Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  I'm Used To Sticking It Hot & Deep, But Today I Got It On With A Sizzling Needle!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I'm Used To Sticking It Hot & Deep, But Today I Got It On With A Sizzling Needle! by Boondawg
Started on: 06-02-2011 08:45 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: JazzMan on 06-03-2011 10:31 AM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I'm used to old-school welding with a stick, and just gacking it in hard & deep.
Today at work I needed to do some welding, but all there was was this box with a stinger with a tiny piece of wire sticking out of it.
I hooked up the ground, plugged it in, turned some switches & dials, and touched the stinger to the metal.
Nothing.
I looked at the stinger and seen a trigger on it.
I squeezed it and wire came out.
I touched it to metal again, nothing.
I squeezed the trigger and SHAZAM, i'm welding!

I got the job done, but i'm not quite sure how you coordinate distance from project with how much wire you feed out.....and those dials.
I'll getter' fingered out, i'm sure.

Who da' man?!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I'm used to old-school welding with a stick, and just gacking it in hard & deep.
Today at work I needed to do some welding, but all there was was this box with a stinger with a tiny piece of wire sticking out of it.
I hooked up the ground, plugged it in, turned some switches & dials, and touched the stinger to the metal.
Nothing.
I looked at the stinger and seen a trigger on it.
I squeezed it and wire came out.
I touched it to metal again, nothing.
I squeezed the trigger and SHAZAM, i'm welding!

I got the job done, but i'm not quite sure how you coordinate distance from project with how much wire you feed out.....and those dials.
I'll getter' fingered out, i'm sure.

Who da' man?!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wire Feed Welders. They are great! Wait till you use a TIG.....Just dont grab the wrong end of the stick......It sucks.
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wire Feed Welders. They are great!.

Yeah, by look, I was not impressed, but 1 minute into use, I was a believer!
I just need to read up an the particulars...

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-03-2011 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Stickout is important, that's how much wire there is between the copper tip and the molten blob. You adjust wire speed and voltage to control penetration and weld quality. Generally, thinner stuff requires lower voltage and wire speed. Most times you're welding between, say, 18 and 24 volts, with wire speeds around 150-250. Plenty of charts around showing recommended wire and volt settings for given metal thicknesses. Stickout typically is around 3/8" to 1/2". Are you welding with shield gas? What kind of wire?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock