Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Bought car, engine fails on the way home.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Bought car, engine fails on the way home. by 86soon3.4
Started on: 07-01-2011 11:26 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: MstangsBware on 07-04-2011 10:15 AM
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
I picked up a 2001 Grand Prix tonight with s 100k on it. On the way home it spins a rod bearing.
Bad thing is I bought it from a friend from work. Her husband drove it in town and always had it serviced by a GM garage. What should I do? Do I call and ask for $ back? Do I ask for $ for a different
engine? Am I screwed?

Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
I would ask for my money back. that would be the fair thing to do, it happened on your drive home! Normally, you could sue over that.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
You have suffered bad fortune. He has enjoyed good fortune. A rod being thrown is typically unpredictsble, UNLESS the oil prssure was low, indicating an ongoing, but probably invisible, problem.
Buying/selling from/to a friend is something I always do my best to avoid, for this very reason. IF there was no stated, or implied guarantee, and you can not prove he KNEW of the fault beforehand, you will have to rely upon his good conscience alone. UNLESS you have a Law about buying a lemon privately. In Spain we now have a Law which covers this very problem. A secondhand car, privately owned and sold , MUST carry a guarantee, or specifically be sold as a non-runner or a restoration project to protect the seller from this very dilemma.( You will usually see this clause in the body of any eBay ad selling a car in Europe)
Good luck, and I hope your friend is a decent and honorable person
Nick
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
Good luck, and I hope your friend is a decent and honorable person
Nick

Only hope he has Nick.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
The first mistake was buying from friend/family/acquaintance. The second mistake was buying a used anything with what I can only assume is the 3.1 engine. If it wasn't going to be a bearing issue it would have been a gasket issue. If if hadn't been a gasket issue the dam wipers would be stuck in the up position. If not that the computer anti-theft would be acting up. If not that.... Honestly, you could have chosen better. Sounds like there was no guarantee, it was sold as-is and unless you can prove they knowingly misled you about the vehicle's condition I wouldn't be making a stink about it. Its a risk anytime you buy a used car. I'd keep my mouth shut for the most part and just get a new engine.

I'd tell them what happened and say you're shopping around for another engine and leave it at that. If they want to offer some money back, the ball is in their court. I wouldn't hint or ask, they are under no obligation. Personally, I'd probably give you a couple/few hundred back, say "sorry about that" and leave it at that.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 07-02-2011).]

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with Rainman on this one.

Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
In order of appearance:

1-suck it up
2-only if you want to hear laughter
3-Yes.

Sorry to be harsh...but buyer beware. If you wanted a warranty, you should have bought new.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
You picked it up tonight, ... and you already have an iron clad diagnosis ?
Check the oil, for contaminates, like saw dust. Check the oil, for viscosity. Very clean oil could be suspect. You might have been scammed.
I also will defer to Rainman's opinion, but ...
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Her husband drove it in town and always had it serviced by a GM garage.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

The first thing I would ask if someone blew up my car, especially with the service records that I keep is "how rough were you driving the car?" Just saying, that may be tough to fight if the person keeps records like I do. In any case, I'm in with Raiman on this, mention it and see what happens.

On the brighter side, those 2001 Grand Prix parts are everywhere and reasonably cheap. I'm sure you didn't need to hear that right now but it's true and they're not that bad to work on if that's the route you decide to take.

Man alive, that's a tough break, I'm sorry for you.

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I'd have pulled over, called my friend from work right then and there and asked 'em to come out and explain what the hell was wrong with the car. Caught on the spot like that, you'd find out what kind of people they are. If you waited a day or even an hour to do it, then it becomes "well, you must have been doing something wrong and are trying to back out of the deal".

Next time, take it for a much longer test-drive before you buy!
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It is usually the time it is going to happen on the way home. It is quite common to happen the universe knew you were a car lover and would fix it to new and give it a good life.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I never buy a car without driving it around and without getting it up to operating temperature for 15 or more minutes. But anything can happen with an old car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rainman:

...Sounds like there was no guarantee, it was sold as-is and unless you can prove they knowingly misled you about the vehicle's condition I wouldn't be making a stink about it. Its a risk anytime you buy a used car. I'd keep my mouth shut for the most part and just get a new engine.

I'd tell them what happened and say you're shopping around for another engine and leave it at that. If they want to offer some money back, the ball is in their court. I wouldn't hint or ask, they are under no obligation. Personally, I'd probably give you a couple/few hundred back, say "sorry about that" and leave it at that.

This. Pretty much. Do you think they set out to scam you?

I always try to give every car I buy a thorough test drive, unless I'm buying it as a fixer-upper. That includes a blast down the expressway or open road.

I'm not going to disparage your choice, because I happen to like the GP. I would have probably held out for a 3800, as they're damned near bulletproof, except for the intake gaskets.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-02-2011).]

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
I did test drive it for 15 miles, it is a 3.8, checked the oil before start up, checked the anti-freeze, heard no noises on first start-up.

I drove it on the highway and in the city. I also let it idle for a while to see if the engine cooling fans would turn on.

It is a lower end issue, when it stalled on the highway I could not re-start untill it cooled some. Then when it started there was a lower end KNOCK. The oil on the dip-stick now was metalic looking.

Guys, I do know what an engine failure sounds like.

Steve
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
You can ask for help on fixing or some money back, but I hate to say it... you bought it. They have no idea if you took it out and raced the engine or ??? When I sell cars I make sure the new owner understands that it is As-Is, as it could die at any moment.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Since it is someone you know, you could tactfully explain what happens, and see if they take some sympathy and offer assistance to replace the engine. You may be able to find a good one in a junkyard somewhere for a decent price. Then would just have to install it (unless you can yourself).

It does really stink that it happened on your drive home! What a joy killer after getting a new car!!

Best of luck!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Caveat emptor
Unless you had a verbal warranty.
Sorry but it happens.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

I would ask for my money back. that would be the fair thing to do, it happened on your drive home! Normally, you could sue over that.

Not here, unless you can prove fraud as this was a private sale, not from a dealer. On a private sale, its 'final'.

+ its a friend.. never a good idea to sue friends ( or buy big stuff from them.. )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I'd have pulled over, called my friend from work right then and there and asked 'em to come out and explain what the hell was wrong with the car. Caught on the spot like that, you'd find out what kind of people they are. If you waited a day or even an hour to do it, then it becomes "well, you must have been doing something wrong and are trying to back out of the deal".

Next time, take it for a much longer test-drive before you buy!

Why should his friend be responsible in the first place? ( I am assuming he didn't know ahead of time ) Things break, it happens.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
I bought and sold a couple of used cars in my time. I always write up a "bill of sale" one for the buyer one for the purchaser. Always state the car is being sold "as-is" and have both parties involved sign both copies. The best thing to do when selling is be HONEST ! When you buy you really don't know what you are getting You always have to asume the worst. Sounds like you might have just got the crappy end of the stick . . . sorry. A 2001 grand prix with a 3800 with 100k on it sounds like a good purchase . Those engine usually are strong.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I had this same thing happen to me.. But I was the seller of a 2002 blazer. It spins a rod bearing the next day after a friend got it. I was riding with him. Stopped at a red light when it happen.
He simply got a new engine. I stuck it in for him no charge. Trans dies 6 weeks later. I knew the trans was going bad when I sold it to him. I told him so. But he wanted anyway.
I work more on the POS more often then I did when I owned it. Sometimes I think I am just to nice.
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
"As Is" dude! Sorry

It's not the seller's fault at all. He can say "Hey I always took care of it. Had all the service records to prove it". Then say, "What you did with it, I have no idea. You could have ragged the hell out of it once you took possession and drove it home."

Sorry!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I assume you got no written warranty. Your outta luck unless your 'friend' has a conscience. Im with Rainman...I never buy or sell a car between friends. I did one time...sold a minivan I drove for years to a gal friend. The transmission went out a week later. I owned it with no problems apparent and drove it all over the state. I had it replaced and paid for it at my cost for her just because.
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
First, as other have said, check the oil and look for anything that might suggest foul play. I hope you don't find anything and you probably won't, but it is best to check.

Then I would let the seller know about it and if they want to do something out of the kindness of their hearts then good. If not, then that is the risk of buying a used car. Pull the oil pan, replace the bearing with a new one and plastigage it to make sure it is still in tolerances. If it is good, then put the oil pan back on and enjoy your car.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 07-02-2011).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Well being it is a 3800 you can pick up another motor cheap and swap it in....Call up the friends and let them know what happen......Then go fromt here......
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
When ever I sell a used item like an xbox system or computer,I allways tell the buyer that I'll even warrenty it for 90 days...but not every one is like me...........good luck.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Have you talked to your friend?
How do you know it spun a rod bearing?
Did you get the service records?

I'd talk to them and see what they say. They may work with you. Above all, don't jump to conclusions until you know exactly what happened and give them a chance to respond.

Guys, I do know what an engine failure sounds like.

Steve

Ok, fair enough. It just seemed fast to have a diagnostic the same night you got the car and it broke down.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-02-2011).]

NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Not here, unless you can prove fraud as this was a private sale, not from a dealer. On a private sale, its 'final'.

+ its a friend.. never a good idea to sue friends ( or buy big stuff from them.. )

I don't recommend he sue, but here in AZ that would not fly. small claims court would have a judge all over that. We have lemon laws that protect buyers from such crap. It sounds suspect to me......Lower end issues, typically speaking, don't just miraculously show up spontaneously showing metallic shaving in the oil. I would have a real hard time believing that the car was fine and until that point and then failed catastrophically. I wonder if they drove it low on oil for a long time before changes.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Unless it was fraud, I watched a case on the TV where the check engine light was painted over and the he won a $3000 settlement
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Have you talked to your friend?
How do you know it spun a rod bearing?
Did you get the service records?

I'd talk to them and see what they say. They may work with you. Above all, don't jump to conclusions until you know exactly what happened and give them a chance to respond.

Ok, fair enough. It just seemed fast to have a diagnostic the same night you got the car and it broke down.

Steve should have explained he is a seasoned mechanic w many engine rebuilds and swaps under his belt. steve suck it up and get a crank and bearings from gibbys for 100 bucks lol!
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Steve should have explained he is a seasoned mechanic w many engine rebuilds and swaps under his belt. steve suck it up and get a crank and bearings from gibbys for 100 bucks lol!

In that case, go with your gut Steve. If you truly feel they pulled something on you, I wouldn't let it stand. If you find anything that shows its blatantly obvious there was some shanikins pulled, their not that great of a friend.
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
I will be installing another engine. I talked with the previous owner and am waiting to
here if they will help out.

Steve

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
Pulled the motor and it has bearing failure.

Steve
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Pulled the motor and it has bearing failure.

Steve

Did it look like there was any coolant in the oil? Build up in the pan? Maybe the car had the LIM leak that they are known for and finally gave in.....
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Did it look like there was any coolant in the oil? Build up in the pan? Maybe the car had the LIM leak that they are known for and finally gave in.....

Your on the right track prob w your guess, I went up to see it today and someone had changed the intake gasket so ya it could have possibly had scorched bearings from the leak.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Your on the right track prob w your guess, I went up to see it today and someone had changed the intake gasket so ya it could have possibly had scorched bearings from the leak.

If the change was recent and they did not change the oil afterwards than this might be where the problem came from. Seen many 3800 fail from not changing oil after LIM gasket repairs..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock