Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  My "Travel the US" thread...wanna meet me for lunch? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
My "Travel the US" thread...wanna meet me for lunch? by CowsPatoot
Started on: 06-07-2011 12:13 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 06-22-2011 01:17 PM
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Well...quick back story here. I lost my job a couple months ago, and decided to do as much traveling as possible while collecting unenjoyment (oops...I mean unemployment). First, I ran to Louisiana to spend a week with my dad. Then, I flew down to Florida, stole my mother's Harley, and toured South Florida for a week on the bike. Then...the real opportunity presented itself. My best friend happens to be an OTR truck driver, and asked me if I wanted to ride along for a while. So...my mother picked me up on her way back to Michigan, and I met Ray in West Branch....and away we went.

Some basic rules we have to play by...
We can drive for only 11 hours out of a 14 hour work day...then we must sit for a 10 hour reset...so we can travel only about 600 miles per day. Although I have time to get out and see things, I don't have the transportation.
About once per week or so, we will need to do a 34 hour reset. Again, I have plenty of time to get out and see things, but don't have the transportation.

I am interested in meeting up with local Fiero people along the way. Unfortunately, I won't have much warning on where we will be making stops...so if you are anywhere along the known route, feel free to throw out a "if you are stopping in ?????, holler at me".

OK...I will end the opening thread here, and post a reply with a few pics of the progress so far, and the planned routes. I will end each of my posts with the known route and planned stops to make it easier to keep up with me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ShadowHawk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
Damnit! I just missed you!

If you come back down the dirty south PM me, we will hang out.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I never do this.

Seriously, I hate crapping on threads.

But.. you're going to travel the U.S. while collecting unemployment? You are the people that make me wish there wasn't ANY unemployment.

I don't get to travel. Why? Because I have a job. I make my own money. I PAY TAXES so YOU can collect unemployment.

Look for a job. Or, QUIT collecting unemployment and travel the world, I don't care either way. But quit taking my money so you can have a nice holiday.

I'm assuming a lot here, I know. I pray you have SOME kind of retort that makes sense to me.

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 06-07-2011).]

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
First, we headed up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) to visit Ray's dad, and pick up a chain rack for the truck.

The Mackinac Bridge:

Then we headed west along Hwy 2...beautiful ride along the northern shore of Lake Michigan:

And a nice sunset over one of the bays:

Then down the western shore of Lake Michigan....here is Green Bay (the bay, not the city):

I didn't get many pics from there down to Winchester, KY since I have seen that area enough times. From there, we drove back to Cincinnati to pick up the next load. The next delivery is in Grandview, Washington. We headed back up from Cincinnati through Indy, through Chicago, and made it to Mauston, WI for the night.

We were just a day or so late for the Dells festivities.

Across the river to Minnesota:

So far, I have added two states to my list...I had never been to Wisconsin or Minnesota before. In the next couple days, I will be adding ND, ID, MT, and WA.

We are hoping to make Bismarck, ND today...but may have to stop just short of that. From there we will continue across 94 and hopefully make Billings, Montana tomorrow. Then on to Grandview (Yakima), Washington. We don't have a guaranteed load from there yet, but the current expectation will be to pick up there, and head over to Seattle, then most likely to Portland, OR. We will most likely be doing a 34 hour reset in Portland...then we might try to head south, but my sightseeing tour comes second to Ray's making money.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I never do this.

But.. you're going to travel the U.S. while collecting unemployment? You are the people that make me wish there wasn't ANY unemployment.

I don't get to travel. Why? Because I have a job. I make my own money. I PAY TAXES so YOU can collect unemployment.

Look for a job. Or, QUIT collecting unemployment and travel the world, I don't care either way. But quit taking my money so you can have a nice holiday.

I'm assuming a lot here, I know. I pray you have SOME kind of retort that makes sense to me.

whoa, talk about Scrooge McDuck
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
C'mon up to Canada...I'll buy ya a beer and introduce ya to a REAL bunch of nutjobs, otherwise known as the Ontario area Fiero guys .....(Yes, Jay--this means you !! )
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

whoa, talk about Scrooge McDuck

Yeah, he lives in this make-believe world where there is a job for every person who wants to work, and where every job pays enough to live on.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
^I used to live in St. something NEWFOUNDLAND, the capital

also Montreal , both places combined 1 and a half to 2 years living in the 80s.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Yeah, he lives in this make-believe world where there is a job for every person who wants to work, and where every job pays enough to live on.

Oh, ya mean that world the schools sell where getting a pilots licence and an IFR rating means ya get to go to Cathy Pacific and fly a 747 ???....yeah, spent my money on that world. Only thing I fly is a screwdriver.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

I never do this.

He paid into the unemployment fund, it just as you are. I have no issue with it. Unemployment compensation only lasts so long and only pays so much. I see it was money I was forced to set aside involuntarily, I might as well take advantage of it when its available to me. I'd take some R&R while looking for a job too. Might even take a well deserved several week vacation at the beginning of the unemployment cycle. Enjoy it, he was forced to pay into it, might as well benefit from it a bit, even though its double taxation.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 06-07-2011).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
thebdub, it`s called "unemployment insurance"
It`s something you pay while you work, so down the line you can get paid if you lose your job.
Where it fails is when the government decides that they need to extend the benefits past your alotted amount.
I collected unemployment back in the 80`s, but back then you only got what you had put in and then you were SOL.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot employers pay it.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-07-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post

I never do this.

Unemployment insurance is payed by employers, not employees. I am essentially collecting money from my previous employer's insurance policy. When too many people collect too much from one company, their rates go up. It doesn't cost you a dime for me to collect. But regardless, I understand your point...and I AM looking for a job. But...I moved to Wilkesboro for the job that I had knowing that if things went bad, I would be forced to move again to find another job. I can search nationwide for jobs as easily from the netbook while on the road as I can from my own home computer. I refuse to live in misery just because I am unemployed, and am thankful for this opportunity that I didn't have for all the years that I was paying taxes.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Unemployment insurance is payed by employers, not employees. I am essentially collecting money from my previous employer's insurance policy. When too many people collect too much from one company, their rates go up. It doesn't cost you a dime for me to collect. But regardless, I understand your point...and I AM looking for a job. But...I moved to Wilkesboro for the job that I had knowing that if things went bad, I would be forced to move again to find another job. I can search nationwide for jobs as easily from the netbook while on the road as I can from my own home computer. I refuse to live in misery just because I am unemployed, and am thankful for this opportunity that I didn't have for all the years that I was paying taxes.

Thank you for that. I guess I wasn't aware of how it worked! I'm glad you're looking for a job and that you are having fun while doing it.

JazzMan, no I don't lol. You completely missed my point. I'm glad CowsPatoot got it because I really wasn't trying to be an ass.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for that. I guess I wasn't aware of how it worked

A recurring situation with you
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Do Brennan and I live on the same block?

For the record, I am aware of how unemployed benefits work, I am not even trying to get sucked into the argument of how he should spend his money.

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 06-07-2011).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Dang... I live in the UP!

As for unemployment insurance, here in MI, our past Gov. borrowed $4BILLION to cover unemployed workers, as there was not enough money from the businesses.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
I also lost my full time job last month, I'm collecting unemployment and still have my part time job. I don't know if it's the same in other states, but for Wyoming you have to have two job acceptable job searches per week, keep a record of the jobs you've applied for, not refuse any job offers, have to let them know if you travel away from home for other than work if more than 2 days worth.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Unnecessary.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
If you are around these places hit me up
Joplin Mo
Tulsa OK
Fayetville AR
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
If ya get in the Reading or Philadelphia area and want to make a small side trip, shoot me a PM I'll gladly meet up with ya for lunch
DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
Newton Iowa, just off I-80, home of 'The Iowa Speedway'. PM me a day or so ahead?

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke....... OK, we're trying to quit.

PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

^I used to live in St. something NEWFOUNDLAND, the capital

also Montreal , both places combined 1 and a half to 2 years living in the 80s.

St. SOMETHING ??????

LMAO...that would be St. Johns....and the local hootch is called "screetch"...Newfoundlad...eff ME, I should have settled there..Dunno, the Atlantic never got me the way the west did....
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
I would move back if I could. Canada was the first time I seen a Fiero and fell in love with them. Before the age of 7

I remember thinking flip lights were the coolest thing on the planet

St. Johns is what I thought it was almost said St. Thomas
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

I admitted I was wrong. No shame here...

I remember visiting in on the Senate a few times where they talked about extending unemployment benefits, and they were accepting money from the Federal Government to do so. That led me to the assumption is was all taxpayer-based.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Confirmed....we will make Bismarck today (7:30ish local time). Going to be stopping at the WB rest area at the 168 mile marker on I94. Will be there till the wee hours of the morning. Anyone in the area?

This will make Billings, MT the likely stop for tomorrow night, likely around 7ish again there.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Unnecessary.

Not when said persons is stalking and harrassing and following you through every thread like they got a hard on for you.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
It would be out of this world if you were in Midwestern Maine, Farmington but if you are in the area give me a ringy dingy.

Would be happy to meet another one of the misfits from here.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
If you make it down around the northwest Florida (Fort Walton Beach) area let me know. I am board as hell since moving from San Antonio.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Random Minnesota countryside:

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post

CowsPatoot

2792 posts
Member since May 2007
Black 86 SE going eastbound at the 15 mile marker....anyone we know?
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

I never do this.

All tings being equal, he also paid his taxes into the system and as far as I'm concerned its owed to you. Its not anyone's business how he spends *his* money.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you would be traveling through Spokane today or tomorrow? You have a PM...

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-07-2011).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

All tings being equal, he also paid his taxes into the system and as far as I'm concerned its owed to you. Its not anyone's business how he spends *his* money.

Correct. This is America. If the man wants to take a vacation while hes on Unemployment, he can.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Yeah, I know. I didn't think everything through when I wrote that first post.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Let me know if you go through the Pittsburgh area
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
What do you do for a living? I always wanted to be a duster.
You know the guy that dust the sand out of the butt crack of super models that are doing beach shots. Sad I'm stuck in an office all day. Enjoy your time while you can, if you get back to central Florida send me a PM and we can grab some lunch.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Another state. We have to get pics of Froggy for Ray's wife...so you will probably see more of him.

Am I the only one that thinks of wood chippers when I see this town?

Bismarck tonight....Bozeman, MT tomorrow night (not Billings). Plan is currently Spokane on Thursday. Shooting you a PM, Tony.
Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Lol about the wood chipper. What an odd movie that was.

Montana is a beautiful state, possibly my favorite in the union, particularly the Western 1/3, but really, all of it is awesome aside from the wind. Bozeman is a cool place, oddly hippy in a state such as Montana due to the university. We have a vendor based in a Bozeman that we do a fair bit of business with, its always interesting comparing the weather with them during the Winter. Enjoy it while you can, you're living an awesome experience, imo. I've always though being a trucker driving all over the country would be a sweet gig for a bit.

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 06-07-2011).]

Fierfly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

]

Creative shot. good zoom to a mirror I assume.
Tell Ray he has bug guts on his side mirror.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierfly:
Creative shot. good zoom to a mirror I assume.
Tell Ray he has bug guts on his side mirror.

KW T-2000
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock