Started on: 06-16-2011 04:26 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: 87antuzzi on 06-17-2011 04:14 AM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have a Linksys wrt54g running DDWRT over clocked a little bit using a Yagi antenna. It sits in a really hot room and I noticed its performance starting to slip due to heat. So I set out on a quest to put a fan inside the router without voiding its warranty. Yes, the router has been opened up and flashed but its still under warranty. Any who I rummaged through the pile of dead computer I have laying around and used parts from a Macbook and a old HP. The fan was +5v that I was going to run from one of the buses on the router mother board but decided not to load up the board and void warranty. So I destroyed a Iphone power brick and a data cable because it was the correct voltage and mA for what I need. This is a build thread so pics!
My first thought about cooling the router.....

This is the little heat sync. Linksys runs their output at 28% with no adjust-ability. I run mine at 170mW at 92%. This heat sync did not ship with linksys and was added.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
So here is the idea I had in my head. This is just a mock up
As you can see in the previous pictures you can tell the little heat sync was not big enough to efficiently cool the chip. So I cut up a copper pad from a old HP I have laying around and made it so the entire face of the chip was in contact with a cooling surface.
And now its time to get power to the fan. Here is after I cut into the USB cable for my 5 volts. You can see the iphone powerbrick

And now its time to play with hot drippy metal

The entire assembly made and ready for install. Please note, this fan is a directional fan and the output is blowing over the sync

Mounted on the board.

Im going to home depot tomorrow to get a gromet and make it look better. But this will do for tonight. The only outside change.
Video with the cover off.

Cover on

Performance pick up is HUGE. I will get into those details later.

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 06-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im liking this......Just mod it to work. This router will never be used wired soooooo one could un solider the cat 5 ports and put a display in there.....Or hell, even in the front. Just cut a hole out and pop your display in. HMMMMMM
http://www.dealextreme.com/...overheat-alarm-15666

Edit: Re clocked at 150mW at 76%. So in other words im running it at about 3/4 power. Does anyone know the drop off rate of RG-58?

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 06-16-2011).]

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Hm. We have plenty of Yagi's at work.. Tempting.. Nah, my little D-Link does fine on its own right now.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
oh, my routers a 3.2ghz pent 4 SFF compaq, running m0n0wall, with a 2watt wifi card...

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

oh, my routers a 3.2ghz pent 4 SFF compaq, running m0n0wall, with a 2watt wifi card...

Im planning on getting some 1 watt boosters in the future. This is not set up for transmitting as its more geared for receiving. If I had a couple hundred bucks I would go all out at do a few other things to this linksys. However you have peaked my interest on your set up. Tell me more.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
looks like fun!

always enjoy seeing people get WAY more out of equipment than originaly designed for.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
well, its actually 2 wifi adapters....
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-...grated/dp/B003ILWRLI
is one mounted to the side of the house. (used something like this to connect it, as its on the otherside of the wall http://www.amazon.com/Activ.../ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b )

this is mounted to the side of the case for indoor.
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-...etwork/dp/B0035APGP6

using a HP Compaq dc7700 Small Form Factor PC with a 2nd add-in pci 1gb network card to connect to my switch.
im currently running m0n0wall, but thinking bout changing to pfSense or smoothwall....

HI-TECH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Im liking this......Just mod it to work. This router will never be used wired soooooo one could un solider the cat 5 ports and put a display in there.....Or hell, even in the front. Just cut a hole out and pop your display in. HMMMMMM
http://www.dealextreme.com/...overheat-alarm-15666

Edit: Re clocked at 150mW at 76%. So in other words im running it at about 3/4 power. Does anyone know the drop off rate of RG-58?

50ft or so depending on the dialectric before you get any any real loss. . 213 is soo much better.
your setup looks like my old setup, i ran alot of those wrg54's they get hot. i use to, as a quick measure, i would do the penny trick to it along with a larger psu and a fan sucking air on the top with a few vent holes. they ran great but eventually died. they don't like overclocking at all.
whats the db gain on the yagi?

i just got this toy a few weeks ago mounted to the roof with a tripod and rotor..
27dbi, this thing has a tighter pattern than a virgin frog.

[This message has been edited by HI-TECH (edited 06-16-2011).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HI-TECH:

50ft or so depending on the dialectric before you get any any noticeable loss. . 213 is soo much better.
your setup looks like my old setup, i ran alot of those wrg54's they get hot. i use to, as a quick measure, i would do the penny trick to it along with a larger psu and a fan sucking air on the top with a few vent holes. they ran great but eventually died. they don't like overclocking at all.
whats the db gain on the yagi?

i just got this toy a few weeks ago mounted to the roof with a tripod and rotor..

I had the same dish back in cali! I got it with a old breeze access thing. Its a 15dbi Yagi. Im actually thinking about building a cantenna to get the directional features I want. I could give a rats ass about the TX power.......I want to bump the receiving power wayyyyyy up
HI-TECH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I had the same dish back in cali! I got it with a old breeze access thing. Its a 15dbi Yagi. Im actually thinking about building a cantenna to get the directional features I want. I could give a rats ass about the TX power.......I want to bump the receiving power wayyyyyy up

mehh cantennas are nice but you wont get the performance with one as you would a properly built yagi or quad. i use to have a 12db cantenna and my old 10db homebrew yagi just out preformed it in every aspect.. and the yagi only cost me about 5 bucks to make. the cantennas now used to test backtrack when im bored
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im about install a POT to make it variable. The fan is a little loud so slowing it down might be a good idea.
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Just built a little board for a "fan driver". It seems I still got the skills with the SMT stuff . Now im bored and need another project . So, ive found a 20 volt transformer, a RF filter, a clothes hanger, a little piece of wood dowel and some steel rod.....Im missing magnet winding wire and capacitors.....Im gonna make a mini tesla coil. I mean mini, like 4 inches tall. Thats coming later.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock