Started on: 04-23-2011 11:19 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 04-25-2011 06:06 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Now isn't that something. Talk about somebody not doing a back ground & finger print checks. If the person's identity was stolen wouldn't that mean IRS would have two W2s?

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – For years, the man known as Rafael Espinoza was widely respected as an exemplary police officer who was popular among his peers in Alaska's largest city.

All that ended this week when authorities discovered he was really Mexican national Rafael Mora-Lopez, who was in the U.S. illegally and stole another man's identity, officials charged.

"His reputation here is one of a hard-working officer, one who was very professional," Anchorage Police Chief Mark Mew said Friday at a news conference announcing Mora-Lopez's arrest. "The problem, obviously, is he is not Rafael Espinoza."

Soon after the announcement, Mora-Lopez appeared in U.S. District Court in Anchorage and pleaded not guilty to a charge of passport fraud, which carries a maximum 10-year sentence. At his arraignment, Mora-Lopez told a federal magistrate he is 47, even though officials listed his age as 51.

His attorney, Alan Dayan, declined to comment to The Associated Press.

Federal agents processing a renewal request for his passport discovered the alleged fraud. He was arrested Thursday after authorities searched his home and found documents confirming his true identity, officials said.

Mora-Lopez had been employed as an Anchorage police officer since 2005 under the assumed name. Police and federal prosecutors said he doesn't have a criminal record.

"We have no evidence that this individual had at the time been anything other than a good police officer," Karen Loeffler, U.S. Attorney in Alaska said.

The real Rafael Espinoza is a U.S. citizen who lives outside Alaska.

Officials said it's too soon to gauge implications of the case, such as any fallout over Mora-Lopez's court testimony in past criminal trials. Authorities released limited details, saying the case was still unfolding.

Mew said the department conducted a pre-employment criminal background check on Mora-Lopez and he also passed a polygraph test. A national fingerprint check also turned up empty.

The arrest was a "bitter pill to swallow" for many in the police department, Mew said.

There are no immediate plans to file state charges, said John Skidmore, a state attorney. He and other officials stressed that the case was still under investigation.

"At this time, we have no reason to believe, from what we know so far, that this gentleman or this officer's good work for APD has in any way been compromised or questioned," Skidmore said.

U.S. Magistrate John D. Roberts set bond at $50,000, and ordered Mora-Lopez to home-confinement and electronic monitoring. His defense attorney told the magistrate that Mora-Lopez has a wife and child in Alaska and has close ties to Anchorage, where he has lived since the late 1980s.

"He's not going anywhere," Dayan said.

The wife could not be reached by phone for comment Friday.

The passport fraud case is similar to one involving a Mexican national who took the identity of a dead cousin who was a U.S. citizen in order to become a Milwaukee police officer. Oscar Ayala-Cornejo was deported to Mexico in 2007.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/...al_immigrant_officer

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
More birther nonsense. What does it matter?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
They should over turn every one of his cases and refund/release every case he ever worked on. Alaska should be held accountable for this. They have been employing an illegal alien (Not an Immigrant) and as you know that is against the law. I think the Feds should also go after Alaska and make an example out of them. Heck if nothing else it will generate revenue.
An example should to be made.

Now about Rafael Mora-Lopez I'm pretty sure after Alaska has its collective ass handed to it they will be more than willing to get their pound of flesh from Rafael Mora-Lopez.

This is one of the top crimes you can do. Not only did he steal someone else's identity he stole the public trust. The same trust that he swore to uphold. He should be put in jail next to those that he would pass judgment on.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Alaska is only implementing amnesty ahead of the Federal timeline and they're just pissed...

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 04-24-2011).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
I understand that many people have a huge racial prejudice against illegal immigrants of Latin decent. There are quite a few Canadians in the United States living and working illegally, but since they are "white", people don't care about them.

Ok. So you had an Illegal Immigrant that was busted for identity fraud. The dude will go to jail or be deported.

But Identity fraud and theft happens to millions of people for which most are not because of illegal immigrants trying to earn a living and feeding their families and escaping the brutally violent and corrupt country they are fleeing from.

No. Most identity fraud happens to be white collar criminals who happen to be Anglo Saxon.

There are true intention criminals and there are people who happen to be criminals due to the actions they took in order to provide a meal to a starving family.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I understand that many people have a huge racial prejudice against illegal immigrants of Latin decent. There are quite a few Canadians in the United States living and working illegally, but since they are "white", people don't care about them.

Ok. So you had an Illegal Immigrant that was busted for identity fraud. The dude will go to jail or be deported.

But Identity fraud and theft happens to millions of people for which most are not because of illegal immigrants trying to earn a living and feeding their families and escaping the brutally violent and corrupt country they are fleeing from.

No. Most identity fraud happens to be white collar criminals who happen to be Anglo Saxon.

There are true intention criminals and there are people who happen to be criminals due to the actions they took in order to provide a meal to a starving family.

He broke the law. If he was from Canada it would still be the same law.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

More birther nonsense. What does it matter?

What does it matter? Laws were broken. That's why it matters.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

I'm sorry but "good Intent" does not negate that they committed fraud and are a criminal. "Intent" can be considered at time of sentencing, but they still committed a crime and should be tried, convicted and held accountable like any other criminal.

EDIT: and yes, i would do it too if i had no other way to feed/clothe my family and was turned away from any 'help' out there ( like churches, or a food pantry ). But i would fully expect to be caught and pay for my transgressions as i broke the law.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-24-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by madcurl:

Now isn't that something. Talk about somebody not doing a back ground & finger print checks. If the person's identity was stolen wouldn't that mean IRS would have two W2s?

Sure they would, but have you ever worked 2 jobs before? You get a W2 from each. I don't think working 2 ( or 3 ) jobs is an automatic red flag for the IRS. 5 or 6 might be...
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
He was just dong a job Americans don't want to do.
About the whole, "you're racist" issue. BS I don't want a Canadian pretending to be a cop either. Get real. There's plenty of Polish illegals around where I live and I don't want them here either.
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

He was just dong a job Americans don't want to do.

Sarcasm?
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

What does it matter? Laws were broken. That's why it matters.

It was sarchasm.
If it's political racism to question the citizenship of our President, then it's political racism to question Espinoza as well.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
lol ya sarcasm. Because people line up for a shot to be a police officer here. I'm sure it's no different anywhere else.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
Throw his illegal ass in jail, confiscate all his wealth acquired from this fraud. Then send him down to sherrif Joe.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It was sarchasm.
If it's political racism to question the citizenship of our President, then it's political racism to question Espinoza as well.

Blah, i have been bit by that at least 3 times today.. We really need that 'sarcasm delimiter' so the post turns pink or something for slow people like me.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Throw his illegal ass in jail, confiscate all his wealth acquired from this fraud. Then send him down to sherrif Joe.

i totally agree, but the bigger problem is what do you do with his 'history'.. people were arrested ( and I'm sure some jailed or at least fined ) by a criminal who had no legal authority to do it.. That is harder to deal with then just getting him off the scene.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Blah, i have been bit by that at least 3 times today.. We really need that 'sarcasm delimiter' so the post turns pink or something for slow people like me.

On another forum I use they always use teal for sarcasm.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

i totally agree, but the bigger problem is what do you do with his 'history'.. people were arrested ( and I'm sure some jailed or at least fined ) by a criminal who had no legal authority to do it.. That is harder to deal with then just getting him off the scene.

Yup, that is some tough luck. Maybe they will do a background check next time.
RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure the arresting officers were teary eyed, I dont see that immigrant as a threat, thats just my OPINION.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Yup, that is some tough luck. Maybe they will do a background check next time.

That would be racist. The Obama Justice Department will sue to prevent that from happening.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Sure they would, but have you ever worked 2 jobs before? You get a W2 from each. I don't think working 2 ( or 3 ) jobs is an automatic red flag for the IRS. 5 or 6 might be...

Two or more W2's is not a red flag to the IRS. Two W2's from completely different states IS. I live in New Jersey, If I get (and I have) simulatneous W2's from employers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, nobody cares. If I get simultaneous W2's from New Jersey and Alaska, a flag SHOULD go up. Particularly if it goes on for years. Yes, you can all concieve of situations where that's perfectly legal. But highly unlikely. My point is that the IRS is suspicious of these things, knows something's wrong, and does not investigate.
PFF
System Bot
RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
Cant beleive it

[This message has been edited by RenegadeShadow (edited 04-25-2011).]

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
how did they "discover" his citizen status? oh, the identity theft? that took a long time... lol.

[This message has been edited by ghost187x (edited 04-25-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Why did you bring racism into this? Not sure what it has to do with anything
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

Why did you bring racism into this? Not sure what it has to do with anything

Yeah I do not think it is relevant.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

"We have no evidence that this individual had at the time been anything other than a good police officer," Karen Loeffler, U.S. Attorney in Alaska said.

Wow! That’s a stretch. That's like placing the carriage in front of the horse. Alaska has a corrupt cop on the force who knowing, willingly, and continued to committing identity crimes since 1995.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-25-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I say they make him President.

Sarcasm color?

Brad

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I say they make him President.

Sarcasm color?

Brad

Nicely done.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
He will probably get put back to work after getting a fast track to citizenship
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes...awful crime of being born to the wrong mother.....

who can stop this madness?! all these people existing on thew wrong sides of imaginary lines! OMG!

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 04-25-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Uh no, awful crime of pretending to be someone you are not and use their identity for your own gain.
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

He will probably get put back to work after getting a fast track to citizenship

Hopefully not. Illegal is illegal. I didn't see anything that indicated his police training and certification, so I assume he used his stolen ID to get through police academy. If that's the case I think he should spend a few years behind bars for impersonating a police officer before they deport him. That's what I don't get, the line starts at the border and line jumpers should be sent to the end of the line.

Note: Sarcasm purple wasn't lost on me at all, though it obviously gives some people a woody to think I'm stupid and ignorant. All I have to say is, spank away, just don't get any on me...

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-26-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Hopefully not. Illegal is illegal. I didn't see anything that indicated his police training and certification, so I assume he used his stolen ID to get through police academy. If that's the case I think he should spend a few years behind bars for impersonating a police officer before they deport him. That's what I don't get, the line starts at the border and line jumpers should be sent to the end of the line.

Sarcasm color is lost on some people.

Brad
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Sarcasm color is lost on some people.

Brad

lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock