Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  I Just May Have Become a Ford Guy (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I Just May Have Become a Ford Guy by Scottzilla79
Started on: 07-19-2011 09:55 PM
Replies: 73
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 07-24-2011 11:20 PM
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

hmmm....the wheel bearing failed. this causes a failure of the wheel speed sensor, which fails the traction control. bearing grease somehow finds its way on the main seprentine belt. it slips, heats up & breaks. that kills the cooling system, the A/C & the Alternator, which triggers the Check Engine light. The overheated oil breaks down triggering the Change Oil warning.

just trying to imagine a wylie coyote cascade failure

Probably not far from the truth Me and the wife just traded her G6 for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would love to say that the G6 was a good car but it was not. With regular maintenance from when we got it with 50,xxx miles on to the 115,xxx when we got rid of it, I'm pretty sure every moving part in the front end had been replaced once if not twice (except motor, trans, etc. of course). I've heard similar stories from online reviews about G6's also. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I would not recommend one to a friend.

On a side note, Check out the Chevy Cruze. I have not driven one yet but am quite interested. If I cannot find a good deal on a newer truck, I may consider the Cruze and just keep my eyes out for a beater 4x4. The Cruze looks like one heckuva step up from the Cobalt and especially the Cavalier.
IP: Logged
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post
Whats the word Scottzilla79? Have you found your problem yet?
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
Im with you. After all the trouble I have had with my camaro its gone and Ill never buy a chevy. They use garbage made in mexico and japan parts. I have had less trouble with a 19 year old eclipse GSX that was beat on every day of its life. I paid 300 bucks for it rebuilt the transmission and drove the hell out of it for 2 years. The camaro has been in and out of the dealership. I gotta drop it off tuesday for another transmission overhaul. The transmission has been out of the car more than I have had oil changes. I have been looking at S2000s and miatas. Whatever I buy it wont be a GM. Its garbage. When I was there today people where complaining about everything from failed lifters to interiors falling apart in 2009-2011 cars. These things cant even last 2 years. Anybody that buys a brand new GM is completely asking for trouble.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
I am forced to agree with the majority here. With the Government running GM, they have gone to crap fast.

I have looked at Fords, (Mustangs and the Super Duty) and I am impressed with what I see so far.

It will be a long time before a new GM ever darkens my driveway again.

FORD: Providing quality cars to Americans, without taxpayer assistance.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

I am forced to agree with the majority here. With the Government running GM, they have gone to crap fast.

I have looked at Fords, (Mustangs and the Super Duty) and I am impressed with what I see so far.

It will be a long time before a new GM ever darkens my driveway again.

FORD: Providing quality cars to Americans, without taxpayer assistance.

I can't really blame the government for this. GM's quality was horrid well before the government bought them. It really took a government bailout for me to finally realize it, and accept it. I was GM's biggest male cheerleader. I would go on random rice boards, and tell them how awesome GM vehicles were... I refused to believe that the crappy quality everyone said existed was really true... I was convinced that csaba csere was just an ******* , and that it was just stupid rhetoric that everyone was saying that GM was crap... but it was really the truth, and I just didn't want to see it. GM hasn't always been crap... they've had many years through many decades of extremely well-built cars. I'd even suggest that GM had better quality in the 80s. Some of the cars in the 90s were pretty good too... maybe... I don't know... my bias is rearing it's ugly head again... I really want to believe that's true... but then you hear about all the coolant leaks on the gen 2 and gen 3 V6/60s, and all the blown head-gaskets on the quad-4s... it seems like it was always something. Has the quality always sucked, and I just never wanted to accept it?

I know Ford quality always wasn't the best either, but damn... you can't argue with their numbers now... they are in the top 3 for everything, in every category, every class of car... you name it. I even think the Ford Fusion in itself wins like 3-4 categories...

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Click to show

Same here. Just a few short years ago I would have paid more for a GM over a comparable Ford. Now I'm the opposite, and I didn't realize how bad they were until the bailout.

Brad
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Well this topic has kind of strayed from the original posting, but I just want to say something to defend the auto makers. I know a lot of people that say they are DONE with make "X". It doesn't seem to matter what make they are done with, because someone, some where, is done with it. Could be GM, Jaguar, Ford, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler, BMW, doesn't seem to matter. Somebody everywhere hates some kind of car. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a GM, but seriously dude, have you even opened your hood yet to see if the serpentine belt is on?!?!?!?!?
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
First off, this is a Pontiac Fiero forum. I am a member and owner of a Pontiac Fiero. I'm not fresh in here from the honda civic forum so I don't understand all the flaming. I love GM cars. I have only owned 4 cars outright, all GM. Chevy z24, Buick Reatta, and the Fiero. The G6 was the first car I bought new and yes I expect more from a new car. I expect it to run 100k miles without major repairs because that is what good cars are capable of today. Not to mention that when I bought the car, it came with a 100k mi power-train warranty, which they weaseled out of with the bankruptcy somehow.I was very patient with the leaky sunroof, the crappy door molding, the stupid radio that you can't upgrade without losing your DIC, the grinding noise from the power steering that was supposedly fixed but I still hear once in a while, the traction control problem that took them 3 years to fix.
Maybe I'm not "mechanically inclined" but I know what antifreeze smells like. The "smoke" in the cabin was not rubber burning it was antifreeze steam. That is why I referred to it as steam. Unfortunately I know what antifreeze steam smells like from my first car. 87 cavalier.
I look at the recovery tank when I pop the hood. Like when I popped the hood a few weeks ago to change the oil. Or when I popped it to replace the left front headlight for the second time in a month.
You can find the owners manual for yourself but it says: "Check to see if coolant is visible in the coolant recovery tank. If the coolant inside the coolant recovery tank is boiling, do not do anything else until it cools down. If coolant is visible but the coolant level is not at or above the FULL COLD mark, add a 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and DEX-COOL® coolant at the coolant recovery tank, but be sure the cooling system is cool before this is done. See Engine Coolant for more information." Doesn't say anything about popping any caps. When I popped the hood yesterday the coolant was low, especially for being hot. But we know some of it already blew into the cabin. who knows about the rest. Another nice nugget is that we took the car to the dealer for practically all of the scheduled oil changes because we kept getting coupons in the mail. I even "Trusted" the service writer at the dealership when he said the car was "due" for having the fuel injectors cleaned at 25k. When I got home and looked at the maintenance schedule it was too late. Now When I take the car in I check the maintenance schedule first.
As for the belts? Sure take a look at a g6 gtp/gxp engine bay and tell me how the belts look to you:

Should I start disassembling the "vanity cover" in the mall parking lot on a car that is still under warranty? You know what you have to do just to change the headlights on this thing? Remove the front fascia!
Never mind the fact that there was no other sign of the belt slipping, no squealing, or smoking or grinding etc...
I did pop the hood in the parking lot. I was going to open up the reservoir to help it cool down and add some bottled water I had in the car, but it was too hot. This engine operates normally at ~220F.

This car is a lemon. Illinois lemon law sucks, If we were in CA GM would have had to buy my car back.
Maybe I'm not legally inclined either.

BTW here's the status after being at the dealership a full day.
First they lost the car, they have a lot that holds maybe 30 cars and they didn't know where the car was. Keep in mind it was the last car in the lot yesterday right in front of the farking gate! Then they found it, but didn't have time to get to it. They will look at it tomorrow.

For those of you offering helpful advice and support thank you! Your commiserations and constructive words are appreciated.

I edited this down a bit because I don't want a flame war. Anyone else with comments about me personally can keep them to yourselves please.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

I've actually never had a DVD player fail on me, and I've had dozens of them. I understand your point... but I refuse to believe that we should merely "expect" that products won't last after the warranty runs out. I don't like to buy crap... and I've been VERY pleased with modern Fords. They rank in the top 3 spots for nearly every category. Almost all of their cars are in the top 3 of something. Their Fusion has more awards than they have room to display them...

Well, my Grand Marquis, your Ford's evil twin, is a POS with 100,000 on it.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 07-20-2011).]

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Click to show

Those radios are stupid aren't they? Loading/unloading CD's was just a pain and there was too much info to display on the small screen. That and the seats are the two biggest reasons I don't miss the wife's G6.

Hope everything works out for ya, I really loved the looks of the GTP/GXP's, just wish they were better built.

Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

That said, if you built the 70s cars using today's tolerances and today's quality metalurgy... you'd have a bullet-proof car. A Cutlass with an Oldsmobile Rocket 350 or 455 built just as it is now, but with better quality parts, no pot metal anywhere... the car would be amazing...

I agree 100%. A modern replica of a car from the 70s would be awesome! In fact, if they made a brand new exact replica of a 72 Roadrunner, it would be my next new car.
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I actually loved this car, but It has been an abusive relationship. Kick it to the curb girlfriend! LOL
I like the seats; we must have different sized asses.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
To me it sounds like your real problem is with the dealer you use.

Let me tell you a story,

“Years ago when my dad and I both had IROC’s when ever we took them in for service we would mark the tire and pavement where we parked them. Now we bought cars from our factory, not a dealer so the dealer made no money on us other than for regular services. I went so far as to mark a belt and pulley on the engine one time at one dealer, we went to several.

More than once the cars never moved, a couple of times mine was never even started for an oil change. That they said was done.”

You may have this same problem, they just ain’t working on your car. Or even worse just have some young kid just out of tech school working on it.

And I still say the heater core blew. check the rug under the passenger side dash. If that is where they still put the heater cores. My sister had a grand am that had it dead center so it just depends on where that is. But if you had steam coming into the passenger compartment Through the heater/ac vents, and no visible water/antifreeze leaks under your hood I will bet that is your problem now.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-20-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Great if its the heater core they probably won't cover it under powertrain, and I vaguely remember it being a ***** to get out- though I could be wrong. I know it could be the core, and it really just doesn't matter to me at this point. Every time I start thinking about this car I start to remember more problems. LIke the HVAC blower fan that is a POS and makes a constant ticking sound when running. I looked at the repair for that and it is a ridiculous amount of work and involves gluing a replacement impeller into it. Didn't think it was worth the trouble to solve a problem with some glue.
As far as the dealership is concerned,I have had similar experiences with a tire shop. I do actually inspect the car even when they are giving you that get the **** out of here already look. I took this car to the tires shop to replace a flat tire, and paid them 20$ to do an alignment as well. Guess they didn't notice the one rim with the big gash in it. Of course I knew where that rim was and it didn't change positions on the car. I went back in and they gave me some bs that he must have forgotten to do it. Never went back there again. The car was taken to 3 different GM dealerships. The Pontiac dealer we bought it from(which since closed), the Chevy dealer near my house where it is now, and a Cadillac/ Bentley dealer out in the suburbs where my SO worked at the time. I didn't get to go to that one but i hear they were really nice. LOL
No one could fix the problem until I found the TSB online and told the service writer about it.
The throttle body problem actually acted up during the legal proceedings so you would think they might have tried to put some actual effort into it.

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 07-20-2011).]

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
The craptastic build on the last 2 Chevrolets my parents bought new ruined them from ever buying another new Chevy. Mom got a Cavalier and Dad bought a full size four wheel drive. Mom's car lost oil pressure on the way home from the dealer the day it was bought, had acid rain damage that kept coming back and a transmission that routinely puked its fluid whenever it was driven at highway speeds. Dad's truck broke the rear differential 7 times in less than 70,000 miles. There was something wrong with the axle housing causing the differential to bind up, but they never replaced the entire rear axle, only patched it up with the least amount of replacement parts each time it broke. The last time they fixed it, it had 67,000 miles on it and it lasted until it had just over 70,000 miles, the end of his warranty. When he called to inform them that it was broke again, the dealer told him that it was not covered under warranty, and they would now gladly replace the entire axle assembly for him at a huge cost. With legal representation, he was able to get the dealer to repay him what he paid a local mechanic to fix the truck properly. Since then, my dad has bought full size Fords and never had any problems with them.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I can say that the G6 is one of the worst GM vehicles I have owned...We bought my wifes G6 with 28K on it and why it has not been big issues there are just ongoing issues that show the car is not made for **** ...The original brake rotors warped at 30K, wheel bearing at around 100K, the normal pop on left turns, front end rattle when hitting bump, brakes rattle when moderate braking, ect....The looks of the car is great, the 3500/65 make plenty of power for the car but the brakes/suspsion are just junk.......The car has 130K on it now and is almost paid off so will see what happens to it....

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Ya, you hear these stories too much. It reminds me of my parents in the 80's my mom had a chevette. She will never even consider a chevy ever again. I have always tell her how nice the new malibu or cruze is and she won't hear it. Some people don't understand that when an individual has a horrible experience with a company they will not forgive them easily. There is not just 3 competitors these days.
I don't want to bring politics into it but there has got to be a different mindset with a company like Ford that is still controlled by the family who has pride that their name is on the product, vs. a company that was basically given to its unions, at the cost of its shareholders and creditors, oh and the taxpayers.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Scottzilla79

2573 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I can say that the G6 is one of the worst GM vehicles I have owned...We bought my wifes G6 with 28K on it and why it has not been big issues there are just ongoing issues that show the car is not made for **** ...The original brake rotors warped at 30K, wheel bearing at around 100K, the normal pop on left turns, front end rattle when hitting bump, brakes rattle when moderate braking, ect....The looks of the car is great, the 3500/65 make plenty of power for the car but the brakes/suspension are just junk.......The car has 130K on it now and is almost paid off so will see what happens to it....

LOL I just said that i keep remembering new problems.
Had to replace rotors and pads at 20K!!!! "Oh, they just use soft metal in the rotors to keep the noise down", I said.
Oh i have that noise on the left turns too, even though that was supposed to have been fixed by a recall. Have you taken yours in for it?

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 07-20-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Anyone else with comments about me personally can keep them to yourselves please.

Will do.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Ya, you hear these stories too much.... (snip)

You know Scott... life is way too short and way to full of problems without having a problematic car turn you gray (or in my case... bald...) early.

When just thinking about a car (or whatever) is enough to give you ulcers... you gotta get rid of that trouble source. Even if this issue gets fixed... once something is ruined in your mind, it will be hard to ever find satisfaction with it again. And Americans spend way to much time in cars to be unhappy with them.

When the times comes that you can financially responsibly (read, not go into a bunch of debt or loose your butt on depreciation) move on to something else... I would.
Good Luck amigo.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Have you heard anything from the dealer yet? Like did they find your car? Just kidding about the last one but have they even looked at it?

Good luck no matter what they find. I wonder if it is something that is not covered if you or another mechanic could do the work. You know it would be at least half the cost.

Again, good luck

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

I agree 100%. A modern replica of a car from the 70s would be awesome! In fact, if they made a brand new exact replica of a 72 Roadrunner, it would be my next new car.

I have a 'new' Super Bee. I did it myself from bumper to bumper with all the new parts I could find. In the winter, I must confess, I do have to step on the gas a time or two to set the choke on the carb. It never fails to start instantly.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Heater core! Who gets the cupie doll? I'll have to give you an IOU for the prize though because the dealer quoted me $1300. I'm already out the $100 for the tow. I'm sure the stealership will charge me a diagnostic fee too. I just paid a bunch of bills off, So I was already broke. My gas tank better still have 3/4 in it.
I'm already planning to take it to the independent shop I've used in the past and referred others too. He has done verifiable good work, and never tried selling us anything we didn't need or didn't ask for. Depending on what his estimate is, I may do it myself. $1300 at the dealer or $53 for the heater core from rockauto. I know its all labor. Maybe I'll go in and fix the rattling hvac blower as well.
If I do take it on, wish me luck as I am not 'mechanically inclined'!
BTW no wet carpet under dash, no previous smell of antifreeze or steam in the cabin. heater always blew hot and a/c was always cold up until yesterday. Catastrophic failure of the heater core at 38000mi.
I am already looking for a new or slightly used car. The car is a little upside down but I havn't spent the money from the settlement so I can put it towards the down payment. After all it was to cover the depreciation on the car. I'll be preparing it for sale over the next couple weeks and looking for a reliable economical car. Considering honda civic and ford focus mostly. I'm fine with not having a fun car anymore but I cant go as far as a corolla LOL.
Blake you are right it is not worth the hassle. I don't mind if the Fiero ICM dies on me in traffic on a Sunday drive but I expect my daily driver to be available daily.
Those who refuse to see any fault in GM products you are just like Cubs fans. But even they have stopped purchasing an inferior product this year.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
If you realy want, you could eliminate the heater core from the cooling system and just loop the heater hoses together under the hood. Then trade it in.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:
Well, my Grand Marquis, your Ford's evil twin, is a POS with 100,000 on it.

.. FYI No, the Grand Marquis is not the Fusion's twin. It's the twin of the Crown Vic
The Merc clone to the Fusion was the Milan..

To make things better, they even chopped the whole Merc brand to avoid duplication (GM are you watching .. Chev vs GMC trucks)
Now you have Ford and Lincoln.

GM needs to be gutted down to Chev/Cadillac. There just inst room anymore for a company to carry multiple versions of the same car.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

I actually loved this car, but It has been an abusive relationship. Kick it to the curb girlfriend! LOL
I like the seats; we must have different sized asses.

Dunno about arse size but I have a bad back and that's why I thought the seats were uncomfortable. My truck and my Fiero have excellent seats for me so I try to stay in them as much as possible
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Heater core! Who gets the cupie doll? I'll have to give you an IOU for the prize though because the dealer quoted me $1300.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
And I still say the heater core blew. check the rug under the passenger side dash. If that is where they still put the heater cores. My sister had a grand am that had it dead center so it just depends on where that is. But if you had steam coming into the passenger compartment Through the heater/ac vents, and no visible water/antifreeze leaks under your hood I will bet that is your problem now.

Steve

I guess I do, but I don’t want a cupie doll, or anything else as far as that goes.

It must have been a Monday and a Friday built car. Never buy a car built on a Monday or a Friday but from the sounds of the problems you’ve had it was both.

Sorry to here about how much it is going to cost but you already no how much of a biatch it is to replace one of those. You have to take half the dash apart.

Good luck

Steve

------------------

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
It must have been a Monday and a Friday built car. Never buy a car built on a Monday or a Friday but from the sounds of the problems you’ve had it was both.

I've heard that old cliche' many times, but it never made sence to me. For example, Scott's heater core may have been built on a Monday, but installed on the assembly line on a Thursday. Plus, how would you ever know what day of the week the car was actually assembled?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

I've heard that old cliche' many times, but it never made sence to me. For example, Scott's heater core may have been built on a Monday, but installed on the assembly line on a Thursday. Plus, how would you ever know what day of the week the car was actually assembled?

Depending on the time it started to be built it takes about a week from body shop to final line to build a car. So you are pretty much out of luck because at least some parts of it were built on a Monday or Friday.

Steve

Retired GM line worker.

------------------

fastblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
Sure as hell don't want a car that was built on a Saturday, everyone is pissed off they had to come in on the weekend
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

LOL I just said that i keep remembering new problems.
Had to replace rotors and pads at 20K!!!! "Oh, they just use soft metal in the rotors to keep the noise down", I said.
Oh i have that noise on the left turns too, even though that was supposed to have been fixed by a recall. Have you taken yours in for it?

Then there is the extended start that likes to happen some times...up to 3 times in a row....Just did a front brake job on the front for the second time which got rid of the rattle when braking but a month later and it is back. To me the rear springs are not enough to support the rear of the car once you put groceries in it...I have drove behind G6s with kids in the back and that was enough to make the tires lean inward pretty good...Have had a time keeping tires from wearing on the front/rear of this car....I took the car in for the pop and it was fixed for a month or so but came back...there steering joint needs to be lubed every 3K to stop this. Overall from reading and my experiance the front end of the car is cheap and built like a turd.....
PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
At least the front edge of your hood didnt rust away at its underhood weld joint, at 2 years old and 15k on it. Then get told the body waranaty dosent cover it because salt can cause that damage. My 04 cavalier did just that. I have multiple paint peel locations now at 140k. That is all manufacturer error and nothing to do with parts quality as it is not a mainstream problem like it was in the early 90's I love my cavalier but there are certain things wrong with it i just shouldn't have for its age. I kinda gave up on the body as its rusting away and all the weld seems are pretty much failing. This car since 06 has shown multiple errors in the paint process. Was washed reguarly all its life till the last 2 years where i just gave up trying to save it. Mechanically though I have not put an dime into it. only three sets of front pads one set of drums. This year it is getting a 100k maintenance. Hell unlike most cavaliers of its time i still have not blown the strut mounts out. But she did roll of the assembly line 1 qt low of power steering fluid.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

At least the front edge of your hood didnt rust away at its underhood weld joint, at 2 years old and 15k on it. Then get told the body waranaty dosent cover it because salt can cause that damage. My 04 cavalier did just that. I have multiple paint peel locations now at 140k. That is all manufacturer error and nothing to do with parts quality as it is not a mainstream problem like it was in the early 90's I love my cavalier but there are certain things wrong with it i just shouldn't have for its age. I kinda gave up on the body as its rusting away and all the weld seems are pretty much failing. This car since 06 has shown multiple errors in the paint process. Was washed reguarly all its life till the last 2 years where i just gave up trying to save it. Mechanically though I have not put an dime into it. only three sets of front pads one set of drums. This year it is getting a 100k maintenance. Hell unlike most cavaliers of its time i still have not blown the strut mounts out. But she did roll of the assembly line 1 qt low of power steering fluid.

That is caused by all those robot welders everyone is so happy they are using to get rid of human workers and save money. Great idea wasn’t it. Robots only do the exact same weld every time. No matter if the metal is inferior, thinner, thicker. A human welder knows when something is wrong and can flag it for inspection or repair.

But hey robots are better they cost the company less.

And the same goes for that paint peeling away. Painting is now done by robots, no human involvement. Great job ain’t it? But an inferior paint can cause those problems as well. But go ahead, blame it on the line workers.

Something I don’t understand is that GM sends all the bodies into “The Dip” after they leave the body shop. They get submerged into an electronically activated paint sealer. Something must have gone wrong in that process for the rust to have happened.

But then all my brothers and sisters in the UAW are such bad workers they had to be replaced by robots that are infallible and never make mistakes or screw off. But I guess they screw-up.

A lot.

Steve

------------------

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I dunno, do the Toyata and Honda non-union robots have the same problems? Not according to JD Power or Consumer Reports.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock