Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  But, if polling areas now need I.D., how will I vote 5 times?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

But, if polling areas now need I.D., how will I vote 5 times? by theBDub
Started on: 07-01-2011 10:34 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: JazzMan on 07-07-2011 07:18 PM
theBDub

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mainjustice.com/...probe-voter-id-laws/

I can't copy paste from the site so you'll have to click it.

I just found this humorous.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
There was a voter ID bill here in NC that just got Vetoed by Gov. Perdue (D).
Democrats said the GOP sponsored bill requiring photo ID to vote was to keep blacks and poor people from voting.
Democrats said there's no need to require an ID to vote because there isn't any voter fraud. (yes, that's their argument)

Of course, you can't be required to spend money to vote. That's equivalent to a Poll Tax, so requiring people to spend money to get a photo ID wouldn't fly. I didn't read the entire bill before it was Vetoed, but it would have to address that to get people who need one a free ID to vote.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwClick Here to Email cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Why should you need an ID to vote ?
You don't even have to have a birth certificate to be the President of the United States of America.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwClick Here to Email cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

33285 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Formula88:

Good gosh, ... 498 ratings, mostly green.
499 now, .
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Well if you want to vote 5 times, you use your 4 fake ID's + your real one.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by cliffw:

Why should you need an ID to vote ?
You don't even have to have a birth certificate to be the President of the United States of America.

Of course until now, no one really had cause to question the validity of a candidate.. Their 'history' ( for better or for worse ) was pretty well known.
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornClick Here to Email heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post

Democrats said the GOP sponsored bill requiring photo ID to vote was to keep blacks and poor people from voting.

Why are there poor people in the US? Don't we have a democrat President and he had a democrat Congress for two years? You can't drive without ID but you can vote? What's wrong with this picture?

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
The only problem I see with this, is that you have to have proof of residency in CO to get an ID, which is definitely a reasonable request, but this means the homeless can't vote.

The other problem is that many homeless don't have their birth certificates and other "paperwork" that proves who they are with them.. so they can't get a photo ID.

However, they should have had one before they were homeless and I don't know why you'd ever throw it away.

But Formula88 is right, the $10 fee combined with some paperwork that all don't have makes this difficult to pass, but I hope they find a way to do it. I'm tired of Micky Mouse voting Dem every year
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockClick Here to Email GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know this didn't happen now.

Canadians have to show id...that just seems like it makes sense to me.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

The only problem I see with this, is that you have to have proof of residency in CO to get an ID, which is definitely a reasonable request, but this means the homeless can't vote.

The other problem is that many homeless don't have their birth certificates and other "paperwork" that proves who they are with them.. so they can't get a photo ID.

However, they should have had one before they were homeless and I don't know why you'd ever throw it away.

But Formula88 is right, the $10 fee combined with some paperwork that all don't have makes this difficult to pass, but I hope they find a way to do it. I'm tired of Micky Mouse voting Dem every year

Not saying they don't have a right to vote as they are citizens, but most homeless wont vote anyway so it will be a 'small' problem that needs to be solved. As far as 'throwing it away', a lot of homeless have *nothing*. When you live in an underpass and have no idea where your next meal is coming from ( or if its coming at all ), keeping track of your birth certificate is pretty low on the list. Plus many are mentally ill or have drug problems ( but not all.. ) so again, its pretty low on the list of things to keep track of.

Here they solved part of the problem by offering *free* ID's to people that cant afford them, and taking the 'roadshow bus' to places like nursing homes for people who cant come to the BMV. ( and they get to vote via absentee mail-in )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Gridlock:

I didn't know this didn't happen now.

Canadians have to show id...that just seems like it makes sense to me.

The money and power that goes along with preventing this rule is pretty strong down here.
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Democrats said there's no need to require an ID to vote because there isn't any voter fraud. (yes, that's their argument)

Of course, you can't be required to spend money to vote. That's equivalent to a Poll Tax, so requiring people to spend money to get a photo ID wouldn't fly. I didn't read the entire bill before it was Vetoed, but it would have to address that to get people who need one a free ID to vote.

How do they determine that there is no voter fraud? We vote by secret ballot. Once the ballot is cast, there is no way to tie it back to the person that made the vote unless they came forward with the stub. How many people who cast an illegal vote are going to come forward with the stubs and admit to felony voter fraud?

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Not saying they don't have a right to vote as they are citizens, but most homeless wont vote anyway so it will be a 'small' problem that needs to be solved. As far as 'throwing it away', a lot of homeless have *nothing*. When you live in an underpass and have no idea where your next meal is coming from ( or if its coming at all ), keeping track of your birth certificate is pretty low on the list. Plus many are mentally ill or have drug problems ( but not all.. ) so again, its pretty low on the list of things to keep track of.

Here they solved part of the problem by offering *free* ID's to people that cant afford them, and taking the 'roadshow bus' to places like nursing homes for people who cant come to the BMV. ( and they get to vote via absentee mail-in )

I meant why they'd throw away an ID, not their birth certificate. To me, keeping an ID is very reasonable because it can fit anywhere. They had a photo ID at ONE POINT. They weren't always homeless.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
The sooner the government chips everyone the better, no more I don’t have an ID, no more I left my drivers license at home, no more I don’t have the credits to pay, no more losing a the wallet, no more stolen credit/debit cards, no more fake ID’s, no more using someone else’s welfare card, no more leaving work early, no more not being where you should be and last but not least no more voter fraud. Even the homeless and poor will be accounted for
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
How do they determine that there is no voter fraud? We vote by secret ballot. Once the ballot is cast, there is no way to tie it back to the person that made the vote unless they came forward with the stub. How many people who cast an illegal vote are going to come forward with the stubs and admit to felony voter fraud?

"Determine?" OH, that's FUNNY! The Democrats said there's no fraud - so clearly there isn't any. That's how the "smart kids" do it.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

I meant why they'd throw away an ID, not their birth certificate. To me, keeping an ID is very reasonable because it can fit anywhere. They had a photo ID at ONE POINT. They weren't always homeless.

Ever thought they could lose their wallet after being homeless for a while?
Ever misplace your wallet and have to go back and find it? Try doing that when you dropped it in a public location and see if you ever find it.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

its reasonable to you and i.. but not to them.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

The sooner the government chips everyone the better, no more I don’t have an ID, no more I left my drivers license at home, no more I don’t have the credits to pay, no more losing a the wallet, no more stolen credit/debit cards, no more fake ID’s, no more using someone else’s welfare card, no more leaving work early, no more not being where you should be and last but not least no more voter fraud. Even the homeless and poor will be accounted for

Once they get real time DNA decoding perfected, there wont be a need for chipping.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Ever thought they could lose their wallet after being homeless for a while?
Ever misplace your wallet and have to go back and find it? Try doing that when you dropped it in a public location and see if you ever find it.

I'm not disagreeing with you...

I said myself that the problem with this would be that it'd be hard for them to get an ID.

And yes, it could definitely be lost.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I'm not disagreeing with you...

I said myself that the problem with this would be that it'd be hard for them to get an ID.

And yes, it could definitely be lost.

Most of the homeless i have dealt with honestly don't care about their ID. they just want a warm dry place to sleep, something to eat and to be left alone. Voting isn't on their agenda, survival ( if you want to call that sort of a life survival ) is.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Years ago, (decades) Texas (and I suppose other states as well) had a poll tax. You had to go to the county accessor's office, present valid ID, and pay a fee called a poll tax in order to register to vote with the county voter registars. Sometime, I think in the 60s, SCOTUS ruled it unconstitutional. After that, regardless of state requirements, it's been fairly easy to register to vote. It should be. But, I have seen the registar accept as little ID as a library card back in the 70s.
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Most of the homeless i have dealt with honestly don't care about their ID. they just want a warm dry place to sleep, something to eat and to be left alone. Voting isn't on their agenda, survival ( if you want to call that sort of a life survival ) is.

Absolutely agreed.
Many don't vote--but, it should still be accessible.
So, free I.D.'s for everyone? Is that communist?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
IDs SHOULD be free no matter what. But they aren't and they cost the issuee a LOT more than the paper or plastic they are written on. They have become little more than a revenue avenue for states and counties.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

IDs SHOULD be free no matter what. But they aren't and they cost the issuee a LOT more than the paper or plastic they are written on. They have become little more than a revenue avenue for states and counties.

Yes, I agree.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

A lot of things in government have become that way. Remember too, it's not just about the plastic they are printed on, but even accounting for the operational overhead that people forget about ( employees at the BMV, filing clerks, computer systems, buildings, etc ) its all been paid for by taxes already.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Probably the easiest way to deal with IDs for the homeless and others who can't afford a plastic ID would be to use a tattoo, an ID number on the forearm would work well. Nothing to lose, one time application cost.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Seriously? That's racist in and of itself... he assumes all blacks are poor and don't have photo-IDs... nice.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Probably the easiest way to deal with IDs for the homeless and others who can't afford a plastic ID would be to use a tattoo, an ID number on the forearm would work well. Nothing to lose, one time application cost.

JA, Mein Furher!. Excellent idea, excellent! Will never fade, always readable. Went over SO well in the '40's. Some people still have theirs.

And yeah, there's NO PLACE else to get a tatoo, so ID theft wouldn't be an issue at all.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Wow, holy **** ... can't believe I missed this one.

Please tell me you are kidding, this has got to be some kind of a joke, right?

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

No, I'm sure he's serious. And they'll ALL begin with "666"....
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

I'm going to say that either this was sarcasm that we (at this point) are not used to from him yet, or maybe it was well-intentioned and he just didn't think about it.

Setting aside the whole NAZI / WW2 thing with the concentration camps... the only "things" that get tattoo IDs are livestock... cows, pigs, stuff like that.

I mean, unless he thinks that everyone should have a tattoo with their ID on it, like in Idiocracy.
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Yeah, but its supposed to be on the right hand.
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Click Here to Email 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
I don't see the issue and think some sort of ID should be required. I think Ohio just passed or is trying to pass the same law.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Did I forget to use the sarcasm color? Ooopsie...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Did I forget to use the sarcasm color? Ooopsie...

Hah... ok.. you were scaring me for a minute!
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Often times it's hard to see something directly; by casting a shadow it's easier to make out it's true shape...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock