Started on: 07-15-2011 06:57 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 07-16-2011 10:27 AM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2011 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
---or at least, ONE of them
I hate the bastardisation of words! This one has been around for years, but it annoys me to heck and back again 'Kids'..
Kids are baby goats!! CHILDREN are young humans (although more and more often the 'new' fad to interchange the term is completely justified ).
It just irks me, to hear somebody call their child a kid!! Can't help thinking that, like so many things nowadays, it is disrespecting children somehow
And another thing...media reports have dropped the use of 'Mr.' and 'Mrs.' or 'Miss'and just using their surname in addressing people in the News, and again seem to be disrespecting people by doing so. And the reverse of the coin, is the over-familiarisation of 'famous' people (often instigated by themselves to look 'cool' ) by using their christian name (ooops...see..there we go again...sorry...it is now 'first name' or some other term ). It was instigated in the UK by Mr.(call me Tony) Blair, ex-PM.
Does over-familiarisation like this actually diminish respect...or am I just being an old Fart, as usual ?
Nick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
"Kids" has been used interchangably with "children", since I was a... kid.
Perhaps it's a regional thing. Is this actually something new, in your neck of the woods?

As for the rest... Yeah. No respect for people any more.
But that's the media for you.
I don't really have any respect for the media, either, so perhaps we're even, in that regard.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
Over on this (maybe less civilized) side of the pond, the term "kid" has been used to refer to children, ever since I was a....er....uh...child. The other two have been common for quite some time, as well.

(edit:) Radar said the same as I was typing. I guess this old man is just too slow.

As of late, I have been annoyed by the miss use and over use of the word "random". It seems that the younger people now use it in place of "strange" or "odd"; as in "Dude, that was really random".
I guess, for better or worse, language evolves.

I'm a grumpy old man, and I approve of this message.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 07-15-2011).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2011 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
No it isn't new here, Raydar...but becomes more and more typical daily usage throughout all social 'classes', whereas it was typically used more, years ago, by the 'lower classes' .' Yeah, my kids this...and my kids that..' just doesn't sit comfortably with me 'My son' or 'my daughter', or 'my children' seems to me to be declaring the close and important personal bond between parents and children, and 'kids' just seems to be rather offhand , which again is reflected more and more nowadays by the depreciation in parental responsibility.
65 years alive nowadays sees MANY changes in things during that span, whereas change used to be much slower in transition during lifespans a century ago, even.
Yes, I am an old Fart
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-15-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I guess, for better or worse, language devolves.

I'm a grumpy old man, and I approve of this message.

fixed that for ya.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Being 28, I may not really have anything to add to the conversation, but I think a lot of the stuff with the media dropping 'Mr.' 'Mrs.' or 'Ms.' may be in large part to the cost cutting of the print media. Somebody, somewhere, did a cost analysis of the ink used and probably noticed that if you drop the Honorific titles in the entire paper, you could shave 5%(I'm guessing, I really don't know) of the production costs per printing and if there are enough to delete, you could save an entire paragraph of paper space potentially allowing for more ad space. And as print media went, so did broadcast media. It's less to say and, as such, allows for either A) an ever-so-slightly higher amount of news space or B)(and more likely) more commercial and advertising time.

Just my thoughts and hypothesis on it.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Just my thoughts and hypothesis on it.

Why do young people find it necessary to be redundant over and over again?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
My fault with me getting old is that stuff I paid no attention to before, now just pizzes me off. I have a list of hundreds of things now ranging from loud car radios to obnoxious/loud kids in restaurants. I used to let it run off like water, now I tell people to shut the f*&k up.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Why do young people find it necessary to be redundant over and over again?

Thoughts and Hypothesis, while not mutually exclusive, are different. You can have a thought without having a hypothesis, but you must have a thought to have a hypothesis. Which is what I did. I may not have typed it out, but I did have many thoughts on it and the hypothesis that I posted is the result, but, because of the way my thoughts process, I did not realize that I had not typed out my thoughts, which is why I seemed to be redundant at the end of my post.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
[walks through thread spraying lysol]

Man it smells like death in here. (cause of all the old farts)

[closes door]

Brad
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Thoughts and Hypothesis, . . .

. . . at the end of my post.

I rest my case.

PFF
System Bot
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

[walks through thread spraying lysol]

Man it smells like death in here. (cause of all the old farts)

[closes door]

Brad

Dam kids!
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

I rest my case.

Smartass.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
There are too many things to list about getting "old" for me to even start, but on your original post Nick, "kids" has been used interchangably with "children" since I can remember. What got me first time I heard it, (and that's been 40 or 50 years ago), was when a parent called his own offspring...............rug rats!..................another was yard apes! Both somewhat applicable in cases I've been witness to, but still...................that's just not a very nice thing to call your "youngins"! I think it's one of those deals people like to think of as "terms of endearment", you know, meant in a humorous tounge in cheek kinda loveingly way?

Back to getting old, one of my biggest beefs is - gravity works and time makes it work better!

HAGO!
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure of the exact time frame, but "kids" has been used to refer to children since at least the mid 1800's, probably earlier.
Damn Nick, you are old
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
That's "Mister" Nick to all you young whippersnappers.
As for the term "kids", I prefer nowdays to refer to them all as 'spawn'.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-15-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

As for the term "kids", I prefer nowdays to refer to them all as 'spawn'.

I like 'enders'.
As in evolution's end-game.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The misuse of words is like chalk screeching on a blackboard, but only to us old folks who can remember that sound.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

It just irks me, to hear somebody call their child a kid!! Can't help thinking that, like so many things nowadays, it is disrespecting children somehow

This usage is nothing new. Do you remember the old American song "School Days," the chorus of which ends with "... when we were a couple of kids?" It was published in 1907.

... am I just being an old Fart, as usual ?

Yes. And you still need to show some respect to your elders ... like me.

Originally posted by spark1:

The misuse of words is like chalk screeching on a blackboard, but only to us old folks who can remember that sound.

Good one! The sound of a magic marker on a whiteboard ... or the sound of a finger on a touchscreen ... isn't quite the same.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-17-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Or a pointer on an overhead projector. Wonder what they did with all those things? Somewhere, there must be a mountain of scrapped overhead projectors piled up

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-16-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Smartass.

And they are soooo slow to listen! That's Mr. Smartass to you, sonny.

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Wonder what they did with all those [overhead projectors]?

You can build a cheap-but-acceptable projection TV out of one if you are handy with tools. Oversimplifying somewhat, you take an old LCD computer monitor out of its case and lay the LCD array on the glass stage of the overhead projector.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-19-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock