Started on: 06-13-2011 04:47 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-14-2011 03:50 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Just like the title says what prevents or slows down the dry rot process?

We have trailers that the tires dry rot before the tread is even close to being worn out. So does anyone have a good way to prevent or delay that?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I dunno? Castor Oil? or will that way over soften?
I've used this spray stuff called "Rubber Rejuvenator". great for the rubber rollers on printers. but - again - not sure if that would oversoften.....

I am gonna guess something like a silicone spray. I use that for the rubber seals on my cars to keep them soft, and it doesnt seem to "eat in" to the rubber.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Ultra Violate causes this. Keep the tires covered from direct sunlight.

One rarely wears trailer tires out in my experience, they almost always dry rot first unless kept from direct sunlight.

------------------
Ron

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-13-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Ultra Violate causes this. Keep the tires covered from direct sunlight.

One rarely wears trailer tires out in my experience, they almost always dry rot first unless kept from direct sunlight.

Right, park in a garage all the time and keep road salts and stuff off them.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Once it starts, it's too late. I keep mine covered and out of direct sunlight but I am used to having to replace them from aging before they are worn. A trailer blow-out just isn't worth it. I've had one and prefer to have no more.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
This may sound strange, but tires also need exercise. The stress from use keeps the rubber pliable. When the tires sit for a long time, the rubber stiffens, and becomes prone to cracking.

If you happen to have a car that uses the same size wheels & tires, you can swap them back and forth occasionally, to make sure they all get some use. But if not, then it's probably best to find a source of cheap used tires, and cover them as mentioned above. At least then, you won't be wasting a lot of money.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Driving on them more frequently. Covering them, making sure to get the bottoms off of moist ground too. Not that I am any kind of expert, but we do have a couple trailers, of course we probably use ours more often.

------------------
Fiddling knobs, touching keys, having fun with a full grown man.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I agree with last 2 posts. I never get dry rot on tires because I drive all my cars often. You can go to an RV store or auto paint store and buy some cloth or vinyl covers to protect them. I dont know of any preservative that helps prevent it. I know ArmorAll products CAUSE cracks/dry rot on tires and vinyl. I was part of a group lawsuit that collected from them about 20 years ago. They had to replace all my upholstery, dash and convertible top on my brand new Mustang. I used to believe their commercials and used it a few times a week and it only took like 8 months for everything to crack, split and fall apart. Id also avoid parking the trailers where the tires set on wet ground. Buy some patio stones or something to park the tires on. (not wood)
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I've had 3 trailer tire failures in as many months... the first two were because of rot, the third was an over-inflation issue. One exploded in a spectacular fashion, the second just sort of disintegrated, and the third threw its tread at 70 mph.

Never lost control or damaged anything. Made for a long freakin' day, though.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I've had 3 trailer tire failures in as many months... the first two were because of rot, the third was an over-inflation issue. One exploded in a spectacular fashion, the second just sort of disintegrated, and the third threw its tread at 70 mph.

Never lost control or damaged anything. Made for a long freakin' day, though.

Doesn’t it though. Melanie had a blowout delivering a cow a few towns away, with no spare. Wasn’t dry rot though. The links between the 2 axels had worn so bad when she took a corner one blew. I had to drive all the way there and change it the next day.

Trying to keep that from happening again.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i always keep my tires lubed up, i use meguires shine stuff. i put some on my fiero tires before i parked it 5 years ago and the car has been outside sitting in a field since, and there is no rot yet

i beleive it is silicone based and it works and looks great
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Any rubber will "rot" when expose to UV, Ozone, and many chemical in soil.

Want tire to last? Park on concrete and cover tires to keep sun off.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

i always keep my tires lubed up, i use meguires shine stuff. i put some on my fiero tires before i parked it 5 years ago and the car has been outside sitting in a field since, and there is no rot yet

i beleive it is silicone based and it works and looks great

Sorry, but your fieros been sitting parked in a field for the last 5 years? If I read that right. Why? May I ask. Meguires on a lawn ornament?

Just wondering is all. Maybe you'd be apt to part with that ornament?

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Aging tires can pose hidden — and deadly — danger

Experts warn that tires more than six years old can fail catastrophically

Tires should be replaced after six years whether or not they still look good according to the experts. If they were stored in a hot shed in Phoenix for a couple of years before installation they may not last six years.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Dunno what the answer is either, other than what was posted above, but my dad's old Ford Ranger was the only vehicle we kept when I got rid of all the vehicles here, and we parked it in the barn in late 2009. I looked at it the other day, and both rear tires have completely disentigrated from dry rot and it hasn't seen sunlight since we stopped driving it 3 years ago.

It 'may' help to use some sort of solvent on them, but stay away from mineral oil based stuff. I had some sprayed on my old work truck back in the mid 90s and within 24 hrs, the windshield wipers and most of the rubber trim around the windows crinkled up and turned soft.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
My understanding is that ultra violent works similar to a micro-wave by cooking from the inside out. Don't quote me on that because I won't swear it is true but what I was told. Regardless, damage is most likely already present and working it way out on your dad's truck. Once that rubber starts getting hard or brittle, the tire is done. Kind of like my wife's bisquits.

------------------
Ron

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
ive always been told to wax my tires "itll makem last longer!"
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by blackrams:

My understanding is that ultra violent works similar to a micro-wave by cooking from the inside out. Don't quote me on that because I won't swear it is true but what I was told. Regardless, damage is most likely already present and working it way out on your dad's truck. Once that rubber starts getting hard or brittle, the tire is done. Kind of like my wife's bisquits.

oo,. so... give them tinfoil hats?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I know ArmorAll products CAUSE cracks/dry rot on tires and vinyl. I was part of a group lawsuit that collected from them about 20 years ago. They had to replace all my upholstery, dash and convertible top on my brand new Mustang.)

Is this still true? I know alot of folks that armorall their tires.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They do still sell it obviously, and tires are far more forgiving to the chemicals than vinyl upholstery. Im guessing they have changed the chemicals in it somewhat to keep from being sued again.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock