Started on: 06-16-2011 04:25 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: fierobear on 06-21-2011 07:55 PM
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
Last year, Democrat allies put a proposition on the ballot that would eliminate the 2/3 majority requirement to pass a budget and reduce it to a simple majority. In exchange if the legislature failed to submit a budget on time, then they would not get paid until they submitted a budget.

The proposition passed because Californians were tired of having late budgets and voters were angry with the legislature. It all sounds good, right?

Today the curtain was raised and the Democrat lie was exposed. The Democrat dominated legislature sent a joke of a budget to Jerry Browns desk which he quickly vetoed. So now the requirement of the proposition are met and the legislature will not lose any money. They can work on their real budget without any worry of a deadline. The real purpose of the proposition was to give the Democrats even more power. They no longer even have to talk to the minority party to pass their budget.

I voted against the proposition last year but the union money convinced plenty of voters to vote for it.

------------------
The bread crumbs eventually end somewhere.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
What tha....
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
lol....amazing that no one thought to make it an "approved budget" for them to get paid....

you can see that loophole a mile away! jeeez....
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Last year, Democrat allies put a proposition on the ballot that would eliminate the 2/3 majority requirement to pass a budget and reduce it to a simple majority. In exchange if the legislature failed to submit a budget on time, then they would not get paid until they submitted a budget.

The proposition passed because Californians were tired of having late budgets and voters were angry with the legislature. It all sounds good, right?

Today the curtain was raised and the Democrat lie was exposed. The Democrat dominated legislature sent a joke of a budget to Jerry Browns desk which he quickly vetoed. So now the requirement of the proposition are met and the legislature will not lose any money. They can work on their real budget without any worry of a deadline. The real purpose of the proposition was to give the Democrats even more power. They no longer even have to talk to the minority party to pass their budget.

I voted against the proposition last year but the union money convinced plenty of voters to vote for it.

Have you seen where the the head of the state employee union is pushing the legislators to just vote in the tax hikes, and not let them be voted on by the voters?
He said such matters as tax hikes should not be left up to the voters.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

What tha....

California liberal Democrats.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
...if the legislature failed to submit a budget on time, then they would not get paid until they submitted a budget.

The Democrat dominated legislature sent a joke of a budget...So now the requirement of the proposition are met

Politicians doing what they do best.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Make that Fat Lazy Grasshopper politicians.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Not so quick!

Controller: legislators will not collect their pay

(06-21) 12:47 PDT Sacramento --

The budget passed by the Legislature on June 15 was incomplete and unbalanced and lawmakers will not receive any pay until they approve a balanced spending plan, Controller John Chiang announced today.

The controller's decision has been highly anticipated at the Capitol since Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a budget plan passed by only Democrats on a majority vote.

Chiang found that the budget authorized $89.75 billion in spending, but revenues totaled only $87.9 billion, leaving an imbalance of $1.85 billion.

"My office's careful review of the recently-passed budget found components that were miscalculated, miscounted or unfinished," Chiang said. "The numbers simply did not add up, and the Legislature will forfeit their pay until a balanced budget is sent to the governor."

Lawmaker reaction to the news was immediate.

"I halted a fulfilling private sector career path to enter public service. I now have to explain to my wife and daughter that we won't be able to pay the bills because a politician chose to grandstand at our expense," said Assemblyman Mike Gatto, D-Los Angeles. "California has officially degenerated into a Banana Republic, with one branch of government withholding the pay of another. I wonder if the controller plans on withholding the pay of judges if he disagrees with one of their decisions."

The controller made the determination based on two voter approved initiatives pertaining to the state budget. Prop. 25, passed by 55 percent of voters last November, strips lawmakers of their salary and any reimbursement for travel and living expenses if they do not pass a budget by midnight on June 15, the constitutional deadline.

While a budget was passed by the deadline last week, the question has become whether that budget was actually balanced. Another voter initiative, Prop. 58 passed in 2004, requires that the Legislature adopt a balanced budget. Earlier this month, when Chiang first weighed in on the issue, he said the requirements of both measures had to be fulfilled by the Legislature in order for lawmakers to continue receiving pay.

In his budget veto message, the governor wrote that, "Unfortunately, the budget I have received is not a balanced solution." Brown said that the spending plan contained "legally questionable maneuvers, costly borrowing and unrealistic savings."

State Treasurer Bill Lockyer had also questioned whether the budget was balanced.

Assembly Speaker John Pérez, D-Los Angeles, released a statement about Chiang's determination that said, "While I respect the Controller's efforts to render a decision within the guidelines of our Constitution, I believe he was wrong. I continue to maintain that the Legislature met our constitutional duties in passing the budget last week."

The speaker said the Assembly would take "additional budget action" in the coming days.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...7P.DTL#ixzz1Px8THIvC

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...06/21/BAKI1K0N7P.DTL
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
nothing new here in california. Sucks when your a state government contractor. because when congress doesnt pass a budget then they dont get paid till they do pass it. I am all for no pay to congress till they pass the budget.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Not so quick!

Controller: legislators will not collect their pay

Good. Maybe they'll finally get the message?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
A message ? That IOU's don't pay bills, ?
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Maybe we just need to send them the message on a chip?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock