Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Suggestions for AWD winter car (few years old / used) in the $6000 - $8500 range?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Suggestions for AWD winter car (few years old / used) in the $6000 - $8500 range? by doublec4
Started on: 07-15-2011 04:36 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: cherokee 140 on 07-18-2011 08:24 AM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a winter car for this upcoming winter. I know, I know, don't say the 'w' word just yet. However, I want to start looking early.

I'd like something with AWD for the fun of it in the snow. My budget is around 6000 - 8500. I've been looking at the Subaru Imprezas, but they can be pricey. People still want 10,000 for a 10 year old car with 220,000+ kms on it thats probably ready to fall apart.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

------------------

Check out my build!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Suburus are awd cars..$5-8K you should be able to find a fairly new one.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Mitsubishi Evo

Actually, I;d recommend the Subaru, or maybe an older Ford Tempo AWD (if its in good condition)
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Volvo S40 AWD? Similar in size to the Impreza.

Maybe a Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe AWD?

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
That's just broken in for a Subaru... I've seen 250,000 mile EJ22's with insides that look almost brand new, crosshatching and all.
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Subaru Outback. Almost 9 inches of ground clearance IIRC plus AWD
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Is this just a fun car or one that you have to carry stuff and/or passengers in too?

If it is just a fun car then a AWD DSM or 3000GT are fun during the winter with snow tires.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 07-15-2011).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
AWD Celica
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

AWD Celica

they are called alltrac's and there hard to come by.. if you do get interested in one the ST165 is one of the ones to get.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I would like to get a Subaru SVX, but I'm not sure its really the most practical vehicle.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, very helpful.

AkursedX, thanks for the links, I can't believe the Jag is that cheap?

As for the Subarus, you guys seem pretty confident that even the high mileage (200,000+ km) are still okay? How much longer do you figure they'll last?...

In terms of what its for, just strictly winter driving. I don't need to haul anything other than a passenger on the odd occasion. Otherwise, I'll be the only one in it most of the time. No kids/family. I'm still in fun mode!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Jaguars get sold cheap because people realize how expensive they are to fix. The resale value is terrible on them. They are good cars though... Nothing I wouldn't buy. I would, however, caution against them in favor of the other suggestions. Honestly, a Fiero does well in winter. The weight behind the wheels is nice; plus, I like RWD vehicles more because they are more predictable, IMHO. The Subarus are good cars. I would wager those are the best, but I haven't lived enough winters to be sure. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Forbes Best Cars for Snow
Knew I could find it again.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HI-TECH:

they are called alltrac's and there hard to come by.. if you do get interested in one the ST165 is one of the ones to get.

I almost got one of these before I discovered my first fiero on craigslist. Never knew what a fiero was at the time, but completely forgot about the $2000 alltrac that only needed a new waterpump. I seem to think it was a 96. It was love at first sight almost. I didn't hear but one bit of good about the fiero(still don't) but my mind was set. Kinda wishing i could've grabbed that celica, because they are impossible to find these days. Definitely glad I picked the fiero though. My fiero has tought me alot of life lessons. I would not be myself today if I had picked the celica.

EDIT: Definitely not a 96, those had the ugly round lights. I liked the ones with the lift lights.

[This message has been edited by Shill (edited 07-16-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Any thoughts on a small SUV, or did you want a car? Why AWD? FWD with winter tires does very well (I live in a snow belt area).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im all for the Subaru too if thats what you need. Its just me, but I dont buy asian cars myself. Ive never been anywhere I couldnt go with whatever I had. (well once we had a 4 foot blizzard and I had a Dodge full size van that left me stranded but then nothing, even Jeeps were moving.) I once also drove my Ferrari kit 100 miles home during a freak ice storm that laid out a few inches of solid glaze ice on the interstate.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks again guys.

Not really looking at an SUV because they're terrible on gas, plus its just much bigger than I need. Never really been an SUV guy anyways.

AWD isn't necessarily a must, but I think it would be fun in the winter. My price range just dropped because I might be buying a place instead of renting a cheaper place. House is #1 before the car. Looking at a mazda protege now. I'd like to stay with American brands but at this point its whatever I can afford.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about the snow, but always been a fan of MazdaSpeed Protege5, and of course, the Rx7
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Get a 2.5RS... there pretty much WRX's minus the Turbo Great cars solid drive trian and will do what you need.
rambozotheclown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rambozotheclownSend a Private Message to rambozotheclownDirect Link to This Post
another +1 for subaru, but dont forget audi. you should be able to find a nice 00-05ish A4 with 2.0 turbo and Quattro in your price range. reliability of a VW jetta, plus AWD

------------------

just filler 'til I make a Fiero sig

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I'm a little apprehensive about buying an audi/vw. German cars have the reputation to be expensive to fix, no?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Your average VW isn't that expensive to maintain. It'll be more expensive than your average domestic car, but not excessively so. Although, since Audi is a "premium brand", that may be a different story.

That said, I've never driven in snow (we moved to Florida before I was old enough to drive). So I can't offer any useful advice regarding that.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-17-2011).]

turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I'm a little apprehensive about buying an audi/vw. German cars have the reputation to be expensive to fix, no?

I have a lot of VW friends and personally would never own one out of warranty. I can name 2 people right at this very second getting engines replaced with less than 50k miles on their cars. My one friend just got his CC 2 months ago and has already been to the dealer 4 times for weird things going on. Guess what. The crossmember bolts where loose. Then they installed new ones and over torqued them. Made the car drive so weird he has to get new bushings and bolts on a car with less than 1000 miles on it. Yea its the dealers fault the bolts where overtightened but the car is so over engineered its retarded. Ill never know what somebody would buy one of those things.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
cherokee 140

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cherokee 140Click Here to visit cherokee 140's HomePageSend a Private Message to cherokee 140Direct Link to This Post
I have two...a 2000 2.5RS that I bought new and is a great car (just make sure the timimg belts get changed it is an interference motor and if you don't know when they have been changed get them changed)

I also have a Volvo XC70 and that thing will go in snow that will park the subie. Watch for weak trannies tho...get one that is in good shape.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock