Started on: 07-18-2011 01:45 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Formula88 on 07-20-2011 12:14 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
My wife decided she wants to visit the coast of North Carolina in October. I told her she has total control of where we spend our vacation this year and the NC Coast is her choice. I've been doing some internet browsing of the area but thought I'd ask here for any recommendations the natives or folks familiar with the area might suggest. Thanks for any and all replies. I don't think she intends to just go to the beach and hang out, she wants to travel the coastal roads and spend a night in a different place each night. At this point, it appears we'll be spending one night near Ashville and then travel to some place called Top Sail or Emerald Isle. Works for me. Not sure about after that.

We were going to visit FL because I had the opportunity to transport a couple of cars from there to KY but, she doesn't want to spend two days traveiling there and two days on the return trip from South FL. In that this has to happen all in one week, I understand her decision. The FL option would have been almost a paid vacation, oh well, it's her turn to decide where she wants us to go.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-18-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Do ya want to KNOW where she really wants you to go?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Do ya want to KNOW where she really wants you to go?

Based on the last thirty years, I already know where she likes me to go.
I also know where she wants me to take her, what I don't know is what is there to see and do along the way.

------------------
Ron

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
From North to South along the coast....

Wright Brothers Memorial - Kitty Hawk, NC. Stand on the spot where man first took powered flight in a heavier than air vehicle.
Roanoke Island - hot tourist destination since 1587.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Ocracoke Island - (NC Outer Banks. No roads lead to the island, but you can take your car across on the Ferry) (great romantic location )
Beaufort, NC - NC coastal fishing town that predates the founding of the U.S. Blackbeard's flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, is shipwrecked off the coast. There's an ongoing effort to recover artifacts from the ship. Some may be on display in Beaufort. (pronounced "Bo-furt")
USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial - Wilmington NC
Invasion of the Pirates - Wilmington NC, Oct. 8th.

Topsail Beach is just a generic beach town. Nice destination, but nothing to go out of your way for.
Emerald Island is well known and has a popular beach music festival. You can learn how to shag. (dance, that is)

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-18-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that list, I'll show it to the Mrs.

Anyone else got any hidden treasures along the coast?

------------------
Ron

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Okracoke Island is a wonderful place. Just as you come off the ferry at the southern end, there's a big store on your right. Immediately past that store is a small motel with maybe a dozen rooms. It backs up to Silver Lake with a view across the lake (actually a cove) of the light house. Also a wonderful little restaurant right across the street. If you ever find a beach that's too crowded for you, just go a little further. I believe the island is 12 or 13 miles long and the beach runs the full length on the Atlantic side.

For our vacations, my wife and I started at the GA/FL line and headed north, island hopping and riding ferries, camping in campsites located along the shores. Each year we would start where we left off the previous year. It took us 5 years to get to Kitty Hawk. The NC shoreline is wonderful. We made it all the way to Kitty Hawk and decided in the following years we'd just return to Ocracoke.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Okracoke Island is a wonderful place. Just as you come off the ferry at the southern end, there's a big store on your right. Immediately past that store is a small motel with maybe a dozen rooms. It backs up to Silver Lake with a view across the lake (actually a cove) of the light house. Also a wonderful little restaurant right across the street. If you ever find a beach that's too crowded for you, just go a little further. I believe the island is 12 or 13 miles long and the beach runs the full length on the Atlantic side.

For our vacations, my wife and I started at the GA/FL line and headed north, island hopping and riding ferries, camping in campsites located along the shores. Each year we would start where we left off the previous year. It took us 5 years to get to Kitty Hawk. The NC shoreline is wonderful. We made it all the way to Kitty Hawk and decided in the following years we'd just return to Ocracoke.

Excellent! Googled the island and played a tourist video for the lady of the house, she's interested. We shall see. Thanks.

------------------
Ron

PAPA_SMURF

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAPA_SMURFSend a Private Message to PAPA_SMURFDirect Link to This Post
There are a bunch of light houses 13 in all if I remember correctly. I think they are neat.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PAPA_SMURF:

There are a bunch of light houses 13 in all if I remember correctly. I think they are neat.

Yeppers, she mentioned more that once she wants to see a light house or two, thanks.

------------------
Ron

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

From North to South along the coast....

Wright Brothers Memorial - Kitty Hawk, NC. Stand on the spot where man first took powered flight in a heavier than air vehicle.
Roanoke Island - hot tourist destination since 1587.
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Ocracoke Island - (NC Outer Banks. No roads lead to the island, but you can take your car across on the Ferry) (great romantic location )
Beaufort, NC - NC coastal fishing town that predates the founding of the U.S. Blackbeard's flagship, Queen Anne's Revenge, is shipwrecked off the coast. There's an ongoing effort to recover artifacts from the ship. Some may be on display in Beaufort. (pronounced "Bo-furt")
USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial - Wilmington NC
Invasion of the Pirates - Wilmington NC, Oct. 8th.

Topsail Beach is just a generic beach town. Nice destination, but nothing to go out of your way for.
Emerald Island is well known and has a popular beach music festival. You can learn how to shag. (dance, that is)

I'll add two to this list. One, The Lost Colony. Near the outerbanks, I'll let you Google the spot. Two, make a hard left, drive two hours north, and give me a shout out. I would love to meet your wife, and I could even tolerate you for a few minutes. Seriously though, If I could break free, I might could even meet you down there for coffee. I would hate to let an opportunity like that go by without at least making the effort.

Jim
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
This is a shot from near the back of the motel I spoke of, looking across Silver Lake.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I'll add two to this list. One, The Lost Colony. Near the outerbanks.

Jim

That would be Roanoke Island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
It's in Dare County, named after one of the members of the colony, Virginia Dare - the first English child born in North America.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-18-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

That would be Roanoke Island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

I clicked on the link and didn't see it listed, so I mentioned it. I wasn't really sure where it was exactly. It was 20 years ago when my wife and I went there on our honeymoon. So it got mentioned twice.

Jim

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
It's cool. It was mentioned from the link, but you had to dig for it a bit.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I'll add two to this list. One, The Lost Colony. Near the outerbanks, I'll let you Google the spot. Two, make a hard left, drive two hours north, and give me a shout out. I would love to meet your wife, and I could even tolerate you for a few minutes. Seriously though, If I could break free, I might could even meet you down there for coffee. I would hate to let an opportunity like that go by without at least making the effort.

Jim

Jim,
I'll be sure to check it out with the lady of the house. As to getting together with you, I'm not sure what or where the wife is planning on going. Right now, we're talking about spending a night near Ashville to visit relatives and then go to the southern most beach in NC and working our way north. But, as long as you promise to bring your wife along, I'll keep you in the know as to our plans. No wife and you'll be in the dark. I've got to meet the lady that puts up with you and loves spice cake.

Thanks for all the responses folks. It's looking like we're gonna have a great trip.

------------------
Ron

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
..THERE ARE PLACES IN THE MOUNTAINS where you can stop & walk down to streams, really neat,but your wife might not like the exertion .
the pisgah national forrest,,camp out on the way to the shore
Im pretty certain Onslow beach is out ,tho it is a neat beach

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 07-19-2011).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

..THERE ARE PLACES IN THE MOUNTAINS where you can stop & walk down to streams really neat,but your wife might not like the exertion .

Stan,
That may happen, thanks for the recommendation.

------------------
Ron

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
If you're thinking about the mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great scenic drive and there are resorts and places all over the Great Smokey Mountains.
Oh, and The Tail of the Dragon is near Robbinsville NC at the NC/TN border. Fiero nirvana.
The Tail of the Dragon website also has links to a number of attractions in the area as well as lodging. Mountain cabin rentals, etc.
Franklin NC is where the we normally gather when Run For the Hills is running the Dragon, but Franklin also has some fun places to visit. There are a number of gem mines in the area, so if you or your wife are interested in gemology, check it out.

Asheville NC also has the The Biltmore House.
You really can't comprehend the size of the place until you visit.

Sorry for the small pic, but can you see the potted plants along the sidewalk in front of the house? Compare them to the entry way.

Here's a closer view.

Now for some perspective - compare their size to the cars parked along the curb.

It's a multi-day destination. There are multiple inside tours, upstairs, downstairs, and the "behind the walls tour." There's also a winery and gardens.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock