Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Proper Etiquette When Calling to Ask about job openings....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Proper Etiquette When Calling to Ask about job openings.... by Racingman24
Started on: 07-20-2011 09:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Marine1981 on 07-21-2011 02:44 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I've always wondered what the so called "Proper" way to do this was.

I'm looking at changing jobs...again [if I'm lucky]....and need to know the best way to get the managers attention...in a good way.

Quick layout of where I'm at now
Small European Import shop [I personally specialize in Mercedes]
Been doing this for about 8-9 years [I must be getting old]
Worked at a Benz dealer prior to this [long drawn out story of why I'm not there anymore, not relevant to the topic at hand]
Looking at going back to a dealer, thus the reason for this post.

Ok, here goes. As I said I work at a small shop currently, I'm doing roughly 70% of the work and getting about 20% of the credit, not a big fan.
Where I live [The Minneapolis, St Paul Metro] There are 3 dealers, one I was at, and wouldn't mind going back if all the conditions were perfect, one that's way to far of a drive for me, and the one I want to start digging into.

I suppose I should say I work on cars, if that wasn't obvious.

Also, I have not contacted the dealer or the manager yet, as I want some opinions on the best way to do this before I go ahead and start pestering the guy.

I need to know what people think on here is the best way to not only get a hold of the service manage, but the best way to make a good impression, as everyone knows, first impressions are key.

Here's the issues of the 2 possibilities...If I call, it can be easily dismissed, not to mention, he might think I'm not that serious. But at the same time, I work 5 days a week and don't know the best time to get a hold of him, so I don't know if I could just show up, and then end up waiting for 2 hours or something while he's in a meeting, or something of that nature.
So there's one option, to call, but if I do that, what's the best way to get it into his head that I'm serious?

Ok, option 2, I show up in person. This is a great idea I think, but there are difficulties, such as catching him at the right time. Also, do I go in there dressed to the max, or does that make it look like I'm begging and have no other options? Is there anything wrong with showing up in service clothes, as that's my profession anyway? And once I'm in there, what do I say, I mean if they aren't looking for, then do I just turn around and walk away, and if they are, do I stand there waiting for an on the spot interview? I know that that's not going to happen, but I'm just not really sure what to do.

This would be hugely important to me, as I feel that I've never been "right" with myself since I left the dealership scene 3 years ago. It would mean the world to me with how I see myself and my life...so as you can see, I want to make it work if there is any possibility of that happening.

Does any of this rambling make sense?

Also, on the good possibility that they are not looking for someone at this time, how long after should be a follow up call? What about if they are, and I drop my resume off? I want to ride that fine line of always being on his mind, but not annoying so much that he tosses the application.

Anyway, any insight would be great. I miss doing what I do best, and I want soo badly to get back to doing what I know.

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over"
88 base coupe: "She thinks my tractor's sexy..... it really turns 'er on"
"I drive Sideways"

Said by Crazy Dave "You can take Steve out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of Steve."

(\__/)
(='.'=) <<<< Cute Bunny.
(")_(")
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
I would NOT just show up. The reason for the "2-hour meeting" is to make you go away. No manager wants to have to talk to someone who thinks he's being ambitious by showing up at his front door for an on-the-spot interview. If you have contacts at the previous dealership or any of the others, network through them instead. If they have someone who manages hiring, get in touch with that person and ask if they're looking for skilled MB mechanics. Polish up your resume, if you have one, and send it over in e-mail for their evaluation. Do not communicate with any hiring manager via text, ever, even if you got it from Craigslist.

Bottom line, it may take some time to go about it this way (instead of responding to a want-ad) -- you will likely become the "back-burner" guy for when somebody else forgets to show up after a drunken binge the night before and needs bail to come in to work.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
There is no harm in being aggressive in a job search. Calling about a job may get you an HR person who can facilitate your application, but for a job of that nature it might help to ask for the hiring manager. Dress like your immediate supervisor would, be clean and smoke free, and give a firm handshake. Good luck.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
There's etiquette and there's effective. There's a reason that there are pushy salesman. It works to be pushy.
I would Start off proper: call and ask who makes hiring decisions, who is the shop manager etc. ask for contact information to send resume to them. Maybe escalate that to asking to leave voicemail to discuss your resume.
I've worked reception and learned some of the tricks the hard way.
Kissing the ass of the receptionist can work.Call and find out who's who. Then call back later and just ask for them directly, maybe just by first name. Really sneaky- Call in on two lines and overwhelm the receptionist. He/She might just put you through in a hurry. Just showing up can work, but it can backfire as well. If you're confident in your interpersonal skills/charm I'd say go for it if all else fails.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Very true about proper and effective.

Like I said, I just want to ride that line in between pushy in a good way, and so annoying the guy doesn't want to ever see my face again.

I already know who the Service Manager is, and usually ask for him by name, however, they usually just kick me back to his office, which he usually isn't in. Which brings up another point...voicemails. I for sure don't want to leave a voicemail as a first contact, but is it wrong for a second if I get that far?
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Basically it comes down to if they have a need and if they'd consider you. If you know the guy already I don't see the big deal just leave him a voicemail. I'm sure he'll know why you're calling.
I'm guessing that the way the economy is no manager is allowed to just hire unless he a guy, and even then maybe not.
If he says, hey sorry I can't take anyone on right now, there is really not much you can do. There's no trick to make him hire you if he can't or doesn't need anyone.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
No no, I don't "know" him, I just know who he is.

And I know if there is nothing open, then there is nothing that can be done. I just don't want to close the door on myself by doing something that isn't considered the "right" thing to do.

Make sense?
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
I think it would be better to be over dressed for an interview than under dressed. I have interviewed people before for office positions that show up wearing jeans or clothes with stains on them. Not a good impression. Someone else mentioned it but if you smoke, do not smoke before the interview or chew gum during. You never know what kind of impression that will give someone. I think the best way to get an interview with him is to talk to one of his employees and find out what his schedule is like and when you would most likely be able to get him on the phone and try him then. I think after you have made your first contact with him voice mail would be fine, as long as he checks his voice mail.

I know someone who got a job at a tire store years ago. He went in to have a flat fixed and it was taking forever. He walked up and asked about it and they said it would be a while. He said hell I could fix it myself in 15 minutes. They gave him an application lol He is a manager there now, been there for over 12 years.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock