Started on: 04-22-2011 08:10 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 04-25-2011 01:14 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
How to properly clear the fast lane and put the person in the lane they belong.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Great way to do it.. BUT unless someone wants to listen to 1:07 of useless swearing, may as well leave the sound off.

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Awesome.
8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
That is hilarious!
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I drive this Crown Vic for work, and lots of times people just clear the fast lane when I come up on them. But other times the whole darn freeway slows to 63 MPH and I get stuck in a group of slow moving cars. Times like those I can understand why this officer got annoyed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 04-22-2011).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Identical to what I was involved in on the way to the Tyler build, except the highway patrol officer took the left lane bandit all the way to right for a traffic stop.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how "fast" that person was going.... If it was the speed limit, then nothing wrong, but they should have pulled over anyway.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
That. Is. AWESOME!!!
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I wonder how "fast" that person was going.... If it was the speed limit, then nothing wrong, but they should have pulled over anyway.

In New Jersey we have a "Keep right except to pass" law. No cruising in the left lane, just passing.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
If going the speed limit, I think there is enough traffic to justify being in the left lane. I don't like gettin stuck behind someone in the left lane doing the limit but I have no right to complain about someone breaking the law.
If going the speed limit, I don't like the fact that the cop is speeding.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
They are going to pass a law here in Florida to eliminate left lane hogs. You will be required to move from the left lane, even if you are doing the speed limit, if someone wants to get past you. The law is meant to help cut down on road rage and to help keep traffic flowing.
Common courtesy would dictate than one should pass left and drive right, not stay on the left lane blocking the flow of traffic, even if one is doing the speed limit. That is just being plain rude.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

They are going to pass a law here in Florida to eliminate left lane hogs. You will be required to move from the left lane, even if you are doing the speed limit, if someone wants to get past you. The law is meant to help cut down on road rage and to help keep traffic flowing.
Common courtesy would dictate than one should pass left and drive right, not stay on the left lane blocking the flow of traffic, even if one is doing the speed limit. That is just being plain rude.

How long have you lived in Florida? Our roads are so packed that most of the time there will be no way to enforce these laws.

What is a shame is the arrogance that someone behind you is just that and if they toot the horn then they are insulting you not asking you to move out of the way.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

They passed that law here in IL. Think it worked? NOPE.
Same thing here with congestion. Should I have to squeeze in and tailgate and be tailgated in the center lane and leave the left lane open for some ******* ??
I am passing in the left lane at 75. The center lane is going 65. The speed limit is 55. I have to get out of the way for the guy who wants to go 85? He can pass me when I'm done passing, which with chicago traffic may not happen until I need to exit.
The preceding is all hypothetical I would never knowing exceed the posting speed limit.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

They passed that law here in IL. Think it worked? NOPE.
Same thing here with congestion. Should I have to squeeze in and tailgate and be tailgated in the center lane and leave the left lane open for some ******* ??
I am passing in the left lane at 75. The center lane is going 65. The speed limit is 55. I have to get out of the way for the guy who wants to go 85? He can pass me when I'm done passing, which with chicago traffic may not happen until I need to exit.
The preceding is all hypothetical I would never knowing exceed the posting speed limit.

I'm in total agreement with you. The problem is that too many think of the left lane as the "fast lane" rather than the 'passing lane'. It is meant for that purpose. It is NOT for driving as fast as you want.

If I'm driving the speed limit, or something above (usually within 5mph) I should not be passed except for emergencies. The lane is NOT intended for those who want to drive at any speed they so choose. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm driving at the limit or above, pass me any way you can find.

Why should I be forced to zig-zag all over the road because of some idiot who can't control himself.

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
The way I see it, I use the left lane as a passing/ fast lane. I usually won't stay left unless the lane to the right is moving at a slower pace. If I'm doing the speed limit and passing someone else, and see that someone is tailgating me, I will break right as a courtesy. I try to stay out of the way of those in a hurry, because thats what I like when I'm going above the speed of traffic to my right and there is someone in front of me. I dislike when I'm in the left lane and someone is just keeping up with traffic, if thats the case- then I'll flash my beams and/or flip them off if they don't yield. Sorry .

My philosophy in driving in general, but mostly highway driving- is maintaining fluidity. Brake only when absolutely necessary, if not necessary- you're disrupting the flow of traffic if there are vehicles behind you, and wasting not only yours- but other people's gas. Instead of braking, shift into another lane not obstructed by a slower moving or stopped vehicle in front of you, things like that. For the life of me, I can't understand idiots driving with their face 6 inches away from the windshield with a death grip on 10 and 2. People who feel the need to flash their brake lights every 5 secs, WTF!!! I don't care if you want to go slow, but the whole point is not to disrupt traffic, stay in the slow or middle lanes and make sure there is space for people to pass. End rant lol.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

End rant lol.

Agreed.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

How long have you lived in Florida? Our roads are so packed that most of the time there will be no way to enforce these laws.

What is a shame is the arrogance that someone behind you is just that and if they toot the horn then they are insulting you not asking you to move out of the way.

I will have lived here in South Orlando for three years this August. I don't know what you are talking about when you mention packed roads. I used to lived in the North East, where we do have packed roads. Have you ever been stuck in a 12 hour traffic jam on an interstate? I have.
Traffic in Florida is a breeze compared to traffic in the North East. I've been on Rt. 4 during rush hour several times and the traffic just keeps moving along. A 10 to 20 minute delay is not the end of the world when compared to an hour or more delay. Other than the rush hour, the highways here are fairly empty. In Connecticut they were packed all the time and could easily become parking lots if someone broke down or because of road construction or accidents. People up there love to rubber neck for some reason.
I have yet to see packed traffic on the Greenway, no matter what time I have been on it, unless you count the toll lanes for those without an SunPass. I haven't seen any packed traffic on the turnpike either. You don't know how nice you really have it down here when it comes to traffic. If the traffic here upsets you I suggest you never go to New York city and drive, you will have a nervous breakdown. I can certainly say I have learned driving patience after driving in the North East for over 30 years. I just stick to the right lane down here and drive the speed limit. The 65 and 70 MPH limits are higher than the 55 MPH limit I was used to driving up in the North east. Here I can actually use my cruise control because the traffic is light enough to allow it's use. If someone wants to honk their horn behind me, when I'm in the right lane, I don't care. Let them go around me in the left lane like they are supposed to.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I will have lived here in South Orlando for three years this August. I don't know what you are talking about when you mention packed roads. I used to lived in the North East, where we do have packed roads. Have you ever been stuck in a 12 hour traffic jam on an interstate? I have.
Traffic in Florida is a breeze compared to traffic in the North East. I've been on Rt. 4 during rush hour several times and the traffic just keeps moving along. A 10 to 20 minute delay is not the end of the world when compared to an hour or more delay. Other than the rush hour, the highways here are fairly empty. In Connecticut they were packed all the time and could easily become parking lots if someone broke down or because of road construction or accidents. People up there love to rubber neck for some reason.
I have yet to see packed traffic on the Greenway, no matter what time I have been on it, unless you count the toll lanes for those without an SunPass. I haven't seen any packed traffic on the turnpike either. You don't know how nice you really have it down here when it comes to traffic. If the traffic here upsets you I suggest you never go to New York city and drive, you will have a nervous breakdown. I can certainly say I have learned driving patience after driving in the North East for over 30 years. I just stick to the right lane down here and drive the speed limit. The 65 and 70 MPH limits are higher than the 55 MPH limit I was used to driving up in the North east. Here I can actually use my cruise control because the traffic is light enough to allow it's use. If someone wants to honk their horn behind me, when I'm in the right lane, I don't care. Let them go around me in the left lane like they are supposed to.

I spent two weeks commuting from Lakeland to Tampa for school. 3 to 5 lanes packed solid, if you don't think ahead you will end up having to get off and back track. If you can get off.
I don't normally travel so when compelled to get on the interstate I do so when most of the state is thinking the same thing. I would hate to get a ticket for driving in the left lane, if I do you can bet I will fight it and say I was just passing everyone
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

In New Jersey we have a "Keep right except to pass" law. No cruising in the left lane, just passing.

I get to stay in the left lane because I am usually going fast enough that I am always passing someone LOL
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

If going the speed limit, I think there is enough traffic to justify being in the left lane. I don't like gettin stuck behind someone in the left lane doing the limit but I have no right to complain about someone breaking the law.
If going the speed limit, I don't like the fact that the cop is speeding.

If you're passing the cars in the center lane, you're cool. Obviously, the car doing the filming had plenty of space to manuver. You also have no idea where the cop was going and why. (Fresh Donuts?) Or how long he was behind what may have been an oblivious driver.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
That looked like a NJ state trooper to... wouldn't surprise me.
PFF
System Bot
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

I'm in total agreement with you. The problem is that too many think of the left lane as the "fast lane" rather than the 'passing lane'. It is meant for that purpose. It is NOT for driving as fast as you want.

If I'm driving the speed limit, or something above (usually within 5mph) I should not be passed except for emergencies. The lane is NOT intended for those who want to drive at any speed they so choose. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm driving at the limit or above, pass me any way you can find.

Why should I be forced to zig-zag all over the road because of some idiot who can't control himself.

If you're driving your five over, and come up behind someone doing exactly the limit, shouldn't they move over for you? Particularly if the other lanes are going the same speed? Here it's the law, but wouldn't it be the just plain right thing to do? You're undoubtably familiar with the phrase "Slower traffic keep right."?

I can't cite chapter and verse on Texas law, but I suspect they have a similar law. If you're squatting in the left lane, you're probably breaking the law.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Zeb

4847 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by Gecko:

I get to stay in the left lane because I am usually going fast enough that I am always passing someone LOL

Gecko, do you recognize that stretch of road? I know I'm familiar with it, but I haven't been on it in years. It's likey more up your way. Can you ID it?

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 04-24-2011).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Zeb

4847 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

That looked like a NJ state trooper to... wouldn't surprise me.

It is an NJ Trooper. I'm familiar with those cars. Thankfully, not up close & personal for many years.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Zeb

4847 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Dang, hit "Quote" instead of "Edit"

[This message has been edited by Zeb (edited 04-24-2011).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

I agree. Even on long trips I hang out in the right lane and when I come up onto a slower vehicle I pass on the left and then get back in the right lane. Of course I'm older now, back in my twenties I drove in the left lane alot, still if one of the right lanes was clear I'd use it.

Actually once in my twenties I was cruising the speed limit in medium traffic in the left lane and a cop came up behind me and told me over his PA to move over. I did and he went zooming off past me.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-24-2011).]

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I'm not personally attacking you, but if a person is going 75, the majority of the traffic is going 65, and the speed limit is 55, you should be in the center lane going 65.

People in the passing lane going 75 is contributing to the problem. That lane should be for when someone going 65 comes up on someone going 55.

The way you describe the situation, if a car in the center lane suddenly needs to pass a car in his lane, he goes to the left, at 65, the guy going 75 comes up on him, hits his brakes, everyone around him hits their brakes. The "rubber band effect" is now in full force. The center lane slows down to 55, people start changing lanes, it's gridlock.

Instead, say the left lane is for passing only, The car in the center has to go past a car going 55, puts on his blinker, passes him, and gets back over.

Like I said, I'm not saying you are wrong, or right, that's just how it ends up. If everyone actually paid attention to the "laws" that are put in place for these things, it would be such a nice commute.

And I have been in all the major cities in rush hour. Boston was my favorite as they allowed use of the breakdown lane during rush hour. The worst so far for me was LA. Second worst would probably be Brooklyn. Chicago was bad, but almost always because of construction, and really really poorly marked highways.

Brad
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Texas law is that slower traffic keep right and that the left lane is for passing only. In many places signage to that effect is in place. However, fines from speeding tickets are higher so passing and lane laws are generally ignored by both the driving public and by the officials charged with enforcing those laws. The results speak for themselves...
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Not taken personally at all. I actually agree with you that traffic is caused by slacking and assholes jumping lanes. I was just describing what is in practice.
Personally, I'd be happy with more cops out enforcing the traffic laws so people didn't think they could just set the speed limits themselves, but that will never happen because it would result in too much lost revenue.
My commute this morning, got stuck behind a few people cruising in the left lane. it's annoying, but maybe they save me from a speeding ticket someday.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock