tried to get me, I'd be very surprised. If you wouldn't be surprised, maybe you need new friends.

If a person is willing to do things that put his life at risk, knowing that his friends will jump in and risk their lives to save him....Is he really a good friend?

Lets say that I was in a group of cars, driving each car is a friend. Lets call them Silent, BDub, Boonie, Nick, and Brad.

Now I am in the lead, and think that I am the better driver, I also know that each of my friends would do whatever it took to keep up with my car. After all I don't have friends that wouldn't.

We go into the first corner and I'm doing pretty good, but I can tell Boonie doesn't know how to handle these Ozark corners, he almost loses control of the car on the first corner. Since I know Boonie has no common sense when it comes to keeping up, and I know that the road will only get worse I change my style to keep him safe. I'd say the rest of my friends would be suffering, but they were already suffering when they started following me anyway. Friends don't just look to save other friends, they also keep them safe, and stop them from doing stupid things.

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

If a person is willing to do things that put his life at risk, knowing that his friends will jump in and risk their lives to save him....Is he really a good friend?

Lets say that I was in a group of cars, driving each car is a friend. Lets call them Silent, BDub, Boonie, Nick, and Brad.

Now I am in the lead, and think that I am the better driver, I also know that each of my friends would do whatever it took to keep up with my car. After all I don't have friends that wouldn't.

We go into the first corner and I'm doing pretty good, but I can tell Boonie doesn't know how to handle these Ozark corners, he almost loses control of the car on the first corner. Since I know Boonie has no common sense when it comes to keeping up, and I know that the road will only get worse I change my style to keep him safe. I'd say the rest of my friends would be suffering, but they were already suffering when they started following me anyway. Friends don't just look to save other friends, they also keep them safe, and stop them from doing stupid things.

Brad

I'm sure that's the story you gonna' tell all them good ol' boys at the bar, becouse having to tell them that Boonie drove that road in one side of your azz and out the other might just require you to shake about a pound & a half of sand out of your va-gag-na just to be able to spit the words out, and them boys know full well from the many camping trips they took you on that you ain't no spitter.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-24-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure that's the story you gonna' tell all them good ol' boys at the bar, becouse having to tell them that Boonie drove that road in one side of your azz and out the other might just require you to shake about a pound & a half of sand out of your va-gag-na just to be able to spit the words out, and them boys know full well from the many camping trips they took you on that you ain't no spitter.

Click to show the truth.

You know I love ya Boonie.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 07-25-2011).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Spent this weekend camping/Jeeping in the Green Mountains above Lake Isabella.
There is a 200 foot waterfall there and the ranger said that 12 people total have gone over it and died the past year.
So why is this one getting so much press?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Brad

I don't really understand the analogy, but I will say keep reading my posts and you'll see once I saw exactly what they did, I thought they were very stupid. I thought the situation was different than how it really was.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

I was younger then.
And that truck accident was my first in 35 years of 8 months of ice a year.

And you?

After this, we measure winkies.....

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-25-2011).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Recenley a teenager died from jumping off a cliff into a pond,little did he know the pond was only 22 inches deep.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait for the knee jerk reaction from the state government to keep people aboard tour buses behind plexiglass enclosures to look at the trees and prevent hiking altogether or close the park entirely because people might get killed. Grrr...saving us from ourselves because we are too stupid to be trusted with our own lives.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3hikers&ariver:

"Never swim or wade upstream from a waterfall, even if the water appears shallow and calm," the article reads.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...73.DTL#ixzz1TFl2lSIm

Sound like a no-brainer right there!
PFF
System Bot
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I can't wait for the knee jerk reaction from the state government to keep people aboard tour buses behind plexiglass enclosures to look at the trees and prevent hiking altogether or close the park entirely because people might get killed. Grrr...saving us from ourselves because we are too stupid to be trusted with our own lives.

National Parks get a lot of leeway with this.

In Zion National Park in 1997 a 12 year old slipped while wading in the Emerald Pools and fell off the waterfall to his death. The family sued.

Here is the decision. It is an interesting read.

http://openjurist.org/312/f...lder-v-united-states

The essence is that national parks have inherent danger, and that eliminating all danger would destroy the essence of the parks. The courts aren't going to do that, and so people are assuming risk while in national parks. So if people are going to be reckless or even just careless, and get hurt, the parks don't have to respond by making the national parks "idiot proof".
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
We were up at 7000' in fire area.
They have just recently put up big signs everywhere stating fireworks are prohibited.
Just the fact that they have a need to put them in an area like that means the herd needs thinning!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

We were up at 7000' in fire area.
They have just recently put up big signs everywhere stating fireworks are prohibited.
Just the fact that they have a need to put them in an area like that means the herd needs thinning!

Unfortunately, you aren't far off. People do some really stupid things and then expect sympathy for the result.

------------------
Ron

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
Unfortunately, you aren't far off. People do some really stupid things and then expect sympathy for the result.

We were close to the Kern River this weekend, lots of rapids and huge rocks.
A couple let their 12YO boy go in without a vest, though even that wouldn't have saved him.
YEP, he drowned.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:
National Parks get a lot of leeway with this.

In Zion National Park in 1997 a 12 year old slipped while wading in the Emerald Pools and fell off the waterfall to his death. The family sued.

Here is the decision. It is an interesting read.

http://openjurist.org/312/f...lder-v-united-states

The essence is that national parks have inherent danger, and that eliminating all danger would destroy the essence of the parks. The courts aren't going to do that, and so people are assuming risk while in national parks. So if people are going to be reckless or even just careless, and get hurt, the parks don't have to respond by making the national parks "idiot proof".

Thank you.
That was my point.

Crossing the street has inherent danger.
So crosswalks were installed to minimize the risk.
But i'll bet LOTS of people here cross the street without using them.
They weigh the risk based on their perceived skill to be able to get away with it unscathed, and go for it.

Just like people do in nature & parks.
I'm sure these people thought it was highly unlikely that they would slip, and even MORE unlikely that they couldn’t recover if they DID fall.
They thought wrong, due i'm sure to their lack of experience with the exact physics of what they were faced with.
They may have even stood in some kind of current before, and maybe even been knocked down in water and recovered before.
As this seemed similar, they thought that amount of experience was enough to get them through this, if anything went wrong.
They were wrong.

The real fault in their risk analysis was overlooking the magnitude of the penalty if there was failure.
With the probibly little bit of experience & lack of research into all the aspects of the task at hand, they should never have attempted it when the price for failure was certain death.

You jump the ditch in your back yard before you jump the fountains at Caesars Palace....the risk is greater and there MAY BE some differences you might want to be aware of.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-26-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Thank you.
That was my point.

Crossing the street has inherent danger.
So crosswalks were installed to minimize the risk.
But i'll bet LOTS of people here cross the street without using them.
They weigh the risk based on their perceived skill to be able to get away with it unscathed, and go for it.

Just like people do in nature & parks.
I'm sure these people thought it was highly unlikely that they would slip, and even MORE unlikely that they couldn’t recover if they DID fall.
They thought wrong, due i'm sure to their lack of experience with the exact physics of what they were faced with.
They may have even stood in some kind of current before, and maybe even been knocked down in water and recovered before.
As this seemed similar, they thought that amount of experience was enough to get them through this, if anything went wrong.
They were wrong.

The real fault in their risk analysis was overlooking the magnitude of the penalty if there was failure.
With the probibly little bit of experience & lack of research into all the aspects of the task at hand, they should never have attempted it when the price for failure was certain death.

You jump the ditch in your back yard before you jump the fountains at Caesars Palace....the risk is greater and there MAY BE some differences you might want to be aware of.

Then why in the heck don't you say that in the first place? You wonder why folks think you don't take a stand or critize you and yet............... Go back and read all your other posts in this thread and see how long it took you to get here. Boonie, I'm not your enemy and have wished you well many times but come on man. Look at the track record.

------------------
Ron

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Then why in the heck don't you say that in the first place?

People can think for themselves, can't they?
I mean, OTHER then just the complex answer of, "What idiots!"

Oh, and I didn't formulate the depth of my post in my mind until I was 'stimulated' by frontal lobe.

You wonder why folks think you don't take a stand or critize you and yet...............

And you gave a classic example with your post of jumping to conclusions.
My opinion was not completely fleshed out in my beginning post.
I wanted to think about other possabilities then just "what morons".
Then Frontal Lobe "juiced" me up.

So I am left STILL wondering why people find it so importent to dissect my posts........
Can't I just touch on an idea?

P.S. There is still the option of someone actually ASKING me........oh, wait, but then they would have to accept my answer as my answer.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-26-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

P.S. There is still the option of someone actually ASKING me........oh, wait, but then they would have to accept my answer as my answer.

With that, we have another puzzle. So be it. Doesn't matter to me, I don't have to understand.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-26-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
There goes another one. This time its on the Canadian side.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman...owned-113607048.html

Woman swept over Niagara Falls, presumed drowned

NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario (AP) — A 19-year-old international student was swept over Niagara Falls and presumed drowned after falling from a railing along the Canadian side of the Niagara River, Niagara Parks Police said Monday.
The woman was visiting the falls with a friend at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when she climbed over the railing and straddled it while holding an umbrella. The woman apparently lost her balance and fell into the water when she stood up to climb back over, police said. She fell into the swift-moving river about 80 feet upstream from the brink of the Horseshoe Falls.
Foul play is not suspected.
"It appears from the review of surveillance video that this incident was a tragic accident," a Niagara Parks Police news release said.
The department said it was working with the Japanese consulate general to notify the victim's family. Her name was being withheld pending the notification, and police did not say which country she was from.
The woman's body had not been found by midday Monday but the remains of an unidentified male were recovered from the whirlpool below the falls after being spotted by an Erie County Sheriff's department helicopter search crew. Police and the coroner were working to identify him; police said his death appears to be unrelated.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-15-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
If you ever want to get rid of your wife, just invite her to the falls for a vacation.

"She was always a bit of a goof off, officer. I guess she just finally ran out of luck. Dear Lord, what will I do without her."

Squirt some tears, cash the check, and you're dating again!

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

It's a step in the right direction. Now if we can have the concept applied to purchasing cups of hot coffee, society can get back to sanity.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Cups of what kind of coffee? Oh--HOT coffee--the same kind I learned about in 1955 when I was 5. Hot means "It's going to burn you Don--don't spill it on yourself." I wasn't the smartest 5 yr old on the playground, but I had already figured that out when I saw the steam comin off the cup Mom just poured for herself.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
And for those of you who missed this storey,heres amother (this happend at Half Dome in Yosemite about 10 days later).
Woman Fatally Falls off Half Dome in Yosemite, CA
Hayley LaFlamme a 26-year-old northern California woman fell off of Half Dome in Yosemite, California this week. USA Today reported she was with three friends and family. After making it to the top, LaFlamme slipped on rain-slicked rock as she was descending the cable ladder heading back down. Unfortunately she took a 600-foot fall around noon leaving no chance of survival said spokesperson Kari Cobb.
It had rained in the morning and signs were posted warning hikers not to climb the trail but the trail was not closed. During the hike it was raining and there was lightening too. The Los Angeles Times reported 20 other people turning around after seeing how treacherous the hike was that day.
Half Dome has become a very popular hike, and because of its popularity there is a limit to the amount of people that can hike it each day. Only 400 permits are given out per day and hiking without a permit on this trail is illegal.
It is always important to take note of signs posted by the forest rangers; they post these signs for a reason. While this trail was not closed it is imperative to take extra precaution when hiking in perfidious areas. The unfortunate death of Hayley LaFlamme of San Ramon shows how even a popular trail like Half Dome can still be a difficult climb. Always check conditions of trails before hiking.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy in Arkansas that died after he fell off a cliff about 14 years ago or so.

He was hiking in the Boston Mountains with a group, and was "showing off" and hovering over the edge of a cliff taking a #2, finished, went to get up, and fell.

Brad

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Some times you have to look after these retards (I hate to be blunt),but there are times when you have to say, dont go in there,dont cross over that railing,the water is shallow or the current is strong.You get the idea, and for anyone who's walked at night, dont wear black and bring a flash light.Heres another safety tip for you bicycle riders, buy one of those flashing L.E.D. lights for the rear of the bicycle,helps make cycleists highly visible.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock