Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Aaand this is why some people shouldn't do engine modifications.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Aaand this is why some people shouldn't do engine modifications..... by CopGTP
Started on: 06-27-2011 08:55 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: nitroheadz28 on 06-28-2011 04:26 PM
CopGTP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CopGTPClick Here to visit CopGTP's HomePageSend a Private Message to CopGTPDirect Link to This Post
Really trying to get this to go viral! It's one of those "whhhhat" type threads, like the sand in the intake to port the engine and the water in the crankcase to clean inside of engine.

http://www.grandprixforums....m-install-47330.html

Cliffnotes - guy goes ahead and installs a cam and car won't run, finds that he didn't seat harmonic balancer on correctly and smashes keyway, fixes it and is sure it was throwing his timing off, pushrods look like spaghetti strings.......pulls valve cover, posts picture of upside installed valve keepers...........

Please repost to any / all forums you know!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is the short version, only 2 pages instead 19:

http://www.clubgp.com/newfo...ode=1&key=&language=

The guy actually screwed up two sets of push rods.

------------------
The bread crumbs eventually end somewhere.

CopGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CopGTPClick Here to visit CopGTP's HomePageSend a Private Message to CopGTPDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I posted the long version because it has everything from the vacuum line, to the harmonic balancer that smashed the keyway on the crank...to the pushrods, to the valve springs.

Just a SMH moment I suppose.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CopGTP:
Really trying to get this to go viral!

Why?

Brad
CopGTP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CopGTPClick Here to visit CopGTP's HomePageSend a Private Message to CopGTPDirect Link to This Post
B/C it's a good read, its something you look at and say "whhat?"

Dunno about you, but I enjoy being entertained once in a while by stuff like this.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Because people think it's fun to belittle others for their ignorance...
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
The guy never claimed to be a master engine builder. Poor bastard made a stupid mistake and learned a several hundred dollar lesson.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
That sucks for him. I don't know if it's right to try to spread his mistake all over the web for lulz tho.

It was a stupid mistake, but not "epic thread" worthy by any means. I'm sort of sorry I gave it a "view."
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of this guy.....and yes, it did happen on a 4x4 forum and it has some NSFW language. It was originally 20 pages long and this guy got roasted for this:
http://i580.photobucket.com...eddifwhatthehell.jpg
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
I've seen and read way worse things.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Reminds me of this guy.....and yes, it did happen on a 4x4 forum and it has some NSFW language. It was originally 20 pages long and this guy got roasted for this:
http://i580.photobucket.com...eddifwhatthehell.jpg

Hahah... that's pretty brutal, but I have a feeling that was probably a joke. You notice the differential gears aren't actually installed... is it even possible to install them with them welded like that? I think it was more for fun... I don't think really that anyone is THAT stupid. I mean, if you know enough to actually be able to weld something, they would HAVE to understand that the gears are supposed to rotate.

Or my other answer... he DID weld them up really good! I can't understand why it didn't work... he should have gotten intstant posi-traction from that!
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Yea I could see about anyone making a simple assembly error like that. Doesnt require any extra stupidity or ignorance, just not paying close enough attention when taking it apart. I suppose the wild goose chase of trying to fix it is worse, and nothing like 'well I'll just buy shorter pushrods rather than find the real problem' throws it up there, but do does screwing with the pushrod length on a Fiero slave cyl for that matter.

Nowhere near the same level as sand in the intake.

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
...or spraying NOS into his valve cover...
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Some of us are just ignorant. When I was in the Army as an 18 year old kid in Korea, our motor pool sergeant told me to clean out the company commander's Jeep engine. I thought the best way to clean it was to pour cleaning solvent into the valve cover. I paid $275 for a Jeep engine on a private's monthly pay of $67 a month.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CopGTP:

B/C it's a good read, its something you look at and say "whhat?"

Dunno about you, but I enjoy being entertained once in a while by stuff like this.

Oh I enjoy being entertained, but making something viral because you think it should be viral is sort of just wrong. Things go viral on their own, with their own momentum.

Lets be honest, if a single person could make things go viral I'd be rich right now from my YouTube royalties.

And someone saying "I am trying to make this go viral" just makes many people avoid it.

And, really making this guy out to be an idiot because he didn't understand how a holder was supposed to set on a spring? It's not like he filled his engine with sand, or is some girlfriend trying to get a guy to sell his dream. He tried to do something, and messed up on a step, then worked to figure out why. He already surpassed my knowledge, I wouldn't know the first thing about changing the cam, or even how to get to it. Not all of us that have to work on our babies are mechanics, heck some of us (me) are not even mechanically inclined. I've burned a car to the ground (literally) working on it. I felt like an idiot, but nobody at the time was there to walk me through the correct way to do it. Had it been more modern times I'm sure you would think I was a true idiot because of the thread I would have made on a really simple procedure.

Brad
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

Some of us are just ignorant. When I was in the Army as an 18 year old kid in Korea, our motor pool sergeant told me to clean out the company commander's Jeep engine. I thought the best way to clean it was to pour cleaning solvent into the valve cover. I paid $275 for a Jeep engine on a private's monthly pay of $67 a month.

That's the kind of thing you see in a Three Stooges or Marx Brothers or Abbott and Costello flick. So ridiculous you know a real person would never do it... haha, thanks for the chuckle. We all have to learn sometime...
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I don't see how this guy deserves to be publicly humiliated? So hes a broke student who happened not to be paying enough attention during engine assembly and made a mistake, don't understand how that makes him a dumbass and everyone posts it for the lolz....

Now the guy who welded his diff, or the biker who poured NOS Energy drink into his gas tank, or some of those other complete fools- well thats a different story.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock