Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  If you were alive in the 1950's please tell me what it was like! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
If you were alive in the 1950's please tell me what it was like! by DeLorean00
Started on: 05-29-2011 09:39 PM
Replies: 121
Last post by: Rick 88 on 06-03-2011 04:55 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Born in '59.
I would have to say, as no one has, is more homes had two parent families. Resulting in better values instilled in children and the family unit as a whole was stronger.
Also, migration to the suburbs was not a phenomina.
IP: Logged
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Very true.
Being a white male was everything.
Hell, it was the only thing.

Whatever white is.....

"Free, white and twenty-one" is how it was said.

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
really depends on where more then when for migration to the suburbs
aka white flight from older citys

we lived in NW miami 53-57
and block busting aka selling to blacks was a creeping threat to some
and one of the main reasons we moved to coral gables in 57
now in detroit the blacks were upland away from the lake front when we lived
but in the same small elementary school district

btw that NW area went totally black by the early 60's in miami
and suburban sprawl went nuts there tooo
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I saw no evidence of wife beating ,later did not hear about sex abuse ,,I saw fathers joking & fooling around with teen girlsI hung with the upper & lower echelon of society
I almost became a cop & I did see this in the black community
after a knife fight,listen Mr. poleese ofcer "'I was only funning""it was a different world ,,you had the black church people & the group"{'oh lord I wish I was white ,,except on friday/saturday nite""" the black streets were alive friday nite
I only saw this late in the fities, there was nothing but trouble for a white boy in the black section

No way were women oppressed,, they were catered to respected ,a boy or man who slandered a woman would find fist in his face
Girls were not working in construction, mechanical, repair, they had easier jobs & wages were similar
I watch the womens movement destroy marriages & life,s divorce became easier it was a mess
Im sure some women feared thier husbands
the interaction of people was 100 % better, fewer liars
I remember when I got a job paying $2.00 an hour WOW,I was craping in very tall cotton
Life was not perfect,,people conformed more to society
I saw some of the beat generation,WHAT SCUMBAG LOOSERS,THE FORERUNNERS OF THE 60,sPROTESTERS ,, the Dharma Bums were just low life bums
EVEN THE JAMES DEAN TYPE DROP OUTS were not much different
had a hard time talking my MOM into buying me jeans ,about 1955,but she thought only the poorest uneducated wore denim jeans
2 piece girls bathing suits were racey
you got a girl pregnant you married her ,guys even married pregnant sluts,, I wish i had !! this was more prevalent in the late 50,s & 60,s
My brother was sort of shy,he Married a pregnant slut,,he is still Married, she dominates & bangs him silly,, strokes him right in front of me,a sexy talker
In the 60,s the girls gave it up a LOT easier,, in the late 50,s & 60,s girls from the north were more liable to crawl in the back seat.it was a subject of conversation..we had a major increase in people moving from the North, which brought more crime & low behavior transformed Orlando & today Orlando is as Unsafe as many northern cities a lot of angry folks
they were not happy where they came from & many are still unhappy
Im telling you what i saw,, TODAY people would not let you in there homes like they did in the 50,s,, trust has left the building

Orlando was different form Miami & Jacksonville ,both had major cess pool areas,they were more like northern cities

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-31-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

I saw no evidence of wife beating ,later did not hear about sex abuse ,,I saw fathers joking & fooling around with teen girlsI hung with the upper & lower echelon of society
I almost became a cop & I did see this in the black community
after a knife fight,listen Mr. poleese ofcer "'I was only funning""it was a different world ,,you had the black church people & the group"{'oh lord I wish I was white ,,except on friday/saturday nite""" the black streets were alive friday nite
I only saw this late in the fities, there was nothing but trouble for a white boy in the black section

No way were women oppressed,, they were catered to respected ,a boy or man who slandered a woman would find fist in his face
Girls were not working in construction, mechanical, repair, they had easier jobs & wages were similar
I watch the womens movement dsetroy marriages & life,s divorce became easier it was a mess
Im sure some women feared thier husbands
the interaction of people was 100 % better, fewer liars
I remember when I got a job paying $2.00 an hour WOW,I was craping in very tall cotton
Life was not perfect,,people conformed more to society
I saw some of the beat generation,WHAT SCUMBAG LOOSERS,THE FORERUNNERS OF THE 60,sPROTESTERS ,, the Dharma Bums were just low life bums
EVEN THE JAMES DEAN TYPE DROP OUTS were not much different
had a hard time talking my MOM into buying me jeans ,about 55,but she thought only the poorest uneducated wore denim jeans
2 piece girls bathing suits were racey
you got a girl pregnant you married her ,guys even married pregnant sluts,, I wish i had !! this was more prevalent in the late 50,s & 60,s
My brother was sort of shy,he Married a pregnant slut,,he is still Married, she dominates & bangs him silly,, strokes him right in front of me,a sexy talker
In the 60,s the girls gave it up a LOT easier,, in the late 50,s & 60,s girls from the north were more liable crawl in the back seat.it was a subject of conversation..we had a major increase in people moving from the North, which brought more crime & low behavior transformed Orlando & today Orlando is as Unsafe as many northern cities a lot of angry folks
they were not happy where they cameform & many are still unhappy
Im telling you what i saw,, TODAY people would not let you in there homes like they did in the 50,s,, trust has left the building

Uhlanstan... if you're still alive when I'm old enough to live in The Villages, I want to be your neighbor...

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I was born in 57 and grew up in the country just outside the poor side of Tulsa. It's where the story of The Outsiders takes place. And although the characters were fiction, it was based on real life. The author says it wasn't, but we who lived it know better.

Over a year ago I started a facebook group for people who were in North Tulsa in the 50's, 60's and 70's - do a facebook search, I'm at work and can't give you a link - and the group has over 1,000 members now. I just mention it because it might be a good place to hear how things really were back then. It's open, you don't have to join to read it.

I have a lot in common with Raydar, but I was influenced a lot by my older brother and his friends. So I can only add a few things to what he said.

Besides cars, all other technology was different... like kitchen appliances - the refrigerators had a latch, not a magnetic seal, so if you stuffed someone in it, they weren't getting out. For most of my childhood we dried our clothes on a line outside. We didn't have an air conditioner until I was about 12 or 13. We had a "water cooler" which hung on the window like an air conditioner, only it was bigger and blew air across water into your house. After mowing the lawn, I stood in front of that for about a half hour.

Our phone was on a party line - before making a call, you had to make sure there was a dial tone, and not some of your neighbors already having a conversation. But you could listen to them without being caught if they were saying anything interesting. The phones all had that rotary dial, and man that was such a pain, especially the high numbers, because you had to turn the dial around all the way for them, and then you had to wait for it to come back around all the way back. But then, the phone belonged to the phone company so if anything went wrong you just had them come fix it.

Where I lived, people dressed up to go out in public. Anybody wearing a white t-shirt to the store, movie, restaurant, or a baseball game or whatever, they were bums & "hoodlums".

Things were a lot cheaper then, but salaries were less too. My parents grew up in the Depression, so they knew how to be frugal. We had a large garden and grew lots of our own food.

Moms stayed at home. My mom worked part time in a school cafeteria, so she was home when us kids were home.
People often made their own clothes, or at least fixed theirs when they got ripped or whatever.
Parents made their kids behave in public. (These days, I can never go to a restaurant without hearing someone's screaming kids)
Yes, I walked to school over a mile each way in the snow.

My brother tells people that we were so poor, anything we played with as kids were toys that we made ourselves. That wasn't entirely true, but what occupied most of our time was making our own fishing lures. Jim Shoulders, the five-time World Champion Cowboy, owned the land across the road from us, and it had a decent fishing pond. We had permission to fish there, and that's where I spent a heck of a lot of my childhood, when I wasn't riding my bike for miles & miles.

My dad was a firefighter. He was born in 21. He didn't see action in WWII because he was on supply ships between San Diego & Hawaii, but he absolutely hated the Navy. When I was a child, he was a chapter leader in the John Birch Society, so I am very familiar with the anti-communist political sentiment posted above. One of my uncles was a designer on the Saturn V rocket. Another uncle was an electonics genius, and worked on all the latest secret defense stuff.

That's just the stuff I thought of in my free time here at work.
And yeah, I'm a white male.
I wouldn't trade my lifetime to live in a different time for anything.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
I would have to say, as no one has, is more homes had two parent families. Resulting in better values instilled in children and the family unit as a whole was stronger.
Also, migration to the suburbs was not a phenomina.

The "two parent" thing slipped my mind, as my mom died when I was 15. But yeah, divorce was only spoken of in hushed conversation.

Migration to the suburbs? I'm not sure what you mean. I grew up there.
My parents moved from Philly in '55. Shortly afterward, they moved into the house where I grew up. Bought the house new for $21K.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
50s and 60s were great for me. Safe, happy, carefree. The only threat you felt was worrying if the Russians were coming. You left your house and car open and unlocked anywhere, kids played anywhere, most people were in the average income levels, you could walk anywhere at anytime of day or nite without any worry. There was no need for CCPs. Cars were cool and cheap. Music made sense and it was fun to go to the drive in movie. Only bad was very few tv channels and most shows were black and white. I actually remember when color tv first came out and the whole neighborhood came to our house to watch the only show in color....Walt Disneys Wonderful World of Color. Prob my first 5 cars I owned cost less than $150 for nice ones.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Cloth diapers, baby formula, Gerbers baby food, long naps, no bills, no schedule, no job, no responsibilities; life was good! . I was born in 1958.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-31-2011).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Talk about crowded classrooms, I can count 38 kids faces plus the teacher and two other adults in this photo of my class:

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Back then, they didn't make the cabs of fire trucks big enough for everyone to sit in. Some of the crew stood on the platform at the back of the truck and held on to the hand rails. Yes, there were times when the truck hit a bump and someone fell off. My dad didn't know anyone who got hurt that way, but he knew of guys who would flag down the first car they saw and had them drive him to the destination.
PFF
System Bot
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

depends on who you are & where you are from
yes, most certainly a wonderful time to be a white male in the USA
still had nigggers & housewives
and both readily available for a beatdown if they didnt respect your authourity
all entertainment & media HEAVILY censored. after all - "The Bomb" was on the way from the commies.
drinking & driving? no problem. street racing? oh you silly boys. well, for whites...

but - dont for a second think there was less crime, or people were in any way "better". still had police, jails, criminals, violence, etc. there was just so much less that could be done. children & young ladies were sexually abused at what today would be an alarming rate. just heavily "hushed up". dont speak of such things.

and, also gotta keep in mind the roaring 20's are still recent past too. the times which created the modern drug laws. because holy crap did them folk do some drugs! likely the most decadent decade ever. yes, the 80's did a good job with cocaine - but - the 20's - they had it all. and lots of it. legal. much right over the counter. and of the children of the 20's (mature adults of the 50's) were actually raised on cocaine.

yes - Happy Days/Amercan Graffit etc. are fiction - and should be viewed as such. Yes, Grease was a fun musical. but thats it. They be stories.

like any other time - it was as great as you could make it.

Just curious how old you were in the 50s.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
the 50s sounded awesome
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

Talk about crowded classrooms, I can count 38 kids faces plus the teacher and two other adults in this photo of my class:

Ahh. the days of the paddle.
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Ahh. the days of the paddle.

In the 6th grade we got a new girl who had moved here from Spain.
Unbelievably beautiful.
One day after school I hid behind a tree and as she approached I jumped out and kissed here.
She slapped me, didn't know girls could hit so hard.
Next day got called into the office and the principal had the paddle in his hand.
I was hurting from both side now!
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I just remembered that the freezer part of the home refrigerators were not "frost-free". The frost would build up and you would have to defrost the freezer. As I recall, we did that about twice a month.

And only rich people had ice makers. We had to fill ice cube trays at the sink and put em in the freezer and wait for them to get hard. It was a real pain in the ice!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I just remembered that the freezer part of the home refrigerators were not "frost-free". The frost would build up and you would have to defrost the freezer. As I recall, we did that about twice a month.

And only rich people had ice makers. We had to fill ice cube trays at the sink and put em in the freezer and wait for them to get hard. It was a real pain in the ice!

I still have my grandfather's ice trays from the 50s. One is from General Electric, and one from Frigidaire. They're awesome for making alcoholic ice cubes... heh.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

depends on who you are & where you are from
yes, most certainly a wonderful time to be a white male in the USA
still had nigggers & housewives
and both readily available for a beatdown if they didnt respect your authourity
all entertainment & media HEAVILY censored. after all - "The Bomb" was on the way from the commies.
drinking & driving? no problem. street racing? oh you silly boys. well, for whites...

but - dont for a second think there was less crime, or people were in any way "better". still had police, jails, criminals, violence, etc. there was just so much less that could be done. children & young ladies were sexually abused at what today would be an alarming rate. just heavily "hushed up". dont speak of such things.

and, also gotta keep in mind the roaring 20's are still recent past too. the times which created the modern drug laws. because holy crap did them folk do some drugs! likely the most decadent decade ever. yes, the 80's did a good job with cocaine - but - the 20's - they had it all. and lots of it. legal. much right over the counter. and of the children of the 20's (mature adults of the 50's) were actually raised on cocaine.

yes - Happy Days/Amercan Graffit etc. are fiction - and should be viewed as such. Yes, Grease was a fun musical. but thats it. They be stories.

like any other time - it was as great as you could make it.

My Dad was in his thirties in the '50's. He was a white male, and I don't think he ever took advantage of a "beatdown" on either my Mom, us, or any black people. And he taught me not to call them the N-Word.

But then, he was named Eugene, wore glasses, and played the violin as a child.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I still have my grandfather's ice trays from the 50s. One is from General Electric, and one from Frigidaire. They're awesome for making alcoholic ice cubes... heh.

Yeah, there weren't many things made of plastic back then. So even the ice cube trays weren't easy. Since they were metal, you couldn't twist/flex them, so they had that little handle thing you had to rock back & forth until the cubes loosened up. At our house, we had an ice crusher mounted on the wall. Put about 4 to 6 cubes in the top and start turning the crank. Out comes crushed ice in the cup that's screwed on below.

And don't forget - we made homemade icecream with slave labor... meaning the old farts would sit in lawn chairs and watch us kids crank the stupid thing all day. But of course it was the best ice cream in the world.

And there were no twist caps on the beers & sodas. Bottle openers & can openers were everywhere.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 06-01-2011).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

U2 shootdowns, etc.

Not to make you feel old but I had to google this. I just thought U2 was simply the name of the band and no historical meaning behind it. LOL

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Well, Gary Powers' U-2 was shot down in 1960, but that's close enough to the 50's of course. The U-2 missions over Russia did start in the 50's.

From http://americanhistory.abou...ar/a/gary_powers.htm :

The conventional story given to explain the crash of the U-2 and the subsequent capture of Gary Powers is that a surface-to-air missile brought down the plane. However, the U-2 spy plane was constructed to be unassailable by conventional weapons. The major benefit of these high altitude planes was their ability to stay above enemy fire. If the plane was flying at its proper height and had been shot down, many question how Powers could have survived. It would have been very likely that he would have died in the explosion or from the high altitude ejection. Therefore, many individuals question the validity of this explanation. Several alternative theories have been put forward to explain the downing of Gary Powers spy plane:

Gary Powers was flying his plane below the high flying reconnaissance altitude and was hit by anti-aircraft fire.
Gary Powers actually landed the plane in the Soviet Union.
There was a bomb on board the plane.

The newest and probably least probable explanation offered for the downing of the planes comes from the pilot of a Soviet plane involved in the incident. He claims to have been ordered to ram the spy plane. Admittedly there is little evidence to support this claim. However, it further muddies the waters of explanation. Even though the cause of the incident is shrouded in mystery there is little doubt to the short and long term consequences of the event.
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
For me portable batteries were always "there". When did double "AA", C, D alkaline batteries become part of American culture and start to become widely used?
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:
Not to make you feel old but I had to google this. I just thought U2 was simply the name of the band and no historical meaning behind it. LOL

Jeez, kids these days. Don't know their military history or aircraft. Every kid I knew could identify every US Air Force jet. Not your fault, sirick01.

But if you liked the U2, go look up the SR-71. Or, if you're more history-oriented, the A-12. Yes, the CIA actually had its own Air Force. And had special planes built just for them.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Yes, the CIA actually had its own Air Force. .

Yeah, called "Air America".
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Delorean, I'm just curious... what made you think about the 50s?

Would I be out there to guess that you're thinking about it because you are questioning whether or not the US will ever get back to "great times?"
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

For me portable batteries were always "there". When did double "AA", C, D alkaline batteries become part of American culture and start to become widely used?

Not sure of the exact answer to your question, but it reminded me that batteries back then SUCKED. They were weak and didn't last long. The few battery-powered toys we had were unreliable. We mostly used batteries in flashlights, but like I said, they were awful.

When Duracell coppertops came along, it was an answer to prayer. Those old Ray-O-Vacs just weren't worth squat.

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Not sure of the exact answer to your question, but it reminded me that batteries back then SUCKED. They were weak and didn't last long. The few battery-powered toys we had were unreliable. We mostly used batteries in flashlights, but like I said, they were awful.

When Duracell coppertops came along, it was an answer to prayer. Those old Ray-O-Vacs just weren't worth squat.

The longer lasting battery was a direct result of pressure put on the makers of them by the women libbers!
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Anyone else remember the "Eight Page Bibles" AKA "Tijuana Bibles" popular in the 50's?
FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Before transistor radios, 50's portable radios had tubes with LARGE A B batteries that supplied a small voltage (7.5 or 9 volts for tube filaments) and 90 volts (for B+).

I just picked up an early 50's Zenith portable radio like the one pictured below at a thrift store:

It had an Eveready 754 A B battery (pictured below) still in it (but long dead). The Battery takes up the bottom half of the radio. Most of these radios also plugged into 120VAC and it's a good thing they did since battery life was horrid.

[This message has been edited by FrugalFiero (edited 06-02-2011).]

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Well, Gary Powers' U-2 was shot down in 1960, but that's close enough to the 50's of course. The U-2 missions over Russia did start in the 50's.

From http://americanhistory.abou...ar/a/gary_powers.htm :

[QUOTE]
The conventional story given to explain the crash of the U-2 and the subsequent capture of Gary Powers is that a surface-to-air missile brought down the plane. However, the U-2 spy plane was constructed to be unassailable by conventional weapons. The major benefit of these high altitude planes was their ability to stay above enemy fire. If the plane was flying at its proper height and had been shot down, many question how Powers could have survived. It would have been very likely that he would have died in the explosion or from the high altitude ejection. Therefore, many individuals question the validity of this explanation. Several alternative theories have been put forward to explain the downing of Gary Powers spy plane:

Gary Powers was flying his plane below the high flying reconnaissance altitude and was hit by anti-aircraft fire.
Gary Powers actually landed the plane in the Soviet Union.
There was a bomb on board the plane.

The newest and probably least probable explanation offered for the downing of the planes comes from the pilot of a Soviet plane involved in the incident. He claims to have been ordered to ram the spy plane. Admittedly there is little evidence to support this claim. However, it further muddies the waters of explanation. Even though the cause of the incident is shrouded in mystery there is little doubt to the short and long term consequences of the event.
[/QUOTE]

sorry but in 1960 they didNOT believe a russian AA missal could get to 70,00ft ??
sputnik was 57

real story

""Powers' U-2 plane had been hit by the first S-75 missile fired. A total of 3 had been launched; one missile hit a MiG-19 jet fighter sent to intercept the U-2, but which was unable to reach a high enough altitude. The Soviet pilot, Sergey Safronov, crashed his plane in an unpopulated forest area rather than bail out and risk his plane crashing into nearby Degtyarsk. Another Soviet aircraft, a newly manufactured Su-9 in transit flight, also attempted to intercept Powers' U-2. The unarmed Su-9 was directed to ram the U-2. The pilot attempted but missed because of the large differences in speed.'''

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Yeah, called "Air America".

Actually Air America was more of an air cargo organization run by CIA. They did have their own 'combat' air force too however. They would have done the missions that the government couldnt...like Bin Ladin assassination. Back then, that would have been CIA helicopters.

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Actually Air America was more of an air cargo organization run by CIA. They did have their own 'combat' air force too however. They would have done the missions that the government couldnt...like Bin Ladin assassination. Back then, that would have been CIA helicopters.

Yup.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
I thought that Evergreen Air was a CIA front.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
I would have to say, as no one has, ...

Spankings.
Discipline in general.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

I thought that Evergreen Air was a CIA front.

SHHHHHH!!!!
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

Before transistor radios, 50's portable radios had tubes with LARGE A B batteries that supplied a small voltage (7.5 or 9 volts for tube filaments) and 90 volts (for B+).

I just picked up an early 50's Zenith portable radio like the one pictured below at a thrift store:

It had an Eveready 754 A B battery (pictured below) still in it (but long dead). The Battery takes up the bottom half of the radio. Most of these radios also plugged into 120VAC and it's a good thing they did since battery life was horrid.

Do you remember the old 22V B batteries that looks like 9V batteries but only longer? They were used in camera flashes a lot. Not knowing, I touched one of those babies to my tongue to check the charge.

Yes, it was very charged! I damn near saw colors.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
(born 6-1-50)
How was it?
'It was the best of times--it was the worst of times'--depending where you lived, who you were, how affluent you were, the color of your skin, and a whole host of other issues.
Wife abuse? You bet--politely covered up, but obvious if one had 2 good eyes to see it with. Child abuse--including sexual abuse--you betcha--you just didn't hear of it openly as you do in today's media. Racial abuse--EVERYWHERE!
Talk of war, not politics, was on everyone's lips and minds. The war that hadn't yet been over a decade, the war we were in (Korea), the war that we feared was coming (ww3), and the cold war that had already begun.

Oh, and people actually spoke to one another--in person, and wrote letters with fountain pens, about all the events and people of the times, including beatniks.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-03-2011).]

jconnor34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jconnor34Send a Private Message to jconnor34Direct Link to This Post
American Grafitti says it all (for reader's digest version). Born 1940.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
American Graffiti was set in 1962 so most of the 50's songs were from later in the decade and they were “oldies” at the time. The list below is from the Billboard list of Top 10 Songs of the 1950's. I don’t think Patti Page or Frank Sinatra made the American Graffiti soundtrack but they were big early in the decade.

1. Daddy's Little Girl - Mills Brothers
2. Mona Lisa - Nat King Cole
3. Music! Music! Music! - Teresa Brewer
4. The Tennesse Waltz - Patti Page
5. A Bushel and a Peck - Perry Como and Betty Hutton
6. Rag Mop - Ames Brothers
7. If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd Have Baked A Cake - Eileen Barton
8. Harbor Lights - Sammy Kaye
9. Goodnight, Irene - Gordon Jenkins and the Weavers
10. I Wanna Be Loved - the Andrews Sisters

1. Mockingbird Hill - Patti Page
2. Cry - Johnny Ray
3. Too Young - Nat King Cole
4. Cold, Cold Heart - Tony Bennet
5. Come On-a My House - Rosemary Clooney
6. Because of You - Tony Bennet
7. Sentimental Journey - Les Brown & the Ames Brothers
8. That's My Boy - Stan Freburg
9. Be My Love - Mario Lanza
10. Sixty Minute Man - Billy Ward and His Dominoes

1. Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
2. Blues In the Night - Rosemary Clooney
3. High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me) - Frankie Lane
4. You Belong To Me - Jo Stafford
5. It's In The Book - Johnny Standley
6. A Guy Is A Guy - Doris Day
7. Please, Mister Sun - Johnny Ray
8. Wheel of Fortune - Kay Starr
9. Heart and Soul - Four Aces
10. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Guy Mitchell

1. That's Amore - Dean Martin
2. The Doggie In The Window - Patti Page
3. Vaya Con Dios - Les Paul & Mary Ford
4. Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams
5. Rags To Riches - Tony Bennett
6. I've Got The World On A String - Frank Sinatra
7. You Belong To Me - Jo Stafford
8. I Believe - Frankie Laine
9. South Of The Border - Frank Sinatra
10. Stranger In Paradise - Tony Bennett

1. Shake Rattle and Roll - Bill Haley and The Comets
2. Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra
3. Sh-Boom (Life Could Be A Dream) - The Crew-Cuts
4. Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney
5. Mr Sandman - The Chordettes
6. Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight - Spaniels
7. Stranger In Paradise - Tony Martin
8. Three Coins In The Fountain - Al Alberts & Four Aces
9. Oh! My Papa - Eddie Fisher
10. Naughty Lady of Shady Lane - Ames Brothers

1. Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White - Perez Prado
2. Sincerely - the McGuire Sisters
3. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets
4. Sixteen Tons - Ernie 'Tennessee' Ford
5. Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing - Four Aces
6. The Yellow Rose of Texas - Mitch Miller
7. Ballad of Davey Crockett - Bill Hayes
8. Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
9. Let Me Go Lover - Joan Weber
10. Dance With Me Henry (Wallflower) - Georgia Gibbs

1. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
2. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
3. Singing The Blues - Guy Mitchell
4. The Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant
5. Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
6. Rock and Roll Waltz - Kay Starr
7. The Poor People of Paris - Les Baxter
8. Memories Are Made Of this - Dean Martin
9. Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
10. My Prayer - the Platters

1. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
2. Love Letters In The Sand - Pat Boone
3. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
4. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear - Elvis Presley
5. April Love - Pat Boone
6. Young Love - Tab Hunter
7. Tammy - Debbie Reynolds
8. Honeycomb - Jimmie Rodgers
9. Wake Up Little Susie - the Everly Brothers
10. You Send Me - Sam Cooke

1. At The Hop - Danny and the Juniors
2. It's All In The Game - Tommy Edwards
3. The Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
4. All I Have To Do Is Dream - the Everly Brothers
5. Tequila - the Champs
6. Don't - Elvis Presley
7. Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare) - Domentico Modugno
8. Sugartime - the Mcguire Sisters
9. He's Got The Whole World (In His Hands) - Laurie London
10. The Chipmonk Song - The Chipmonks

1. Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin
2. The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
3. Venus - Frankie Avalon
4. Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
5. The Three Bells - The Browns
6. Lonely Boy - Paul Anka
7. Come Softly To Me - the Fleetwoods
8. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - the Platters
9. Heartaches By The Number - Guy Mitchell
10. Sleep Walk - Santo & Johnny
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
1. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
2. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
3. Singing The Blues - Guy Mitchell
4. The Wayward Wind - Gogi Grant
5. Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
6. Rock and Roll Waltz - Kay Starr
7. The Poor People of Paris - Les Baxter
8. Memories Are Made Of this - Dean Martin
9. Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
10. My Prayer - the Platters

there's a pawnshop --on the corner... in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania....

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock