Started on: 05-01-2011 08:07 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: avengador1 on 05-02-2011 11:08 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Click on link to see them all.
http://www.businessinsider....-screwed-2011-5?op=1

In the past few weeks, members of both political parties have finally introduced plans to save America.

And it's about time.

Because the country's finances are a horrowshow.

Unfortunately, because our leaders are still pretending that we can have it all, Americans haven't yet clued into the fact that the only answer is BOTH higher taxes AND less spending.

In other words, kicking our debt and deficit problem is going to be painful. And everyone's going to pay.

Mary Meeker of Kleiner Perkins recently published an excellent analysis of the financial condition of the United States. The presentation shows how big our problem is, and what we're going to have to do to solve it.

The presentation shows that we spend a lot on Education and Defense, but that isn't the real problem. The real problem is Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid (especially Medicare and Medicaid). These programs are wildly more expensive than any other budget items, and they're also growing like weeds.

As Mary's charts show, there's almost no chance that we can "grow our way out of the problem."

To fix this problem, we must cut Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security spending (or, at the very least, cut spending growth). And, yes, we're also going to have to whack Defense and other spending. And we're going to have to raise taxes.

Don't believe us? See for yourself.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I didn't look at the link, but it's about time for reality to sink in.
Zeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Reality sunk in a long time ago for you and me, carnut. It still hasn't sunk in for our elected officials.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Reality sunk in a long time ago for you and me, carnut. It still hasn't sunk in for our elected officials.

I'm with you on that Zeb. Avengador1 must be speechless with you and I agreeing with him??

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-02-2011).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It is what it is!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock