Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Should We Raise The National Debt Limit ? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Should We Raise The National Debt Limit ? by cliffw
Started on: 05-16-2011 10:10 AM
Replies: 142
Last post by: cliffw on 08-01-2011 12:43 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I say no.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Definitely not!
Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post
Its not a limit if it's raised every time it's hit........it's an inconvenient milestone.

Set limits should not be exceeded.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I don't want it raised, but man oh man, the alternative is downright scary.
Still, I would rather it happen now, to me and in my lifetime, than wait and have that alternative happen as a result of domestic/global economics in my kid's and grandkid's lifetime and adversely affect them--and make no mistake---no matter when it occurs that alternative is going to be the ultimate defintion of "adversely".
I'm just not much on passing our problems off on someone else down the line.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-16-2011).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Giving the goverment a never ending increasing debt limit is like giving a shopaholic an endless supply of money. If the money is there, they will spend it. Those elected need to stop their endless spending. They are in those office to make some hard decisions as that was why they were hired. If they are unable to make the decision, they can resign or not run for the office again. No increase now until they do some serious cutting in spending.

Start by cutting foreign aid to Pakistan and other supposed allies.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 05-16-2011).]

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Raising the ceiling
In 30 years, the national debt has gone from just under $1 trillion to $14.3 trillion, and is projected to reach just under $21 trillion by 2016. Congress has passed new debt limits over the years that allow the government to keep running, and is currently preparing to debate whether to raise the ceiling this year.

SOURCE: Office of Management and Budget, White House. GRAPHIC: Tobey/The Washington Post. Published on April 18, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

http://www.washingtonpost.c...F4E6A2D_graphic.html

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Not without some serious concessions by the ba$tards in power.
But we are doomed when the ones who messed it up believe we should trust them to fix it.
They are not serious and the taxpayer are just a good laugh to them.
Outside of mass hangings, they will never get busy fixing it.

[This message has been edited by partfiero (edited 05-16-2011).]

partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

partfiero

6923 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by Bullet:

[QUOTE]

Raising the ceiling
In 30 years, the national debt has gone from just under $1 trillion to $14.3 trillion, and is projected to reach just under $21 trillion by 2016. Congress has passed new debt limits over the years that allow the government to keep running, and is currently preparing to debate whether to raise the ceiling this year.

SOURCE: Office of Management and Budget, White House. GRAPHIC: Tobey/The Washington Post. Published on April 18, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

http://www.washingtonpost.c...F4E6A2D_graphic.html

[/QUOTE]

That looks like a wall that we cannot climb.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by partfiero:

That looks like a wall that we cannot climb.

You aren't looking at it correctly. Just concentrate on little bitty pieces of it and it's just babysteps---no problem--no problem.

"A billion here--a billion there, and pretty soon we're talkin real money"
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
No, this is just ridiculous.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
NO
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Yes.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

No.

Brad
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Can we extend it for the current budget temporarily? have it decrease by so much percent for next year?
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

You aren't looking at it correctly. Just concentrate on little bitty pieces of it and it's just babysteps---no problem--no problem.

"A billion here--a billion there, and pretty soon we're talkin real money"

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Related news:

China cuts holdings of US Treasurys for 5th month
http://finance.yahoo.com/ne...288222.html?x=0&.v=3

Treasury to tap pensions to help fund government
http://www.washingtonpost.c...G_story.html?hpid=z1
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69648 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by fierobear:

Related news:

China cuts holdings of US Treasurys for 5th month
http://finance.yahoo.com/ne...288222.html?x=0&.v=3

Treasury to tap pensions to help fund government
http://www.washingtonpost.c...G_story.html?hpid=z1

For those actually shouldering the debt burden and it's payment and service, that is bad news. For those incurring it, and encouraging it's continuation and postponement of extinction of the debt--not so much.

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
A more appropriate question might be can you afford not to raise the debt ceiling?
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Not without some serious concessions by the ba$tards in power.
But we are doomed when the ones who messed it up believe we should trust them to fix it.
They are not serious and the taxpayer are just a good laugh to them.
Outside of mass hangings, they will never get busy fixing it.

^ Exactly.

It doesn't really matter if they raise it or not. We are indeed doomed.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

A more appropriate question might be can you afford not to raise the debt ceiling?

Of course we can, just as we can afford to raise it---well, not US, but those future generations that will actually suffer the worst from it--and suffer they will, because it is always the poorest and most downtrodden who suffer from a defaut--not those with means and assets.

PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Of course we can, just as we can afford to raise it---well, not US, but those future generations that will actually suffer the worst from it--and suffer they will, because it is always the poorest and most downtrodden who suffer from a defaut--not those with means and assets.

Depends I guess if one thinks a crisis is inevitable either way. My thought is the current administration will attempt to make it to the next election with as little pain as possible and then lower the boom if a second term is achieved.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I have mixed feelings on it.

I think a recovery is possible, with long term pain. But the pain is a broken arm.
If we don't raise it, we take the pain now--but it's more like a broken spine and a few ribs, plus both arms and a leg.

I really don't know which is better. What I do know, is I'd much rather face it now and take the hit, rather than go down in history as the last generation able to hand it off.. because surely the next generation is done if we don't tackle this today.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

For those actually shouldering the debt burden and it's payment and service, that is bad news. For those incurring it, and encouraging it's continuation and postponement of extinction of the debt--not so much.

This reminds me of a line from Newt's announcement. "There are those who don't care if the country is wrecked, as long as they are on top of the wreckage."
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

We can not afford the one we have now.
From the chart posted, we have not been able to afford any that we have had since ?1979? .
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

From the chart posted, we have not been able to afford any that we have had since ?1979? .

1979, think that just happens to be the last time we built either a refinery or nuclear power plant.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

...agreed, there will come a point where the debt will be so high that the country will collapse under it's weight...
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Depends I guess if one thinks a crisis is inevitable either way. My thought is the current administration will attempt to make it to the next election with as little pain as possible and then lower the boom if a second term is achieved.

I think it is a crisis now.
By the way, this administration can not raise the debt limit. This administration has spent or borrowed (I forget which) more than all of the others in 235 years of existence.

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:
Can we extend it for the current budget temporarily?

No, we can not. Heh ... we do not have one, . The dumbocrats, when they controlled all three branches of gooberment, could not would not pass one.
I am no scholar of any sorts. I do not even know where the money is coming from, other than continuing resolutions of the last passed budget, China, you and me.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

I'm just not much on passing our problems off on someone else down the line.

A nice thought, and i concur, but really.. we already have. Many times and for a while. I still vote no. Too bad my vote has never counted before and this wont either.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:
Yes.

Why ?

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35918 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by tbone42:
Too bad my vote has never counted before and this wont either.

You have to make it count. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35918 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by theBDub:
I think a recovery is possible ...

Not me. Not with more and more spending of money we don't have happening. Which is what is going on, and will some more, with a debt ceiling increase.
I think any increase, to prevent default, should be met by equal expenditure cuts. No sense increasing the debt just to pay ever increasing interest. We need money to pay off the debt ... hello amerika ?
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

By the way, this administration can not raise the debt limit.

How do you mean?

Yup, it would be great if countries never ran any debt but sometimes it's necessary.
partfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
As long as the politicians have the ability to buy votes with taxpayer $, there is little chance of salvaging it.
In retrospect, the politician who invented this practice should of been executed, as well as everyone who has done it since.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:
A nice thought, and i concur, but really.. we already have. Many times and for a while. I still vote no. Too bad my vote has never counted before and this wont either.

Then maybe it's time to consider changing WHO you vote for? And change the choices of who we get to vote for?

Don't give up. There's too much at stake for you, me, our families, neighbors and this country.

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post
I vote no. If this country wants to solve its debt problem it needs to
legalize drugs and put a huge tax on them and also reform or cut
the welfare program.

....or zombies
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

By the way, this administration can not raise the debt limit.

How do you mean?

The "administration" refers to only one branch of our government, the Executive branch. It can propose budgets for what he wants to get done. Another branch, Congress, approves a budget recommendation and can pass willy nilly any expenditures it wants and can completely deny the administrations wish.

Yup, it would be great if countries never ran any debt but sometimes it's necessary.

I would have to say define necessary. If it would mean raising the debt ceiling every year, or even three or four times a year, as has been happening, necessary gets a second look.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35918 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tomski:
....or zombies

Tomski, I did not get around to welcoming you to the forum. I meant to.
That said, and no disrespect, zombies ?
What flavor do you like ? Repulsivecan or dumbocrat ? Just saying. The general populace on both sides of the isle are zombies.
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Tomski, I did not get around to welcoming you to the forum. I meant to.
That said, and no disrespect, zombies ?
What flavor do you like ? Repulsivecan or dumbocrat ? Just saying. The general populace on both sides of the isle are zombies.

Thanks for the welcome big guy
You could say I'm a mix of both and neither. And as for zombies....i was more talking about a
zombie apocalypse....if you think about it that would solve a lot of problems
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Why ?

Why pick my answer out?
I agree with Newf, Cheever3000 and Partfiero.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock