Started on: 05-28-2011 02:15 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Nurb432 on 05-28-2011 02:33 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
A friend of mine was given a handgun as a birthday present some years ago. The question has come up about who actually owns the weapon. When you purchase, you fill out a Form-4473 which details who originally purchased the weapon, but no paperwork was done when it was given as a present. This is in Alabama, BTW. I've done some checking online and since Alabama doesn't require purchase permits for handguns there's very little information. The original purchaser doesn't recall filling out a F-4473, but it's my understanding that's a federal requirement nationwide.

What we want to avoid is any dispute over ownership of the weapon in the future. If the only documentation was the original F-4473, there's no proof it was actually given as a present.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Get a bill of sale filled out for it. In Oklahoma their is no requirements for private party sales. No paperwork, you don't even need to know their name. I think possibly if you KNOW it is illegal for them to own a gun you are allowed to sale it to them, but good luck proving that.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Get a bill of sale filled out for it. In Oklahoma their is no requirements for private party sales. No paperwork, you don't even need to know their name. I think possibly if you KNOW it is illegal for them to own a gun you are allowed to sale it to them, but good luck proving that.

Yeah, I'm thinking a Bill of Sale at the very least, but was wondering if there was anything more "official" needed.
There's no gun registration, yet the BATF can find out who originally purchased any weapon.
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-28-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Same here. Except for the part about knowingly selling to a person that isn't allowed to have one.

If you have any police friends it wouldn't hurt to have them sign the BOS too. ( that was suggested to me ). On the BOS, be sure to get their drivers license #. Can only help if later the gun is used in a crime, as you are the last 'known' owner they will come to you.

Gun stores might do it too, for a small fee.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-28-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock