Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  changed to a secure network yesterday, neighbors are pissed! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
changed to a secure network yesterday, neighbors are pissed! by weloveour86se
Started on: 06-24-2011 12:42 PM
Replies: 75
Last post by: 86GT3.4DOHC on 07-20-2011 03:36 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
We have been paying for high speed internet for 3 years in our present residence. There have been no major problems with it. Yesterday I changed it and added a security WEP key. Three of our neighbors, at seperate times, came and asked me, "Whats wrong with the internet?"

One even went as far as to cop a severe attitude. She claims that her using our wifi does no harm and she should have access to the internet. She states that shes been getting it free for years so that should be reason enough to continue getting it. She further says that she feels its rude for me to add password protection, this is the same neighbor that flipped a cigarette butt at me and called me an ahole because I caught her grandson stealing stuff from us redhanded. The kid broke into more then 24 summer camps and houses on a smash spree, and I called him out on it and I'm the ahole? Kid spent a year in juvinile detention plus

Another neighbor wants us to give him the new password and says he will help pay for it. Hes 3mos behind on his rent and his landlord is pissed. He says that without our wifi connection his Netflix subscription is useless, He cant stream movies instsantly without it.

Another neigbor claims he needs the password so he can play online games.

WTH is wrong with these people and thier feelings of self entitlement? How about they pay for internet and we steal it from them? When I see any of them I will suggest this idea...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
You did nothing wrong. If they want access to your wi-fi, I would make them split the bill. That simple. That would make it cheap for everyone.. win-win.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 06-24-2011).]

Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Did you know before-hand that they were siphoning your network?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
'bout time

who knows what sorta things have been done online under YOUR name.

how did they know it was your wireless? did you put your name or address on the SSID?
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
I used to be lax about mine as well. When I started getting IP conflicts and getting bumped off my own network.. Shut it all down.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Wow...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
What a complete loser. You should change the name of your SSID to "Stop mooching my internet you lazy jerk!"
That's also why I don't even broadcast my SSID, and I use a MAC filter to restrict what devices can connect even with the password. Sure a real hacker can get past it, but it should be more than enough to block lazy people like your neighbors.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-24-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, and because they were using your access, YOU would be responsible for anything.... like child pron or downloaded music....
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Wow...

My first reaction also.

To knowingly be leaching your internet, and then demand that it is their right to do so?? I am far too paranoid to knowingly allow anyone to access my network, would definitely not recommend allowing anyone to use it now that you've secured it.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
I walked into one neighbors house after the change and he was trying to figure out how to get onto the control panel of our wireless router to change the settings. Says he cant figure out whats wrong with it! No lie! LOL WTH?

Tried the, "you help pay for it and your welcome to it" thing with one neighbor. He gave us $20, 8 months ago...tried asking him to pitch in again and we get the, " Oh yeah thats right, I'll take care of you when I get paid" excuse. Now im chasing someone down??

Enoughs enough!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by Formula88:

What a complete loser. You should change the name of your Router to "Stop mooching my internet you lazy jerk!"

LOL we changed it to "no you cant have any"

PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Hmmm, and because they were using your access, YOU would be responsible for anything.... like child pron or downloaded music....

Thats the reason i changed it to secure, exzactly.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:
LOL we changed it to "no you cant have any"

Nice, changed mine to "Not For You"
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

And, theoretically, they could use something to sniff what YOU'RE doing... (banking, etc...) passwords, your personal data etc...

My days of being "open node" ended awhile ago.

Wish people wouldn't be sh*ts.

Take advantage, and continue to do so, then whine like a baby taken off the teat when you lock it up...

Like people who complain about getting a free computer (or other stuff)

Oh well.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
It may be worth adding MAC address filtering, and maybe switching to a stronger security protocol, such as WPA2, and disallow Wireless access to the router control panel if possible. It sure sounds like they wouldn't have any qualms attempting to gain access to your network.

Edit: Also change the SSID and set it to not broadcast so they'd have to figure that out also.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 06-24-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Prove this. I've heard of people being arrested, or charged and later the charges were dropped, but I can't think of anyone that is currently in prison for sharing internet connection.

Brad
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
How do you know if your wi-fi is secure or not?
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

If you have to enter a PW to access it, then it is at least somewhat secured. If you have Windows 7 and maybe vista, you can click the Wireless icon on your taskbar and it will bring up a list of local wireless networks. If you hover your mouse over the one you are connected to, it will summarize the connection including the Security Type.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

It never really is, but typically is considered "secure" if you have to enter a password to access the internet through it.

Brad
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Prove this. I've heard of people being arrested, or charged and later the charges were dropped, but I can't think of anyone that is currently in prison for sharing internet connection.

Brad

The problem is, for example, the RIAA files suit for file sharing. They tracked an IP address to the ISP - the IP is the one on your router, not the individual IP on the PCs connected to the router. So now you have to go to court and somehow prove you weren't knowingly involved. Even if you win, you're likely in for some major legal expenses.

Not to mention when they seize your computer, if you have any downloaded files or anything else they can nail you with - you're busted for that anyway.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-24-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Brad

Happened in Germany.... and frankly YOU would have to prove that you didn't allow access over your WiFi. If you knew they were using the WiFi, you better have a good lawyer, which means you would have to spend money defending yourself. Not worth it, unless you were running a business that was a LLC.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What unique neighbors you have there. I'm suprised they didn't come over and

What else have they been doing? You'd better check your electrical outlets. They may have tapped into that too.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-24-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Before we got AT&T and a 2WIRE modem/router, my SSID was keepout and my security was WPA2-Personal with AES encryption using a 64 character Hex key.

I would recommend that as it's among the toughest to crack you can get your hands on...

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 06-24-2011).]

Derek_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek_85GTSend a Private Message to Derek_85GTDirect Link to This Post
weloveour86se, this is the kind of human behavior that makes me hate people. Hate. I wouldn't even be nice to these people or give them the opportunity to "buy into" YOUR internet service. **** them, let the scum pay for their own services.

~ Derek
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Happened in Germany.... and frankly YOU would have to prove that you didn't allow access over your WiFi. If you knew they were using the WiFi, you better have a good lawyer, which means you would have to spend money defending yourself. Not worth it, unless you were running a business that was a LLC.

So using CAPS is the proof that "YOU would be responsible for anything.... like child pron or downloaded music.... "

Really, I'm not arguing that there is a one in what 5 million chance that someone will be caught doing something wrong on your internet connection, or that there is a .005% chance that the Police will arrest you for that. BUT having to spend money to defend yourself does not equal spending any time in Prison, and being found guilty. You are basically twisting words around to make it sound like if anyone has an open internet connection, that they will be going to prison, and that's not true.

Brad
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If you ever run across a router with a blown WAN port (happens to us at least once a year due to lightning) set it up and turn on the wireless, but don't connect it to anything. They can connect all they want, but won't be able to do anything. They'll go into a troubleshooting tizzy.
Tell the moochers that you don't know what the problem is. YOU'RE not having any trouble. Of course, you'll need to lock down the control panel, so they won't be able to tell that the WAN port is not connected.
It'll keep them entertained for a while, anyway.

But yeah. Turn off the SSID broadcast on your working router. Maybe change the channel.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-24-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you ever run across a router with a blown WAN port (happens to us at least once a year due to lightning) set it up and turn on the wireless, but don't connect it to anything. They can connect all they want, but won't be able to do anything. They'll go into a troubleshooting tizzy.
Tell the moochers that you don't know what the problem is. YOU'RE not having any trouble. Of course, you'll need to lock down the control panel, so they won't be able to tell that the WAN port is not connected.
It'll keep them entertained for a while, anyway.

But yeah. Turn off the SSID broadcast. Maybe change the channel.

I did that once... I upgraded from a jank Belkin to a top of the line Cisco and I locked down the Cisco and disabled SSID Broadcast, but I left the Belkin up but disconnected for a week. I checked the DHCP user list and there were 6 computers connected to it before I took it offline... LOL
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I'm not saying that weloveour86se is wrong in locking down his internet. It seems like his neighbors were killing his connection, and could care less about him.

In his situation I would have done the same thing.

Brad
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Brad

The last thing you want though is to get arrested and then have the news say "A <insert county> county man was arrested yesterday on suspected charges of child pornography. Here is his picture, and his name is weloveour86se."

So, then obviously you don't show up to work on Monday, and then the next day when they release you because they find out it was your neighbor, you spend the next 10-20 years of your life telling friends, old friends, and new friends that NO, you do not look at child **** . Meanwhile your name comes up instantly on a search for the news article that shows you are a pedophile, but the story that was issued to recant the story has so few clicks, and was never even on the main page, that no one ever finds it.

Not a process I would want to go through... ugh...
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
The last thing you want though is to get arrested and then have the news say "A <insert county> county man was arrested yesterday on suspected charges of child pornography. Here is his picture, and his name is weloveour86se."

So, then obviously you don't show up to work on Monday, and then the next day when they release you because they find out it was your neighbor, you spend the next 10-20 years of your life telling friends, old friends, and new friends that NO, you do not look at child **** . Meanwhile your name comes up instantly on a search for the news article that shows you are a pedophile, but the story that was issued to recant the story has so few clicks, and was never even on the main page, that no one ever finds it.

Not a process I would want to go through... ugh...

That is a more fair assessment of something that is more likely to happen. It's still more likely that you will win the lottery and get hit by lightning, but it's still a chance I guess.

I have protection up, but the network is opened to anyone that can reach it.

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to entitlement nation.

Of course, it's also true, that many people who want their own online lives to be absolutely secure also want to be able to freely download anything they can get their hands on--whether it's protected by statute or not. Go figure..
PFF
System Bot
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
...why is anyone shocked by this? It's all about gimme gimme gimme, and someone else foot the bill. Quell surprise.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
(JOKE INTENT ONLY)

"You stop being selfish and open that port back up... Haven't you heard of Internet Redistribution?"

Its your right to lock down that network. Its yours, your paying for it, and you can do what you want with it, including keeping the neighbors cat off it.
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Another neighbor wants us to give him the new password and says he will help pay for it. Hes 3mos behind on his rent and his landlord is pissed. He says that without our wifi connection his Netflix subscription is useless, He cant stream movies instsantly without it.

Sounds normal. Screw the rent as long as I can watch movies.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

. Yesterday I changed it and added a security WEP key.

They got mad at you for putting a security key on that takes 90-120 seconds to crack? I would have been happy that it probably would be faster now that people are not using it.

OH

Forgot that I use a little bit of hardware that allows for "proxy browsing" of some sort... It puts adverts on every page and you get money for it! Great if you have some really dumb neighbors that would be surfing pages all the time, you would probalby get a a check for 30 or 40 bucks a month.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-24-2011).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

WOW, and these people vote.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I just stopped broadcasting my SSID, when I got my new router I was able to use better security.
I don't broadcast my SSID and I use both MAC and WPA2, I was unintentionally sharing my connection for a couple of days but I never had anyone complain when it went down.
There are several WIFI routers open in my neighborhood.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

So using CAPS is the proof that "YOU would be responsible for anything.... like child pron or downloaded music.... "

Really, I'm not arguing that there is a one in what 5 million chance that someone will be caught doing something wrong on your internet connection, or that there is a .005% chance that the Police will arrest you for that. BUT having to spend money to defend yourself does not equal spending any time in Prison, and being found guilty. You are basically twisting words around to make it sound like if anyone has an open internet connection, that they will be going to prison, and that's not true.

Brad

Try sharing a torrent for a popular movie sometime. I had one up for a couple of days at best only because I didnt even think to remove it after download, and I dont leave my computer on that much either. Had a letter in the mail from the ISP (or was it the RIAA themselves? dont recall) not a week later talking about suing and copywright infringement and crap. That is not tantamount to an actual lawsuit, but these companys have sniffers out that actively poll for these types of things.

And thats just petty little movie sharing, if someone with any inteligence wants to do something illicit, first thing they are going to do is look for an open network to leach off of. Now when the police supeona the ISP for the registrant of that IP address, its going to come back to your name. They're not going to knock on the door and politely ask for an explanation, and even if they did they would never believe you. If they suspect you of that they know an actual criminal would dump everything given any notice. Depending on the severity they are probably going to kick your door down, handcuff you and sieze every piece of electronics you have from computers to VHS tapes.

If your neighbours are henius enough, you'll end up in the newspaper 'charged' with trafficing child pornograpy, get fired and regardless of the outcome of your year or so trial be forever labed that guy with the kiddy pictures in your town.

Best case scenario, the RIAA sends you a string of threatening letters and dont give a crap when you swear to your innocence and could care less that you left your network open and you end up having to get a lawyer to defend against some copyright lawsuit.

BTW, dont even bother with WEP. There is NO point, its the same exact steps to use WPA2, WEP can be cracked by an 8 year old with google and takes about 30 seconds - 5 minutes, I know, Ive done it. WPA2 requires common PSKs and a dictionary type attack and would still take a LONG time. (Unless there are newer vounerabilities I havent researched yet) WEP was insecure when it was implemented, WPA2 is 10 years or so its senior and still soild encryption.

MAC filters are pointless, anyone who can crack WEP can spoof a MAC, and non-broadcasting SSIDs dont do a thing either, since if they're snooping the traffic they already know its there.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
How did all of your neighbors know it was your internet that they were siphoning? Did they triangulate the signal (highly unlikely) or did they have a meeting without you and figured it out through process of elimination?

You could really screw with you. Turn off the security for 10 minutes at a time. Just long enough for them to start streaming, browsing and playing, then cut it off. Repeat as many times as you like until you get tired of laughing like a maniac.

------------------
The bread crumbs eventually end somewhere.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

It may be worth adding MAC address filtering, and maybe switching to a stronger security protocol, such as WPA2, and disallow Wireless access to the router control panel if possible. It sure sounds like they wouldn't have any qualms attempting to gain access to your network.

Edit: Also change the SSID and set it to not broadcast so they'd have to figure that out also.

TY Xanth. How will this affect my NAT type? do you know about this? I do not. I have to consider a PS3 and Xbox360 and they both rely on a moderate NAT type. The PS3 is connected via an either net cable but the 360 connects wirelessly.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock