Started on: 05-13-2011 05:33 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Danyel on 05-14-2011 11:02 AM
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

OK, I have a decent scanner, a radio shack 2052. Dual Trunking scanner.

The antenna seems to be crap however. It is a telescopic antenna, and has come loose from where it mounts.

Currently with the antenna on the scanner I pick up the police, fire, and EMT in town, but as they go out of town the transmissions get bad.

Scanner with antenna on it.

This is where the antenna breaks off (I don't think it's supposed to)

And this is the connector type.

Can I just solder a wire to where the antenna breaks off and "temporarily" fix it until I can afford an antenna?

Or could I somehow fix this one?

HELP! lol

Brad
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-13-2011 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
id just solder it up and repair what you have until you can afford to get another. Also, if you can find one in a flea market or something some older linksys wifi routers use bnc connectors.. different wavelength so not as efficient as the correct one but i bet still better then a hack job repair..

If you have a coax crimper might be able to fix it the right way...

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 05-13-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
OK, I took a piece of electrical wire, stripped the end a bit, and put it between the antenna, and the "nub" it goes on, then pressed it back on. Not permanent, and causes no long term damage.

Now I am hearing the radio traffic in a town about 30 miles away, so it has to be better...Right?

The wire goes up my wall in true redneck fashion.

Brad
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
It looks as if the connection on the back for the antenna is a BNC type connector. An appropriate antenna with that type of hookup should work, although using the wire trick does work too. You might want to look at antennas geared for the specific frequencies you are trying to receive instead of the generic telescoping type it already has. For a BNC connection, the inner (pin) connection carries the signal and the outer material (shell) is ground, so if you want to try and experiment with any of your own antenna setups, any wire connected to the pin should carry signal.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
17Car is correct that is a BNC connector and pinout is also corrrect ....

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock