Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Kentucky pickup truck driver tries to kill motorcyclist for passing (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Kentucky pickup truck driver tries to kill motorcyclist for passing by JazzMan
Started on: 06-01-2011 01:55 PM
Replies: 137
Last post by: theBDub on 12-01-2011 07:01 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Don't know how to imbed, here's the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM

The driver's been arrested, apparently will be charged for several crimes. Gee, didn't something like this just happen? Oh yeah, two weeks ago, "You shall not PASS".

Lesson to the wise, don't ride in Kentucky...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Were they doing the speed limit? He also passed them in a double yellow which is illegal. Not cause to be ran off the road, but all parties involved are dicks in my opinion.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm reading the lesson as "Motorcyclists need to stop pissing people off".

Before you start.
I'm not saying this motorcyclist pissed the driver off.
I'm not saying the truck was in the right.
I'm not saying I want to kill anyone.

BTW, the motorcycle passed on a hill, and a curve with a double yellow line, I don't see how that is legal anywhere in Kentucky.

Once again.
Not saying the truck was in the right.
Not saying that the motorcycle deserved anything.
Not saying I want anyone to die.

Like I said before, these crotch rockets should not be legal to begin with. A portion of the people that generally ride them seem to have little penis syndrome, and just work to piss people off. I think the helmet laws should be relaxed so they can thin the herd easier.

Brad

Edit to add, the motorcycle is also following the truck closer than the law allows for the speed they are going, count a few objects as they pass, he's 2 seconds at most away, clearly tailgating by the legal definition.

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 06-01-2011).]

naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Lesson to the wise, don't ride in Kentucky...

Or just don't ride like a dumbarse.

[EDIT]
I can't see the video on my work computer, so I haven't watched it, but based on the comments it sounds like he was passing illegally. Sure, that doesn't make it right to "try to kill him", but at the same time, it does make it very easy to avoid this situation. Practice patience and wait for a passing zone.

Originally posted by twofatguys:
I think the helmet laws should be relaxed so they can thin the herd easier.

I agree wholeheartedly.
------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 06-01-2011).]

jacknight

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jacknightSend a Private Message to jacknightDirect Link to This Post
I rode this road before, I would have tossed cowtrops over my shoulder
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

Like I said before, these crotch rockets should not be legal to begin with.

Come now, since YOU don't like sports bikes they should be illegal? Should we also ban sports cars? Plenty of Harley riders suck just as bad. I love how some people will ***** and moan about how the government needs to back off, but as soon as its something THEY don't like "CALL THE GUV'MENT! MAKE IT illegal! BAN IT!!!"

Screw that. If I want to buy a "crotch rocket" I sure as **** should be allowed to, and if you don't like it don't ride. Stick with your pickup truck or Camry or Harley Davidson Tractor Co. or whatever floats your boat.

Also, my penis works just fine in all its average glory. I like sport bikes because I enjoy riding them. Maybe you have it backwards? Maybe we crotch rocket riders are ok with small, light weight bikes with tiny little weed wacker engines and not much shiny chrome because we don't need something big and loud and heavy added between our legs.
jacknight

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jacknightSend a Private Message to jacknightDirect Link to This Post
I would have also shot the guy if he came at me with a crow bar,,
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

... don't ride in Kentucky...

It's a mad, mad world out there...

Originally posted by jacknight:

I would have also shot the guy if he came at me with a crow bar,,

Further evidence of the above statement... not the smartest idea, dude.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 06-01-2011).]

jacknight

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jacknightSend a Private Message to jacknightDirect Link to This Post
I have had people try to run me over while on a bicycle, 3 times to be exact, One got his window kicked in and his teeth knocked out.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Come now, since YOU don't like sports bikes they should be illegal? Should we also ban sports cars? Plenty of Harley riders suck just as bad. I love how some people will ***** and moan about how the government needs to back off, but as soon as its something THEY don't like "CALL THE GUV'MENT! MAKE IT illegal! BAN IT!!!"

Screw that. If I want to buy a "crotch rocket" I sure as **** should be allowed to, and if you don't like it don't ride. Stick with your pickup truck or Camry or Harley Davidson Tractor Co. or whatever floats your boat.

Also, my penis works just fine in all its average glory. I like sport bikes because I enjoy riding them. Maybe you have it backwards? Maybe we crotch rocket riders are ok with small, light weight bikes with tiny little weed wacker engines and not much shiny chrome because we don't need something big and loud and heavy added between our legs.

Guilty conscience?

I only said some, not all. You are the one that automatically assumed I was talking about you.

I really could care less what is legal, or illegal, and I would love less Government involvement. BUT if someone uses a motorcycle in an unsafe manner for not only them, but others around them, then there should at the very least be special licensing to ride them, I'm not talking just a motorcycle license, any monkey that can balance can get that. I am talking about training, and some common sense.

If you want to go out and kill yourself I'm all for it, do what makes you happy, but if you want to take others out with you, then I still believe that there should be a law.

Brad
richfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richfieroSend a Private Message to richfieroDirect Link to This Post
If a car is going under the speed limit it is safer to pass on a double yellow than to get ran over by the car coming up behind you going the limit
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richfiero:

If a car is going under the speed limit it is safer to pass on a double yellow than to get ran over by the car coming up behind you going the limit

Safety and legally are two different things.

I think it's safer to hire a hooker than to get a girlfriend, the law on the other hand...

Brad
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
I hope the truck driver got a charge for that

------------------

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Were they doing the speed limit? He also passed them in a double yellow which is illegal. Not cause to be ran off the road, but all parties involved are dicks in my opinion.

One of the updates in the various threads about this says that the cops aren't interested in writing any citations to the motorcyclists.

I've been watching the way comments about this have (d)evolved on the internet the last few days. There's a clear split between motorcyclists and anti-motorcyclists, and it's a polarizing split in that the opinions of each (particularly the anti-motorcyclists) are arrived at immediately and subsequent information is either used to bolster that opinion or simply ignored if it doesn't.

To the folks who can't view the video, in a nutshell here's what happened: Two riders are on a section of two-lane road known for fast riding, and are stuck behind a truck carrying an ATV moving apparently slower than the speed limit. The lead rider initiates a pass in a zone that has solid yellow lines. As the rider comes up besides the truck the driver swerves across the divider and almost runs the rider off the road, missing the rider by inches. The truck then takes off on a chase after the rider, in the process swerving into oncoming traffic multiple times (and almost hitting other motorcyclists head-on in the process). The second rider follows, he's the one with the video camera. After many miles the first rider comes to a stop sign and stops. The truck pulls up behind him while the rider gets off his bike. The driver gets out of his truck with a crowbar as the second rider records from behind. The driver proceeds to yell, scream, curse, etc, while waving the crowbar around.

The uncited comments I'm seeing seem to say that the driver was drunk, had either no or suspended license, that it wasn't his truck. I'm still looking for verified reporting on those comments.

In any case, last time I checked, crossing the solid yellow wasn't a death penalty offense.

Except apparently in Kentucky...

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

I hope the truck driver got a charge for that

Me too, but seeing as the video ended, and never showed the officer actually talking to the guy, I'm betting nothing ever happened. IIRC video evidence has to be considered Hearsey, and all the motorcyclists can do is file assault charges. Most likely the only reason the video is on youtube right now. If charges were pressed then the video would probably be waiting as evidence.

My bet is that nothing much happened, so the motorcyclists put up the video with its "mature" language and all to try their form of street justice. When he stepped out of the truck with the crowbar it would have all been over for me, especially if I was wearing all the body armor that the riders had on.

Brad
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
^^Thats exactly what I thought Brad.

The only way he really would have gotten a charge is if he actually would have hit the rider and caused god knows how many injuries.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

One of the updates in the various threads about this says that the cops aren't interested in writing any citations to the motorcyclists.

I've been watching the way comments about this have (d)evolved on the internet the last few days. There's a clear split between motorcyclists and anti-motorcyclists, and it's a polarizing split in that the opinions of each (particularly the anti-motorcyclists) are arrived at immediately and subsequent information is either used to bolster that opinion or simply ignored if it doesn't.

To the folks who can't view the video, in a nutshell here's what happened: Two riders are on a section of two-lane road known for fast riding, and are stuck behind a truck carrying an ATV moving apparently slower than the speed limit. The lead rider initiates a pass in a zone that has solid yellow lines. As the rider comes up besides the truck the driver swerves across the divider and almost runs the rider off the road, missing the rider by inches. The truck then takes off on a chase after the rider, in the process swerving into oncoming traffic multiple times (and almost hitting other motorcyclists head-on in the process). The second rider follows, he's the one with the video camera. After many miles the first rider comes to a stop sign and stops. The truck pulls up behind him while the rider gets off his bike. The driver gets out of his truck with a crowbar as the second rider records from behind. The driver proceeds to yell, scream, curse, etc, while waving the crowbar around.

The uncited comments I'm seeing seem to say that the driver was drunk, had either no or suspended license, that it wasn't his truck. I'm still looking for verified reporting on those comments.

In any case, last time I checked, crossing the solid yellow wasn't a death penalty offense.

Except apparently in Kentucky...

Not bad except, there is no way to determine the trucks speed. It looks as if the crotch rocket riders are moving pretty fast. I'd say around 70+ MPH, and came upon a truck going the speed limit. (but I am guessing as well)

I must have missed the other motorcycles in the video, I only saw a few other cars including a farm truck, and a Lowes truck.

The personal spin on the end should have been left off, and certainly shows what side you are on.

The motorcyclist was also yelling a bit, there was a lot of immaturity going around that day.

I'm not excusing a thing, but unless I see the court case I am not buying anything, the video cutting off before anything happened was enough to make me think that either nothing happened, or that this was all BS from the start. (I'm doubting it was bs, but stranger things have happened.)

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 06-01-2011).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
All three of them could have crashed and burned and I could care less. I hate arrogant motorcyclists that think they can do whatever they want and I hate dumb rednecks in trucks that put other people's lives in more risk than they already are.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
4:14 bikes started coming from the other side.
4:20 he swerved into oncoming lane on a straight when a bike is coming.
Good thing a semi wasn't coming the other way.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

4:14 bikes started coming from the other side.
4:20 he swerved into oncoming lane on a straight when a bike is coming.
Good thing a semi wasn't coming the other way.

I must have completely missed it. Thanks.

Brad
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Brad

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-01-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
The whole thing gives people on both sides that DO drive/ride properly a bad name.
Triple_El

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Triple_ElSend a Private Message to Triple_ElDirect Link to This Post
Let me preface this by saying that I ride, and I ride a 'crotch rocket' (I prefer the term sport bike, since that's its intended purpose and I think 'crotch rocket' sounds stupid). I am very much 'pro-motorcycle', but I'm also pro-common sense.

I can't tell what speed the riders were doing, but it looked to be quite fast for the most part. And passing on a double yellow isn't legal. In my opinion, law and common sense dictate that they shouldn't have been riding like that on that road (which appeared to be rather residential). I understand the thrill that riding fast can bring, but I don't think it's a good idea to do it on public roads. Leave the racing to a race track. Beyond being illegal, it isn't safe. Roads (at least in Minnesota and any other state I've visited) aren't maintained as well as race tracks. Vehicles can kick gravel from the shoulder into the road. On a turn, hitting washed out gravel makes it hard not to drop your bike.

On the other hand, the truck driver was completely out of line, both when he swerved to hit the passing bike and when he tried to keep up with it, potentially causing a crash with oncoming traffic.

In short, both parties made mistakes. To demonize one and let the other off scott free shows a denial of the facts presented by the video, in my opinion. So what do we learn from this? Motorcyclists, ride defensively. Keep race track antics to the track. Ride within the speed limit and common sense and legality. Always, always, always leave yourself an out should someone threaten your safety. Motorists, contain your road rage. (This applies to cyclists too, of course) Whether it's on a motorcycle or in a car, people do stupid things. Illegal things. Things that make you mad. Focus on keeping yourself safe, and let the law take care of the rest. Sure, some people will get away with things they shouldn't. Some people will get lucky and get away with it a lot. But eventually, they'll probably get what's coming to them in one form or another.

I guess this touches a nerve of mine... as a motorcyclist, I hate seeing other riders giving motorcyclists a bad name. Especially since people like that guy are more likely than ever to do reckless and unsafe things out of a hatred for motorcyclists. That helps create a hostile and unsafe environment in which motorists dislike motorcyclists, who can't enjoy the roads as much because they need to be prepared not just for people being inattentive while driving, but also outright malicious.

These are my thoughts...
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

The whole thing gives people on both sides that DO drive/ride properly a bad name.

+1

While I have nothing against crotch rockets in general.. it's just not my style of riding.. Nor is my style of riding a big 'ole V-Twin with pipes that rattle your back teeth out...

Gimmie my heavy as hell, shaft drive, liquid cooled, fully loaded, bagged out, chromed and trimmed Goldwing and I'm good to go
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

+1

While I have nothing against crotch rockets in general.. it's just not my style of riding.. Nor is my style of riding a big 'ole V-Twin with pipes that rattle your back teeth out...

Gimmie my heavy as hell, shaft drive, liquid cooled, fully loaded, bagged out, chromed and trimmed Goldwing and I'm good to go

If I was going to get one these days I would go with whatever had the best mileage, and if I could get one, I would probably be on something that looks like a Vespa. something quiet, semi comfortable, and useful.

I'd love a Goldwing, but I'd hate to have to pick one of those up lol. The wife won't ride anything other than a trike, so whatever I end up with has to have 3 wheels.

Brad
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Triple_El:

I can't tell what speed the riders were doing, but it looked to be quite fast for the most part. And passing on a double yellow isn't legal. In my opinion, law and common sense dictate that they shouldn't have been riding like that on that road (which appeared to be rather residential). I understand the thrill that riding fast can bring, but I don't think it's a good idea to do it on public roads. Leave the racing to a race track. Beyond being illegal, it isn't safe. Roads (at least in Minnesota and any other state I've visited) aren't maintained as well as race tracks. Vehicles can kick gravel from the shoulder into the road. On a turn, hitting washed out gravel makes it hard not to drop your bike.

On the other hand, the truck driver was completely out of line, both when he swerved to hit the passing bike and when he tried to keep up with it, potentially causing a crash with oncoming traffic.

In short, both parties made mistakes. To demonize one and let the other off scott free shows a denial of the facts presented by the video, in my opinion. So what do we learn from this? Motorcyclists, ride defensively. Keep race track antics to the track. Ride within the speed limit and common sense and legality. Always, always, always leave yourself an out should someone threaten your safety. Motorists, contain your road rage. (This applies to cyclists too, of course) Whether it's on a motorcycle or in a car, people do stupid things. Illegal things. Things that make you mad. Focus on keeping yourself safe, and let the law take care of the rest. Sure, some people will get away with things they shouldn't. Some people will get lucky and get away with it a lot. But eventually, they'll probably get what's coming to them in one form or another.

I guess this touches a nerve of mine... as a motorcyclist, I hate seeing other riders giving motorcyclists a bad name. Especially since people like that guy are more likely than ever to do reckless and unsafe things out of a hatred for motorcyclists. That helps create a hostile and unsafe environment in which motorists dislike motorcyclists, who can't enjoy the roads as much because they need to be prepared not just for people being inattentive while driving, but also outright malicious.

These are my thoughts...

You are correct in everything you said with the exception of it not being illegal to pass on a double yellow line. I thought that double yellow was no passing in all states but maybe not. I know it indicates no passing in Kentucky. As far as Kentucky being safer or more dangerous for motorcyclists, IMO, it's no worse than most other states and no better than the same states. I've ridden in 40 of the 50 states. There are dumbasses everywhere as it pertains to rules of the road. I particularly don't enjoy riding in some states that have larger populations, seems like bikers get a whole lot less respect and room there. Some bikers ride like they don't care if they see tomorrow, some cagers are more than willing to accomodate them. I ride and I try to ride defensively but, for those that feel KY is a dangerous place to ride, so be it, stay out of KY. We'll all be better off. My feelings won't be hurt if you don't come visit.

------------------
Ron

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
If you have a solid yellow line on your side of the road you may not pass.

The cycle was in the wrong and should know better but the nut case in the truck should have his license taken away. There is no excuse for chasing down the cyclist and for weaving all over the road like that.
It should be handled as a case of attempted murder as thats exactly what he was doing.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If you have a solid yellow line on your side of the road you may not pass.

The cycle was in the wrong and should know better but the nut case in the truck should have his license taken away. There is no excuse for chasing down the cyclist and for weaving all over the road like that.
It should be handled as a case of attempted murder as thats exactly what he was doing.

Yep, double yellow indicates no passing from either direction. No argument with the rest of your post either.

------------------
Ron

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

These are my thoughts...

Very well put. I agree wholeheartedly.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I stopped riding. I loved street bikes, probably the most fun I have ever had in my entire life is riding street bike. However I gave up my passion because of everyone else on the road. I have passed someone before had them do this same exact thing. Not as severe, just a little swerve and I kept my cool and my line. Had I overreacted I would be dead. I also had people on cell phones almost kill me, and moms in SUV backing out of driveways not looking almost kill me. Bottom line non-riders dont respect riders most the time.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Brad

Was this about the bike that passed the truck and the one behind recording or the others traveling in the opposite direction?
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

These are my thoughts...

Exactly.
Triple_El

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Triple_ElSend a Private Message to Triple_ElDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

You are correct in everything you said with the exception of it not being illegal to pass on a double yellow line.

Reread what I posted... I said it isn't legal to pass in a double yellow, not it isn't illegal. I think you expected a double negative that wasn't there.

And the fact of the matter is, there are no 'safe' places to ride. The motorcyclist who thinks there is a place you can ride and let your guard down is asking to get in an accident. When I ride, I act like I'm invisible to drivers in the sense that I expect them to pull out in front of me, not give me right of way, change lanes into me, etc. So I try to always be ready to brake and/or swerve, change positions (or lanes), and leave myself a way out in case a situation occurs. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible while engaging in an unsafe activity. I ride because despite all that, I love riding.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Reread what I posted... I said it isn't legal to pass in a double yellow, not it isn't illegal. I think you expected a double negative that wasn't there.

And the fact of the matter is, there are no 'safe' places to ride. The motorcyclist who thinks there is a place you can ride and let your guard down is asking to get in an accident. When I ride, I act like I'm invisible to drivers in the sense that I expect them to pull out in front of me, not give me right of way, change lanes into me, etc. So I try to always be ready to brake and/or swerve, change positions (or lanes), and leave myself a way out in case a situation occurs. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible while engaging in an unsafe activity. I ride because despite all that, I love riding.

I apologize, you are correct, I mis-read your post. Sorry about that.

For a true biker, it's a life style. I love it also.

------------------
Ron

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
What bothers me is that so many seem to want to imply some sort of equivalency between what the rider did and what the driver did, and that somehow what the rider did was some sort of justification, even in the smallest way possible, for what the driver did. Sort of like saying the woman deserved what happened because she was dressed the way she was where she was, that she "asked for it", that the rapist's actions were somehow equivalent and justified.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

I cannot rationally find any equivalency between a traffic infraction and attempted murder/felony assault. No matter how bad the traffic infraction it cannot justify killing someone, and the driver's intent was just that, to kill. I also cannot rationally find any justification for the driver to do what he did. That driver has free will, he could have chosen not to attempt to murder that rider, just as a man can choose not to rape a woman despite her "provocation" in the form of dress and actions. He chose to attempt homicide, he chose to drive in a completely reckless manner that endangered the lives of many others on that road that day.

He CHOSE.

There is no equivalency.

There is no justification.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

What bothers me is that so many seem to want to imply some sort of equivalency between what the rider did and what the driver did, and that somehow what the rider did was some sort of justification, even in the smallest way possible, for what the driver did. Sort of like saying the woman deserved what happened because she was dressed the way she was where she was, that she "asked for it", that the rapist's actions were somehow equivalent and justified.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

I cannot rationally find any equivalency between a traffic infraction and attempted murder/felony assault. No matter how bad the traffic infraction it cannot justify killing someone, and the driver's intent was just that, to kill. I also cannot rationally find any justification for the driver to do what he did. That driver has free will, he could have chosen not to attempt to murder that rider, just as a man can choose not to rape a woman despite her "provocation" in the form of dress and actions. He chose to attempt homicide, he chose to drive in a completely reckless manner that endangered the lives of many others on that road that day.

He CHOSE.

There is no equivalency.

There is no justification.

And the motorcyclist didn't chose to do something reckless and illegal?

What bothers me is that people are all pissed off at the driver of the truck and nobody's suggesting that the motorcyclist is a dumbass and also deserves to be ticketed for driving recklessly.

Both parties chose, and made poor choices, and we shouldn't be defending either one of these idiots.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the endless jealousy & envy creating hatred towards the "bikers"

they are "getting away" with oooohhhhh sssssoooo much. they must be stopped! oh noz!!!!1!!!!

again - just another person pissed caused they aint "gettin some", and think the biker is. really what just about everything always boils down to. those "gettin some", those who appear to be "gettin some", and those who really do "get some". if ya look at the other thread mentioned - you can see the same thing. the driver doing aggreavted assault was sexually frustrated weenie. everyone he knows is "getting some" - but him. and, judging by the pics above - I could guess the same for this driver as well. and, it is amazing how this same theme applies in many other threads, usually much less obvious, and always unmentioned.....
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

Both parties chose, and made poor choices, and we shouldn't be defending either one of these idiots.

Yep, two idiots can really make a mess.

------------------
Ron

datacop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

What bothers me is that people are all pissed off at the driver of the truck and nobody's suggesting that the motorcyclist is a dumbass and also deserves to be ticketed for driving recklessly.

I think you're missing the point.. I *HIGHLY* doubt that anyone here does not think that the rider is a dumbass for passing on a curve with a double yellow line.. Yea.. he deserves a ticket for that as well.. If I was an officer of the law, I would surly issue him a citation for that traffic infraction.

Let's balance the scale of things shall we...

on one side, we've got a dumbass rider on an incredibly nimble and quick 500lb sport bike, who passed a vehicle in a curve on a double yellow line and speeding.. a misdemeanor likely to garner at least half a point, perhaps a whole point on his license.

on the other side we've got a driver in a 3/4 ton high center of gravity vehicle carrying a 600+ lb payload, committing the following infractions that I was able to see: Crossing a double yellow line, excessive speed, reckless endangerment, failure to yield and the felony crime of attempted murder.

Yes, the rider was a dumbass.. but he wasn't trying to MURDER the driver of the truck...
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Everything you said implies equivalency and justification.

BTW, several people in this thread have criticized the rider's actions, even using the world "dumbass".
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock