SGU by matt 84 2m4
Started on: 05-10-2011 07:57 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: fierobear on 05-15-2011 06:38 PM
matt 84 2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for matt 84 2m4Send a Private Message to matt 84 2m4Direct Link to This Post
So did anyone watch the last few episodes? did you like where the show was finally going?
I sure was now its cancelled just like sga sg1 wth is going on with scifi it use to have good shows now all you get is crap hunters and guys touching eachother in a ring.
eureka is a good show but the seasons are way to short, bsg, caprica where really good but they where canceled its really sucks to see the stargate franchise die like this im very sad rightnow, havent they done this before canceled stargate and then bring it bace the next season?
sorry just ranting Im a scifi nut and have no new shows or movies to watch it sucks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by matt 84 2m4:

So did anyone watch the last few episodes? did you like where the show was finally going?
I sure was now its cancelled just like sga sg1 wth is going on with scifi it use to have good shows now all you get is crap hunters and guys touching eachother in a ring.
eureka is a good show but the seasons are way to short, bsg, caprica where really good but they where canceled its really sucks to see the stargate franchise die like this im very sad rightnow, havent they done this before canceled stargate and then bring it bace the next season?
sorry just ranting Im a scifi nut and have no new shows or movies to watch it sucks.

I thought you meant the Skeptics Guide to the Universe.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-10-2011 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
Warehouse 13 was pretty unique and interesting, but not good enough to bring me back to that wasteland of a channel and trust them to continue.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Its sad that SGU had to be cancelled. The first season was rough, as I feel it lacked direction and was trying too hard to be "edgy" and capture the BSG crowd. But by Season 2, they had ditched the pointless sex scenes, switched to true character development and had built a really solid plot. This last season was just plain kick-ass and its a shame that SyFy couldn't see how great the show had become. As a Sci-Fi fan I'm saddened that SyFy has abandoned its roots in favor of Ghost Hunting, Wrestling and self-produced crap movies. OTOH, at least they changed their name, to be still named "SciFi" would be an insult.

In regard to the Season Finale that they chose to call a Series Finale, I thought it was good. I like Eli coming to the realization that he is truly the brains behind Destiny after all. Its sad that they had to end it in a Cliffhanger. I would hope for a straight-to-DVD movie to wrap things up like they did with SG1, but with MGM's looming bankruptcy, I'm fairly certain its not going to happen.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I feel like the TV era's almost over, turn off the tv and stop turning it back on. I'd done with watching shows that get canned, and I hate what's 'popular'. pseudo celebs and all that...

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
You guys pretty much said it all. Slow start, but SGU got REALLY good this year. Ending on a cliffhanger was s***. SyFy is a wasteland.

There was some talk about other networks picking up the show, or a movie or two, but evidently the entire Stargate franchise is on ice for the foreseeable future. This REALLY sucks, and I'm bummed.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

evidently the entire Stargate franchise is on ice for the foreseeable future. This REALLY sucks, and I'm bummed.

Yeah, MGM is in dires straights. They've shelved the next SG1 movie they had planned, as well as the SGA movie. Heck, the Red Dawn remake is already filmed and edited, and supposedly only lacks a proper soundtrack but MGM shelved it due to lack of funds. Seems like quite a waste, to me. Completely film and edit a major summer blockbuster but shelve it for lack of soundtrack. WTF?! SyFy was the only thing keeping SGU alive, MGM can't afford to produce it on their own.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 05-11-2011).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yeah....I'm still bummed about Caprica....
but - they did blow it with the endlessly foot dragging first episodes. they really needed to move along earlier.

yes, SGU did "pick it up" in the 2nd season. but - I really had a hard time liking ANY characters. no mater what - it always seemed the characters would make the stupidest possible choices. maybe they were trying to make it more real life?

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
http://www.cracked.com/funny-5398-syfy-channel/

I hate that disaster of a channel now...
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5398-syfy-channel/

I hate that disaster of a channel now...

Great stuff!

I think I'd rather watch Oprah's "OWN" network than SyFy, now. Yeah, the channel *is* a disaster.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to an "open letter" from an official at SyFy to the fans of SGU. What he said seems sincere and seems to make sense.

http://www.gateworld.net/ne...gate-fans-from-syfy/
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
interesting. I didn't want it on TV, I watched it on Hulu. I wonder if those numbers are part of their calculations?
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

interesting. I didn't want it on TV, I watched it on Hulu. I wonder if those numbers are part of their calculations?

Nope. That's actually part of the problem. I watched it on DVR. I hardly watch anything live any more. But, of course, unless you're a Neilsen home, it doesn't really matter because you're not actually counted.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Here is a link to an "open letter" from an official at SyFy to the fans of SGU. What he said seems sincere and seems to make sense.

Joseph Mallozzi responds to "Open Letter to Stargate fans from SyFy"

I've copied this bit from Joseph Mallozzi's blog post so you don't have to read all the non-SG stuff. He tends to write really long incoherent posts that ramble on. Mr. Mallozzi should have made this a stand alone post so I've saved him the work and put it here for the fans to read. Enjoy, TheDudeDeanMailbag:

BoltBait writes: “Any comment on this? "An Open Letter to Stargate Fans from Syfy"

Answer: Back in the last few years of Stargate, I took to giving the network notes on their notes. Essentially, I would go through the notes, address the concerns I could, then specifically respond to ones I couldn’t do or felt I shouldn’t do. As I read this article, I felt like responding in similar fashion. A lot of good points are raised. On the other hand, a lot of baffling points are made as well. For starters, I don’t think an official explanation on the part of SyFy is necessary. While I can empathize with fans who object to the abruptness of the cancellation after ten years on the network, one has to understand that television is a business. If SyFy has alternate scripted programming that performs better on Mondays or Tuesdays in the fall, then it’s understandable why they would choose those shows over a third season of SGU. That said, certain statements in the article had me scratching my head…

“When MGM decided to bring Stargate Atlantis to an end after five seasons…”

Hmmmm. Not to belabor the point (because I have discussed this in past entries) but, at the time, when we asked the studio whether or not there was any interest on their part in producing a sixth season of Atlantis, I was told that, while the increased budget made a season six less attractive for them, there were other reasons to do it (ie. as a lead-in to the new series). I wasn’t privy to the final decision-making process so it’s possible that the studio had an 11th hour change of heart – but I’m not sure why they would have.

“Because Stargate SG-1 and had performed so well for us in the past, we felt confident about SGU and committed to a two-season deal for it, as long as the show met certain milestones along the way. Two-season deals are rare in the TV world because they tie up a huge amount of investment (both time and money), but our great track record with MGM and Stargate made this seem like as much of a sure thing as you’ll get in the TV business. That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.”

Craig rightly points out that the second year pick-up was contingent on the show’s first season meeting “certain milestones”. Which makes the last sentence: “That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.” somewhat debatable – unless he’s suggesting that the network was insanely optimistic at the time. If the first season had not met the milestones set forth in the original deal, there would have been no guarantee of a second season pick-up.

“The show quickly moved forward and officially launched on October 2, 2009. The debut was watched by a good if not spectacular 2,779,000 viewers. To give that some perspective, Stargate Atlantis debuted with over 4 million viewers, soSGU was more than 25% below that.”

File this one under baffling. Comparing the SGA premiere to the SGU premiere overlooks is grossly unfair. First – Atlantis premiered during the summer while Universe – originally slated for a summer premiere – premiered in the much more competitive fall. Second the time between the two premiere has seen a significant increase in DVR usage and internet downloads, and a simultaneous erosion in live viewership. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don’t think so. Simply put, back when Atlantis aired, fewer viewers were recording or downloading television and many more were watching television live.

“With untenably low numbers and no sign of growth on Fridays where it had now lost 1/3 of its initial audience, we decided to move SGU for its second season. We’d had tremendous success on Tuesday’s with our breakout hit Warehouse 13, so we paired SGU with Caprica and moved them to Tuesdays, hoping to introduce both shows to a new audience.”

Sigh. Okay, look – while I understood (and supported) the move to Tuesday night and the pairing with Caprica, I nevertheless take exception to the assertion that the network had enjoyed “tremendous success on Tuesday’s with [their] breakout hit Warehouse 13″. While Warehouse 13 certainly aired on Tuesdays, it did so in the summer (where, I’d like to reiterate, SGU was originally scheduled to air).

“We moved the final 10 episodes of SGU to Monday nights where we’d just had success with a new show called Being Human, but the ratings remained flat.”

Okay but, realistically, the series had already been canceled so I’m not sure how much reasonable audience growth could be expected at that point.

Like I said – television is a business and decisions are driven by the bottom line. All the same, we were on the network for ten years. When my last relationship ended after 10+ years, we enjoyed a nice post break-up wrap-up dinner. Just saying.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/save-stargate-universe/joseph-mallozzis-retort-to-craig-englers-open-letter-to-stargate-fans/210621032305923
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I got one step ahead of them, and canceled TV.

BTW, there's plenty of sci-fi to watch on Hulu and Netflix.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-15-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

We farscape fans did something similar, but you see what it got us.. ( well, we did get one final gasp of air as a "movie".. but they never considered restarting the series ).

Didn't even bother signing any petitions for Caprica.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, when Farscape was abruptly canceled (and "finished" on a sour note), that really pissed me off. Since then, it seems the SciFi Channel (now SyFy) has honed the "build up a series until people love it, and then can it" tactic into a fine art. It's almost as if they're intentionally spiting their viewers. Well, this viewer decided to spite them. Adios, pendejos!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yeah, when Farscape was abruptly canceled (and "finished" on a sour note), that really pissed me off. Since then, it seems the SciFi Channel (now SyFy) has honed the "build up a series until people love it, and then can it" tactic into a fine art. It's almost as if they're intentionally spiting their viewers. Well, this viewer decided to spite them. Adios, pendejos!

I realize i was a big fan of it so i'm a bit biased, but i do think what they did to farscape was the beginning of the end for the channel and paved the way for their future handling of their shows. I pretty much stopped watching after that, until caprica came along hoping that perhaps they had changed.. but no, i got a stick in the eye again. Anything else i see on there is just in passing during channel surfing. I will NOT go out of my way to see what they are showing.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Some good new info from Joseph Malozzi's blog.

Possible resolutions to the ending:
May 12, 2011: Stargate: Universe, Beyond Season 2! What Might Have Been!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock