Started on: 05-24-2011 11:33 AM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Boondawg on 05-24-2011 11:49 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press Garance Burke, Associated Press – Tue May 24, 3:56 am ET

OAKLAND, Calif. – A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.

Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have."

He spoke to the media at the Oakland headquarters of his Family Radio International, which spent millions of dollars_ some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

It was not the first time Camping was forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. The 89-year-old retired civil engineer also prophesied the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Through chatting with a friend over what he acknowledged was a very difficult weekend, it dawned on him that instead of the biblical Rapture in which the faithful would be swept up to the heavens, May 21 had instead been a "spiritual" Judgment Day, which places the entire world under Christ's judgment, he said.

The globe will be completely destroyed in five months, he said, when the apocalypse comes. But because God's judgment and salvation were completed on Saturday, there's no point in continuing to warn people about it, so his network will now just play Christian music and programs until the final end on Oct. 21.

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "The fact is there is only one kind of people who will ascend into heaven ... if God has saved them they're going to be caught up."

Josh Ocasion, who works the teleprompter during Camping's live broadcasts in the group's threadbare studio sandwiched between an auto shop and a palm reader's business, said he enjoyed the production work but never fully believed the May 21 prophecy would come true.

"I thought he would show some more human decency in admitting he made a mistake," he said Monday. "We didn't really see that."

Follower Jeff Hopkins said he spent a good deal of his own retirement savings on gas money to power his car so people would see its ominous lighted sign showcasing Camping's May 21 warning. As the appointed day drew nearer, Hopkins started making the 100-mile round trip from Long Island to New York City twice a day, spending at least $15 on gas each trip.

"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my car," said Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great River, NY. "I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the face."

Camping's hands shook slightly as he pinned his microphone to his lapel, and as he clutched a worn Bible he spoke in a quivery monotone about some listeners' earthly concerns after giving away possessions in expectation of the Rapture.

Family Radio would never tell anyone what they should do with their belongings, and those who had fewer would cope, Camping said.

"We're not in the business of financial advice," he said. "We're in the business of telling people there's someone who you can maybe talk to, maybe pray to, and that's God."

But he also said that he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.

"I still have to live in a house, I still have to drive a car," he said. "What would be the value of that? If it is Judgment Day why would I give it away?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the Bible verse Matthew 24:36, "but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

Camping offered no clues about Family Radio's finances Monday, saying he could not estimate how much had been spent advertising his prediction nor how much money the nonprofit had taken in as a result. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

He is not a Christian, he is a charlatan.

<<< Christian rejecting his ideas.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-24-2011).]

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
ehh.. he's predicted wrong twice, I dont think he can get the world's panties in a bunch again. Really, I just see him as an attention whore.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 05-24-2011).]

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Jebus Christmas on a pogo stick, bouncing on a cracker. This guy is a farking nutter

Old fart needs to knock off already and stop throwing out

Some people think they have all the answers

I still say Christianity is bunk and a load of but that's my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Xerces_Blackthorne (edited 05-24-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

ehh.. he's predicted wrong twice, I dont think he can get the world's panties in a bunch again. Really, I just see him as an attention whore.

Maybe he just read the calendar wrong.....I've been told that cognitive skills are the first to go.
KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post
Seeing that this guy was a retired civil engineer, and now knowing that he has a history of getting his calculations wrong, maybe someone should go back and do a double-check on some of his work.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Jim

+1.

Just a false prophet, attention seeker, or whatever.

They could stop giving him press anytime.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
+2 False prophet the Bible warns about.
KidO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KidOSend a Private Message to KidODirect Link to This Post
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Why do they keep equating rapture with the end of the world? Even if it were to happen, the rapture doesn't mean the world comes to an end on that day.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I've been studying the issue for the better part of a decade. I know the Rapture is sooner than later.

What I don't know, and will never know, is the timing in advance of the event.

Be aware that World War II, the years between 1939 and 1945 fulfilled what is called the 4th Seal in Revelations 6.

The next event, if you believe the Bible, is foretold pretty plainly.

The thing is, that God takes His own good time. He has a schedule that none of us is a party to.

I am ready to see it, but, I'm not wasting time either.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I for one am glad for the additional five months. Perhaps I'll make some progress on the Fiero before the end comes.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
if at first you dont succeed...

and - if you've watched the "Left Behind" junk - hey - maybe it actually DID happen - and this guy is "Left Behind" just like the rest of us infidels.

+ is the easy answer

get right with the lord, you silly duckies!
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Jim

Dozens, if not hundreds, of Christian sects started off with someone saying just this.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The false prophet:

By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press Garance Burke, Associated Press – Tue May 24, 3:56 am ET

Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have." It was not the first time Camping was forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. The 89-year-old retired civil engineer also prophesied the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Apology not excepted: The scriptures alone indicate that Harold Camping is a false prophet and is misleading. If Jesus Christ doesn't know the hour-how on earth would man? Also, what about the dozen of things mentioned in the Bible that must take place FIRST before the end shall come? The 89-year old civil engineer should go back to working on engineering.
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
As soon as I heard that the end was nigh, I prayed and prayed about this.
God told me that the preacher (Camping) pizzed him off, so he gave him bad information......
At least thats what I BELIEVE God said.
Then He told me that the REAL Rapture will occur on or about January 15, 2012.
God is kind of iffy about dates and times, because He doesn't wear a watch, and he's so busy deciding the outcome of football, baseball, and NASCAR games and such that he sometimes forgets dates.
After all, He's only human.
But thats what God told ME, so I believe it, and God said it, and you can go pound sand if you disagree.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Camping offered no clues about Family Radio's finances Monday, saying he could not estimate how much had been spent advertising his prediction nor how much money the nonprofit had taken in as a result. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.

That's all we need to know. Did someone say "Charlatan?"
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Dozens, if not hundreds, of Christian sects started off with someone saying just this.

So you're implying that I'm starting a sect? OK, everybody line up. I'm starting a sect based on religion and political threads. Jazzman, no need to worry cuz you stay out of those type threads. I don't even know where you coming from with a remark like that. I've intentionally stayed out of these rapture threads because I just didn't feel the need to get involved, but I felt it important as someone who professes Christianity to at least state that this Harold Camping guy is way off base, and I get that. Wow. Please tell me I misunderstand your intent.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

That's all we need to know. Did someone say "Charlatan?"

Oooh, ooh, ooh, I did, I did.

Jim
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

If Jesus Christ doesn't know the hour-how on earth would man?

Exactly.

No, rapture does not equal the end--just the beginning of another era--tribulation.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I for one am glad for the additional five months. Perhaps I'll make some progress on the Fiero before the end comes.

If its only 5 months, maybe to buy a completed car would be better?
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

If its only 5 months, maybe to buy a completed car would be better?

I'll get a brand new 88 with zero miles when I get to heaven--I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

So you're implying that I'm starting a sect? OK, everybody line up. I'm starting a sect based on religion and political threads. Jazzman, no need to worry cuz you stay out of those type threads. I don't even know where you coming from with a remark like that. I've intentionally stayed out of these rapture threads because I just didn't feel the need to get involved, but I felt it important as someone who professes Christianity to at least state that this Harold Camping guy is way off base, and I get that. Wow. Please tell me I misunderstand your intent.

Jim

I didn't read it that way. (But then I am a bit naive at times.)

I just got that there are all sorts of different flavors of Christianity, formed because people didn't believe that the people in charge (or in this case getting all the press) were doing it right.

Me? I think the guy (Camping) is a moron at best, but more likely a charlatan. I think his 15 minutes are about up.
But then, at least he isn't trying to get us to drink Kool Aid.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'll get a brand new 88 with zero miles when I get to heaven--I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere.

Think again. I've always been taught that Heaven is pretty much a Communist system: no private property, and no need for it. Heaven transcends physical possessions.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I didn't read it that way. (But then I am a bit naive at times.)

I just got that there are all sorts of different flavors of Christianity, formed because people didn't believe that the people in charge (or in this case getting all the press) were doing it right.

Me? I think the guy (Camping) is a moron at best, but more likely a charlatan. I think his 15 minutes are about up.
But then, at least he isn't trying to get us to drink Kool Aid.

If I took it wrong, I apologize.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Think again. I've always been taught that Heaven is pretty much a Communist system: no private property, and no need for it. Heaven transcends physical possessions.

So that's why Obama wants to shift to communism. He thinks it's heavenly! I agree with Heaven trancending physical possesions, but I don't even get where you make the connection with communism or who taught you that. Communism is still an economic and political system. Heaven is neither.

Jim

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I guess he missed that part in the bible or maybe he has his own version?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Alot of sarcasm going on most of it funny. You knew we were joking right?

I was going to ask him if it would be a Formula or a GT!
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post

I've always been taught that Heaven is pretty much a Communist system: no private property, and no need for it. Heaven transcends physical possessions.

Heaven is actually a dictatorship.

The best form of government for all is a benevolent dictatorship. The problem is finding a benevolent dictator on earth.

Regarding the topic, there is no mulligan with dates. You nail it or you are out. He is out.

Edit to say he never SHOULD have been "in", because he should have known not to even set a date.

[This message has been edited by frontal lobe (edited 05-24-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-24-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Several of his followers sent him their entire live savings over the last date. Did he refund their money?

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-24-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

The best form of government for all is a benevolent dictatorship. The problem is finding a benevolent dictator on earth.

I offer my services to the world. Thank you in advance for your vote.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-24-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Since you are being *forced* to share by the dude in charge, it would be more socialist than communist.

No private possessions? Ill pass on going. I like my stuff. And its MINE.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Since you are being *forced* to share by the dude in charge, it would be more socialist than communist.

No private possessions? Ill pass on going. I like my stuff. And its MINE.

It won't be yours anymore when you're burning in Hell.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-24-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

It won't be yours anymore when you're burning in Hell.

Nah, ill pass on that outcome too. Neither are appealing to me
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Listen....I live in California about 20 minutes from Cokeland where this guy resides and this guy is nothing but an old hippie bastard with a mind that got lost in his uppers and downers in the 60's. Much like that moron and his followers during the Hail-bop comet fiasco years ago. Besides, my birthday is on October 21st so nothing bad can happen on that day

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-24-2011).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Yeh, well yet ANOTHER doomsday prediction been and gone. I NEVER get what I want for my b-day
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

This just pisses me off. What a crock.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Besides, my birthday is on October 21st so nothing bad can happen on that day

Or 2 days before that, as it's mine.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 05-24-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock