Demonstration of Waterboarding by Larryh86GT
Started on: 07-19-2011 10:58 AM
Replies: 66
Last post by: Formula88 on 12-18-2011 01:19 PM
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
This was interesting. I marked the topic Politics but did consider marking it Fun Stuff.
Larry
A reporter volunteered to undergo Waterboarding stating a set of pre-conceived ideas and beliefs.

http://content1.clipmarks.c...6F-B184-3A07CF501B7C
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
DAMN

That dude in the mask is scary enough. I am out on that. I REALLY thought I could do 15 seconds, but after watching...

------------------
I made that up now!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

This was interesting. I marked the topic Politics but did consider marking it Fun Stuff.
Larry
A reporter volunteered to undergo Waterboarding stating a set of pre-conceived ideas and beliefs.

http://content1.clipmarks.c...6F-B184-3A07CF501B7C

Yeah, I saw that video a year or so ago... seems a bit dramatic, but they guy doesn't get at all physically hurt, so I see no big deal.

Speaking of, I've been trying to find the video... has anyone seen the episode of It's Sunny in Philidelphia where the guys waterboard their female friend in the urinal... it's friggin hilarious.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Yeah, I saw that video a year or so ago... seems a bit dramatic, but they guy doesn't get at all physically hurt, so I see no big deal.

Speaking of, I've been trying to find the video... has anyone seen the episode of It's Sunny in Philidelphia where the guys waterboard their female friend in the urinal... it's friggin hilarious.

Yeah. Frank waterboards Sweet Dee. The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis My favorite episode.

WILD CARD BITCHES!!!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
sorry, but as someone who is very comfortable underwater, I don't see where this is scary.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
as fun as it is to torture the enemy, the reality is waterboarding, gitmo, and other BS did NOTHING to find Osama, did it? Osama had been sitting the exact same spot for 7-8 years, and not one waterboarded person gave him up. He was found thru classic investigation/police work.

torture & torment are more a control to instill fear in both your people and the enemy, than they are a information tool. and, in history, make the people who use it "the bad guys". Gitmo and the others will NEVER be justified in history. Especially in light of the facts that they NEVER led to the capture of either Saddam or Osama. Not even a spec. Tho, I expect the chistians will do all they can to pretend it didnt happen. And, funny how that works out, isnt it?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Pyrthian

29569 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
sorry, but as someone who is very comfortable underwater, I don't see where this is scary.

yes, I do expect this is actually quite trainable to endure

much like girls & their gag reflex?
yuck...sry....
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

as fun as it is to torture the enemy, the reality is waterboarding, gitmo, and other BS did NOTHING to find Osama, did it? Osama had been sitting the exact same spot for 7-8 years, and not one waterboarded person gave him up. He was found thru classic investigation/police work.

torture & torment are more a control to instill fear in both your people and the enemy, than they are a information tool. and, in history, make the people who use it "the bad guys". Gitmo and the others will NEVER be justified in history. Especially in light of the facts that they NEVER led to the capture of either Saddam or Osama. Not even a spec. Tho, I expect the chistians will do all they can to pretend it didnt happen. And, funny how that works out, isnt it?

We will never know what information they got out of Gitmo, you can say that it didn't do anything, but that would be false, just as to say it lead to captures... we just don't know.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
We will never know what information they got out of Gitmo, you can say that it didn't do anything, but that would be false, just as to say it lead to captures... we just don't know.

so, you will speculate in favor of torture? we have seen what led to the captures - and none of it leads back to torture. In fact - just the oppostie - it shows torture DOESNT work.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

so, you will speculate in favor of torture? we have seen what led to the captures - and none of it leads back to torture. In fact - just the oppostie - it shows torture DOESNT work.

I won't say either way, as I do not have access to classified information.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Torture a man for a ling enough time, and he'll confess to killing Christ himself...
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Torture a man for a ling enough time, and he'll confess to killing Christ himself...

Been shown to be true many times.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
That's why it's not a good idea to torture someone for a confession.
Torture only works to get information you can verify if it's accurate or not.
i.e., ask someone for the combination to a safe. It's pretty easy to tell if they give you the right info or not.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
As has been said, it has been proven over and over and over that ALL you get from torture, reliably.. is the person will tell you anything you WANT Tot hear to stop!!

As for this show Sunny in Philly....
WOW! Sure glad I have better taste than to watch that show! That description of the urinal water-boarding sounds down right disgusting and degrading!
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:
WOW! Sure glad I have better taste than to watch that show! That description of the urinal water-boarding sounds down right disgusting and degrading!

Um, that's the point.

?
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Um, that's the point.

?

And that is MY point!!
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

And that is MY point!!

Idk, Danny DeVito is hilarious in that show. Not for everyone I guess, but its in my top 3 television series.

Sidenote, in the episode "Frank Gets An Intervention" the shirt that Charlie is wearing is what my school's Pep Band wore during my sophomore year. Its crazy because we're just a small school in rural SE MN with 500 kids. The best part is that no one knows how they got a hold of one.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I'll confess to it without an ounce of torture.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
Waterboarding is know to be very effective. In fact if it "wasn't that scary" I doubt it would be used.

Those that are saying it doesn't look that bad should make their own videos and post them here to see how well they fare.

Come on...man up, state a time you think you can last, let us get someone carry out the waterboarding, see if you can make it.

Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage and, if uninterrupted, death.[4] Adverse physical consequences can manifest themselves months after the event, while psychological effects can last for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 07-19-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

Waterboarding is know to be very effective. In fact if it "wasn't that scary" I doubt it would be used.

Those that are saying it doesn't look that bad should make their own videos and post them here to see how well they fare.

Come on...man up, state a time you think you can last, let us get someone carry out the waterboarding, see if you can make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

Yup, it looks FAR milder then it is.

If you look hard enough, there are actual videos of the real deal.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Jumping from the 50th floor of the towers is like a walk in the park, no torture there.
Waterboard then if there is a 1% chance you can keep more spattered blood and brains from having to be cleaned from the sidewalk.
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I'd love to have 24 hours of your time, and I guarantee you won't be at all "physically hurt", as you put it. At the end of that 24 hours I'll have you saying whatever I want you to say, even admitting having necrophiliac relations with a dead relative. It's amazing what people will say to make pain stop, even pain that doesn't cause physical damage.

Of course, I'd need you to sign a binding release of liability, including any claims for psychological damage, PTSD, depression, nightmares, insomnia, etc. None of those are physical, of course.

When and where...
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

But you're wrong, torture DOES work! It works perfectly for sadists looking to get confessions, as proven by the KGB (which is where much of our tort...er...enhanced interrogation techniques derive from) for decades. It's also great for people who get their rocks off on pain, and it's great for inflicting vengeance for hurts, perceived or otherwise.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

Jumping from the 50th floor of the towers is like a walk in the park, no torture there.
Waterboard then if there is a 1% chance you can keep more spattered blood and brains from having to be cleaned from the sidewalk.

1%?
So in your scenario 99% of the people that you would have tortured were innocent?

I wonder if it is easier to torture someone who looks like Osama Bin Laden then someone who looks like Robin Willams?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-19-2011).]

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

1%?
So in your scenario 99% of the people that you would have tortured were innocent?

I wonder if it is easier to torture someone who looks like Osama Bin Laden then someone who looks like Robin Willams?

Where did I say that Mr. Carnac?
First of all how many people were waterboarded out of all that were captured?
Second, the grunts have no info that is worth much.
But I have no problem waterboarding someone captured because their position tells you they know enough, if extracted, that it may save American lives.
And frankly your last statement is absurd. Why do you libs use the race card in your arguments, and it always seem to come as the parting shot.
I don't give a crap if they look like you or me, if they are our sworn enemies, waterboard them.

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 07-20-2011).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

But I have no problem waterboarding someone captured ...

Then by definition you have no problem with our captured troops being waterboarded...
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Then by definition you have no problem with our captured troops being waterboarded...

If they only got waterboarded, that would be a lot better than how they are treated now. Our captured troops are beaten, raped, bones broken and killed.

Only 3 prisoners were ever waterboarded under President Bush and I wish that those three had more done to them than just waterboarding. I don't miss one second of sleep on those three slime bags.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
and off we go into justifications for torture
knew it wouldnt be long
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

and off we go into justifications for torture
knew it wouldnt be long

What is your definition of torture?

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
What is your definition of torture?

lol

listening to (reading?) this kind of BS is a fine start

sorry for whatever damaged you in the past.....
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

lol

listening to (reading?) this kind of BS is a fine start

sorry for whatever damaged you in the past.....

Nice unwarranted personal attack. You did not answer the question.

If we are going to talk about torture, then we need to know what everyone means when they use the word "torture".

If you watched the video, the man doing the waterboarding defined very clearly what he considers torture.

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Nice unwarranted personal attack. You did not answer the question.

If we are going to talk about torture, then we need to know what everyone means when they use the word "torture".

If you watched the video, the man doing the waterboarding defined very clearly what he considers torture.

doesnt matter. you think torture is A-OK, and THAT is what really matters.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

doesnt matter. you think torture is A-OK, and THAT is what really matters.

I don't think that torture is "A-OK". I have a specific definition of torture which matches the unidentified man's definition in the video.

You can't seem to even define the word so I have no idea what you mean by "torture". Would taking away Friday night pizza in Juvenile Hall be "torture" in your book?

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

I don't think that torture is "A-OK". I have a specific definition of torture which matches the unidentified man's definition in the video.

You can't seem to even define the word so I have no idea what you mean by "torture". Would taking away Friday night pizza in Juvenile Hall be "torture" in your book?

it either is or it aint. above you seem to imply that it is. is it? or aint it?

and, for the friday pizza - if that is all the food they will get for the week - yes - that is torture.
tho - it is cute to watch you try and "clinton out". calling for definitions, so you can try and find squiggle room.
how about we skip "torture", and just stick to waterboarding? are you OK with it? you have said no, and implied yes - which is it?
is waterboarding A-OK?
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

it either is or it aint. above you seem to imply that it is. is it? or aint it?

and, for the friday pizza - if that is all the food they will get for the week - yes - that is torture.
tho - it is cute to watch you try and "clinton out". calling for definitions, so you can try and find squiggle room.
how about we skip "torture", and just stick to waterboarding? are you OK with it? you have said no, and implied yes - which is it?
is waterboarding A-OK?

I am actually capable of answering questions:

Yes, I am "A-OK" with waterboarding.

It is not torture. Using fear to get compliance from a prisoner is not torture.

So what are your answers to your own questions?

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

I am actually capable of answering questions:

Yes, I am "A-OK" with waterboarding.

It is not torture. Using fear to get compliance from a prisoner is not torture.

So what are your answers to your own questions?

you know damn well it is torture, and you are just trying to justify it.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

you know damn well it is torture, and you are just trying to justify it.

Since you can't define what torture is, then this discussion isn't going to get very far. It is not torture according to my definition. You have no definition so torture can be anything.

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Do you read?
Go back and see what I said about grunts. They should be treated differently than the higher-ups.
Any of our troops who is not an officer has nothing to offer, except to be used as propaganda, then later found in the road decapitated.

Our guys get treated way worse then the other way around. And officers have always known that when captured they will not be treated too kindly.
And kissing both sides of the enemy's butt, will never change anything.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Since you can't define what torture is, then this discussion isn't going to get very far. It is not torture according to my definition. You have no definition so torture can be anything.

lol - nice try. waterboarding IS torture.

but, here are several definitions, all of which include waterboarding as torture, and all recognized worldwide.:

1. Part 1, Article 1 and the US Reservations of the UN Convention Against Torture:

The term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

2. The US Reservations for the UN Convention Against Torture: In order to constitute torture, an act must be specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering and that mental pain or suffering refers to prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from (1) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering; (2) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality; (3) the threat of imminent death; or (4) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality.

3. Article 32 of the Fourth Geneva Conventionany measure of such a character as to cause the physical suffering or extermination of protected persons in their hands. This prohibition applies not only to murder, torture, corporal punishments, mutilation and medical or scientific experiments not necessitated by the medical treatment of a protected person, but also to any other measures of brutality whether applied by civilian or military agents.

4. Article 147 of the Fourth Geneva Convention: torture or inhuman treatment, including biological experiments, willfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health

5. Article 7(2)(e) of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court"Torture" means the intentional infliction of severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, upon a person in the custody or under the control of the accused; except that torture shall not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to, lawful sanctions.

6. Inter-American Convention to Prevent and Punish Torture For the purposes of this Convention, torture shall be understood to be any act intentionally performed whereby physical or mental pain or suffering is inflicted on a person for purposes of criminal investigation, as a means of intimidation, as personal punishment, as a preventive measure, as a penalty, or for any other purpose. Torture shall also be understood to be the use of methods upon a person intended to obliterate the personality of the victim or to diminish his physical or mental capacities, even if they do not cause physical pain or mental anguish.The concept of torture shall not include physical or mental pain or suffering that is inherent in or solely the consequence of lawful measures, provided that they do not include the performance of the acts or use of the methods referred to in this article.

7. 18 United States Code Title 18, §2340(2)
“torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control

(2)“severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from—

(A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;

(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;

(C) the threat of imminent death; or

(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality;

I find it disgusting that you go to such lengths to attempt to justify torture.

edit: and, just for my own satisfaction - are you a christian?

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 07-20-2011).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

I find it disgusting that you go to such lengths to attempt to justify torture.

edit: and, just for my own satisfaction - are you a christian?

I asked for your definition of torture.

I'm not going to respond to your personal attacks.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock