Started on: 06-04-2011 09:46 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: theogre on 06-05-2011 11:43 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
My computer has started shutting down on it's own. I have had this happen before, and it was the power source. The reason I am asking now is because this time it only happens at night while we are asleep, or while we are gone. It has not, even once, shut down while someone is using it. Before, when the power source went bad, it would cut off in the middle of using it. I have run virus scans and came back with nothing. I'm guessing that I'm getting some type of message that the computer will automatically shut down unless I click cancel or some message similar to that. Since we are always asleep or gone, I can not verify that, and only a guess on my part.

Sincerely,
Baffled in Virginia
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Updates ?

My old XP desktop is set to update at 2am every day, and its not unusual that by morning it has done something to shut itself down.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Check the system event viewer. It should tell you when it's restarting and if there's an error when it restarts.
If it's rebooting at the same time each night, it's probably automatic updates.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Check the system event viewer. It should tell you when it's restarting and if there's an error when it restarts.
If it's rebooting at the same time each night, it's probably automatic updates.

Well by "reboot" do you mean it restarts? If so, then no. It's always off when we get up, never on. It's happening every night, and sometimes during the day. That's why I was thinking some type of update. Where do I find the "system event viewer"

Computer doofus. >>>>>>>> Jim

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Xp? Vista? Win7?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Xp? Vista? Win7?

XP Sorry for the belated reply, but I went to bed, and now headed to work.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 06-05-2011).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

XP Sorry for the belated reply, but I went to bed, and now headed to work.

Yes, it took you 11 minutes to reply, you slacker!

Maybe XP is trying to hibernate and that fails. See if Hibernation is switched on:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type powercfg.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Hibernate tab.
    Note: If the Hibernate tab is not displayed, your computer does not support hibernation.
  3. Click to deselect the Enable hibernation check box, and then click Apply.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

My computer has started shutting down on it's own. I have had this happen before, and it was the power source. The reason I am asking now is because this time it only happens at night while we are asleep, or while we are gone. It has not, even once, shut down while someone is using it. Before, when the power source went bad, it would cut off in the middle of using it. I have run virus scans and came back with nothing. I'm guessing that I'm getting some type of message that the computer will automatically shut down unless I click cancel or some message similar to that. Since we are always asleep or gone, I can not verify that, and only a guess on my part.

Sincerely,
Baffled in Virginia

Does windows report that the computer was not shut down properly? If its just shutting off then windows should be complaining and that would point at hardware.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If its just shutting off then windows should be complaining

I'm pretty sure XP doesn't do that.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I'm pretty sure XP doesn't do that.

During the boot process it should come up to a black screen and apologize for the inconvenience and ask if you want to start in safe mode.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
It may not be the computer at all. Could a family member be turning it off at night while your asleep?

The computer could be getting a signal to restart from a "heat sensor" or something on the motherboard too. (I has an old ASUS board that did that)
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Look under the program schedualed tasks (someone correct me if Im wrong about that).Allso I did once download a dos browser (in case my computer crashed) an added virus,that would turn on the computer at any hour of the day.The antivirus scanner didnt catch it.Try going into the Biose,sorrey I can't remember what setting its under,look there.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

During the boot process it should come up to a black screen and apologize for the inconvenience and ask if you want to start in safe mode.

Ah yes, I now realize which screen you mean (with the countdown timer). I have that screen disabled on all my XP machines. I also know that even when it's enabled it doesn't always present you with that screen after a "bad" shutdown.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Next time you find the computer shut off, take a look at the power LED. If it's slowly blinking, it means the computer is in "sleep mode". Windows, by default, will put the computer in sleep mode after a certain amount of downtime. If you'd rather not have it "go to sleep", you can change that in the Control Panel.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Next time you find the computer shut off, take a look at the power LED. If it's slowly blinking, it means the computer is in "sleep mode". Windows, by default, will put the computer in sleep mode after a certain amount of downtime. If you'd rather not have it "go to sleep", you can change that in the Control Panel.

It is not asleep. As deficient as I am at computers, I do know it is not asleep. It is powered off. (EDIT: I'm reading my reply again and it sounds kinda put off. It's not, I appreciate the thought. I'm just letting you know I am 100% sure it is not asleep)

Originally posted by the Boss:

Yes, it took you 11 minutes to reply, you slacker!

Duh, I assumed you had posted the night before. It's amazing how we live in our own time zone, even though we know people are from other areas of the globe.

I'll get to other replies later when I get a chance. Just got home from work, and I have to head to the hospital to visit my Mother in Law. She's having congestive heart failure, and was admitted last night.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 06-05-2011).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
check the cooling fan on your PSU.. Sometimes they can wear out, and the spindle spins inside the blade, and the blades dont spin quickly, or at all.. Which can cause your PSU to over heat, and it would shut the system down to protect itself. Also there is no reason or real benifit from leaving your computer on all the time, or over night when its not being used.. Unless your downloading stuff or doing something that takes a long time.. Shut your system down at night. Computers need their sleep too.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 06-05-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
This sound software problem.

Check power options in control panel. Check all tabs.

Disable Hibernation. Says disable? enable, apply, disable and another apply.

If hibernation is checked and your tight in free HD space then hibernate can fail.

And Try changing power scheme...
Try changing Screen Savers to.

Check Tuneup type program (aftermarket Disk Defrag etc) and anti virus software. Maybe you has software to do scan etc and shut down when it's finished.

Check Startup in Start/Programs

Once that all check

Can use msconfig (start, run, type in msconfig, hit enter)
Leave all tabs alone but Startup.
You can dis/enable most thing in Startup tab w/o trouble. (Your mouse and keyboard likely have software in that tab.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-05-2011).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya: It is not asleep. As deficient as I am at computers, I do know it is not asleep. It is powered off. (EDIT: I'm reading my reply again and it sounds kinda put off. It's not, I appreciate the thought. I'm just letting you know I am 100% sure it is not asleep)

Actually, I got a chuckle out of that.
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Boot in safe mode and see if it happens. When was the last time you blew the dust out? Wounder if it's over heating or the Mobo went bad.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Sorry--I thought you'd want it off--just a habit I have--turning things off when I'm done.
BTW, your milk is out of date, and get the whole milk next time--that 2% stuff is mostly water.
You're gettin low on laundry detergent too.
I cleaned the lint screen in the dryer, but I'm missing a gray sock. If ya find it--just leave it by your keyboard.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

The reason I am asking now is because this time it only happens at night while we are asleep, or while we are gone. It has not, even once, shut down while someone is using it.

Heat or Mobo problem most likely happen when CPU loaded and/or happen when owner is there to use or not. Most time when he there since CPU load goes up with use.

Could be AC power + Dieing/weak PSU... dead or weak cap in PSU itself can't keep up if AC power take a hiccup. AC can shut off or "Brown out" a few cycles. When PSU has good caps then that isn't a problem.

I have seen is happen before....
When local utility did some switching, two my old PSU would shut off. Usually happen a night. 1 of mine would crash at 11:00 Am because power co was switch on/off some equipment at their end.
Other and more recently PSU was shutting off if AC blink while sleeping... Then died 2 week ago... has a Seasonic PSU now and no AC hiccup can't cause it to shut off since. (Good PSU cost more....)

But check my post above since it's free....

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock