Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Have you checked your mouse lately? It may be where you least expect it.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Have you checked your mouse lately? It may be where you least expect it. by Synthesis
Started on: 06-15-2011 12:17 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: ryan.hess on 06-22-2011 07:19 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday at work, power went out for the facility. We have approximately 1400 people working here, and when power goes out, it can be a very big deal for several of our production lines.

A few deal with vats of molten aluminum, some have giant ovens for baking ceramic materials to be used in other products, etc...

This was discovered...

Yes, those are flash burn marks inside one of the main power switching stations. The voltages coming through this box are MUCH MUCH higher than your home..

One of the arc marks on a section, with the burn marks all around it..

This is the OUTSIDE of the panel that caught the flash. It scorched through the panel and burned the paint.

The culprit.... You know he didn't feel a thing.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, usually around here we have a substation go out for the town.... a squirrel is the problem... poof! whoops!
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Just a little BBQ sauce away from a party!!

Brad
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Surprised he's still intact...

sheesh

like the old computer 'bug'...
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Had a critter short out one of the 15KV trunk lines down the street here, the explosion was heard inside the building, took power down for a while. Raccoon shorted one of our 440V crane buses, found pieces in surprising places, more later after a few days of hot Texas weather.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yeah, usually around here we have a substation go out for the town.... a squirrel is the problem... poof! whoops!

Squirrels are a huge problem. We call them "pole rats".

Most of the time when you hear a kaboom and the lights go out, it's because a squirrel has taken an unfortunate step from an energized conductor, to the (grounded) top of a transformer. (The kaboom is the transformer fuse blowing.) Just messes up their whole day.

Snakes and birds cause us some trouble too, but nothing like squirrels.
(Just another reason to hate squirrels.)
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Most of the time when you hear a kaboom and the lights go out, it's because a squirrel has taken an unfortunate step from an energized conductor, to the (grounded) top of a transformer. (The kaboom is the transformer fuse blowing.) Just messes up their whole day.

I wondered why the equipment is built in such a manner that a squirrel can take us down. Is it just old design or is there some need for it to be that open?
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I wondered why the equipment is built in such a manner that a squirrel can take us down. Is it just old design or is there some need for it to be that open?

Keep it simple and easy to work on. Im also surprised there is rodent left to take a pic of. 3 phase is not pretty when it messes up somethings day (BOOM).
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Probably a cost/complexity vs liability issue, although I'm not a designer so I don't really know.

Things could probably be made squirrel resistent (NEVER squirrel proof) but at what cost?

Aside from that, "dumb" animals are quite resourceful. An animal that is determined enough will find a way to off himself in a spectacular manner, in spite of our best efforts.
PFF
System Bot
crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
All I want to know is, can this anti-rodent security system be adapted to fit a Fiero?
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

YES!

Haven't seen that in quite some time. Good to know I'm not the only crazy watching goofy crap like that.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
This may explain some things:

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

YES!

Haven't seen that in quite some time. Good to know I'm not the only crazy watching goofy crap like that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock