Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Since Oil is a topic of discussion: Move over Bakken and Hello Texas (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Since Oil is a topic of discussion: Move over Bakken and Hello Texas by Wichita
Started on: 05-29-2011 03:01 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: Toddster on 10-08-2011 09:22 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
They are now discovering huge oil shale fields in Texas that are larger than anything in the USA ever had and dwarfs the ugly sour crude of the Bakken fields in North Dakota.

Good old Texas they said the new oil field is an equivalent in size and we will be able to recover oil the size of the Kuwait fields. The new oil find could output the total USA oil production by 25%. The Eagle Ford fields in Texas will be able to produce 3 million barrels a day compared to the Bakken that is only doing around 400k a day.

Every little bit helps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011...ml?pagewanted=1&_r=1
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm waiting for the Liberals to say it won't matter, it's not enough, it won't produce anything for at least 10 years, and we can't drill there because it might hurt the environment.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I'm waiting for the Liberals to say it won't matter, it's not enough, it won't produce anything for at least 10 years, and we can't drill there because it might hurt the environment.

They are already on it. They found an endangered species known as the Dunes Sagebrush Lizard and they are trying to use it to stop oil and agricultural production in West Texas.

http://www.foxnews.com/poli...kill-oil-production/
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
We must stop domestic energy production at all costs, it seems.

“We want to help you with the technology and support to develop these oil reserves safely, and when you’re ready to start selling, we want to be one of your best customers.”
-President Obama to Brazil
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
I drove a UHaul truck on Thursday from Denver to Roseburg Oregon. I saw many, many oil rigs alongside the highway and a long network of roads to support them. I made the same trip back in late April and had to take a 70 mile detour off IH 80 from Laramie to Rawlins. I saw even more oil rigs there plus trailer parks and camping trailers that I can only assume are there to house the workers.

I stopped Thursday afternoon to fill up and couldn't get waited on in a fast food place because of all the oil field workers. I heard them talk about wells, rigs, etc. So we are drilling for oil despite what some people say. I lived in Texas for more than 30 years so I know an oil rig when I see it.

I hope the shale in Texas turns out to be a big producer.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I just hope all of this production is made for domestic consumption and not foreign consumption.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The U.S. uses about 18 Million barrels of oil per day. If this find is as good as they say, it will supply one sixth of our total oil consumption. That should make a substantial impact. Unfortunately, OPEC will just reduce output to keep prices where they want them, but it's still better producing more at home.

Didn't someone say we had already passed Peak Oil and there were no more big finds to be had?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Didn't someone say we had already passed Peak Oil and there were no more big finds to be had?

Something like that was said in ~1970 or so.
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Oxy oil discovery could spark new interest in California's energy potential

The biggest find in the state in 35 years, somewhere in Kern County, could herald new exploration in California and the U.S., experts say.
But some worry it could lead to a false sense of security.

Oil, Oil Everywhere
Now Occidental is breaking ranks in another way by upsetting the commonplace view that the days of "easy oil" in the U.S. are over. Last year Oxy announced a new find outside Bakersfield, in Kern County, California, which is shaping up to be the biggest onshore oil discovery the U.S. has seen in three decades. It likely holds more than 1 billion barrels of oil (and natural gas equivalents) that will be easy and cheap to extract.

http://www.forbes.com/globa...-oil-everywhere.html

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 05-29-2011).]

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Our govenment has been putting a lid on the US oil fields for 60 years. It's common knowlege that their strategic goal is to use up other countries oil until those fields run dry. At that point, the US will be in the energy driver's seat. Sounds good in theory but reality rarely works as good as theory.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
It would have to be a crap load to affect the world prices very much as demand is rising and rising. It will help the oil companies make more money and employ people (which is a good thing) but I doubt you'll see much of a difference in gas prices.
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

Our govenment has been putting a lid on the US oil fields for 60 years. It's common knowlege that their strategic goal is to use up other countries oil until those fields run dry. At that point, the US will be in the energy driver's seat. Sounds good in theory but reality rarely works as good as theory.

Interesting theory. I've never heard this.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to the Eagle Ford shale on Tuesday.. gonna be there for two weeks. I'll take pics and put them up here I get to see two wells go from spud to TD which is pretty neat, and we have some fracking going on next door that I'll probably check out as long as I have time.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I'm going to the Eagle Ford shale on Tuesday.. gonna be there for two weeks. I'll take pics and put them up here I get to see two wells go from spud to TD which is pretty neat, and we have some fracking going on next door that I'll probably check out as long as I have time.

Let me know how deep you guys will be drilling. I would really like to know.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

I drove a UHaul truck on Thursday from Denver to Roseburg Oregon. I saw many, many oil rigs alongside the highway and a long network of roads to support them. I made the same trip back in late April and had to take a 70 mile detour off IH 80 from Laramie to Rawlins. I saw even more oil rigs there plus trailer parks and camping trailers that I can only assume are there to house the workers.

I stopped Thursday afternoon to fill up and couldn't get waited on in a fast food place because of all the oil field workers. I heard them talk about wells, rigs, etc. So we are drilling for oil despite what some people say. I lived in Texas for more than 30 years so I know an oil rig when I see it.

I hope the shale in Texas turns out to be a big producer.

Are you sure it isn't for Natural Gas? Those wells are quite a bit different than oil wells. Oil isn't as common as Natural Gas.. I'm not saying you're wrong but I think you may be mistaken.

[This message has been edited by theBDub (edited 05-30-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by Wichita:

Let me know how deep you guys will be drilling. I would really like to know.

I think we'll be getting 6,000 ft deep, then going sideways for another 6,000 (I'll be on gas wells). I'll let you know when I get there. I'm living on site.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

I think we'll be getting 6,000 ft deep, then going sideways for another 6,000 (I'll be on gas wells). I'll let you know when I get there. I'm living on site.

That's pretty deep. I know sideways drilling is the thing. Also let me know if you hit any sugar sand and how long its going to take you to reach your pocket.

Is this going to be capped afterwards for future use or will they be piping it up to a compression station?

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 05-30-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

That's pretty deep. I know sideways drilling is the thing. Also let me know if you hit any sugar sand and how long its going to take you to reach your pocket.

Is this going to be capped afterwards for future use or will they be piping it up to a compression station?

I will--I can tell you that we only take around 7 days to drill, then move on to completions.

I don't know what our plans for them are. I'll get back to you on Tuesday night.
Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

Oxy oil discovery could spark new interest in California's energy potential

The biggest find in the state in 35 years, somewhere in Kern County, could herald new exploration in California and the U.S., experts say.
But some worry it could lead to a false sense of security.

Oil, Oil Everywhere
Now Occidental is breaking ranks in another way by upsetting the commonplace view that the days of "easy oil" in the U.S. are over. Last year Oxy announced a new find outside Bakersfield, in Kern County, California, which is shaping up to be the biggest onshore oil discovery the U.S. has seen in three decades. It likely holds more than 1 billion barrels of oil (and natural gas equivalents) that will be easy and cheap to extract.

http://www.forbes.com/globa...-oil-everywhere.html

My father was telling me all about this earlier, he works for Oxy. There's been a lot of chatter in their offices.

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Interesting theory. I've never heard this.

It's not something that they want to advertise or those third world countries would put even a bigger screw to us. Rest assured it's being done. All one has to do is look at all the US oil that for whatever reason being claimed by the government, is sitting there untouched while we continue to buy foreign oil in record amounts. It's certainly not because the oil is not financially viable to drill and process or that it's that difficult to obtain. We use up the dumb@zz third world countries resources who, for the short term , think that they are in the driver's seat. Once that is gone, they fall back into the stone age or pay our hefty prices for export. It is entirely a strategic energy management system to keep the US secure for as long as possible. Some of it is painful for the short term, but good for the US in the long term.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Already happened. Liberals want to shut down Texas oil fields because of a horny toad. http://li82-18.members.lino...texas-oil-production No, I'm not talking about CliffW.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

Do you really think the Saudis would let other countries use up all their oil?? Do you really think they would even allow an estimate as to how much oil they have to be released 100% untainted?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

They are now discovering how huge the oil shale fields in Texas that are ...

Fixed that for you. I have been drilling in the Eagle Ford shale for a little over a year. Just outside the town of Catarina which your link mentions.

Originally posted by Raydar:
Something like that was said in ~1970 or so.

And almost as much as the "end of the world" predictions. Yet they keep finding new discoveries. Passing peak oil deposits, rather the claim, is liberal mind washing to try to garner interest in other energy sources. To inhibit exploration.

Going to the Eagle Ford shale ? It's not so much a place. It is a formation of the Earth's crust which

my linky
The Eagle Ford Shale is a hydrocarbon producing formation rich in oil and natural gas fields. The shale play area starts at the Texas-Mexico border in Webb and Maverick counties and extends 400 miles toward East Texas. The play is 50 miles wide and an average of 250 feet thick at a depth between 4000 and 12,000 feet. The shale contains a high amount of carbonate which makes it brittle and easier to use hydraulic fracturing to produce the oil or gas. The oil reserves are estimated at 3 billion barrels with potential output of 420,000 barrels a day.

Where abouts are you going to go to ? I am gonna be in south Texas this week. I might be able to stop in and see you. Send me a PM with info and your number.

Are you sure it isn't for Natural Gas? [Those wells are quite a bit different than oil wells. Oil isn't as common as Natural Gas.. I'm not saying you're wrong but I think you may be mistaken.

I have drilled for oil and natural gas. I have drilled wells of which we did not know what we might get. The wells are not different from a drilling perspective.

I was drilling verticle to about 8,000 feet, then making a curve to go horizontal for another five to six thousand feet. The formation is not at a uniform set depth so six and six sounds about right.
Living on site ? It's not living. You will have very nice quarters, will need nothing, but it is not living.

That's pretty deep.

Deep is relative. I have drilled quite a few wells near the 26,000 foot mark. One over 30,000 feet, and many between 15 and 20 thousand.

I will--I can tell you that we only take around 7 days to drill, then move on to completions.

I say three days to move the rig in, fourteen days drilling (assuming no problems), and then well completions after the rig is moved to the next location/drill site.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Going to the Eagle Ford shale ? It's not so much a place. It is a formation of the Earth's crust

Lol I know. But right now, I'm not there. I'm in Houston. So I will be going to the area. Smartass...

I have drilled for oil and natural gas. I have drilled wells of which we did not know what we might get. The wells are not different from a drilling perspective.

They're different from my perspective. I guess maybe not otherwise.

I say three days to move the rig in, fourteen days drilling (assuming no problems), and then well completions after the rig is moved to the next location/drill site.

We move quickly. 7 days drilling.

I'll PM you my info. Now they're moving the rig tomorrow, so I'm not going down until Wednesday. I hope to see you.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Here is an interesting story about oil pricing.
Saudi Prince: Lower Oil Price to Keep US, Europe Hooked
http://www.newsmax.com/News...al&promo_code=C5C0-1

Saudi Arabia’s Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal said Sunday that he wants to decrease the price of oil so that the United States and Europe don’t look elsewhere for new, cheaper supplies. The prince, speaking with CNN host Fareed Zakaria, would like to keep the price of barrels between $70 and $80, rather than the current price of more than $100.

"We don't want the West to go and find alternatives, because, clearly, the higher the price of oil goes, the more they have incentives to go and find alternatives," said bin Talal, who cited continuing Mideast unrest and supply disruptions for the soaring price of crude. "You're not 100 percent sure what is going to happen, because you hear once in a while Iran coming and jumping and antagonizing and intimidating the Gulf region. So, there's a worry."

Forbes lists bin Talal as the world’s 26th-wealthiest man.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Lol I know. But right now, I'm not there. I'm in Houston. So I will be going to the area.

Wasn't meaning to be a smartazz. I figured you knew. I was trying to figure out where you would be.

They're different from my perspective. I guess maybe not otherwise.

Heh ... I am very interested in your perspective. I know people, old co workers/bosses, who sit in the company man's position on drilling locations. One wants to train me. I find it intimidating.
Got your PM. I will call you here in a bit.
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Do you really think the Saudis would let other countries use up all their oil?? Do you really think they would even allow an estimate as to how much oil they have to be released 100% untainted?

Sure. It's all about greed. They will continue to sell it until it gets so low that they get into trouble. You have to remember, the US initially set up oil exploration in the middle east and along with it came negotiated sales. It's all about money and greed TODAY. We get to buy oil and they get billions of dollars in various forms under the classification of "aid". Our goverment keeps BSing on the subject of how expensive it is to collect and refine the oil that we have, the middle east raises it's prices to just under that false threshold to lure the US into buying their oil for........ HUGE PROFIT. I didn't come up with this, all one has to do is some research and in the end, simply connect the dots for a bigger picture. This strategy has been uncovered by a few journalists only to be hushed up quickly and quietly.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Heh ... I am very interested in your perspective. I know people, old co workers/bosses, who sit in the company man's position on drilling locations. One wants to train me. I find it intimidating.
Got your PM. I will call you here in a bit.

Honestly, now that I'm here and get it a little more, there is little difference in the drilling. I was thinking from a completions perspective, and so thought they'd be totally different.

I guess you could say I was speaking out of my ass But I didn't know I was...
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

We move quickly. 7 days drilling.

Define "drilling".
Including casing programs, cementing, WOC, tripping out/in etc?
7 days (168 hrs) total from spud to beginning of completion--or 7 days actually 'making hole?
IOW, spud in 1 min after midnight (on a FRIDAY) you will begin completion on the following Friday morning on a 12K TD well?

Define "We".
Newfield owns it's own rigs--works it's own crews?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-02-2011).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Define "drilling".
7 days (168 hrs) total from spud to beginning of completion--or 7 days actually 'making hole?
IOW, spud in 1 min after midnight (on a FRIDAY) you will begin completion on the following Friday morning on a 12K TD well?

Define "We".

He is still too new to know.
I spoke with theBDub on the phone. Helmerich &Payne is the drilling contractor. I can't think of one energy company that has it's own rigs, although I know of some drilling contractors that have turnkeyed their own wells. I don't know why energy companies do not operate drilling wells.
Seven days drilling is insanely crazy fast. Hell (literally), we were drilling 14 to 16 thousand feet wells in fourteen days (with no problems) including casing, building the curve, and cementing. We would trip to change the bottom hole assembly for the curve, and that might be the only trip we would make. They now piggy back down hole directional tools in case one fails. Crazy fast. I would have cuttings going over the shale shakers (a triple set) so fast that the mud could not fall back into the circulating system. They would not even slow down so I could re-screen them. I has to do it on the fly. With the top drives, rotating mouse holes, and other modern equipment, drilling times are faster. Yet, corners are being cut with safety/upkeep. They are pushing the roughnecks to the limits.
If you remember, I quit due to safety and the next week my boss died on the job. I saw them lift the BOP's to cut out a wear bushing they forgot to remove due to the rush. We did this during a casing run (with no casing rams) while oil base mud was in the hole. I also saw us try to chain the BOP's down twice during one nipple up, to get a successful pressure test so we could get back to drilling. I know of another time that it happened when I was not there.
They also had us come in on our days off .. to clean and paint, , because we did not have the time to do it during operations.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Define "drilling".

Define "We".

Just three or four days ago (it's starting to run together), we (Newfield) hit our record with a negative vertical section (Pregnant Lady) for 7 days 18 hours. Our record without a negative vertical section is 7 days 5 hours. This is from spud to TD, including surface casing but not including precompletions.

We is Newfield because even though we hire out contractors to drill, we manage and design the operation. I'm sure our contractors have records of their own but when we design and manage something efficiently we take that victory.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Negative vertical section ? Define that please.
Also, we posted at the same time. Did you see my post ?
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Negative vertical section ? Define that please.
Also, we posted at the same time. Did you see my post ?

Picture a 2D picture of a well. Usually the heel is just going from straight down to horizontal. So let's say it's going straight down then going right (2D). With a negative vertical section, to get more area out of what would soon become unrecoverable oil/gas, you first go left and make a bigger loop, so you're almost hitting horizontal under the vertical section.

If I had a scanner here I'd draw out a diagram.

I just saw your other post. I understand what you are saying. I don't know why they'd be messing with the BOP at all--that seems dangerous. Top drive systems and rotating mouse holes don't compromise safety though? So far we haven't been cutting corners. The only thing I noticed is that our company man let's everyone wear short sleeves (Just T-Shirts. I'm uncomfortable doing that. Not thick enough). But they're moving to FRC soon so that will probably be out.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Picture a 2D picture of a well. Usually the heel is just going from straight down to horizontal. So let's say it's going straight down then going right (2D). With a negative vertical section, to get more area out of what would soon become unrecoverable oil/gas, you first go left and make a bigger loop, so you're almost hitting horizontal under the vertical section.

If I had a scanner here I'd draw out a diagram.

I just saw your other post. I understand what you are saying. I don't know why they'd be messing with the BOP at all--that seems dangerous.
They would be "messing" with the bop stack because the well operator (company man etc) was pushing them to get back to drilling.

Top drive systems and rotating mouse holes don't compromise safety though? So far we haven't been cutting corners. The only thing I noticed is that our company man let's everyone wear short sleeves (Just T-Shirts. I'm uncomfortable doing that. Not thick enough). But they're moving to FRC soon so that will probably be out.

See?--you are doing it already-- [disappointment emoticon here] --you are 'managing' instead of leading.

You only think you are uncomfortable "doing" that--just wait till you spend a few full length days out there on the floor with the FRCs on yourself--you will then know what "uncomfortable" really is.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

It's starting to run together)

I know that you are new. When it starts running together, for the veterans, safety is compromised. Remember this ! We count on you. After all, as you say, you take the victory. Which is , bull **** . The drilling contractor's representative is the final say so. However, we try to meet your needs. Some reps, heh, most reps, suck azz to the energy contractor.
Exxon, has a safety rep on site on most wells. Does Newfield ?
Sounds like your company, if you decide to stay, has a fracked up attitude. I wonder how much credit SM (Saint Mary's) Energy's is gonna take on the death of my ex/deceased boss. Oh yeah, they will go for more records yet his kids will never be able to play ball with him again.
Again, I know that you are new. Pay attention, learn, but do not be assimulated.
My take on FSC clothing (Fire Safe Clothing) ? It's crap. It ain't gonna protect me in a blow out. Heh ... I am a volunteer fire fighter. With greater fire protection gear. The heat from the fire will kill you. The explosion from a blow out ... no time to get away. The word "toast" comes to mind.
I still do not understand the theory of a negative vertical section.
No, a top drive nor a rotating mouse hole, is an unsafe thing. I would rather work with swinging blocks (top drive alternative) but I do like the rotating mouse hole.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

See?--you are doing it already-- [disappointment emoticon here] --you are 'managing' instead of leading.

You only think you are uncomfortable "doing" that--just wait till you spend a few full length days out there on the floor with the FRCs on yourself--you will then know what "uncomfortable" really is.

Today, I was on the floor watching the men do their work. They were putting a pip in place, and were hammering it to get it to the right angle. A piece fell off the pipe and hit another worker in the arm, sticking there. He took it out, and was fine without any problem. But this is what I saw on one of my first days here. FRCs aren't made as heavy as they used to be--the pants are just normal jeans, nothing thicker than usual, and the shirts are normal work shirts.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

FRCs aren't made as heavy as they used to be--the pants are just normal jeans, nothing thicker than usual, and the shirts are normal work shirts.

Wrong. They are chemically treated. By the way, that treatment does not let them breathe. Hot as hell. Restrictive too.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

I know that you are new. When it starts running together, for the veterans, safety is compromised. Remember this ! We count on you. After all, as you say, you take the victory. Which is , bull **** . The drilling contractor's representative is the final say so. However, we try to meet your needs. Some reps, heh, most reps, suck azz to the energy contractor.
Exxon, has a safety rep on site on most wells. Does Newfield ?
Sounds like your company, if you decide to stay, has a fracked up attitude. I wonder how much credit SM (Saint Mary's) Energy's is gonna take on the death of my ex/deceased boss. Oh yeah, they will go for more records yet his kids will never be able to play ball with him again.
Again, I know that you are new. Pay attention, learn, but do not be assimulated.
My take on FSC clothing (Fire Safe Clothing) ? It's crap. It ain't gonna protect me in a blow out. Heh ... I am a volunteer fire fighter. With greater fire protection gear. The heat from the fire will kill you. The explosion from a blow out ... no time to get away. The word "toast" comes to mind.
I still do not understand the theory of a negative vertical section.
No, a top drive nor a rotating mouse hole, is an unsafe thing. I would rather work with swinging blocks (top drive alternative) but I do like the rotating mouse hole.

Well, I think my attitude needs a little adjustment. Don't let me reflect Newfield or H&P. I've been feeling like such a "big dog" ever since I got down to Houston and I guess I let it get away from me. I am trying to act like I know way more than I do. Truth is, I've been asking question after question after question and then just more-or-less repeating answers on here to sound smart. I'm sorry guys. I don't know as much as I've been pretending to know. I'm a smart cookie, and it's killing me that I am so behind right now.

I have been asking the company men about us taking credit. Because we hire out contractors, I asked why it wasn't a record for them. He explained that they do have records of their own, but it's also a part of us. We are all a team. It's not Newfield and H&P separately out here. It's one group all working towards it so it's a collective win. He said we learn things at every turn "We don't need to do this here" and that's why we are getting faster. We aren't cutting corners on safety. Trust me on that... if there is anything I've learned out here, it's that Newfield really cares about keeping people safe.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9688 posts
Member since May 2010

Wrong. They are chemically treated. By the way, that treatment does not let them breathe. Hot as hell. Restrictive too.

I have some! I know they are chemically treated! But they aren't heavier than the work shirts I bought at Academy before coming down!

Look--I know I've been bloating up my knowledge. I don't know everything. But don't act like this is some big bad thing the company men are doing. This is a state-wide thing going into effect somewhere around September or October.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Even Nomex flight suits burn, and actually, quite easily and quickly. btdt.

Most safety equipment is a pita---that's why they have to make it policy that it is worn. Otherwise, few people would wear or use it at all.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock