Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Putting music from my computer onto an Ipod?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Putting music from my computer onto an Ipod? by 84fiero123
Started on: 05-07-2011 03:33 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: loafer87gt on 05-08-2011 11:04 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Is it possible to put music from my computer, MP3’s, and put CD music from a CD to my computer and then to the ipod.

First of all I have no ipod capabilities on my computer so is there anything I have download? And just where do I get the stuff I need obviously?

Thanks ahead of time.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Well, you will need Itunes unless you are running ipod linux. Put your cd in your pc then go to windows media player and there will be a option to rip the cd to your hard drive. Copy the music you want and paste into your itunes library and then transfer.
How to Rip CD

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 05-07-2011).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
iTunes also will rip CDs. iTunes is also a good way to keep up your music library. It's a good idea to keep all the music on your hard drive organized. I have one directory called "music", with subfolders for each artist and subfolders in each artists's directory for each album. Add the stuff to iTunes from those directories, because iTunes keeps track of where you have the music on the hard drive. It is basically a fancy database program. You can also "tag" the music if in mp3 format with stuff like catagories (Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Country, etc.)
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

iTunes also will rip CDs.

I just learned something. I never used Itunes longer than I had to . Disregard my last post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Not wanting to hi-jack your thread, but how can you copy songs from You tube video onto a CD? I have several videos on You tube that I play, but the songs aren't available.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread, but how can you copy songs from You tube video onto a CD? I have several videos on You tube that I play, but the songs aren't available.

http://www.google.com/#scli...&fp=a316b5cdb3fe9040

http://www.effectmatrix.com...nload_tool/index.htm

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 05-07-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I use a Firefox extension ' download helper'.

If you have an older ipod ( pre touch ) you don't have to use itunes, but if all you are doing is using it to copy songs to the device, its not a big deal so might as well use the 'native' application. ( not fond of itunes myself, but its what you use if you have a portable ideivice )
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

iTunes also will rip CDs. iTunes is also a good way to keep up your music library. It's a good idea to keep all the music on your hard drive organized. I have one directory called "music", with subfolders for each artist and subfolders in each artists's directory for each album. Add the stuff to iTunes from those directories, because iTunes keeps track of where you have the music on the hard drive. It is basically a fancy database program. You can also "tag" the music if in mp3 format with stuff like catagories (Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Country, etc.)

I never liked the fact that if you let it manage your stuff, it makes a a 2nd copy of everything locally.. Myself i have a external drive i have music on, and its unplugged. Didn't want a 'local copy' too and waste space. So i don't let it 'manage' my music and use it as a simple copy to device
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Is it possible to put music from my computer, MP3’s, and put CD music from a CD to my computer and then to the ipod.

First of all I have no ipod capabilities on my computer so is there anything I have download? And just where do I get the stuff I need obviously?

Thanks ahead of time.

Steve

Is it an actual Apple iPod, or just a generic MP3 player? Some people refer to them all as iPods.

Al I have is a generic MP3 player, mucho cheaper, and Windows Media Player (WiMP) is all you need for that. Rips Cd's, downloads to MP3 player, etc.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Is it an actual Apple iPod, or just a generic MP3 player? Some people refer to them all as iPods.

Al I have is a generic MP3 player, mucho cheaper, and Windows Media Player (WiMP) is all you need for that. Rips Cd's, downloads to MP3 player, etc.

Oh it’s an ipod. That is the problem. Amanda has an MP3 player and we put music on that from our computer. A disc came with it when we go it so I put that in the computer but the ipod is not recognized when I plug it in.

So I thought maybe I could just download a program that would allow me to put their CD’s into their ipods. My grandsons taste in music is not any of my old rock.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Oh it’s an ipod. That is the problem. Amanda has an MP3 player and we put music on that from our computer. A disc came with it when we go it so I put that in the computer but the ipod is not recognized when I plug it in.

So I thought maybe I could just download a program that would allow me to put their CD’s into their ipods. My grandsons taste in music is not any of my old rock.

Steve

http://www.ephpod.com/ works with older ipods and doesn't require you to 'register' the ipod to your PC. I used it until i got a touch.

If its a newer ipod it wont be 'recognized' as a drive like your generic MP3 player does. You have to use an application to talk to it. ( ya its a pita but its the way it is. i think it has to do with requirements of record labels against apple so you cant buy a song then copy it off easily.. )
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

I never liked the fact that if you let it manage your stuff, it makes a a 2nd copy of everything locally.. Myself i have a external drive i have music on, and its unplugged. Didn't want a 'local copy' too and waste space. So i don't let it 'manage' my music and use it as a simple copy to device

I just drag stuff into iTunes from a window of the directory where the music is kept. Let's say I want to add Led Zeppelin's album "in through the out door". I drag the files from that directory into the iTunes window, it adds the songs to the library, and just remembers where *I* put the music. If you rip the music in iTunes, it will go into the default iTunes folder and create a folder for whatever you ripped. I have an "iTunes" folder inside my music folder.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I have an "iTunes" folder inside my music folder.

Right, full of music taking up space I'm wanting to conserve space on my desktop is why i don't let it manage my music for me ( but i do lose features like automatic albumart )
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Right, full of music taking up space I'm wanting to conserve space on my desktop is why i don't let it manage my music for me ( but i do lose features like automatic albumart )

I'm not sure what you mean my having iTunes "manage your music". And I store all my music on a 3rd hard drive.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I'm not sure what you mean my having iTunes "manage your music". And I store all my music on a 3rd hard drive.

its a setting on each device you register with itunes:

miketria

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for miketriaSend a Private Message to miketriaDirect Link to This Post
Try sharepod. Simple, yet effective.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

its a setting on each device you register with itunes:

What is it *doing* that you don't like that can't be solved my manually managing the music?

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 05-07-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by miketria:

I was going to suggest "idump", which lets you back up all your iPod files onto the hard drive, but this program you posted looks even better. Good find.

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

What is it *doing* that you don't like that can't be solved my manually managing the music?

Like i mentioned, the major thing is making the 2nd copy of all my music and wasting space.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by miketria:

Dern, its windows only.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Like i mentioned, the major thing is making the 2nd copy of all my music and wasting space.

Ah, OK. It doesn't do that on my system. I don't know why it would.

PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Anyone else having problems with iTunes being a resource hog? I had to take it out of start-up on my wife’s computer (Windows 7 laptop) because it was taking over ten minutes to load and slowed everything else down after that. Googled “iTunes resource hog” and see that many others are having the same problem.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Steve,

Give the latest version of WinAmp a go. It's free, and works great for ripping CD's to Mp3s and copying files / playlists to your Ipod. I just whiped iTunes from my Mom's laptop this morning and installed this program, and it works so much better and is very easy to use. Just insert your music CD and click "rip to MP3", and then once the files are added to your library right click and hit "Send to Ipod".

And did I mention it's free?

http://www.winamp.com/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock