Started on: 07-18-2011 08:40 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 07-31-2011 02:00 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
VINDICATION!!

I followed a flex pipe for a few feet and came upon this (buried about 3" underground)!

The plan now is to connect a hose to it, and turn on the solenoid valves to see what pops up... And I guess pray that the other end of the main supply line isn't cut off (and not capped) inside my house somewhere....

Does anyone see any other dangers to "backfeeding" the plumbing??

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 07-30-2011).]

IP: Logged
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Does anyone see any other dangers to "backfeeding" the plumbing??

Well, since it your house and not mine, go for it.
------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-30-2011).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I doubt that the line runs to the inside of your house - but anything is possible. I say go for it. Since you mentioned that the main water line to your house was replaced before you bought it, your theory that the irrigation system was not hooked back up when the new line was installed makes sense to me. Keep in mind that the irrigation main would have to be some where between the house main shut off and the water meter, so that is where I'd probe. That is unless your irrigation system is fed by a well - then you might never find the well.

I am still boggled that there is no evidence of a control panel. You do not have any unexplained holes on the walls in your garage? Most control panels are mounted inside a garage or on an exterior wall near a back door.

edit - I do not see any issues with forcing city water thru the system to find a possible open line,

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 07-30-2011).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:
That is unless your irrigation system is fed by a well - then you might never find the well.

In FL that's very common....
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Oh my god.

Well, I put water into the sprinkler, and about 4 sprinklers popped up - ALL SEMI-CIRCLES POINTED TOWARDS THE NEIGHBOR'S YARD.

Their sprinklers are about 6 feet into my property. Great. Well that was fun.

I get to learn that not only do I not have sprinklers, I can't build a fence over there because their sprinklers would be in the way.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Oh my god.

Well, I put water into the sprinkler, and about 4 sprinklers popped up - ALL SEMI-CIRCLES POINTED TOWARDS THE NEIGHBOR'S YARD.

I get to learn that not only do I not have sprinklers, I can't build a fence over there because their sprinklers would be in the way.

Sorry about your bad luck on the sprinklers. But, knowing they are on your property (assuming you have a surveyed plot), I'd build a fence if I wanted one. I suspect that sprinkly system isn't something your neighbor is very worried about, otherwise I'd think he would have discussed your digging adventure at some point.

------------------
Ron

Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
If the lot has been surveyed and you are absolutely sure where the lot line is build your fence. I'd suspect that the neighbors aren't using the system since it was buried so far down. Is it possible that this is still your system and the heads were reoriented for some other reason? 6 feet is a long way to be on your property for a dug in system. Do your neighbors know about any of this?
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
their sprinklers are now your sprinklers
re-aim them your way
anything built on your land is yours
unless you let it be 20 years then the next door guy could claim your 6 ft bit as his
but that would be a thin claim

anyway a wall or fence on the true border line is your option
I would thank him for the sprinklers
and do something to mark the true line

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
I think Ray said it right. They're YOUR sprinklers. Regardless of what direction they're facing. Spin 'em around, plumb them up and sit back.
outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
i have been watching this thread and i just busted up laughing....you dug up your lawn only to find the neighbors sprinkler system?. sounds like my luck.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlawfiero17:

i have been watching this thread and i just busted up laughing....you dug up your lawn only to find the neighbors sprinkler system?. sounds like my luck.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Oh my god.

Sounds like there might have been a garden or something on the edge of your property. The sprinklers may heve existed just to support that garden.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Wow... what kind of fancy sprinkler systems are those?

In Fort Lauderdale, I just have a 4-zone proportioning valve that changes every time pressure is applied and re-applied to the valve. I've got a 220v / 2.5hp sprinkler pump that feeds from Canal water. It's controlled by a timer box that is mounted next to it, and then the water goes through the proportioning valve to one of the four zones. Every time the timer box stops the pump, and then starts it up again, it changes to one of the other zones.

What is all this crazy stuff with multiple valves and whatnot?

I assume this is using city-water? If that were the case, I'd probably not want to use it... I can only imagine how expensive that might be. See if you can have a simple well dug... I think you can get an entire sprinkler pump well dug for less than $500 bucks.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock