Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  iPhones are tracking your every move....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

iPhones are tracking your every move.... by Synthesis
Started on: 04-21-2011 01:53 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: RenegadeShadow on 05-04-2011 02:57 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Flagged as political because this will turn political...

Security researchers recently discovered that the iPhone operating system (iOS4) is gathering data via GPS locks, or when the GPS is disabled, by triangulating your position based on the cell towers.

This data can be used to track where you have been over the last several months, or even year, and is stored in an unencrypted format on the phone.

To make matters even more disturbing, whenever you connect the phone to a PC to sync the data, the location data is transferred to the PC and stored in an unencrypted format.

Read More at CNN
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I hate Apple and all of their products. I also happen to detest cell phones. Call me backwards but I don't care. I refuse to use any of their products or waste my hard earned money on these rip off gadgets. Their aim is to suck every last penny out of everyone, get everyone hooked on them like a drug, and pry into all of your information so they can better market more crap and start the whole cycle over again. They probably want to know where you've been so they can figure out the best places to put up more of their advertisements for their products and brain wash everyone a little more. Or, they want to know where to put the next Apple store so they can have line ups that are 10 days long with more Apple zombies waiting to get their hands on the next crappy Apple product that comes out.
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I hate Apple and all of their products. I also happen to detest cell phones. Call me backwards but I don't care. I refuse to use any of their products or waste my hard earned money on these rip off gadgets. Their aim is to suck every last penny out of everyone, get everyone hooked on them like a drug, and pry into all of your information so they can better market more crap and start the whole cycle over again. They probably want to know where you've been so they can figure out the best places to put up more of their advertisements for their products and brain wash everyone a little more. Or, they want to know where to put the next Apple store so they can have line ups that are 10 days long with more Apple zombies waiting to get their hands on the next crappy Apple product that comes out.

Don't hold anything back, tell us how you really feel.

I read a report about something similar to this a while back about Apple using the onboard camera and mic to "verify" who was using the phone, and the EULA explicitly allowed such data mining with the privacy policy pretty much allowing Apple to do whatever they wanted to with said data.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Just don't get iphones. I have a "simple" cellphone with texting blocked. It is a friggen phone, call me!
RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this on the news

scary, its BIG BROTHER
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
The iphone is just an over priced, very fragile piece of crap.. Half my friends who have one, they are broken in some form or fashion. I don't even have a regular cell phone.. If I'm not home, I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!!
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
All this time everyone assumed that Apple was represented by the chick throwing the hammer. If we only knew then what we know now....

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I'm not an Apple hater, by any means, but feel that their prices are out of proportion for what you get, and the products themselves are over-rated...

Besides, Open Source is a good thing (<3 Android)...

But this is a bad thing. A very bad thing...

Hope Apple gets smacked for it, and hard..

This will also slap the "Smug" off of the faces of all of the Apple Fanbois who think Apple can do no wrong...
THAT is my biggest issue with Apple and Apple product owners... The smugness...

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 04-21-2011).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
It isn't just Apple, every new cell phone must do this to comply with Phase II of Enhanced 911 Service.

FCC Consumer Facts

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 04-21-2011).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

It isn't just Apple, every cell phone must do this to comply with Phase I or II of Enhanced 911 Service.

FCC Consumer Facts

That is different from what this is discussing...

Cellular providers are required to use and store that data, but it is secured in their systems and usually only available to law enforcement either by warrant or in emergency situations.

In THIS case, the phone is storing the data itself, when it has no legitimate reason to store the data.. And then syncing it with the computer and storing it there unencrypted.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Right, a smart phone is a GPS receiver and if you want to use that app, it has to be there.

edit: http://gps.about.com/od/tre...a/smartphone_gps.htm

Apple iPhone3G
With more than 400 navigation apps in its store, the iPhone3G is still the champ in location-based services and apps availability. GPS apps recently covered here include Snocator, Groundspeak for geocaching, and GPS Lite.

Here's another article similar to the OP link: http://www.pcworld.com/busi...ity_good_enough.html

Google Android phones are no better. Android 3.0 will bring with it some powerful encryption features, and there's talk of a new open-source project called Guardian that will add fundamental encryption to Android and could be integrated into Android devices by handset manufacturers. But right now Android phones and tablets have almost no data protection

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 04-21-2011).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I am very open about my hate, and disgust for everything apple.

From the craptastic products, to locking out functionality. Basically forcing you to "hack" something you own to be able to use it for more than just a game player.

To the fanboys that would drink Steve Job's piss if he told them it was lemonade, and tell everybody that it was the best lemonade they had ever had, and very well priced at 200 bucks a cup.

It's all smoke and mirrors, and I couldn't have been happier when I saw this on the news. apple has been crapping on you all for years, but now that someone has actually proved it, how are you going to react?

Brad
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I doubt he would even have to tell them it was lemonade.

"Here's my pee--drink it--did I mention it's MINE?!"
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Why do you care?

Most of the 'facebook' generation seem to want everyone to know where they are at all times...

I'd be more concerned if the thing took pics and/or video without you knowin' about it...

But I guess this is some huge horrible invasion of privacy. Guess I feel it's not too hard to get this sorta data anyway...

To me, if you use apple, you're already accepting so much crap anyway...iTunes, appstore, no flash, no 'adult content', etc...

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

...I'd be more concerned if the thing took pics and/or video without you knowin' about it...

It does.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
The most surprising thing is that this is news. It's been going on for a couple of years now.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
i donot own one and am not buying one. my phone is 7yrs. old and works just fine. i only turn it on when i need too.thay cannot track me, thay can kiss my gass.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Makes you wonder... does android do this to?
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Any new phone can. I have nothing to back this up but I believe that the voice recognition software built into your phone automatically flags certain words that you say so that your conversations can be listened to later by some monitoring group. But then again I don't really know what I am talking about. I do know that the only way to prevent it is to remove the battery from your phone. Btw, you can't take the battery out of your Iphone. (Not easilly anyway).

Privacy is dead and being chopped up by the buzzards. Get used to it. Any new appliance that you buy that has internet connectivity of any sort will be spying on you. Even the water meter in my house now has wireless so that it no longer requires a person to come and read it. I have no idea if they are tracking my usage or just the total quantity. My guess is both. Someday the government will probably want to monitor your thermostat too.

Progressive insurance company will give you a "Snapshot discount" if you agree to allow a tracking/monitoring device to be installed in your car to monitor your driving behavior and frequency. How long before they want to make it mandatory? Btw, every new car has a black box that records many things like speed, g-force, throttle and brake position etc. The new Nissan GTRs that are sold to the Japanese market won't let the engine produce full power unless the GPS senses that it is at a track. It's probably coming here too. Cars will someday automatically report your speed to the authorities causing your bank account to be instantly debited. Even if you drive nice you will still pay a mileage tax.

Its coming.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
easy fix.... don't use a cell phone

Frankly, if someone wanted to track me, great. Most of the time my phone is in and and out of service, so I guess I would look like I could travel though space.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

how are you going to react?

Brad

By doing nothing.

Until the data is transferred somewhere without my permission and used to identify *me* personally its still my data, encrypted on my computer ( my machine is whole disk encrypted ). So what?

And you all can remove your tinfoil hats, its all about future marketing plans.. Much as everyone online does now. Got an account with Amazon for example? They track what you have done and check out your cookies to offer products to you. Google tracks too, for their marketing. Does that make them evil?

Ya, targeted marketing is annoying as hell but its not *evil*.

EDIT: Some debunking here too... http://caffeine.shugendo.or...-not-get-hysterical/ and at the bottom a link that says androids are doing the same thing.. heh.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-22-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

It can just as easily. So can blackberry. I know of several companies who do track their BB's location.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-22-2011).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by RACE:

The new Nissan GTRs that are sold to the Japanese market won't let the engine produce full power unless the GPS senses that it is at a track. It's probably coming here too.

I think in the US they would be hit with a class action for selling a defective product not consistent with their advertising.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Steve Jobs: Apple doesn't track anyone

According to MacRumors, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has reportedly taken it upon himself to respond to an email from a concerned iOS user. Here’s the inquiring email:

“Steve,
Could you please explain the necessity of the passive location-tracking tool embedded in my iPhone? It’s kind of unnerving knowing that my exact location is being recorded at all times. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me before I switch to a Droid. They don’t track me.”

And here’s how Jobs allegedly responded:

“Oh yes they do. We don’t track anyone. The info circulating around is false.”

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Yes... two file on phone.
Only diff files aren't sent to Google by default and files have limit... 10-20 entries for one and 200 entries for other.
But... Once data is written, data is good for ages... Only time data is kill as when other need more space.
Simple? Use DBAN like software.... Using DBAN or other HD wipes don't work well for Flash memory. Read how Flash memory work...

Search tech news

GPS tracking phone + ICE "Border Searches" = trouble for phone owners.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Any new phone can. I have nothing to back this up but I believe that the voice recognition software built into your phone automatically flags certain words that you say so that your conversations can be listened to later by some monitoring group. But then again I don't really know what I am talking about.

Its coming.

I've "screamed" about this before on here, but I think I was ignored.

I'm not sure what's happened in the past few years, but I was the guy setting up the systems in the switch sites. I didn't have clearance for everything, there were places that were only wired in place when nobody else was there.

There are buildings the size of several football fields that are full of data storage. Every phone call that goes through these switch sites is recorded, every call you ever make has to go through these switch sites. Texts are stored as well.

We set up "mirror" sites where the data was mirrored from the main backbone into large storage systems. no drop in signal, no way to tell it was recorded, the data was merely copied as it went past.

All of this was stored for the Federal Government, not the individual phone companies. I have no idea what they did with all this data, or why it was stored. I also have no idea how long the data was stored for. I was told that they had the data, and if something came up they could then get warrants for past calls. I'm sure the Patriot act did away with most of the laws surrounding this.

It doesn't matter what phone you use, or that you shut it off. I'm sure data is recorded on who you call, for how long, what you say, and what towers were used. Even on an old phone. The switch to digital has just made this easier.

Brad
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post

Any new phone can. I have nothing to back this up but I believe that the voice recognition software built into your phone automatically flags certain words that you say so that your conversations can be listened to later by some monitoring group. But then again I don't really know what I am talking about. I do know that the only way to prevent it is to remove the battery from your phone. Btw, you can't take the battery out of your Iphone. (Not easilly anyway).

Privacy is dead and being chopped up by the buzzards. Get used to it. Any new appliance that you buy that has internet connectivity of any sort will be spying on you. Even the water meter in my house now has wireless so that it no longer requires a person to come and read it. I have no idea if they are tracking my usage or just the total quantity. My guess is both. Someday the government will probably want to monitor your thermostat too.

Progressive insurance company will give you a "Snapshot discount" if you agree to allow a tracking/monitoring device to be installed in your car to monitor your driving behavior and frequency. How long before they want to make it mandatory? Btw, every new car has a black box that records many things like speed, g-force, throttle and brake position etc. The new Nissan GTRs that are sold to the Japanese market won't let the engine produce full power unless the GPS senses that it is at a track. It's probably coming here too. Cars will someday automatically report your speed to the authorities causing your bank account to be instantly debited. Even if you drive nice you will still pay a mileage tax.

Its coming.

These are the kind of thoughts that prevent me from sleeping at night.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
This guy has released a free app that deletes the file every 30 min (for you 'lemmings' that have an iPhone).

http://www.edmontonjournal....e/4657791/story.html
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post

. The new Nissan GTRs that are sold to the Japanese market won't let the engine produce full power unless the GPS senses that it is at a track. It's probably coming here too. .

The reason for this on the Japanese market models is because Japan has a law limiting all cars to a maximum of 180kph (112mph) on the road. Even police cars are limited!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

This guy has released a free app that deletes the file every 30 min (for you 'lemmings' that have an iPhone).

Deleting Files won't work. Any Flash memory as same problem. Even with "wiping" can get files back most time. Do not confuse with Flash as a Hard/Floppy Disk. They operate in far different ways in "hardware" level. (See "Wear leveling" and search Google etc. Most Flash controllers use Wear Leveling.) Any police/ICE/etc with dump all flash, including deleted file.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
This is news? Really? Android does this also (do you _really_ think GOOGLE doesn't gather that information? Are you kidding me? Their whole business model is based on gathering information!).

And, you think that even a plain-jane cell phone isn't tracked? Guess again. If 'they' want to know where you have been, all they have to do is triangulate your location based on cell towers you have been near, which the carriers are quite happy to track (and do).

The ONLY way to NOT be able to be tracked is to NOT use any cellular devices. Otherwise, you are 'on the radar'.
dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
More interesting stuff, about the Android-Google evilness.....

http://arstechnica.com/tech...ocation-tracking.ars

RenegadeShadow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RenegadeShadowSend a Private Message to RenegadeShadowDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock