Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Electrical Help Needed

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


Electrical Help Needed by aceman
Started on: 05-15-2011 06:52 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: cliffw on 05-16-2011 09:26 AM
aceman
Member
Posts: 4896
From: Brooklyn Center, MN
Registered: Feb 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
My step-son just called. He lives in a mobile home. He stated that the fuse box was extremely warm and when his girlfriend touched one of the breaker switches, it immediately tripped off. I have no background in electrical issues. Does he have a short going on in his main panel? Any ideas folks?

My suggestion to him was to unplug all his expensive electrical appliances and electronics and call an electrician/handyman to come out in the morning.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1
Member
Posts: 35467
From: Orlando, Florida
Registered: Oct 2001


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Click Here to Email avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Heat means that there is a lot of resistance. This could be caused a by a bad/loose contact or something pulling a lot of load like a dead short. Definitely have an electrician check it out as it could start a fire.
IP: Logged
aceman
Member
Posts: 4896
From: Brooklyn Center, MN
Registered: Feb 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
His girlfriend said she noticed the burning smell after she started doing laundry. ( I don't know if it was while washing or drying.) She mentioned a few months ago that she was getting water through her dryer vent area. Is there possibly a connection?
IP: Logged
weloveour86se
Member
Posts: 4289
From: maine
Registered: Feb 2011


Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Have them unplug everything thats on that circuit that tripped leave it off and let it cool. One faulty breaker can cause alot of heat in a closed breaker panel.

Any idea what size the breaker that tripped is???? That will tell us alot of imformation.

This is a tough one and I'm afraid to misdiagnose anything and someone gets hurt or theres property damage. Personal safety here is tantamount.

Have him inspect and test the smoke detectors. We all should be doing so anyway. Not to freak you out its for safety.

Try to moniter the heat in the panel and determine if its cooling off any, if permissible leave the panel door open, but only is its safe. Be very cautious. Visually inspect any and all devices for external damage or signs of trouble. Check every plug, switch, and fixture involved with that circuit. Ive had a small amount of water leak through a roof and into a electrical box that caused similar issues and the lights never even went out.

Wild guess.... faulty breaker under an overload condition, ie; the breakers not tripping correctly and theres too much stuff plugged in and running on that circuit. Wild guess only tho.


IP: Logged
spark1
Member
Posts: 11159
From: Benton County, OR
Registered: Dec 2002


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Hope it’s not an old mobile home (pre-1976) built with aluminum wiring. I think some still use aluminum for large gauge wire connected to electric ranges and clothes dryers. That’s usually not a problem unless a connection becomes loose. They shouldn’t use the washer or dryer again until the wiring is checked out by an electrician.

IP: Logged
twofatguys
Member
Posts: 16465
From: Wheaton Mo. / Virginia Beach Va.
Registered: Jul 2004


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysClick Here to Email twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by spark1:

Hope it’s not an old mobile home (pre-1976) built with aluminum wiring. I think some still use aluminum for large gauge wire connected to electric ranges and clothes dryers. That’s usually not a problem unless a connection becomes loose. They shouldn’t use the washer or dryer again until the wiring is checked out by an electrician.


That's where I was going to go. Older trailers had Aluminum wiring, and any load on that would make it get hot. Get it checked out, and at the very least get the major stuff (dryer, heater, water heater) changed to the proper grade copper wiring. It's worth it.

Also, if it is an older trailer make sure all smoke detectors are working, and that the exits are not blocked. I'm a redneck, and have lower standards than most would, and I would not live in a trailer with aluminum wiring. That bizarre mixture of wiring prone to catch on fire, and windows too small to get through make me too nervous.

Brad

Edit to add: It doesn't have to be a pre 1976 trailer. If the owner put in new wiring at some point, and replaced it with aluminum.

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 05-15-2011).]

IP: Logged
Jake_Dragon
Member
Posts: 31120
From: Long Beach
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 392
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
We lost our home to a fire that started in our wash room. Not something to mess around with.
IP: Logged
cliffw
Member
Posts: 33287
From: Bandera, Texas, USA
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwClick Here to Email cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
Are the electrical outlets over loaded as with four plug adapters plugged into a normal two plug receptical ?
IP: Logged



All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock