Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  DMV worker Taking thousands from illegal immigrants in exchange for driver's licenses

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

DMV worker Taking thousands from illegal immigrants in exchange for driver's licenses by madcurl
Started on: 06-23-2011 03:31 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Monkeyman on 06-29-2011 01:11 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, once again greed has taken over. I'm sorry, but somebody needs to go to jail and stay there for several years.

Feds: Immigrants Paid Up To $3K For Licenses

(CNN) -- After being accused of taking thousands from illegal immigrants in exchange for driver's licenses, a Nevada state employee might be forced to pay a hefty price after being nabbed in a multi-agency inquiry.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced Monday the results of their federal bribery investigation centered on Nancy Brown, a 28-year-old Las Vegas native.

An anonymous tip into the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles' compliance division sparked the investigation in September 2010, with the caller alleging that two people had illegally gotten driver's licenses through one of the agency's employees. The resulting joint probe eventually involved members of the State Department and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, which describes itself as "the principal investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security."

According to Homeland Security's news release, illegal immigrants would go to a Las Vegas DMV office and wait in the lobby near Brown, a DMV technician. The federal agency said she'd then call them over to her station and fill out their "fraudulent paperwork" -- even though they didn't provide required documents to prove they were eligible for a driver's license. After taking their pictures and paying their fees, the people walked off with temporary licenses, the release said.

Authorities estimate that Brown processed 187 such illicit driver's licenses, charging between $1,700 and $3,000 for each one.

The complaint against Brown was filed April 29, and she was arrested on Thursday. The next day, she was in court to face a federal program bribery charge. U.S. Magistrate Judge George Foley Jr. released her on a personal recognizance bond, the Homeland Security Department said in its release.

"Trafficking in counterfeit document poses a serious security vulnerability, one that often contributes to a host of crimes -- including identity theft and financial fraud," said Angel Marcial, an ICE assistant special agent, in the statement on Brown's case.

CNN called the federal public defender representing Brown on Monday evening, seeking her client's response to the allegations, but hasn't received a reply.

This is the latest but hardly the only case involving people fraudulently getting driver's licenses. Earlier this spring, police arrested 11 bus drivers around New York area suspected of using phony aliases to get driver's licenses, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced in a news release.

New Mexico has also seen several such investigations.

In February, Gov. Susana Martinez said in a statement that state and federal investigators there arrested five illegal nationals of Indian descent and accused them of charging people $6,000 to illegally obtain a New Mexico driver's license. Investigators claim that the men helped these people get fake documents so they could fulfill requirements to get a license.

And in 2008, another Nevada DMV employee -- Marilyn Millender, then 52 and also from Las Vegas -- was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges that she solicited and took money from illegal immigrants in exchange for driver's licenses and identity cards. After a plea agreement, she was sentenced to three years of probation and forced to pay a $1,000 fine, according to a federal court document.

http://www.ktvu.com/automot...27833133/detail.html

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Send her to Gitmo!
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the DMV is the best source for fake IDs

deine papiere, bitte

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Just a slap on the wrist for the crooks. They really need to be made an example of with some stiff penalties with fines equal to as much as the made from selling the driver's licenses times two.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
$1000 fine and 3yrs probation--possibly unsupervised probation? And the latest DMV worker released on her own personal recognizance bond? Sheesh. What a sweet deal--for the crooks.

Jaywalking + littering fines approach that in some places.

Not much of a deterrent there is it?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-23-2011).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
As usual, lax enforcement of laws, not enough penalty. Why do we have these problems again?
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

... somebody needs to go to jail and stay there for several years.

Okay, but I'm curious what causes you to say that. Is it because those drivers will be a danger to others? Because of the greed? Because the agent was taking advantage of the trespassers?

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Okay, but I'm curious what causes you to say that. Is it because those drivers will be a danger to others? Because of the greed? Because the agent was taking advantage of the trespassers?

Yes.

Also because anyone working for the Government that uses that position to Aid Foreign Nationals in breaking the laws of the United States should be tried for treason.

Brad
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
When I was in 7th grade, the 9th graders would sell elevator tickets to the younger kids. The school didn't have an elevator. My point is, take all the money from illegals you can, in exchange for something worthless.

But I agree it's wrong to give them aid. I wouldn't give 'em the time of day. A citizen's arrest is what I'd give em.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

All the above plus the fact, that aiding them in getting an official (albeit phony) driver's license/ID, makes it so much easier for them to be hired in the place of legitimate US workers. It also opens the gateway to other state, local, and even federal benefits not easily obtainable if they did not have the state issued identification.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Treasonous biatch.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

When I was in 7th grade, the 9th graders would sell elevator tickets to the younger kids. The school didn't have an elevator. My point is, take all the money from illegals you can, in exchange for something worthless.

But I agree it's wrong to give them aid. I wouldn't give 'em the time of day. A citizen's arrest is what I'd give em.

The Drivers license is not worthless. Without it you cannot work, drive, get a car, insure the car, get tags on the car. In some places rent a house, or open a checking account/cash paychecks, send money via Western Union back home.

It's not a made up thing like a fake elevator (you really shouldn't have bought those tickets). That's not a realistic comparison. Were you wrongly in the school? Did you get a ticket to a real elevator if you passed certain tests, and proved you were supposed to be there? Could the elevator be used to make money?

Brad
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

The Drivers license is not worthless. ...It's not a made up thing like a fake elevator ...

Yeah, I know. I was saying I would support someone ripping off a trespasser as long as they DON'T give them something of value in return.

No, I didn't buy the elevator tickets. My older brother warned me about that scam before I could be victimized.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
They're just selling the IDs no one else wants to sell.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
m

Originally posted by Formula88:

Yeah--the ones with the bad hair pics on them.

(that happens a lot when ya use the pic of a cadaver)

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

That deserves an award. You are lucky I wasn't drinking anything.

Brad
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how this truck driver got a license.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...06/27/BA461K37NM.DTL
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
A person that has responsibility for the public's trust should get a much higher punishment than the average Joe the dealer.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

$1000 fine and 3yrs probation--possibly unsupervised probation? And the latest DMV worker released on her own personal recognizance bond? Sheesh. What a sweet deal--for the crooks.

Jaywalking + littering fines approach that in some places.

Not much of a deterrent there is it?

X2.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I’m surprised that no one has suggested privatizing the DMV function. Obviously the driver’s license has more value than commonly realized and private firm could capitalize on that. Maybe and exclusive franchise deal would help struggling States increase revenue while dumping a bunch of pension liability. How much is a driver’s license worth to you?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I would hope that in addition to any jail time, she also loses her state pension.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

I’m surprised that no one has suggested privatizing the DMV function. Obviously the driver’s license has more value than commonly realized and private firm could capitalize on that. Maybe and exclusive franchise deal would help struggling States increase revenue while dumping a bunch of pension liability. How much is a driver’s license worth to you?

A company called, Tinker handles or shares some of the functions of the local DMV in OKC (MidWest City). I've gone there a couple of times and they seem to be very professional.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I would hope that in addition to any jail time, she also loses her state pension.

That's a good idea. It could help balance the budget too. Anyone who is convicted of a crime forfeits their pension or 401k plan in addition to any jail sentence.

I can see a definite trend in stricter enforcement as people near retirement age.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
A friend of my dads was talking to a mexican guy one day and he was telling him how stupid "you americans" are. A lot of the illegals will have 4 or 5 id's on them at any given time. If they get in trouble, whoops Jose Gonzales is now gone, and now they only have 3 id's. They will collect government assistance on each ID, commit crimes on the ID's and ditch them and get another.

Prepare for the demise of America. The plan has been put into effect, and it is being executed flawlessly.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:
Prepare for the demise of America. The plan has been put into effect, and it is being executed flawlessly.

Repeated as this needs to be stated twice.

Prepare for 'La Reconquista' is working on time and as advertised.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Repeated as this needs to be stated twice.

Prepare for 'La Reconquista' is working on time and as advertised.

I blame the pill and Loretta.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I almost felt bad for someone until I saw the word "illegal". If they want to be here legally, I'll give them my full support. Until then, they can rot in the same jail the DMV employee should be in.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock