Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  What can a complete musical novice do with an iPad 2?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What can a complete musical novice do with an iPad 2? by 8Ball
Started on: 06-02-2011 10:46 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Nurb432 on 06-04-2011 01:31 PM
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
As soon as Garage Band and iMovie hit the App store, I bought them. I had fooled around with them a couple times on Macs and liked playing with them. Well I bought them, mashed all the buttons a few times and promptly forgot about them. For the most part i did not really touch them much again. Showed each off a couple times and that is pretty much it.

Today I was bored and decided to play with Garage Band... Now first of all, as will be painfully obvious, I have no musical talent. I did not inherit the musical ability... Yea sure I can play a Sax... I can play it rather well, or at least I could 15 years ago.. But it was very Technical for me, more math than art. No skill really, just ability. So with that said, I spent an hour playing with both Garage Band and iMovie and came up with this...

I call it, Chilling in an Elevator, Dreamin of the Beach.

Does it suck? Yep. Will it win a Grammy? Nope. But I made this with NO experience or skill in an hour.. Imagine what say... Doni Hagan could do with this thing??!!!

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 06-02-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Cool.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Probably my most favorite reason for wanting an iPad 2.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
These things are insanely easy and fun to use!!
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Probably my most favorite reason for wanting an iPad 2.

But it's an APPLE!

*runs screaming down the iMovie beach pulling his hair out*

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

But it's an APPLE!

I don't see any novices doing this on a Doze box... or a Droid
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

I don't see any novices doing this on a Doze box... or a Droid

That's because we have more important things to do... also, I moved away from fiddling in software to the live production side of things. I'm better at that anyway.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Garageband is neat, and I admit it is powerful software, but come on... You can't mention that you play SAX rather well then claim you have no musical experience or talent. You must at least have some idea of music theory and so on. I understand iDevices are the cats meow, but this is a little... misrepresented.

On a side note, when I was like 7 I was able to get pretty neat tunes with a tape recorder and a $15 walmart keyboard with built in drum tracks.

Just sayin...
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Actually no, I have no experieNce in musical theory. I memorized what keys match what notes on the paper. I am able to count out a beat, but that is honestly it. I truthfullyknow nothing about how to arrange music or what scales do what etc etc etc...

Now my wife, she is a musical genius. But she had nothing to do with this.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Ok well Tommy, My wife agrees with you.
I however still disagree

But the point still stands.. If a talentless hack like myself can churn that out, surely those with an natural aptitude for musical composition can make beautiful art on these things.. A Pocket recording studio for less than $700 not too shabby!!!

I am TRYING to convince my wife to let me record a vocal track of her on it.. but no luck so far... Voice of an angel she has!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-04-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

But it's an APPLE!

But luke.... I am your father...
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave