Started on: 06-21-2011 04:22 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 06-21-2011 10:35 PM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
pop the cover off
find open slot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Horrifyingly cool!

I want one, but people shouldn't have things like that.

(Conflicted much, Zeb?)
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I want that.

The most impressive thing I think, is not so much the technology, but that fact that the brain can interface with it and use it as its own. It somehow recognizes additional storage space, that is awesome.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I wonder, though, it might be like you need to "think" your way over to that memory space.

Like thinking of an icecream cone balanced on a purple-zebra's nose will allow you to remember how to fly a helicopter. or whatever is in that 'space'. Might be VERY 'individual".

Memes would be interesting to spread this way... or virii... "Thought virii"! Aieeee!

We'll 'know' more, but will we be "smarter"?
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
No, the ability to recall facts do not make one "smart".
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Wait till they make it bluetooth and you can only remember a skill when your at work. Lose your job lose your skills.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
My dream to become Mega Mind is now reality! Im waiting for the Terabyte version to come out.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Wait till they make it bluetooth and you can only remember a skill when your at work. Lose your job lose your skills.

That's a disturbing possibility, would open a new avenue for confidentiality agreements in the workplace.
agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroDirect Link to This Post
Just imagine the possibility someone dies in a crime , we can pull there memory and find out who did it. Or they can come Preloaded with encyclopedias of information.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
There is a book in this somewhere
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Ok, what the article title says and what they are actually doing are 2 different things... IIRC, the last study I heard said that the storage limits of the human brain are far from being reached. Using memory chips with information to transfer said information to the brain so you can "learn" something is far, far different from expanding the storage capabilities of the brain. If there's a memory that we have after the device is implanted, what's determining where it's being stored?

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 06-21-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I wonder, though, it might be like you need to "think" your way over to that memory space.

Like thinking of an icecream cone balanced on a purple-zebra's nose will allow you to remember how to fly a helicopter. or whatever is in that 'space'. Might be VERY 'individual".

This is what I'm thinking about. Want to learn to fly a helicopter or speak a different language? Buy the memory chip, and ZAP! Hablar español inmediatamente!

We'll 'know' more, but will we be "smarter"?

We'd have to redefine "smart".

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Hmmmm, I can have a lot of programs on my computer. I can fill up the hard drive.

Until I run "setup" on each one of them however they are just meaningless files on a hard drive.

Brad
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
A lot of the 'what if's of this technology were explored in the anime 'Ghost in the Shell' scary stuff.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Johnny Mnemonic comes to mind. Couriers to deliver classified information.

While not real, they had a similiar idea in the Shadow Run game. It was called Skill Softs. You used a Data Jack to plug in the Skill Soft and your brain could use the information to perform whatever skill was on the Skill Soft.

Intersting really. I wonder if I will ever see it become used before I'm gone.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

A lot of the 'what if's of this technology were explored in the anime 'Ghost in the Shell' scary stuff.

I really love that series.

"Overspecialize and you breed in weakness".

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Having the information and actually being able to act on it are two different things. You can implant a chip in my head to teach me to be a martial arts black belt...but I think I would have second thoughts about the time I tried to do the splits ala Jean Claude Van Damme and wound up with a broken pelvis and my testicles shoved half way up my ass.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock