Started on: 05-11-2011 11:43 PM
Replies: 50
Last post by: RandomTask on 05-15-2011 12:16 AM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

http://www.bestbeginnermoto...art-250cc-motorcycle

Top 5 Reasons to Start on a 250cc Motorcycle

The new version of Kawasaki's famous ninjette is also quite a bit more powerful than its predecessors. !

Good article, except that this one statement is incorrect. The new 250 Ninjas had their torque curve moved down in the RPM band and as such don't have as much full throttle high-RPM power. They do have more midrange torque which makes midrange acceleration better. Keep in mind that both bikes make well over 30HP, which is well over 100HP/Liter. The pregen has about 35HP at the crank from what I can find out, 140HP/Liter, which would be equivalent to a car with a 5.7L motor making 798HP. The pregen weights right at 300 lbs, giving it a power to weight ratio of 7.9lbs/HP. A 4,000 pound car with an equivalent power to weight ratio would have an engine putting out over 500 horsepower. A 250 Ninja can only be called "underpowered" when comparing it to the much bigger supersports bikes or to high-end exotic cars like Lamborghinis and Ferraris. Compared to everything else actually on the road day to day it's a rocket.
IP: Logged
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by naskie18:

Another thing that was mentioned before, but is probably worth mentioning again: Regardless of what size bike you start with, don't shy away from bikes with some damage to the cosmetics. If you buy something used that's already been dropped, (a) you'll be able to get it for a decent price and (b) you won't feel as bad the first time you drop it.

Yeah, nothing hurts more than watching $2-3k in value scatter across the parking lot in little plastic pieces due to a newbie drop. New riders always think they'll be the exception and never drop their bike. I bought mine pre-dropped and dropped it twice, one low-speed in grass and one no-speed in gravel (kickstand found a soft spot). Bike didn't lose any value because the damage from the drops only affected bits already damaged by the PO. The only other wreck was getting hit head-on by a truck at about 10-15mph, their fault, insurance settlement paid for all new parts and paint. Because I fixed everything the bike is now worth quite a bit more than I paid for it, 27,000 miles and two years later.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
One blatant lie in that article that can't be chalked up to opinion is that 250's get 2-3 times the mileage that bigger bikes get. No way in hell does a Ninja 250 get 90-135mpg. I stopped reading after that. Everyone always says if you get a 600+ you'll turn into a ragdoll hanging on for dear life to a runaway rocket aimed straight for nuns and school children. If you are that incompetent, stay off the road, regardless of bike you choose to get.
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillDirect Link to This Post
I have no clue of the power differences between a 250cc and a 600cc. would it be right to compare them as the difference between a 250hp car and a 600hp car?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

From what I see, definitely stay away from the 750cc+ range, as that would be like trying to learn on a SC mustang or other high HP vehicle. 600cc, would be like trying to learn clutch on a 3800 fiero, where 250 would be like learning on a stock 2.8/2.5(just throwing out examples as I see fit, I know bikes are a complete different beast).

My first real experience with manual was a 10-speed Eaton Fuller tied to a diesel engine putting out over 1200 ft-lbs of torque... it didn't end well.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post

I have no clue of the power differences between a 250cc and a 600cc. would it be right to compare them as the difference between a 250hp car and a 600hp car?

No...250's are slow. Someone on here said their Ninja 250 took 5 seconds to go from 70 to 80 mph. My 3300lb truck is faster than that w/o even trying...

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Power gets you out of trouble! Its been proven time and time again. You start to hy side a 250 and you are done for. On a 600 you can pin that mofo and get it back. A 250 will get you into trouble quicker than a big bike. Gawd this is frustrating.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

No. Horsepower and cc's are apples and oranges. More cc's will give you horsepower but there is a weight to horsepower factor to consider.
A better comparison would be similar to a 250 being like a small 4cyl car, a 600 being like a V6, and a larger bike like a V8.

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:
No...250's are slow. Someone on here said their Ninja 250 took 5 seconds to go from 70 to 80 mph. My 3300lb truck is faster than that w/o even trying...

I agree. First because 250's are slow. Fast enough some claim. Granted, they night be fast enough but you have to strain the engine ... ie drive hard to go that speed. The 250, is a beginners bike, or just an econo ride, more designed for around town riding. Muck like a scooter such as this (except with more flair) ... this
My first bike was a brand new Kawasaki Spectra 750. Bought expressly so I would not have to upgrade later when I got tired of a small bike.
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Power gets you out of trouble! Its been proven time and time again. You start to hy side a 250 and you are done for. On a 600 you can pin that mofo and get it back. A 250 will get you into trouble quicker than a big bike. Gawd this is frustrating.

You do not crank the throttle back to regain control of a highside. That is why you are likely in the beginning of a highside, too much rear throttle and the rear tire breaks loose in a turn. Granted there are other ways to highside but that is the most common way. The odds of highsiding a 250 due to this problem are slim to none.

My first bike was a 250. I had it for a couple of years and for me it was fine. I never felt I needed more power to get out of a problem although I'm sure there are scenarios where it might be helpful. There were mistakes I made on the 250 even after taking the MSF course that had I been on a 600cc or bigger bike I likely would have laid the bike down.

And no a 250 will not get you into trouble quicker than a 600cc+ bike will. That is just not true. Power can get you out of trouble but those times are few and far between. Like I said I never encountered one in 2 years on my 250. A 600 will get a newbie into trouble way faster than a 250 even if you aren't riding like a retard and have taken the appropriate safety courses to prep yourself. Mistakes happen. You'll learn from your mistakes whether you are on a 250 or a 1200cc super sport. The difference is you are alot less likely to drop your bike when you make them on a 250.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:
Someone on here said their Ninja 250 took 5 seconds to go from 70 to 80 mph.

To be fair, that same someone also mentioned that he had to re-gear, put a different sprocket on his 250, so it could cruise highway speeds. That affected his power curve.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Amount of bad info in this thread is insane.

OP - Get what you like. I've ridden all. If all you wanna do is commute and be on 2, get a 250; its just simple. If you have friends that you ride with or want to cruise with others, the 250 will get old, fast.

I currently have an '07 CBR600RR, great all around bike. Small, light, good gas mileage. (around 45mpg). Its fun and can be thrown around really easily as most modern 600's can. Wheel will come off the ground in 1st and I can get the front end up in third. Faster than a buddies SV1000. Having been riding for a while, even though its a very fast 600, I want to get back on a 1 liter (had a ZX10R, looking to get a BMW S1000R) which i would NOT recommend for a 1st bike. 1L's make for crappy riders.

This whole crap about 'you can ride a 250 to its limits, not others' is people trying to justify them being scared on larger bikes. Get what you like, I'd recommend a 600, awesomely well rounded bike.

I'm looking a BMW S1000R for a next bike.

[This message has been edited by RandomTask (edited 05-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay