Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Want A Crabcake? OK, But Leave Your Crabs At Home!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Want A Crabcake? OK, But Leave Your Crabs At Home! by Boondawg
Started on: 07-12-2011 10:59 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Doni Hagan on 07-14-2011 01:43 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
If your 5-year-old has a jones for the crab cakes at McDain's Restaurant, which the menu boasts are “The Best Around — Period,” you’d best take him or her there by Friday. Or be prepared to get the food to go.

Beginning Saturday, children 6 and under are no longer welcome at the restaurant in Monroeville, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh. They’ve just become too much of a bother for the other customers.

Owner Mike Vuick built the neighboring golf center 22 years ago, then opened the restaurant nine years ago. Young children have become an increasing issue in that time, he says. But don’t accuse Vuick of hating kids — his problem is mostly with the parents.

“Parents have gradually diminished their cooperation,” he said, adding that the new policy is strictly in response to customer complaints.

“This is a three-part issue. One is the increasing number of small babies that can’t be controlled. They can’t be quiet and really they can’t be expected to.”

The second factor is kindergarten-aged kids who “have shown increasingly poor manners.” And lastly he blames parents, who “act like we’re the ones being offensive” when staff members ask them to calm their children down.

Vuick describes McDain’s as “upscale casual” and isn’t even sure why customers would want to bring their kids.

“This is a very genteel, quiet place. Very adult. We have 68 seats here, and 24 of them are in the bar.”

“If I had children of these ages I would never contemplate taking them to this place,” he said. "We've never even had a children's menu."

He let customers know about the impending policy in an e-mail. The response, he said, has been overwhelmingly positive.

“I’m looking at 419 e-mails in my inbox right now,” he said, saying the subject lines were along the lines of “Thank you” and “Nice job.”

Not everyone, of course, agrees. Pittsburgh TV station WTAE spoke to customer Stephanie Kelley, mother of a 13-month-old, who said she eats at McDain's weekly. Or used to.

The Overhead Bin: Malaysia Airlines bans babies from first class

“I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley said.

Vuick is unswayed. He expects no drop-off in business. And as far as state authorities have told him, his decision is completely legal.

“You know, their child — maybe as it should be — is the center of their universe," he told WTAE. "But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...ness-small_business/

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 07-12-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Hahaha. I read this as "McDonald's" at first, and I was like WOW. Then when it said "upscale casual" I was thinking no way.

This is fine. They can do whatever they want. They'll lose some business, but they'll keep the golfers happy, which are traditionally willing to spend some good dime.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
makes me think of the "fatties" thread, which mentions how much people must go "out to eat". I would expect this expands to when they have kids as well. and that same trait which makes it tough for them to feed themselves at home, makes it tough for them to instill anything resembling manners.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Its his private business, so he can do this and its completely legal.

I can see where he is coming from. I was not a only child, but I was raised learning respect care for others and to share. And if we were out, to be quiet and not disturb others.

Todays "rats" dont listen to their parents and act out and do so loudly.

I see it in restaurants I go to. Its hard to enjoy a dinner with the G/F when someones kid is yelling and throwing food. Let alone the kid wailing loudly while mommy does nothing to quiet the kid...

Its annoying to say the least.

Don't even get me started on children acting up or yelling/kicking seats on an airplane.

Us older people should have places we can go to thats "rat free" to enjoy dinner. (OPINION)

We do have "adult housing" were only adults live at in Houston, so why not adult restaurants?

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 07-12-2011).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:
Its his private business, so he can do this and its completely legal.

I can see where he is coming from. I was not a only child, but I was raised learning respect care for others and to share. And if we were out, to be quiet and not disturb others.

Todays "rats" dont listen to their parents and act out and do so loudly.

I see it in restaurants I go to. Its hard to enjoy a dinner with the G/F when someones kid is yelling and throwing food. Let alone the kid wailing loudly while mommy does nothing to quiet the kid...

Its annoying to say the least.

Us older people should have places we can go to thats "rat free" to enjoy dinner. (OPINION)

We do have "adult housing" were only adults live at in Houston, so why not adult restaurants?

while I agree with most of this - there is a major flaw here:
"Todays "rats" dont listen to their parents and act out and do so loudly."
you dont hear the well behaved - because they are NOT acting out, throwing food, etc.
I agree completely there are "rats" as you call them - but that is a minority of the children.
they just seem so overwhelming because that is all you ever hear. you dont see/hear the "good ones".
but - like all other things - the few idiots ruin it for the others.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

... but that is a minority of the children.
they just seem so overwhelming because that is all you ever hear. you dont see/hear the "good ones".
but - like all other things - the few idiots ruin it for the others.

Thats the truth, its the minority that I notice all to many times.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Hahaha. I read this as "McDonald's" at first, and I was like WOW. Then when it said "upscale casual" I was thinking no way.

This is fine. They can do whatever they want. They'll lose some business, but they'll keep the golfers happy, which are traditionally willing to spend some good dime.

I did too bro. I was like **** YA! I actually read it 3 times. I don't like McDonald's, but I DETEST kids in public. I don't blame the kids though, I blame the parents.

I have a dream! No kids in public. WOOT.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

“You know, their child — maybe as it should be — is the center of their universe," [Vuick] told WTAE. "But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

LOL, this is a good quote. One of the many reasons I quit going to movies in the theater is screaming kids. Those kids are not the center of my universe, for sure, and as much as I love kids, there's a time and a place and not a time or a place.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
i dont blame him, i see the unrulley kids at places all the time... my daughter looked at me last weekend at breakfast (we went to dennys) and asked me why all the kids there were being bad..... even my 2 1/2yr old was being better then 90% of the kids there, altho he did insist on putting his crayon into his pancakes before eating them, but no fits and yelling....

edit: and its sad to see most of the parents just IGNORE the kids rather then do any kind of discaplin or even say anything to them as they get out of their seat and run around to other peoples tables...

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 07-13-2011).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
maybe start a "food fight" rebellion...? when you hear a kid crying - chuck a meatball at them!

those who ignore the ignoring parents are just as guilty
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

The Overhead Bin: Malaysia Airlines bans babies from first class

“I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley said.

Vuick is unswayed. He expects no drop-off in business. And as far as state authorities have told him, his decision is completely legal.

“You know, their child — maybe as it should be — is the center of their universe," he told WTAE. "But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

I only wish more airlines would adopt this policy, particularly on long international flights. ANYONE who's had to sit in front of a crying baby for 15 hours or try to ignore "Little Jeffery" as he runs up and down the aisle would (like me) be willing to pay extra for an "adults only" seating area.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock