Started on: 06-03-2011 05:34 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: chriswf on 06-06-2011 05:18 AM
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
http://autos.yahoo.com/news...vving-turbo-v-8.html

Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V-8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy two-seater.

GM has approved the use of a very European-style V-8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-generation Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it. Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

While Reuss and other senior executives have declined to discuss plans for the next Corvette publicly, several well-placed sources have given TheDetroitBureau.com a good sense of what’s to come. The small V-8 underscores what one of those insiders says is the desire to “target a very different sort of buyer for the next Corvette. Let’s face it, the current customer is getting old.” But without making significant changes, that source acknowledged, younger sports car fans will continue to be “conquested” by more modern, high-tech imports.

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations. There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette, though TheDetroitBureau.com has not been able to confirm that that particular detail has been given the go.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Nonetheless, sources say that wouldn’t be entirely out of line, as the Corvette has often served as the technological test bed for the maker.

GM adopted the then-radical approach of using a fiberglass body when the original 1953 Corvette was launched. The sports car has introduced plenty of other features over the years, including the MagneRide suspension, which uses a magnetically controlled fluid to continuously vary suspension settings to match road conditions and driving behavior.

When migrating from the fifth-generation Corvette to today’s C6 model, GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911. Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

GM is investing $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the Corvette to prepare for the C7 launch.

The use of the new small-displacement V-8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one source. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

The switch to a smaller, turbocharged V-8 isn’t exclusive to GM, incidentally. Ford made the move with its big F-Series pickup for 2011, offering a downsized EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 — which delivers the same sort of towing power as the F-150′s biggest V-8, while yielding significant fuel economy improvements.

Wonder how much technology we could pull out of the C7 for our little cars?? Personally, I'd love to see a 10k RPM 3.1-3.4L turbocharged V8 mounted in a Fiero in front of a 6 or 7 speed manual gearbox. *IF* they make it a mid-engine beast, I wonder what the possibilities of pulling the whole drivetrain out and dropping it in a Fiero would be...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

*IF* they make it a mid-engine beast, I wonder what the possibilities of pulling the whole drivetrain out and dropping it in a Fiero would be...

Why?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Narrow bore, long stroke? "...like a Ferrari..."?
I think they have that backwards.

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Why?

Same reason you do any other engine swap.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-03-2011).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
The beauty of the Corvette, was that it was the Corvette. It made no imitations of another car, or made any apologies for being what it was...

A two seater people enjoyed driving and many lust after....

After all, they dont make songs about Volvos.

The Corvette is American. Forget about imitating European styles of engines, just make it the best car available.

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I don't see this happening. This would be a step down in power from its current old school tech, and likely a step UP in weight because DOHC + Turbo equals added weight and raised COG. Plus it would be costly as hell. On a side note... 10,000 RPM F1 cars? what is this, 1960?
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Why?

Why not? The engine could possibly be smaller than most of the swaps done and if it's producing 400+ HP stock, think of what could be pulled out of it with some tinkering. Fitting the transmission in may be an issue, with the size it's likely to be, but it's still something I wouldn't rule out.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
The C7 is also going to be smaller, and lighter, than the current car as well. With the smaller engine it will match or exceed the performance of the C6. You will also see Direct Injection in the new powerplant which will improve both power and efficiency. I also understand they are considering a PR engine as a base powerplant for the car as well to keep those buyers hooked on bottom end torque happy.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

I don't see this happening. This would be a step down in power from its current old school tech, and likely a step UP in weight because DOHC + Turbo equals added weight and raised COG. Plus it would be costly as hell. On a side note... 10,000 RPM F1 cars? what is this, 1960?

Agreed
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
i thought the corvette was going to have a 5.5 v8
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Why?

Because the stock Fiero engines are boat anchors.

I personally would love to be able to drop a small, high-revving V8 in my Fiero. But currently, the American auto mfgrs don't offer such things.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

It would be interesting to have a small cammer v8 as an option, but I don't see it as being the base model engine. With as much potential as there is in the LS series engines it would seem to be an awful lot of added expense and complexity to what is basically a personal luxury coupe. But for a ZR1 level hyperformance coupe, a dry dump 32v V8 with some tricky valve timing, direct gas injection, and turbo charging would make a nice competitor to the Lexus LFA for a fraction of the cost.
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
A V8 of three point someting liters? All the exoticar manufacturers are going to 5 and 6 liter engines, with the possible exception of Porsche, who's in the upper 3's.

Its due out in two years and they're still considering switching to a mid-engine layout? Not going to happen.

Al this smacks of the usual "New Corvette!!!!" hoopla. A load of smoke & mirrors, deliberate disinformation, and outright lies. Seriously, the biggest complaints about the Corvette are the interior quality, and general bodywork quality. Fix that and you'll have more customers than you can handle. Not that Corvettes are exactly languishing on dealer's lots now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Bowling Green hasn't suffered massive layoffs lately, have they?

Even the Top Gear guys put aside their usual anti-American stance to enjoy the current V8, particularly in ZR1 form. Moving further up-market will not increase anything, even profit margin. I doubt you'll find many takers for a $250,000 Corvette. That's never been its appeal.

HOWEVER, only we could appreciate the delicious irony of turning the Corvette into what would basically be a Northstar-powered Fiero.
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

HOWEVER, only we could appreciate the delicious irony of turning the Corvette into what would basically be a Northstar-powered Fiero.

Ooh, how bout make that under a different name and keep the Corvette in a more "classic" configuration? Would be the closest thing to a brand new Fiero you could get from GM...

------------------
* 97 Olds Cutlass DD
* 86 Mustang SVO Rear Ended, R.I.P (Sold)

* 86 Fiero GT, Soon to be Northstar

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

Ooh, how bout make that under a different name and keep the Corvette in a more "classic" configuration? Would be the closest thing to a brand new Fiero you could get from GM...

There was something closer. Go google "Opel Speedster" It basically was a brand new Fiero.
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

There was something closer. Go google "Opel Speedster" It basically was a brand new Fiero.

With an Ecotec and an F23 Trans no less, interesting...
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Publicity stunt to sell more of the current cars (the same way Mustang sales went up when the Probe was going to be the new Mustang), and to stir up more interest in the car since sales are way down due to the horrible economy. OR an attempt to make a green sports car to appease the PC police and help with their overall emissions compliance. Win-win for GM, not for the purists, who will be put off by it, the people that WOULD have bought the new car, while the people buying Porsches, will continue to do so, because they simply are not the same market.

I for one welcome our new mid-engined, small-displacement, easily swapped-out... What?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Wow, you search for images of the C7 and there are alot of different concepts and renderings that come up. I must say I kinda like this one. Just it would look better if one rim wasn't so deep and the other so shallow.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-03-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Wow, you search for images of the C7 and there are alot of different concepts and renderings that come up. I must say I kinda like this one. Just it would look better if one rim wasn't so deep and the other so shallow.

Absolutely not. That's not a corvette.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
looks like a ferrari F40 and a vette mix.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Theres the 2011 Pontiac Fiero GT.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Diablo with an F50 hood and Corvette nose? How about "No."
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Diablo with a Vette schnoz....

Also, they're not gonna do a RMR layout for the C7. Maybe the C8.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post

Likes this.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

I like the way the hood is vented, but that's about all I like about it. It screams exotic import, not exotic domestic...
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
No thanks for that concept... They need to go back to the 80-82 late C3 body style, man do I LOVE the curves on that body.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

No thanks for that concept... They need to go back to the 80-82 late C3 body style, man do I LOVE the curves on that body.

110% agreed.

I liked this concept... if they would take out that "futuristic" feel and just kept the car more "natural"
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post

There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette...

God I hope not. I personally think those were the worst looking vettes ever.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
datacop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:
I liked this concept... if they would take out that "futuristic" feel and just kept the car more "natural"

First thing that popped to my mind.. "Holy Batmobile!"

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

haha, MANY MANY people consider them among the best looking CARS ever made.

I for one would love something like this, but with some subtle changes

Unfortunately the front end needs a lot of work

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
Not that I'd buy another GM product built after 2010.. That said, still think they are dead wrong on the euro sound thing.

Ever hear a Lambo or Aston Martin live? They both have deep throaty sounds.. Even Ferrari works to make theirs deeper.. Nobody likes the 10k RPM f1 honda whine on a regular basis.
(If so why didn't the S2000 outsell the Corvette?)

Think we're looking at another "Group think" offering here.. Merican buyers love torque, pin me to my seat, make my gf cry torque.. Sell me a car with 800 hp and 200 lbs of tq and it wont fly, we dont have the autobahn we've got stop lights..
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Because the stock Fiero engines are boat anchors.

I personally would love to be able to drop a small, high-revving V8 in my Fiero. But currently, the American auto mfgrs don't offer such things.

PFF
System Bot
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post

If that was the new vette, I actually might change my mind about them.

Nick
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb: Al this smacks of the usual "New Corvette!!!!" hoopla. A load of smoke & mirrors, deliberate disinformation, and outright lies. Seriously, the biggest complaints about the Corvette are the interior quality, and general bodywork quality. Fix that and you'll have more customers than you can handle. Not that Corvettes are exactly languishing on dealer's lots now.

Yep, GM has been doing this kind of thing since the 1960s. Whenever a new generation of Vette is about to come out, they always threaten to put the engine in the back, and/or drop in a smaller, high-RPM engine (to piss off the Vette purists). Then, of course, the purists say "NO WAY!", and GM gets to keep making the same car.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
Thought that was a Rebody

its a DiabloVette

[This message has been edited by ShadowHawk (edited 06-04-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

Originally posted by datacop:

First thing that popped to my mind.. "Holy Batmobile!"

Yeah no doubt. That one is more curvey then a Playboy magazine. A bit to bulbous for my taste.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Why not? The engine could possibly be smaller than most of the swaps done and if it's producing 400+ HP stock, think of what could be pulled out of it with some tinkering. Fitting the transmission in may be an issue, with the size it's likely to be, but it's still something I wouldn't rule out.

If they made a mid engine, 10k RPM 3.1-3.4L turbocharged V8 vette I would have no desire to have that engine in something else other than a mid engine vette.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

If they made a mid engine, 10k RPM 3.1-3.4L turbocharged V8 vette I would have no desire to have that engine in something else other than a mid engine vette.

Drive it until some arse hits ya and totals it... then swap.

You can get it both ways.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

I agree. Although I think we are in the minority. Never did like the 63 split window. Personally, I think the fad is mostly due to the car's uniqueness and rarity.

Rabid Gibbon bites are also rare but, that doesn't mean I want one.

------------------
Ron

chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

The beauty of the Corvette, was that it was the Corvette. It made no imitations of another car, or made any apologies for being what it was...

A two seater people enjoyed driving and many lust after....

After all, they dont make songs about Volvos.

The Corvette is American. Forget about imitating European styles of engines, just make it the best car available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quAFK_CkXOs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcs87rRKuRA
This one is good lolz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOVF1qwPzI

You stand corrected!

V-O-L-V-O MY VOLVO!
Tank on empty whippin' my momma Volvo!

K troll mode off...
I don't have one, but they make it seem so good :P
Oh yeah, and gotta agree there with the European imitation crap. Say no thank you to frequent engine services to prevent "Euro-Style" oil sludge:

[This message has been edited by chriswf (edited 06-06-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock